Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    I think my eyeballs lie to me at times. For example, AMSOIL always seems narrower than other 85' rinks to me. It must just be the angle to the plane of the ice surface that I'm viewing, but it appears that there's less room compared to somewhere like Ridder or Sanford Center.
    I meant more for a larger than 85' rink. If a rink was under 85', they might move the faceoff circles more towards the midline of the rink (thereby keeping the distance from the wall 'standard'). But id anyone were to do that, I would think goalies would see (or feel) that immediately, and complain.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      I meant more for a larger than 85' rink. If a rink was under 85', they might move the faceoff circles more towards the midline of the rink (thereby keeping the distance from the wall 'standard'). But id anyone were to do that, I would think goalies would see (or feel) that immediately, and complain.
      The dots are supposed to be 22' from the center of the rink. If there is variance, it should be outside the circles as you noted, not in the proximity to the goal.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ChickHicks86 View Post
        These are the rink dimensions according to each of the WCHA school's official websites:

Bemidji State / Sanford Center / 200'x85'
        Minnesota / Ridder Arena / 200'x85'
        Minnesota Duluth / AMSOIL Arena / 200'x85'
        Minnesota State, Mankato / Verizon Center / 200'x90'
        Ohio State / OSU Ice Rink / 200'x85'
        St. Cloud State / Herb Brooks National Hockey Center / 200'x100'
        Wisconsin / LaBahn Arena / 200'x90'
        This goes a long way toward explaining MJ's perspective. In WCHA conference action, he's playing 16 of 24 games on wide ice. 12 Home Games, plus Mankato & St. Cloud. Two thirds of the slate. No wonder the ice surface at OSU seems small.

From there, if MJ has a touch of claustrophobia, the low roof may be the rest of the story.

That said, I still look forward to the "tale of the tape."

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          This goes a long way toward explaining MJ's perspective. In WCHA conference action, he's playing 16 of 24 games on wide ice. 12 Home Games, plus Mankato & St. Cloud. Two thirds of the slate. No wonder the ice surface at OSU seems small.
          I think the fact that there are other rinks the same size as OSU's works against his comments. Either the corners are funky or it is the height.

I think this is a great weekend for OSU to break the 3 game skid and get on a 2 game winning streak. I'm not sure why, I just happen to feel that way.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I think this is a great weekend for OSU to break the 3 game skid and get on a 2 game winning streak. I'm not sure why, I just happen to feel that way.
            Wish you would have been right about that!! If this downward spiral continues, I am going to need talked off the ledge. I did listen to Coach Nadine's postgame presser and she actually thought we did not play that bad. Where Minnesota won the game, according to Coach, was they were stronger with their sticks in front of the net. Give them credit, too, that is a heart/character thing, and that is what wins games. Coach didn't pile on the girls after the game and neither am I. No one feels worse about how this game ended up than the kids. Having said that, this program (coaches and players) absolutely, positively needs to figure things out and end this losing streak (3 losses in a row, 1-4 coming out of the break). There is way too much talent on this team to be talking about that many losses in a row.

Well, let's get out the box score and get this over with. The Gophers raced out to a 4-0 lead in the first period and that was all they needed. The game was actually fairly competitive after that with Minnesota outscoring Ohio State 3-2 in the second period. Neither team scored in the third period, so the final score was 7-2. The Minnesota goals were scored by Grace Zumwinkle (2), Emily Oden (2), Alex Woken (2), and Nicole Schammel. The Buckeye goals were scored by Maddy Field and Jincy Dunne. Minnesota outshot Ohio State 36-21. Alex Gulstene stopped 19 of the 21 shots she faced for the Gophers. Emma May came into the game for Gulstene in the last 2:35, but did not face any shots. Ohio State played all three goaltenders tonight. Andrea Braendli started for Ohio State and stopped 6 of the 9 shots she faced. She was relieved by Lynsey Wallace at the 8:13 mark of the first period and stopped 17 of the 21 shots she faced. Amanda Zeglen came on in the third period and stopped all 6 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow. Game time is 3:07 pm. There is an event going on at St. John Arena tomorrow afternoon that they are charging for parking, so when you pull into the lot, tell them you are there for women's hockey and you will not get charged for parking.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, January 25th
              Minnesota 7
              Ohio State 2

Depth Is Golden For Gophers

The Buckeyes dominated the first shift, pinning the Gophers in their own end. It was a glorious first minute. The other 59 minutes? Not so much. The Gophers took over the game and never looked back.

Minnesota got artful scoring and dynamic defense from up and down the line-up. Tonight, two of the most productive players were a 4th Line Forward and a Defender from the 3rd Pair. No other team in Women's D-1 Hockey has that kind of depth.

Several of the Gopher goals had a common design. A stiff, purposeful shot from the blue line. Two Gopher forwards in slot. One wins a puck battle and gets the puck to her teammate; the teammate provides the lethal finish. As a generalization, that formula produced three of the first four goals.

Credit the Buckeyes for continuing to battle throughout. They traded goals with the Gophers in the 2nd Period, and held them scoreless in the third. But the Gophers won this game in the first 20 minutes.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Minnesota Honorable Mention: Alex Woken
              A Trio of Gophers each contributed a pair of goals. I'll mention the 3rd Line RW here. But does RW stand for Right Wing or Registered Weapon? Given her shot, it's probably both. Regardless, she's the Right Woken.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Amanda Zeglen
              Amanda got the call in the 3rd Period. A calm, focused Zeglen pitched a shutout. Now I'm not claiming this has any larger meaning; the game was basically in exhibition mode at that point. But a confident #31 was very nice to see.

