Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWHA Conference Announcement (Scholarships, OOC Scheduling, Autobid, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWHA Conference Announcement (Scholarships, OOC Scheduling, Autobid, etc.)

NEWHA announced that it's becoming a conference today. Shooting for a tournament autobid starting in 2021-2022. Schools will be offering scholarships and are already in the works scheduling non-conference games with other D-1 teams:

https://www.theicegarden.com/2018/9/...key-conference
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-26-2018, 10:42 AM.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: NEWHA Conference Announcement (Scholarships, OOC Scheduling, Autobid, etc.)

Great news. Appreciate your reporting the story, TTT.

Comment

I said it on the blog twitter but all I have to say is, with St. Mike's involved...

Battle of Burlington.

MAKE IT HAPPEN
      https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

The 2022 Autobid is key.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If there is a loser in this, particularly in the short term, I'd say that it is Hockey East. Many of its members are already struggling to take the next step above "respectable". If there is suddenly more competition to spread the talent pool in the region across additional programs, I don't see the average HEA team getting stronger more quickly. BC really needs someone like Northeastern or Maine to emerge as a bonafide threat.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            If there is a loser in this, particularly in the short term, I'd say that it is Hockey East. Many of its members are already struggling to take the next step above "respectable". If there is suddenly more competition to spread the talent pool in the region across additional programs, I don't see the average HEA team getting stronger more quickly. BC really needs someone like Northeastern or Maine to emerge as a bonafide threat.
            In Maine's case at least, there are only four players from the northeast outside Maine on the roster. Two from Massachusetts and one each from Connecticut and New York.
            Last edited by AMC; 09-26-2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
              In Maine's case at least, there are only four players from the northeast outside Maine on the roster. Two from Massachusetts and one each from Connecticut and New York.
              Same with UVM. Two from Mass and two from NY, plus Greta Close from VT.

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                Same with UVM. Two from Mass and two from NY, plus Greta Close from VT.
                Doesn't get much Close-r to UVM than Vermont

I'll show myself out

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                  Doesn't get much Close-r to UVM than Vermont

I'll show myself out
                  sir

Comment

Can anyone explain what "unanimously agreed to adhere to NCAA Division I recruiting rules" means? How do those rules differ from D-III, and are they actually more stringent somehow, as implied?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Anyone have information on how this will affect the future number of teams in the tournament? I think it is 4 automatic bids right now, this will be 5. Leaving 3 at-large. I'd hate to see one of these teams (that are clearly not at the level they need to be to be competitive) take a spot from a team whose body of work through the season is more deserving of a spot. Hopefully these teams can become a little more competitive quickly, but I think it may be a while. Thanks in advance for further understanding!

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                        Anyone have information on how this will affect the future number of teams in the tournament? I think it is 4 automatic bids right now, this will be 5. Leaving 3 at-large. I'd hate to see one of these teams (that are clearly not at the level they need to be to be competitive) take a spot from a team whose body of work through the season is more deserving of a spot. Hopefully these teams can become a little more competitive quickly, but I think it may be a while. Thanks in advance for further understanding!
                        Believe NCAA rules stipulate that there has to be at least as many at-large bids as autobids

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                          Can anyone explain what "unanimously agreed to adhere to NCAA Division I recruiting rules" means? How do those rules differ from D-III, and are they actually more stringent somehow, as implied?

Powers &8^]
                          D-III doesn't have a recruiting calendar. There can be contact year round. D-I has limits on when a coach can contact a recruit. There may be some other differences regarding official visits and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                            Nothing's in the works yet but from what I've heard, there have been talks of expanding to 9 teams and having an 8/9 play-in game. I think that's the right way to go.

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                            D-III doesn't have a recruiting calendar. There can be contact year round. D-I has limits on when a coach can contact a recruit. There may be some other differences regarding official visits and the like.
                            It's a D-1 vs. D-2 thing, not D-3, but it's pretty much this. I have a whole spreadsheet of differences someone put together for me here.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              Nothing's in the works yet but from what I've heard, there have been talks of expanding to 9 teams and having an 8/9 play-in game.
                              Does that occur midweek or is there a bye week for the rest of the field? The former pretty well necessitates that the play-in game is just a bus trip (although we know that the NCAA would prefer that the entire quarterfinal round was just bus trips, so it isn't really new ground.)
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X