Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The List for the 2018-19 Season: Episode 1

Originally posted by burd View Post
    I had the gamut of painkillers for a condition years ago, from Oxy to fentanyl. There were times when I really needed the help. I also flushed some down when I felt I didn't need it. But on one occasion when I was at the most difficult stage of my treatment, I had to pass a kidney stone. I was actually at the hospital receiving treatment when it came on, and they just wheeled me over to ER. I looked awful anyway, and when they got up to speed on my status and confirmed that it was a stone, they shot me up with something like I'd never had before. Unlike the other stuff I was taking, it was an instant rush. In seconds I went from feeling bottom-of-the-barrel shyty to A-O-f cking K. Euphoric. That gave me a little insight into how difficult it must be to beat a hard narcotics addiction. I don't have an addictive personality, but never ever give me a prescription for that stuff. I don't think I could resist it.
    Probably Dilaudid. Either that, or just the fact they shot you up instead of having you pop a pill and waiting for it to metabolize.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I'll bet your dentist enjoyed digging through that.
      After, Kep. After the extractions.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        The elderly don't do well with benzos, especially if they're inpatient. Studies show they are much more likely to develop ICU Delirium and other mental health problems if medicated with benzodiazepines for behavior control (ventilated or non-ventilated).

Personally, I think cocaine or MDMA would be my drug of choice if we're running the gamut of mind altering substances. My Type A personality is attracted to the idea of cocaine, however, the part of me that loves cuddles and an enchanced sense of touch as well as love-y feelings is totally intrigued by molly. Obviously, as someone who has seen the negative effects in the healthcare system, I will not be tampering with any of these.

My lone experiences with opioids was in high school when I was prescribed 5/325 percoset for wisdom tooth surgery. All I did was sleep. Meh. Uninterested.
        I'd like to drop some LSD at some point in my life, in the presence of a good babysitter, of course. It'd be interesting, to say the least. Knowing people who have done it (and knew me really well) they swear I'd be very entertaining, due to my creative nature. In other words, not a bad trip.

Edit: imagine me in a wheelchair in a nursing home, just trippin' balls.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Bought a new (used) house. 19 yrs old.
          1. soap dispenser on dishwasher broke. bought replacement. weekend install
          2. icemaker died. bought replacement. weekend install.
          3. dryer vent clogged worse than the LIE. Cleaned.
          4. dryer makes wonderful intermittent squealing sound when running. either belt (cheap) or drum bearings (new dryer). weekend investigation.
          5. a downspot discharges into flowerbed. recent deluges had large lake in flower bed. redirected water discharge to driveway. $30 fix. HOA will probably make me bury discharge line. Couple of hours work + a popup head for discharge next to driveway.
          6. vinnie boon bots, the home inspector from the Stevie Wonder home inspection company missed a huge gap under basement door frame and a rotting sill plate. gap can be fixed with a couple of tubes of goo from home depot. sill may need a carpenter.
          7. Carpet held down in spots with staples. Staples come loose. Foot finds. OUCH! Pull staple.
          8. kitchen Light fixture looked like huge inverted brandy snifter. banged into it on day 1 of move in and it shattered. nobody hurt. replaced fixture with one wife found at thrift store for $5. Wiring bad. replaced wiring and fixture works. $10 fix at home depot.
          9. Master showerhead can be more forceful with water flow. it's ok, but a 100% replacement head costs $90 at home depot. it can wait.

love the new house, but the aggrevating problems - AARGH!. old house on market. we took care of problems so buyers (whomever they are) will have a easy transition.

Still unpacking 2 weeks later. moved 34 years of accumulated stuff. will need to cut back (wanted to do so before move, but overruled by spouse. spouse now realizes we have too much thit and it has to go).

Oh - and parts to reassemble one of the beds disappeared in move. another trip to HD or Amazon.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Still unpacking 2 weeks later. moved 34 years of accumulated stuff. will need to cut back (wanted to do so before move, but overruled by spouse. spouse now realizes we have too much thit and it has to go).
            Dr. Mrs. strictly enforced the three piles rule on me. Yet another reason she rocks -- I'd have just kept moving all of my hoard until I died.

May I diplomatically remind you that your realtor hired Vinnie Boon Bots and you hired your realtor, so...

I made something like 10 trips to HD but that was to sell my old house. Buying a house is a breeze. Selling a house is A Month at Torquemada's.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              . was KFC mashed potatoes and gravy. Might have even had a biscuit crumbled in there. Mmmm........
              yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Dr. Mrs. strictly enforced the three piles rule on me. Yet another reason she rocks -- I'd have just kept moving all of my hoard until I died.

May I diplomatically remind you that your realtor hired Vinnie Boon Bots and you hired your realtor, so...

