Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The List for the 2018-19 Season: Episode 1

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    It's been a while, but could it be habit? DM was hired as a man...is it like a forever association, because that's how they first met you?

Note: NOT excusing the behavior, trying to figure out the reason...heck, half the time I call people I've met through the boards by their screennames, because that I couldn't remember their real names. My fault/my weakness and all, and I've gotten better at it, and as I got to know them better, the real names come around, and then THAT'S the way it is, but at first.....
    I get what you are saying, especially as someone who has a lot of trouble with names and faces and remembering biographical details. But this is something that is obviously important to Amber Marie and as a supervisor especially or any co-worker I would respect that and deliberately change my behavior to acknowledge and celebrate that change.

My analogy is the person in the office who gets married and is joyful about it. Referring to them as married and not single is our participation in their enhanced identity. We are celebrating who they are now. Yes, of course we may slip up a few times out of habit but as soon as it is pointed out we wince and are embarrassed and make that change in our minds even more assiduously. It's part of the recognition of her as a flesh and blood person, not as our matrix of data points.

That's why my thought is, if this is repeat behavior over time, a deliberate Kim Davis wackadoodle bloviation of Invisible Man Hatred.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-09-2019, 10:37 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I get what you are saying, especially as someone who has a lot of trouble with names and faces and remembering biographical details. But this is something that is obviously important to Amber Marie and as a supervisor especially or any co-worker I would respect that and deliberately change my behavior to acknowledge and celebrate that change.

My analogy is the person in the office who gets married and is joyful about it. Referring to them as married and not single is our participation in their enhanced identity. We are celebrating who they are now. Yes, of course we may slip up a few times out of habit but as soon as it is pointed out we wince and are embarrassed and make that change in our minds even more assiduously. It's part of the recognition of her as a flesh and blood person, not as our matrix of data points.

That's why my thought is, if this is repeat behavior over time, a deliberate Kim Davis wackadoodle bloviation of Invisible Man Hatred.
      To me, a lot would depend upon the reaction of the offender when the error is pointed out, or he or she is corrected. If it's obvious embarrassment, followed by what appears to be a legit apology, then it's simple human error that any of us could make, especially when we've already trained our mind as to a certain person's identity. But if the reaction is basically "stop wasting my time," the offender is a dik and probably has underlying issues that will only be resolved by bringing it to the attention of higher authorities.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        To me, a lot would depend upon the reaction of the offender when the error is pointed out, or he or she is corrected. If it's obvious embarrassment, followed by what appears to be a legit apology, then it's simple human error that any of us could make, especially when we've already trained our mind as to a certain person's identity. But if the reaction is basically "stop wasting my time," the offender is a dik and probably has underlying issues that will only be resolved by bringing it to the attention of higher authorities.
        I didn't know how he reacted when HR pointed this out. I do know this: He didn't talk to me at all today; didn't even look in my direction. So, my guess is that he got a big warning shot across his nose, and now he needs to be extra careful.

However, a couple people on the floor now know, and their reactions were "okay, cool."
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          This.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

My boss walking in and saying "Amber" this morning: Anti-List. Miracles do happen.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
              My boss walking in and saying "Amber" this morning: Anti-List. Miracles do happen.
              Excellent.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Excellent.
                Another supervisor addressed me as Amber yesterday too, so I'm thinking HR must have sat down with all of my area's supervisors.

The name change sparking conversation, allowing me to come out to more people, and those people having an "okay, cool, alright" reaction: Anti-List.

My friend Shelby: Anti-List. Kind of my trans "mom." I was with her for close to 3 hours last night and it wasn't enough.

The ability to run 20+ miles this morning and not feel tired: Anti-List. Yes, the hormones have left me weaker, and my times aren't what they used to be, but I still have the ability to go. Thankful for that!

Comment

Clearly you are valuable to your employer, or else HR wouldn't be doing the needful. Keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Clearly you are valuable to your employer, or else HR wouldn't be doing the needful. Keep it up.
                    And we have a terrible turnover rate. There's a revolving door as the team member entrance; how appropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      And we have a terrible turnover rate. There's a revolving door as the team member entrance; how appropriate.
                      All too common in your line of work.

Comment

Also, the HR manager has assured me that if anything happens, such dead naming, wrong pronouns, and rude comments about what I'm wearing... go to her or her assistant. Tyson doesn't have a zero tolerance policy, but they will fire a warning shot across someone's nose ("do it again, the hammer comes down" or something like that).

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          All too common in your line of work.
                          Basically... if I wanted to stay, as long as I don't do anything massively stupid, such as violate Lock Out Tag Out (or Confined Space Entry or Fall Protection policies)... I could well have job security until retirement.

Also, because our turnover rate is so high, and the job market in Holland/Zeeland is booming, they took "employee retention" off our bonus. That's no longer factored in.

Comment

Also: breast growth is on The Anti-List. Barely there, yes, but they're coming.

Comment

Being so overwhelmed with gratitude that I'm in tears: Anti-List.

Comment

BVW, for appearing to have actually built a team during the off-season: the Anti-List.

The Wilpons, as the ever-present reason why it won't be enough: the List.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X