Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Lakers lost 6-1 to Wisconsin tonight. I was only able to watch half the game as the feed cut out. Hopefully that’s resolved tomorrow, whether it was me or Hurst.

The speed of the game in the first was amazing, and Mercyhurst hung with Wisconsin. There was only one shift where Wisc really had them penned in the zone. Lakers has a decent power play in the first, getting set up getting shots, looked good.

Meanwhile the dreaded Wisc power play went two for two in the first, with the 2nd pp goal late in the first. Wisc was justifiably heavily favored to win this game, but it was an evenly played game to that point, and the last two minutes of the first kind of just broke open the game. 2nd was all Wisc for the short amount I saw.

I’ve seen snips of a few different series in the past two weeks, real variety in speed from series to series. Was really impressed by the pace of this game.

Blair played in net for Hurst. Lone goal was Dobson from Nuutinen and Fiesler.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 10-05-2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Congrats to sophomore goaltender Leah Klassen of Mercyhurst, who got her first college start, vs Wisconsin on Saturday. Klassen made 35 saves on 39 shots. Lakers fell 5-3 to the Badgers and travel to Syracuse this weekend for CHA play.

I wrote more observations about the Lakers start here:
      http://lakerfanhockey.blogspot.com/2...-look.html?m=1

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        Congrats to sophomore goaltender Leah Klassen of Mercyhurst, who got her first college start, vs Wisconsin on Saturday. Klassen made 35 saves on 39 shots. Lakers fell 5-3 to the Badgers and travel to Syracuse this weekend for CHA play.

That was a great read on your new blog, Lindsay! Santa should bring you a shiny new .com name for Christmas so you can turn your writing into a full-on website. I didn't know you're a former Mercyhurst hockey player - coolness rating of +10! You were in on Mercyhurst's start in the CHA, and obviously played for Mike Sisti for four years, so you have a very unique insight into Mercyhurst women's hockey, the CHA, conference championships, the national tournament - and what a triple OT national tournament game feels like. Cool stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
          That was a great read on your new blog, Lindsay!
          Thank you Zed! I appreciate the kind words. I have a lot of happy memories from playing. I love seeing the game grow, and admire today’s players for their talents. They get better and better and I’m happy to watch them and be part of the chatter on the message boards with everyone here.
          Last edited by Lindsay; 10-08-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

...I wrote more observations about the Lakers start here:
            Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
            That was a great read on your new blog, Lindsay! Santa should bring you a shiny new .com name for Christmas so you can turn your writing into a full-on website. I didn't know you're a former Mercyhurst hockey player - coolness rating of +10! You were in on Mercyhurst's start in the CHA, and obviously played for Mike Sisti for four years, so you have a very unique insight into Mercyhurst women's hockey, the CHA, conference championships, the national tournament - and what a triple OT national tournament game feels like. Cool stuff!
            What Zed Said.

Lindsay, I'd encourage you to keep posting links as each of your "sporadic" blog posts come to fruition. USCHO Posters will definitely enjoy them.

Comment

I too enjoy your blog and will be interested in future spots. I too agree with your frustrations with the issues with the game feeds this weekend. Clarkson RMU game one feed started late and game 2 the feed did not start until the beginning of the third period. I emailed the Director of Cheel Area during the 2nd game and he emailed me back that it was an ESPN issue (they had an encoder problem what ever that means). I will bet if it was a football game that was going on ESPN+ that the problem would have been fixed a lot quicker.
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Thanks PGB and vicb. I truly appreciate it.

Here’s hoping the feeds and encoder issues get sorted out once and for all. I agree about FB getting fixed ASAP if the scenario ever arose, lol.

Comment

Lakers get their first win of the season tonight, 4-2 at Syracuse. Senior goalie Sarah McDonnell got the start, making 23 saves on the night. Maddi Welch started in net for 'Cuse, both right handed catching goalies. McDonnell was solid, and excellent at times. She came up big on a 5 on 3 penalty kill in the second, as well as made a breakaway stop shortly after.

Lakers took the lead in the 2nd on a Tanskanen goal that was scored from the goal line, close to the net. The 'Cuse answered a minute later with a pp bomb from the point, top shelf. Lakers took the lead again with ten seconds left in the second, on a nifty little play where Dobson stripped the 'Cuse D of the puck in the slot, dropped it to Nuutinen, who stickhandled once and dished to Knott for Knott's first goal of the season.

I didn't watch the third, but I see the Lakers took a 3-1 lead on another Knott goal, with assists from freshman Liliane Perreault and sophomore Megan Korzack. The insurance goal was needed as 'Cuse answered, making it 3-2. A fourth Laker goal came from defender Rachel Marmen.