I made something like 10 trips to HD but that was to sell my old house. Buying a house is a breeze. Selling a house is A Month at Torquemada's.
                I’ve been super lucky in this regard. I’m 34 and I have only had to really move once. I obviously moved a number of times in college but those don’t count. And our family moved when I was 10, so also doesn’t count.

The only time I moved was when I bought my first house. I lived at home for the first few years after college so I could afford a full is a payment. I was able to move my entire life in the trunk, backseat, and passenger seat of my Mustang plus one load in a Durango for my bed and tv. That was it. So I’m not even sure that counts.

Now after about 60% through the process of moving my girlfriend in, I might be willing to outsource the packing and cleaning when we eventually move again. Holy hell.

Regarding moving into a house and finding things wrong with it, just remember: Everyone is an idiot. You did things wrong too. The people who move into your house will use your name as a pejorative.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I just put in an offer on a new house. The prior owners might have been the perfect caretakers if not for their paint choices.

The process of finding the right house is on The List.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    I just put in an offer on a new house. The prior owners might have been the perfect caretakers if not for their paint choices.

The process of finding the right house is on The List.
                    If you're moving to the MD suburbs of DC, drop me a line.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Silver-Spr.../home/10582031
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

When we bought our first house the house inspector 'missed' an enormous bat colony in our attic. The first night we moved in I was there alone* and at Oh dark thirty a bat started flying around my bedroom. What a fiasco. You can't kill bats, against the rules. I take the 5th at what they did. I called the inspection place and lit them up. They paid for the fix and refunded the $ we paid for inspection

* (mr les professed that if we moved in together, even tho my parents didn't speak to each other, dad les had the guns and mum les would buy the bullets- and he was right. life was different then)

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        When we bought our first house the house inspector 'missed' an enormous bat colony in our attic. The first night we moved in I was there alone* and at Oh dark thirty a bat started flying around my bedroom. What a fiasco. You can't kill bats, against the rules. I take the 5th at what they did. I called the inspection place and lit them up. They paid for the fix and refunded the $ we paid for inspection

* (mr les professed that if we moved in together, even tho my parents didn't speak to each other, dad les had the guns and mum les would buy the bullets- and he was right. life was different then)
                        The first week I was in a new house I bought I had the same problem. Woke up in the middle of the night to a bat flying around my bedroom, buzzing the tower. I happened to have a racquetball racquet in a box near the bed. I grabbed it, took a big overhand stroke and made contact. Hitting a bat in mid-flight in a completely dark room was the easy part. I flipped on the light and spent the next hour searching for the carcass. Won't do that again.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I’ve been super lucky in this regard. I’m 34 and I have only had to really move once.
                          This utterly blows me away. From the time I graduated college to the time I bought my first house 18 years later I moved 12 times, 9 of them between states.

86 NY --> MA
                          87 MA --> NY
                          88 NY --> CA
                          90 CA --> MA
                          92 within MA
                          94 within MA
                          95 MA --> NC
                          96 NC --> MA
                          98 MA --> OR
                          99 within OR
                          03 OR --> VA
                          04 VA --> MD
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This utterly blows me away. From the time I graduated college to the time I bought my first house 18 years later I moved 12 times, 9 of them between states.

86 NY --> MA
                            87 MA --> NY
                            88 NY --> CA
                            90 CA --> MA
                            92 within MA
                            94 within MA
                            95 MA --> NC
                            96 NC --> MA
                            98 MA --> OR
                            99 within OR
                            03 OR --> VA
                            04 VA --> MD
                            Yeah, but VA to MD and the like aren't really between states. Technically yes, but in spirit? It's like moving from Minneapolis to Duluth

But yes, I've been fairly stable. Because it's kind of perfect here. High standard of living, relatively low cost of living, more Fortune 500 companies per capita than any other state, reasonable wages, not a lot of people, actual green areas, varied weather, more shoreline than CA, FL, and HI combined, access to Canada should the need arise, great hockey, amazing cultural opportunities.

There isn't any other state like it.
                            Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

86 NY --> MA
                              87 MA --> NY
                              88 NY --> CA
                              90 CA --> MA
                              92 within MA
                              94 within MA
                              95 MA --> NC
                              96 NC --> MA
                              98 MA --> OR
                              99 within OR
                              03 OR --> VA
                              04 VA --> MD
                              Since college, I've moved 6 times. Until the move currently in process, we last moved 9 years ago. This one is hopefully it until we move into a retirement home in 50 years.

Comment

I have a feeling the next 10-15 I will move at least twice. One when future mrs. dx and I get hitched and have kids, probably once more for a job. After that, it's essentially waiting for the kids to move out and we get to build our dream home.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X