Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I didn't see the game today (was at our Men's game at around the same time and was following the Women on twitter), so I will have to find some pictures to get an idea on the Buckeye unis everyone is talking about. Based on the postgame interview, Coach Nadine likes them and the players like them.

well sure they like them, it takes away the home ice advantage from the home team, it's just about impossible to read the numbers or names making line matching difficult if not impossible.
    Nadine threw a hissy fit late in the game, if I had been the ref I would have told her to shut the hell up, you are lucky your team is even playing, how long has she been around this league?
    If I were her I'd take a two minute penalty to start the game every time when the away team to erase the advantage of the home team, she got off easy, she's lucky she didn't have to forfeit the game.

All she has to do is tell the AD football recruits will have to go without hookers and blow for a week in order to get new uniforms. It would do those young men good to make their choice with clear minds.

Comment

I guess technically the uniforms meet OSU's pc branding guildlines...

https://brand.osu.edu/color/#primary

But who are they kidding? When you put red names and numbers with the full black jersey that is going to be difficult to see. Should have been white names and numbers like Providence does with their black uniforms.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

So, has anyone heard with any certainty the fate of those jerseys by the league? Something more official than a tweet?

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
          I didn't see the game today (was at our Men's game at around the same time and was following the Women on twitter), so I will have to find some pictures to get an idea on the Buckeye unis everyone is talking about.
          Here you go: https://***********/i/status/1053824087729025024

Comment

I guess Rule 9.1 of the NCAA rules clearly states that dark jerseys must have light colored numbers. Somebody at OSU goofed.
            Guess I'll be looking for them for sale in the rink's pro shop with the other game worn jerseys.
            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-23-2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              I guess Rule 9.1 of the NCAA rules clearly states that dark jerseys must have light colored numbers. Somebody at OSU goofed.
              Guess I'll be looking for them for sale in the rink's pro shop with the other game worn jerseys.
              The Coaching staff and the girls really like those third jerseys, so I don't think you will see them at the OSU Ice Rink Pro Shop anytime soon. Heck, I would settle for one of the Gray ones with the old-school diagonal BUCKEYES. Someone said there were some Womens jerseys in the Pro Shop. I'll have to check that out in another week and a half when we're home again.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                Yeah, I saw some pics on the ohiostatebuckeyes.com, but thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                  Hideous uniforms. As for the goal in that video, defensively we were always taught to go at the hands and arms of the puck carrier to try to neutralize them, not to drop your head and go after the puck. Sorry but the OSU players made that look easy for her to walk through them untouched for the goal.

Comment

What has me puzzled is at a school as large as Ohio State there is no such thing as one person making a simple decision on choosing a jersey design. There's a whole chain of command and who knows outside the program how many people are involved but not ONE knew there could be a rules conflict? Very odd.

Comment

Pictures really do not do the uniforms justice because they focus in on one or two players. Imagine yourself on the bench (or in the stands) and trying to figure out what is going on when you cannot identify the individual players. Despite seeing all the The OSU goals in person between the uniforms and the crappy sound system I didn’t know who scored until seeing the box scores.

Now imagine being a coach and trying to match lines when you have a hard time even identifying who the players are. Try determining the forechecking scheme when you can’t tell the W from the C from the D. I can identify nearly all my home team players by looking at them without their numbers but I am not familiar with opposing teams enough to identify any of them. I doubt coaches know them well enough to do it either.

The uniforms are a tactical advantage which in particular takes away the home ice advantage. The The OSU coaches came up with a good game plan and the players executed beautifully, particularly the goalie. In last years NCAA semi-final the coach blamed the loss on a refs penalty call. It did seem like she may have had a point, but the ref had a better view of it than I did. Probably a better view than she did too, and likely less biased too. In this case there is no doubt, the uniforms are illegal, giving the home team a two minute advantage while taking away 58 minutes of advantage is hardly a fair trade. Maybe that’s what the rules say, I don’t know. ( If so, why wasn't there a penalty at the start of Fridays game?) As stated previously, if that is the rule, and the only penalty, if I were the coach I’d continue using the uniforms on away games, the trade in advantage is well worth it. So I am wondering, if I blame the loss on the uniforms, are the The OSU coaches and fans going to say “sour grapes”?

