RPI Engineers 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I agree with that, but I have the gut feeling that there are some players on the team who are recruited walk-ons, used to fill out the roster. Judging by the current freshmen and Neutral Zones' rankings of our future players, I am not sure that Vines has changed that, although I could be wrong.

I also think that there is still a problem getting a lot of women interested in a technical education, and for some reason management doesn't seem to be as attractive to the women hockey players as it appears to be to the men.
    We had some of those recruited walk on type of players and honestly they were almost all dead weight for our team. You're better off getting rid of those types of players. Addition by subtraction. Guess where most of the complaints about ice time came from too?! It was ridiculous. It was like, Really? You have no points in two seasons and you think you should have more playing time and a higher role on the team? Right! Get real!

Comment

• Re: RPI Engineers 2018-2019

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
      (Note: I wrote "IN" in situations when we would have locked up a playoff spot. I might be wrong about these, but I'm pretty sure...)
      I don't see any tiebreakers involving Yale (the team that would be in all corresponding tiebreaks) that would put us at the very bottom, given they would only have 2 points vs. Harvard and 1 on us which would reset the tiebreak, and we've already taken 2 points on Quinnipiac with Yale only 1 when involving a 3-or-4-way, so suffice to say 3 points would put us in.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        We had some of those recruited walk on type of players and honestly they were almost all dead weight for our team. You're better off getting rid of those types of players. Addition by subtraction. Guess where most of the complaints about ice time came from too?! It was ridiculous. It was like, Really? You have no points in two seasons and you think you should have more playing time and a higher role on the team? Right! Get real!
        so...as the rosters get bigger, 18 scholarships (is that still the number?), get stretched. I think you will continue to see these committed walk-ons. I have heard of this from other schools as well. not sure what the longer term promises are but maybe they start with "nothing freshman year, 1/4 sophomore, and 1/2 for junior, full for senior" look at the size of some of the rosters...BC has 24 rostered. Any red-shirts? TTT would know better, i shouldn't even mention BC without him!

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
          so...as the rosters get bigger, 18 scholarships (is that still the number?), get stretched. I think you will continue to see these committed walk-ons. I have heard of this from other schools as well. not sure what the longer term promises are but maybe they start with "nothing freshman year, 1/4 sophomore, and 1/2 for junior, full for senior" look at the size of some of the rosters...BC has 24 rostered. Any red-shirts? TTT would know better, i shouldn't even mention BC without him!
          Still 18.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

As is always the case with posts by Shelfit, this is an incredible oversimplification that ignores the facts. What it ignores is that programs have a LOT of options that go beyond the limit on athletic scholarships. Look at the Ivies. You could regard their entire rosters as recruited walk-ons in that they populate their rosters entirely without the aid of athletic scholarships. RPI also has a number of very high value academic scholarship opportunities (e.g. the Renssalaer medals) that cover a very large percentage of costs. Many academically inclined top-notch hockey players can be encouraged to "walk on" to teams at universities with high academic standards, including some of the best D3 programs. Not sure what program Shelfit was associated with, but probably one without those sorts of academic drawing cards . Mic drop.
            Last edited by hab; 02-11-2019, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post
              As is always the case with posts by Shelfit, this is an incredible oversimplification that ignores the facts. What it ignores is that programs have a LOT of options that go beyond the limit on athletic scholarships. Look at the Ivies. You could regard their entire rosters as recruited walk-ons in that they populate their rosters entirely without the aid of athletic scholarships. RPI also has a number of very high value academic scholarship opportunities (e.g. the Renssalaer medals) that cover a very large percentage of costs. Many academically inclined top-notch hockey players can be encouraged to "walk on" to teams at universities with high academic standards, including some of the best D3 programs. Not sure what program Shelfit was associated with, but probably one without those sorts of academic drawing cards . Mic drop.
              I said we would have been better off without the dead weight of players that weren't good enough to really contribute to the team but still complained about their ice time and roles. That's simple and straightforward enough for any fool to understand, even you. I wasn't talking about the number of scholarships or how they're distributed each year. I was talking about the frustrations of having teammates that couldn't really play at the same level and what's the point of having them on the team?! To fill uniforms? I'd rather have fewer players but who could all play at that level.
              Last edited by shelfit; 02-12-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I said we would have been better off without the dead weight of players that weren't good enough to really contribute to the team but still complained about their ice time and roles. That's simple and straightforward enough for any fool to understand, even you. I was talking about the number of scholarships or how they're distributed each year. I was talking about the frustrations of having teammates that couldn't really play at the same level and what's the point of having them on the team?! To fill uniforms? I'd rather have fewer players but who could all play at that level.
                On most teams, they aren't dead weight. They contribute by ensuring there are enough players for a full practice during times of illness, injury, and exams, and they are usually needed for a couple of games during the year that coincide with international tournaments or some other reason for a short bench. It requires a special person to stay ready and contribute when called upon. Are they All-Stars? No, but then most players on a roster are not. As with any role on the team, it is best filled by someone whose character is among her greatest strengths. And I know of some who started out as a walk-on and worked up to a more prominent role. They have my respect.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  On most teams, they aren't dead weight. They contribute by ensuring there are enough players for a full practice during times of illness, injury, and exams, and they are usually needed for a couple of games during the year that coincide with international tournaments or some other reason for a short bench. It requires a special person to stay ready and contribute when called upon. Are they All-Stars? No, but then most players on a roster are not. As with any role on the team, it is best filled by someone whose character is among her greatest strengths. And I know of some who started out as a walk-on and worked up to a more prominent role. They have my respect.
                  That's all very idyllic and feel-good. I'm just giving what I experienced. Dead weight is dead weight and it's worse when they are also the biggest whiners and complainers on the team. You're better off without them in practice and in games. Drill killers that think they should have a better role on the team? Ya right! The "some" you refer to who start out as walk ons and work up to better roles are very rare. (I'm done with this topic)
                  Last edited by shelfit; 02-12-2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

