Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Re: Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Still 2-1 after two, RIT leading. Lakers lead in shots 22-15. Lots of special teams this period as RIT had 2 penalties and Lakers had 3. I will have to check if Gout on RIT is a freshman. I hear her name non stop. What a different team from last year.

One of Hurstís best chances was Vasko on a near breakaway, took the shot and the goalie bobbled it, but the refs blew the whistle even though the puck was sitting on the ice in front of the goalie. Ugh.

Nuutinen getting some chances, Molly Blasen skating really well too, hopefully the Lakers can get some goals in the third.

RIT pxp doing a good job, but filming the scoreboard between whistles would help a bit. As a viewer not much sense of how much time has gone by.

Lakers win 3-2 in OT. 3rd period flew by, Lakers dominated in shots 17-2. Vasko got her second of the game on a give and go with junior Maggie Knott. Knott was parked below the goal line, Vasko fed her the puck and got it right back on her forehand as she skated by the defender, then shot the puck past Lanteigne. Other assist to freshman Sarah Nelles.

OT was all Hurst. Winning goal was on a sequence from senior Vilma Tanskanen to Sophomore defender KK Thiessen at the point, who got the puck on net and Dobson got the goal.

Nice team win, nice job by McDonnell, not a ton of shots but some bus saves. Lakers are 12-10-3 on the season, and within 1 point of league leader RMU.

Lots of players playing well, not showing up on the scoresheet every game but getting it done, and but itís going to help down the stretch for sure. Thiessen with the big play in OT might be an example.

Next up, hosting Syracuse.

Edit: fixed the 2nd Vasko goal, I thought the passer was Isbell.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 02-02-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Where did RIT find the juice this year, after last year's embarrassing run? Was Scott McDonald that bad for the team?

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Where did RIT find the juice this year, after last year's embarrassing run? Was Scott McDonald that bad for the team?
    Lol, great rhetorical question!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Simple: They made a great coaching hire. He is not complaining about his players, he has instituted a system that plays to his players' strengths and is developing his talent. He also lucked out on the goalie.
    Last edited by Reddington; 02-03-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Hahaha - I knew you'd like that!

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Hahaha - I knew you'd like that!
    Lol obviously! He was so toxic. I knew a few girls that played there when he was the coach. They said he was a completely different person when he was recruiting them compared to who he was once they got there. They grew to hate him within one semester and that was extremely common within that program.

Lol obviously! He was so toxic. I knew a few girls that played there when he was the coach. They said he was a completely different person when he was recruiting them compared to who he was once they got there. They grew to hate him within one semester and that was extremely common within that program.
    Sounds familiar *cough*

https://mobile.twitter.com/HurstWHoc...66405585276929

50 second highlight video of Hurstís goals in their 3-2 OT win. 2nd goal passer was Isbell after all. Love the OT goal, great play by all involved.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/HurstWHoc...66405585276929

50 second highlight video of Hurstís goals in their 3-2 OT win. 2nd goal passer was Isbell after all. Love the OT goal, great play by all involved.
    Thanks for that. I'm not sure why the twitter videos never play for me. I also found it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHpcFRkQ0ps

If one added the distance from the net of all five goals, I doubt that would get you to the blue line. The last two goals by the Lakers were very nice.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Well, I have finally recovered from the Syracuse sweep enough to post. In my heart I am such a fan of the program, what can I say, I feel the highs and lows, lol.

That weekend was unfortunate in that the goalies just werenít seeing pucks, Syracuse was literally just throwing stuff at the net but there was enough traffic stuff was going in. In game 2 though, by the time Cuse got the bar down short handed goal in the 2nd, their confidence was there and away they went.

Wanted to shout out Meghan Korzack for her first two goal game of her career in game one of the Cuse series. Loved the goal that started with Robillard winning a puck battle on the wall in the neutral zone, then selling the shot and feeding Korzack on the two on one. The sophomore class is having a real nice year for the Lakers, I think all of them have probably bested their personal point totals from last year, although thatís only one measure of success of course.