Selective memory maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        Hideous uniforms. As for the goal in that video, defensively we were always taught to go at the hands and arms of the puck carrier to try to neutralize them, not to drop your head and go after the puck. Sorry but the OSU players made that look easy for her to walk through them untouched for the goal.
                        I was kind of partial to the forward who turned her back to the puck carrier. Who was she covering? I guess it must have been one of Minnesota's defensemen because the other two Minnesota forwards were in front and by the side of the net.

The synchronization of the two OSU players that got caught flat footed was impressive as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          Pictures really do not do the uniforms justice because they focus in on one or two players. Imagine yourself on the bench (or in the stands) and trying to figure out what is going on when you cannot identify the individual players. Despite seeing all the The OSU goals in person between the uniforms and the crappy sound system I didn’t know who scored until seeing the box scores.

Now imagine being a coach and trying to match lines when you have a hard time even identifying who the players are. Try determining the forechecking scheme when you can’t tell the W from the C from the D. I can identify nearly all my home team players by looking at them without their numbers but I am not familiar with opposing teams enough to identify any of them. I doubt coaches know them well enough to do it either.

The uniforms are a tactical advantage which in particular takes away the home ice advantage. The The OSU coaches came up with a good game plan and the players executed beautifully, particularly the goalie. In last years NCAA semi-final the coach blamed the loss on a refs penalty call. It did seem like she may have had a point, but the ref had a better view of it than I did. Probably a better view than she did too, and likely less biased too. In this case there is no doubt, the uniforms are illegal, giving the home team a two minute advantage while taking away 58 minutes of advantage is hardly a fair trade. Maybe that’s what the rules say, I don’t know. ( If so, why wasn't there a penalty at the start of Fridays game?) As stated previously, if that is the rule, and the only penalty, if I were the coach I’d continue using the uniforms on away games, the trade in advantage is well worth it. So I am wondering, if I blame the loss on the uniforms, are the The OSU coaches and fans going to say “sour grapes”?

Selective memory maybe?
                          You raise a good point. I was standing at the rail in section 4 Friday night which gave a really good view of the team, as it is right above the walkway for the visiting team to come out. It really was a WTH moment to see them come onto the ice in those uniforms.

I would guess, at the least, there should be communication from the WCHA about this non-compliance or it could be a call from someone who deals with the rules on the NCAA level. Like Hockeybuckeye said it does seem odd that someone at OSU didn't know this.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            You raise a good point. I was standing at the rail in section 4 Friday night which gave a really good view of the team, as it is right above the walkway for the visiting team to come out. It really was a WTH moment to see them come onto the ice in those uniforms.

I would guess, at the least, there should be communication from the WCHA about this non-compliance or it could be a call from someone who deals with the rules on the NCAA level. Like Hockeybuckeye said it does seem odd that someone at OSU didn't know this.
                            Are you suggesting they did know?

You’d think that the people who the uniforms were ordered from would know about the rule, unless they were somebody new to the business, and would have warned them the numbers were illegal, it is their business to know things like that.

I noticed it right away too, but didn’t think much of it until I was trying to figure out which lines were being matched and if The OSU was playing 4 lines or not. I had a heckuva time reading the names and numbers and it gave me vertigo so I gave up on that.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                              Are you suggesting they did know?
                              If not, the alternative is incompetence...

Comment

I thought it was funny that Muzzy said she was happy to get the 2 minute penalty to start the game, talk about covering someone's arse. She also said she'd rather be Darth Vader than Luke Skywalker, that is quite the personality flaw there.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X