Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Nuutinen has another big game!
    She sure did, along with several others. Gracious in her post game comments, she called it a great team win. After today’s 8-5 win, the Lakers are 9-9-3, and heading into a bye week.

This was a wild game, but it was a fun one. I thought yesterday’s game had a lot of penalties with 15, but today had 20 in total! And the special teams were going, 7 pp goals and 2 short handed goals in a 13 goal game. Madness.

Yesterday looked sloppy and chopped up on both sides until the third period, I thought, plus tons of blocked shots, no one could get anything through.. I was thinking Colgate was heating up in the third, but then the last five minutes was all Hurst, even when they were short handed. Isbell almost won it in regulation and in OT, but as everyone knows it ended in a tie.

Then the offensive output by both teams today! I happened to be at this game, and my favorite goal was definitely Tanskanen’s short handed goal early in the third to tie it. She skated down the right side onna two on one, took the shot and went bar down short side. So nice.

I will grab the links to highlights and post them in a minute. Best highlight for me was the post game skate. My daughter had a lot of fun (asked me when the next one is already) and the players were so sweet to all the kids. That was really nice of the players and I thank them for that.

Comment

Re: Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

8-5 win: https://mobile.***********/HurstWHoc...80658116276224

1-1 tie: https://mobile.***********/HurstWHoc...78040533934081

Comment

https://hurstathletics.com/news/2019...on-at-rit.aspx

The Lakers are at RIT this weekend, and currently sit one point back of RMU, who is in first place in the league. RIT has 8 points, 4 back of Hurst, and tied for third in the CHA. Last year RIT was in last place all year, with just one conference win.

Really curious to see this series. Hurst has the upper hand in skill, but in conference games are hard fought and RIT seems to be working harder and has more confidence this year. One comment on RIT’s success over Syracuse - Syracuse seemed to be quitting on plays, and simply getting out worked when looking at the goal plays. So I don’t know how much of a measuring stick that series is, it seemed more of a commentary on Syracuse than RIT, although credit to RIT for their improvement this season, and I guess the takeaway is don’t be lazy, they’ll make you pay.

Last year in four games, the Lakers outscored RIT 17-2. In at least one of the games the Lakers had to work at it for a while to get the first goal, then the floodgates opened, so hopefully hey weather whatever tomorrow throws at them. RIT’s goalie Lanteigne has the second best save percentage in the conference, at .940 and has seen more shots than any CHA goaltender this year, in conference.

Looking forward to the series. Syracuse vs RMU, and Lindenwood vs Penn State as well this weekend/Monday. Could be some shuffling in the standings.
        Last edited by Lindsay; 01-17-2019, 10:22 PM.

Comment

The remainder of this CHA regular season is going to be really interesting. I don't think Mercyhurst has anyone to worry about as far as winning the regular season title, but this conference always gets weird as the regular season gets closer to the end. Feel free to channel your "Mercyhurst hockey alum" karma to the team and take RIT down a few notches.

Comment

Well, credit to RIT. They beat the Lakers 4-2 tonight despite being outshot 41-32. Definitely a hard working group, on every single puck race. Short turnaround as I believe tomorrow's game is at noon. Goal scorers for Mercyhurst were Nuutinen (Tanskanen, Knott) and Fiesler (Nuutinen, Vasko). Kennedy Blair got the start for the Lakers.

I didn't see the first Laker goal, but the second one was Vasko coming up with a puck behind the net and getting it to Nuutinen down low. Fiesler ambled down the slot from the point and Nuutinen fed her a nice pass, which she shot through traffic into the net.

Two RIT goals were on 2-1s....their skaters had a lot of time and space to skate the puck. Third goal was a power play goal, and fourth was an empty net. Kendall Cornine looked good for RIT but was held off the scoresheet and RIT still managed a win. That's a huge difference from last year. Anyway...go Syracuse vs RMU. That one was tied last I looked.

Comment

Syracuse and Robert Morris are 5 minutes into the third with a free stream here, if you want to watch how it ends:

https://cuse.com/watch/?Live=5012&type=Live

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                Syracuse and Robert Morris are 5 minutes into the third with a free stream here, if you want to watch how it ends:

https://cuse.com/watch/?Live=5012&type=Live
                Thanks Zed! I tuned in just in time to see Syracuse have a goal waved off, then they won in OT. Doesn’t look like RMU have Kirsten Welsh in the lineup yet, which is a big loss for them.

Comment

What a finish, eh? Syracuse owned the OT period, and good for them for getting through the slump they've been in.

Comment

What a finish, eh? Syracuse owned the OT period, and good for them for getting through the slump they've been in.
                    For sure, they looked like their old selves and I was reminded they played in the CHA final just 2 seasons ago. Should be intense rematches today.

Comment

Bummer to see today's game is postponed, but it was a good idea with this winter storm coming. RIT would have had a very nasty bus ride home tonight.

Comment

Bummer to see today's game is postponed, but it was a good idea with this winter storm coming. RIT would have had a very nasty bus ride home tonight.
                        The game was at RIT...
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I think Mercyhurst caught a huge break by having game postponed. RIT coach is headed for CHA coach of the year. Now Mercyhurst has time to go over the tape and make corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                            I think Mercyhurst caught a huge break by having game postponed. RIT coach is headed for CHA coach of the year. Now Mercyhurst has time to go over the tape and make corrections.
                            Interesting. You may be right, but I was thinking it sucks to marinate with a loss for a week. Would rather get right back at them, had weather permitted. Sometimes a loss lights a fire, like RMU in Sunday, or Hurst after their loss to Lindenwood. But who knows. The good news is both hurst and RIT have one more bye week where they could perhaps schedule a game to avoid playing 3 in a week.

I don’t think there is a ton of tape to study. Mercyhurst was sluggish, and some calls and non calls went RIT’s way. A couple plays against Nuutinen should surely have been penalties, her getting hauled down or having her stick ripped out of her hands.

Davis and RIT have exceeded expectations for sure, and it looks like Penn State is gearing up for a run as well, as of late. Curious to see what transpires in next weeks CHA action.

Comment

You could be right, but I may give more credit to the detail your coach puts into the game than you do. Mercyhurst may get outplayed sometimes, but they are definitely not outcoached.

I think I have read enough comments on Penn State to know there is a perception that Penn State has potential. As far as RIT, I don't think anybody and maybe not even in their own locker room, did anyone envision this. The drawback could be another tech school, RPI is also having an unexpected season. You maybe onto something with Kampresal if Penn State finishes strong. They maybe this year's version of just enough. Just enough D, goaltending and offense to be dangerous.

Comment

The game that was postponed against RIT has been rescheduled for January 31 at 5:00 (Eastern). It's not showing up on the Mercyhurst schedule yet, but it's on RIT's schedule.

Comment

Working...
                                X