Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    There was a little girl on Saturday, probably about eight years old, four rows in front of us, who turned and yelled, "Sucks," each time we chanted, "Minnesota!" Her timing was impeccable.
    I didn't know I had a child who lives in Ohio. Come to think of it, I did stay in a hotel about 9 yrs ago in Columbus and met a nice girl.........
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

And, the OSU Ice Rink has joined the WCHA tradition of cranking the canned music after a Gopher goal to try to drown us out. They don't understand that this only encourages Dave to sing louder, and he's going to win that fight.
      Last edited by Still Eeyore; 01-28-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
        And, the OSU Ice Rink has joined the WCHA tradition of cranking the canned music after a Gopher goal to try to drown us out. They don't understand that this only encourages Dave to sing louder, and he's going to win that fight.
        It must have been a combination concert and hockey games this past weekend!

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM
          They were singing the Rouser. Gopher fans do that on the road after goals. Sorry. You know how it ends ("Minnesota ... Minnesota ..."). Are you claiming that they should have stopped singing it because the little girl was saying "sucks"? I don't cheer a whole lot these days, but I'm never going to quit cheering in a positive fashion because someone from the other team is bothered by it. We do it for the players, so that even on the road, they will hear their fans cheering for them. I see no reason to stop.
          Build a wall!

Comment

the "winner" of poor sportsmanship was Boston University whose band would play during the Rouser in the 2014 NCAA 1/4 final
            and they had to do it alot

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio
              Huh. My first impression was wrong. If I now understand you correctly, you guys successfully baited an 8 year old child, and you're crowing because you "won" a fan battle with the 8 year old.

There are literally no grown-ups in this "great story." Obviously the negligent parents were the worst offenders. But good grief. After 3 repetitions or so, you guys became part of the problem.

My parents would have handled it the same way. Our parents had it right.

Of course any attempt to stand up for civility these days just makes one sound like a dinosaur...
              The kid was fine. She was engaged, and having about as much fun as you can when your team is giving up six goals in a period. I only have a problem with kids when they don't really care about the game and insist on obstructing my view in their attempts to entertain themselves.

The only person being baited here is you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                The kid was fine. She was engaged, and having about as much fun as you can when your team is giving up six goals in a period. I only have a problem with kids when they don't really care about the game and insist on obstructing my view in their attempts to entertain themselves.

The only person being baited here is you.
                C'mon, Still Eeyore, take credit where credit is due; you are the Master Baiter!!!

Comment

My parents would have handled it the same way. Our parents had it right.

Of course any attempt to stand up for civility these days just makes one sound like a dinosaur...
                  No, it's worse than that, it will probably land you in court for child abuse because they will attempt to trace the source of your thoughts that lead to your despicable actions.

Then your social credit score will suffer substantially and some of your privileges will be revoked depending on how untrustworthy you are deemed to have become...like not being allowed to attend any tOSU Womens' Hockey games.

And if you think I'm joking, it has been happening and continues to happen in China as we post (just talking about the opening acts...they're just getting warmed up).

Worse, as if that wasn't bad enough...it's coming to a country near you...and me and most everyone else.

Comment

Actually I'm pretty concerned about the ongoing loss of privacy, and how technology is accelerating the loss of whatever freedom the Chinese had.

Not sure how this connects to the topic du jour. If you're suggesting that cheering at hockey games is a trivial topic by comparison, I'd have to concede that point.
                    No, that's not what I was suggesting. More like the things we take for granted, seemingly innocuous things like being able to enjoy womens' hockey as an example, can disappear quickly in the do gooder political environment that we now all live in that was given birth and is perpetuated by morons or worse, (sociopathic politicians and influencers) who lack the ability to see down the road and visualize the consequences of their distorted thinking. Which is not to say that they are motivated to contemplate such things.

It was a comment on your comment...agreement with your sentiment. Good is now bad, bad is now good, kind is now mean, mean is now kind and on and on ad infinitum. You can't say anything anymore without possibly offending someone whose life can no longer go on as a result without first taking you to task legally for your appalling transgressions.

The social credit system which is right out of Orwell's 1984 or the Twilight Zone is the new big thing perpetrated by governments on their citizens but always with a cover story to make it more palatable to the clueless.

It will ultimately divide society into the desirables and the undesirables...based on someone else's standards...all politically motivated to neuter the citizens thereby dramatically reducing any likelihood of opposition.

Cameras have been and continue to be installed everywhere in China...they are even equipped with gait recognition....which can't be fooled even if you fake a limp. They will still know it is you.

And your government social credit score will be adjusted accordingly...and privileges will be revoked...are being revoked. Things like not allowing you library privileges, you go to leave on vacation but are prevented at the airport from boarding the plane, your kids are not allowed to go to university...these are some examples. And it is not hard to imagine that they will have a dossier on you from which they can easily check your habits and preferences from which they could custom tailor the punishment doled out for being such an undesirable as defined by the state. One of those could easily be no more tOSU womens' hockey games for PGB.

Thinking independently is not allowed.

So, again, it was just a comment agreeing with yours, albeit with some detail added for clarification.

The most important part of your post was two words..."stand up".

Comment

I agree. It's all in good fun. It's a game. Games are fun. Don't we taunt/poke fun at our kids when we are playing UNO and you drop a draw 4 on them when they have 1 card left? You laugh, they giggle and you smile at each other. Or you are out fishing, sitting on a school of big perch, you see their rod tip bounce, they go to set the hook and miss it, you give them a little jab, they jab me back when I miss one a few seconds later, but when we're at Culver's for lunch we all laugh about how much fun we had and how great those perch are going to taste, should we beer batter or Panko crumb them? People in society today are too galvanized in black and white. All the fun is in the grey.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Eeyore's account painted a different picture. Contrary to my first impression, I now gather that grown men were deliberately provoking a specific 8 year old child. The fact the kid "started it" makes no difference.
                        Your imagination has once again triumphed over reality.

Comment

Me clicking on this thread

Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• All interesting comments but remember, Still Eeyore is still the Master Baiter!!!

Comment

I feel the same way as TTT20.
                              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-29-2019, 12:27 PM. Reason: Now if I could just find my hat!
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

I understand now. Thank you.

Extremely alarming. A real threat to freedom that our politicos should be paying far more attention to. Will be glad to discuss more in a future thread.

Your family, your friends -- your call. I have no problem with the family time you're describing. Sounds like any number of family gatherings I've been a part of. Strangers in a public place is a different situation.

Sure, of course. With the clarification that it's the issue itself we're disagreeing on. For me it's 100% about the 8 year old. Make all of the "combatants" 18+ and the disagreement vanishes.

Unfair characterization, as is so often the case with you. But as past exchanges have shown, trying to sort that part out is futile...

So fine. Make it a hypothetical in Anywhere, USA. It boils down to this: An 8 year old stranger is acting up at a sporting event. The kid's parents won't do the right thing. The other grown-ups present don't need to be escalating the situation; they need to err on the side of voluntary restraint. If someone has a way to cool down the situation, so much the better.

No one needs to stay away. No wall needed. No new rules needed. No extra ushers needed. Just a minimal commitment to be a decent human being, and a nominal effort to remember what it's like to be an 8 year old kid.
                                Is this where the conversation goes on this thread when the Buckeyes have a very underwhelming weekend with everything on the line? An overthought and overblown story of a presumed "altercation" with a cheering gopher adult/adults and a cheering local minor in a packed record crowd? I was in attendance and there is nothing to this narrative. Have a great day and good luck vs SCSU next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X