If the walk-ons are such a negative, that says a lot about a program's culture.

Comment

That's all very idyllic and feel-good. I'm just giving what I experienced. Dead weight is dead weight and it's worse when they are also the biggest whiners and complainers on the team. You're better off without them in practice and in games. Drill killers that think they should have a better role on the team? Ya right! The "some" you refer to who start out as walk ons and work up to better roles are very rare. (I'm done with this topic)
                      At some point, Shelfit, you may need to look in the mirror and recognize that your experience has nothing to do with the broader reality, and that your ambitions for coaching NCAA hockey are just not realistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post
                        At some point, Shelfit, you may need to look in the mirror and recognize that your experience has nothing to do with the broader reality, and that your ambitions for coaching NCAA hockey are just not realistic.
                        Lmao. Let me guess, you're a male and you never played college hockey. My experience is more common than you think. I have friends and former teammates who got into coaching for a few years before they got real jobs and from what they experienced as assistant coaches I have no desire to get into a career that pays me less than I make now and where I would have to put in far more hours and give up all my weekends. That's an insane lifestyle in my opinion. Besides I'd rather criticize than be criticized. Lol.
                        Last edited by shelfit; 02-12-2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          The biggest downside I see is that they probably aren't able to go back and forth between the varsity and the club teams as needed. Not to mention, if the coach is anything like his previous supervisor, he'd insist by junior year that the player either commit exclusively to the varsity squad or not be a part, as some multi-sport athletes have experienced. I'd have to brush up on that part of the by-laws, but it would be a boon if "practice squad" walk-ons could practice with both the varsity and club teams, while playing with the club team for most games to stay fresh and still be available for varsity games in the circumstances you described. It'd be similar to reserve and youth squads in European Football, but not like the JV/Varsity relationships of yesteryear.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            RPI lost to Harvard 2-1.

She could get to 4K before the regular season ends.
                            As to 4,094, that could be reached in the first round of the playoffs.
                            RPI lost to QU 4-0. LS made 37 saves, bringing her to 3890.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

With the loss, cannot get home ice for the playoffs. With Yale's loss, any win, tie, or non-win-by-Yale means we make the playoffs. 5th and 6th are 1 point above us in 7th.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                                My reputation is that I am an incurable optimist about this team. Looking forward to the new season... but concerned that our long standing problem of failure to put the biscuit in the basket has not been addressed.
                                Time to review my hopes and fears for this season. This was posted on Sept 30, and I have to say that the season has gone much better than I had expected, thanks mainly to Lovisa, some smart defensive play, and great discipline, that has to be the result of some good coaching. But, yes the failure to put the puck in the net is still there, but in addition this team has been outskated and outshot more than most RPI teams of the past.

Time to look forward to our last 3 games against 3 very talented teams: Princeton this afternoon, Colgate and Cornell next weekend. Two objectives: 1) need to somehow pick up one point in case Yale runs the table on their remaining schedule; and 2) dress rehearsal for the first round of playoffs. Chances are very good that we will face one of these three teams in the first round. With its defensive style RPI is capable of upsetting any team in one game, but the challenge of beating one of these teams in a three game series is beyond the capability of what we have seen from this team so far this year. So the question is: can they find another gear? I will be watching all games.

Comment

Working...
                                X