X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 🦅 2018-2019

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    Don't give up on this year yet.
    I guess it depends on what your goal is for the program this year. If it's small stuff like putting the puck into the opponents' net once in a while or winning a game every once in a while then sure, don't give up.

If it's anything big like winning anything in the postseason or even an NCAA bid, it's well beyond the point of giving up on the season.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I think the bigger issue is being ignored here
      BC-BU-Minnesota-Michigan are always going to get the best 18-year old recruits
      However, all 4 programs are struggling and no where near their past success
      I hated it when David Quinn blamed his losses as playing against teams with older players
      It appears though that he was correct- You need a blend of older players to go with fancy recruits
      If the blue chippers leave early you can be left with the younger players who didn't pan out
      By the time they become seniors you can;t wait for them to graduate
      Identifying older players who will get better is not easy but is why new teams are featured among the best now
      Leading to a new parity among teams

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
        I think the bigger issue is being ignored here
        BC-BU-Minnesota-Michigan are always going to get the best 18-year old recruits
        However, all 4 programs are struggling and no where near their past success
        I hated it when David Quinn blamed his losses as playing against teams with older players
        It appears though that he was correct- You need a blend of older players to go with fancy recruits
        If the blue chippers leave early you can be left with the younger players who didn't pan out
        By the time they become seniors you can;t wait for them to graduate
        Identifying older players who will get better is not easy but is why new teams are featured among the best now
        Leading to a new parity among teams
        +1

I have been saying this for a few years now. And, to cite perfect timing, if Canisius' sweep over North Dakota isn't a perfect example of the growing parity, I don't know what is. (I know they got outshot something like 49-16, but they still won both games)

Comment

It's going to be very difficult to get draft picks (especially rounds 1-5 or so) to play a year of juniors before coming in, and I would still recommend getting as many of those guys as possible. By their junior year you usually know who those guys are and many will play a full year of USHL their senior year.

Beyond those guys, your role players, if you can get 90%+ of them to play a year of juniors post HS graduation I think teams will be better off. I expect Motzko to go this route.

Comment

I wonder if the B1G age-limit legislation will be reintroduced to the NCAA in the near future through a more inclusive nationwide process. If so, age-related parity in college hockey today will be negatively affected, but I don't think the overall impact will be very significant with only a one-year drop in eligibility.

Currently, that age limit is 21; the new rule would drop that down to 20. Players could still come in at age 21, but they would lose a year of eligibility and have just three years remaining.

Comment

Yes that would be a good change but the small schools are scared which is ridiculous. No kid should have to play THREE YEARS of junior hockey before starting his college education.

Comment

The current rule lets most players get 2 years between high school graduation and enrolling, not 3. So you're limiting it to 1 if you blanket subtract a year.

I'm sure there are some players who have managed to skirt that and come in older (Mike Szmatula of Minnesota is an obvious example here) but it's usually 2 years before they age out.

(Obviously if they start playing junior before graduating high school that will add more but that isn't what we were saying.)
                Last edited by TheRevengeance; 01-08-2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                  The current rule lets most players get 2 years between high school graduation and enrolling, not 3. So you're limiting it to 1 if you blanket subtract a year.

I'm sure there are some players who have managed to skirt that and come in older (Mike Szmatula of Minnesota is an obvious example here) but it's usually 2 years before they age out.

(Obviously if they start playing junior before graduating high school that will add more but that isn't what we were saying.)
                  If you're a late birthday you get 2. If you're an early birthday you get three. The teams are just limited to how many guys turning 21 they might have. Think it's like 4 roster spots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                    Total clownshow right now in the athletic department. Hockey is in worse shape than basketball and football. BUT, all 3 need new coaches. Jarmond missed the mark and EXTENDED another average at best coach like his predecessors. SAD. Now he has 3 coaching debacles to clean up simultaneously (or he is ok with 6-7 wins forever in football).

Look we can wax poetic about recruiting rules and all this other nonsense. Bottom line, this team has far more talent than glorified club teams like Bentley and Arizona freaking State. Arizona. State. And yet they are losing to them. Guess why that is happening? COACHING.

God help us all if York doesn't retire after this year. He could have gone out on top. Or close to it. We're in Berenson/Parker/Umile territory now. It's a shame. That being said, when York goes, you change the entire staff. York/Ayers/McInnis. DRAIN THE RINK. They've presided over this entire collapse. (Buckley obviously gets a pass but not sure keeping him for continuity is worth it or how involved he is to future recruits).

I honestly think a good coach could clean this mess up quickly. This is probably rock bottom but I believe it's fixable.
                    Arizona. State. is pretty **** good. I've watched them several times this year. Their goalie, Daccord, will be a Richter finalist. Johnny Walker will be in Hobie contention.

As for York, Berenson and Umile teams weren't finishing in first place at the end of their careers. York will probably never win another championship, but it won't be because he's over the hill.

And I hope you don't actually believe Bentley is the equivalent of a club team.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
                      And I hope you don't actually believe Bentley is the equivalent of a club team.
                      bc's club team could beat them. (not to mention bc's jv squad)
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        bc's club team could beat them. (not to mention bc's jv squad)
                        There isn't one player on BC's club team that would be there if an Atlantic or even a D3 team had shown any interest in them. AHC may be a bottom feeder conference, but it is feeding at the bottom of D1, not the ACHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
                          There isn't one player on BC's club team that would be there if an Atlantic or even a D3 team had shown any interest in them. AHC may be a bottom feeder conference, but it is feeding at the bottom of D1, not the ACHA.
                          puhleeze.
                          people would gladly pay full tuition to attend bc than go for free to any aha school (outside of a service academy).
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

While Bentley would demolish BC's club team and Mookie is being Mookie, there are definitely a couple of club players who could have been playing lower level hockey otherwise. Not everybody prioritizes a D3 hockey career over all else.

Comment

Oh BC won...must be back in league play

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Oh BC won...must be back in league play
                                and over 6000 in attendance!

Comment

Working...
                                X