The two periods I saw were somewhat even, with each team generating pressure at times. Rowswell of Syracuse generated a lot of chances for the Orange. Free stream was good quality and a nice job done by the pxp guys.
                  Last edited by Lindsay; 10-13-2018, 06:22 AM.

Comment

The Lakers swept the Orange in a 1-0 shutout on Saturday. Senior Sarah McDonnell got the shutout. Next up, the Lakers host Robert Morris.
                    More thoughts here: http://lakerfanhockey.blogspot.com/2...e-for.html?m=1

Comment

Lakers earned a win over visiting RMU tonight, 4-2. Special teams were the difference, with the Lakers going 2 of 5 on the pp, and RMU going 0 for 6. Lakers also scored a short handed goal. RMU was up 2-0 in the first before giving up four goals.

Play of the game for me was watching the Lakers kill a Tanskanen penalty in the 2nd. Lots of chances, chaos and blocked shots that culminated in I believe defender Thiessen absorbing a shot and trying to collapse on the puck and get a whistle. RMU took the lumber to her (as is expected in that situation), the puck came out, but the Lakers still managed to clear the puck out of the zone, and kill the penalty.

Shortly after the kill, the Lakers had the puck in the RMU zone, Dobson fed Vasko the puck as she came down the slot, tie game, and the Lakers took momentum from there. Other Laker goals were scored by Pinto, Fieseler, and Hine. McDonnell got the start in net for Hurst.

The teams meet again tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Here’s a link to a tweet with 1 minute video of the Hurst goals. Some pretty ones:

https://mobile.***********/HurstWHoc...39993632153600

Comment

Lakers fell 5-1 to RMU yesterday. Shots were 23-21 in favor of RMU. Three RMU goals were the result of breakaways, two of which came from unforced errors; the other two RMU goals were PP goals. Lone Laker goal was scored by Vasko, on the PP.

It’s early in the season so can’t really say if this was characteristic of this Laker team; I chalk it up to a game where everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Will be interesting to see how Hurst responds next week.

Highlights are on the RMU site: https://rmucolonials.com/news/2018/1...cha-split.aspx

Both the Lakers and Colonials are now 3-5 on the season. Next up, the Lakers host Penn State.
                          Last edited by Lindsay; 10-21-2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

The Lakers host Penn State this weekend, starting at 3pm today. Last time out these two teams tied each other twice. This is the first CHA series of the year for Penn State, compared to Hurst who has 4 league games under their belt.

Lakers will need to contain Heising who leads Penn State with 10 points in 8 games. Lakers point leader through 8 games is Summer Rae Dobson with six points.

Here is Mercyhurst’s preview of the series:
                            https://hurstathletics.com/news/2018...enn-state.aspx

Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

https://mobile.***********/HurstWHoc...51090347376643

Above tweet link includes video of the two Laker goals in tonight’s 2-1 win over Penn State.

First goal is by Emma Nuutinen. Sam Isbell forechecks the Penn State player below the goal line. Penn State player throws the puck up the wall to a waiting Nuutinen. Nuutinen scores. Second goal has Emily Pinto attempting a wrap around and the puck pops out to to sophomore defender KK Thiessen who catches the puck on her stick, winds up, and scores the eventual game winner.

Unfortunately no video of Penn State’s goal to share.

Senior Sarah McDonnell got her fifth start in net and is now 4-1. The Lakers took 33 shots, the most Penn State has given up all year.

Comment

1-1 after one against Penn State. Each team has a power play goal, both rebounds. Mercyhurst controlled the play for close to 17 minutes in the first, although Penn State had three nice rushes, #16 and #21 As I recall. Only after the first goal did Penn State get sustained time in thenMercyhurst zone, and then made them pay on the Pp.

Hurst penalty was unfortunate. Nuutinen was going one on two, possessing the puck and almost had a scoring opportunity. She braced her body for contact with a Penn State defender, the defender went down and Nuutinen got a high sticking penalty. Ugh. Not sure what happened there, whether it was a good call or not.

Hurst goal was Knott banging in a rebound, from Tanskanen and Nuutinen. Nice period out of Tanskanen, buzzing all around.

On the Penn State PP, nice job by the defenders keeping the puck in the zone, as Hurst made clearing attempts. It was one of those shifts where you knew it had the potential to end badly (depending on your perspective of course) and it did, with Penn State scoring in the final minute of the frame.

Comment

Working...
                                X