Robillard, Korzack and Hine are all making noise on the score sheet of late, exactly what the Lakers need. Gotta keep it going. This time year doesnít matter one iota who gets the points, just need to go out there and find a way.

This weekend, you knew Penn State was going to be tough. They donít give up a ton of goals, and work really hard, plus senior day will have everyone pumped. Behind a paywall so I didnít watch. Would have loved one or two wís but the gap to first is down to three points, and Cuse is still 2 points back in third (top 2 is a huge benefit in the CHA tourney).

Biggest week of the season coming up. Letís go Lakers!

Mercyhurst defeated RMU 5-2 last night, closing the gap to one point in the conference standings. Rematch is this afternoon.

Six minute highlight video courtesy of RMU:
    https://rmucolonials.com/news/2019/2...ns-hockey.aspx

Hurst goals from Twitter: https://twitter.com/hurstwhockey/sta...566720000?s=21

Hurst goals from Vasko (2), Robillard, Hine and Tanskanen. Kennedy Blair played solid in net, Marmen had three assists, Dobson had two assists. Lots of contributors to say the least.

I watched the third period but a story of the game beyond Hurstís determination, energy and goal finishing was RMUís badly timed penalties. After erasing a 2-0 deficit, RMU took two penalties resulting in a 5 on 3 at the end of the 2nd. The Lakers capitalized and took the lead and never looked back.

With 6 minutes left in the third, Lakers up by 2, RMU on the PP, set up in the offensive end and a colonial takes a cross checking penalty. That was a huge help to the Lakers. They got through the four on four, and then back at 5 on 5 Vasko iced the game with her 2nd of the night.

Three great plays in the third: Blair making a nice pad save early in the RMU pp (RMUs defenders generate a ton of offense from the point, every time they have the puck itís like look out), Hine blocking multiple shots in a row in that 4 on 4 sequence, then a minute later Vasko chasing down a puck in the Colonials zone, keeping it away from 2 Colonials and unloading a goal scoring shot as the third Colonial arrived on the scene.

Really big win, great play by the whole team and today is another huge game. Letís go Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Mercyhurst defeated RMU 5-2 last night, closing the gap to one point in the conference standings. Rematch is this afternoon.

Six minute highlight video courtesy of RMU:
    https://rmucolonials.com/news/2019/2...ns-hockey.aspx

Hurst goals from Twitter: https://twitter.com/hurstwhockey/sta...566720000?s=21

Hurst goals from Vasko (2), Robillard, Hine and Tanskanen. Kennedy Blair played solid in net, Marmen had three assists, Dobson had two assists. Lots of contributors to say the least.

I watched the third period but a story of the game beyond Hurst’s determination, energy and goal finishing was RMU’s badly timed penalties. After erasing a 2-0 deficit, RMU took two penalties resulting in a 5 on 3 at the end of the 2nd. The Lakers capitalized and took the lead and never looked back.

With 6 minutes left in the third, Lakers up by 2, RMU on the PP, set up in the offensive end and a colonial takes a cross checking penalty. That was a huge help to the Lakers. They got through the four on four, and then back at 5 on 5 Vasko iced the game with her 2nd of the night.

Three great plays in the third: Blair making a nice pad save early in the RMU pp (RMUs defenders generate a ton of offense from the point, every time they have the puck it’s like look out), Hine blocking multiple shots in a row in that 4 on 4 sequence, then a minute later Vasko chasing down a puck in the Colonials zone, keeping it away from 2 Colonials and unloading a goal scoring shot as the third Colonial arrived on the scene.

Really big win, great play by the whole team and today is another huge game. Let’s go Lakers!
    Love the puck movement on that Tanskanen 5-on-3 goal. They got all three defenders to bite in one direction and just tick tack toed it in. Good for Mercyhurst setting themselves up to retake the CHA lead today with one more weekend series in the regular season. Syracuse is still in the hunt for second place, too. Robert Morris needs to figure out how to win when Jaycee Gebhard isn't scoring goals.

Thread Information