#3 Star: Grace Zumwinkle, Minnesota
              Certainly the Gophers got fine performances from their top stars. Obviously that includes Grace; her reputation precedes her. Zumwinkle got Minnesota rolling with the lethal finish on the first Gopher goal. Overall, Grace had 2 goals and an assist for a 3 point night.

#2 Star: Crystalyn Hengler, Minnesota
              3rd D Pair? True. But Crystalyn shined just as brightly anyone on the ice. Fine work ethic, strong results. And Hengler provided the stiff, purposeful shot that led to the second Gopher goal.

#1 Star: Emily Oden, Minnesota
              What's the game plan for a 4th Line Wing? Why, a 4 point night, of course. Emily was magnificent during the decisive first period. She had the primary assist on the first goal, scored the second herself, and had the primary assist on the fourth tally.

Oh, and just to make sure no one would forget that it was her night, she capped off the scoring with her team's seventh goal at 16:33 of the second, ensuring that the Gophers won that period as well.

Up Next: Rematch With The 2019 National Champions. There, That'll Jinx 'Em!
              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-26-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                Up Next: Rematch With The 2019 National Champions. There, That'll Jinx 'Em!
                That it might...But on the other hand if they do finish it off, you called it.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  If this downward spiral continues, I am going to need talked off the ledge. I did listen to Coach Nadine's postgame presser and she actually thought we did not play that bad. Where Minnesota won the game, according to Coach, was they were stronger with their sticks in front of the net. Give them credit, too, that is a heart/character thing, and that is what wins games. Coach didn't pile on the girls after the game and neither am I. No one feels worse about how this game ended up than the kids. Having said that, this program (coaches and players) absolutely, positively needs to figure things out and end this losing streak (3 losses in a row, 1-4 coming out of the break). There is way too much talent on this team to be talking about that many losses in a row.
                  As I think even the most casual women's hockey fan will tell you, there's not any shame in losing to a team as deep, talented, and well-coached as Minnesota. The third periods have to be taken with a grain of salt with the games out of hand, but really Ohio State stood on pretty even ground for all but two decisive periods this weekend (1st period on Friday, 2nd period on Saturday). In both of those periods, taking penalties and not being able to execute the penalty kill was a major blow to OSU's chances to staying in the games. Early in the season, I remember the Buckeye PK having an aggressive forecheck and blocking a ton of shots. I'm not sure if the scheme has changed since, but those things don't seem to be happening now, and a really good Gopher squad took full advantage of their special teams opportunities to put the games out of reach.

Now by no stretch of imagination does OSU have the talent that a Minnesota or Wisconsin has, but I agree the Buckeyes are capable of much more than a 1-5 record this calendar year. I do think Muzerall has done a remarkable job her first two seasons (I don't think anybody foresaw a Frozen Four appearance last year coming), but she and her staff need to take a long look in the mirror and figure out what needs to be done to turn around the fortunes of this year's team. Whatever they are doing now is clearly not getting the results this team is capable of achieving. In my opinion, what this team needs is a lot of positive encouragement and lineup stability. As osualum86 pointed out, this roster cares and doesn't need to be told when they haven't played up to their potential. As Frost showed with Minnesota this weekend, switching up the lines can give a team a spark, but I don't think that's what Ohio State needs right now. They need a chance to develop chemistry within the lines and not have to wonder when their next shift will be or who it will be with.

All that being said, as uninspiring as the box scores from the last 5 games have been, this season is far from over. If the Buckeyes can get back in gear against St. Cloud and Bemidji over the next few weeks, there will be opportunities down the stretch to stake their claim to being a nationally relevant team.
                  2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

As Frost showed with Minnesota this weekend, switching up the lines can give a team a spark...
                    Minnesota has switched lines more often than not. Only the Wente line has been mostly left alone.

Based on the last couple of weekends, a really strong performance in goal would go a long way towards getting the Buckeyes back into a groove.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

As I think even the most casual women's hockey fan will tell you, there's not any shame in losing to a team as deep, talented, and well-coached as Minnesota. The third periods have to be taken with a grain of salt with the games out of hand, but really Ohio State stood on pretty even ground for all but two decisive periods this weekend (1st period on Friday, 2nd period on Saturday). In both of those periods, taking penalties and not being able to execute the penalty kill was a major blow to OSU's chances to staying in the games. Early in the season, I remember the Buckeye PK having an aggressive forecheck and blocking a ton of shots. I'm not sure if the scheme has changed since, but those things don't seem to be happening now, and a really good Gopher squad took full advantage of their special teams opportunities to put the games out of reach.

Now by no stretch of imagination does OSU have the talent that a Minnesota or Wisconsin has, but I agree the Buckeyes are capable of much more than a 1-5 record this calendar year. I do think Muzerall has done a remarkable job her first two seasons (I don't think anybody foresaw a Frozen Four appearance last year coming), but she and her staff need to take a long look in the mirror and figure out what needs to be done to turn around the fortunes of this year's team. Whatever they are doing now is clearly not getting the results this team is capable of achieving. In my opinion, what this team needs is a lot of positive encouragement and lineup stability. As osualum86 pointed out, this roster cares and doesn't need to be told when they haven't played up to their potential. As Frost showed with Minnesota this weekend, switching up the lines can give a team a spark, but I don't think that's what Ohio State needs right now. They need a chance to develop chemistry within the lines and not have to wonder when their next shift will be or who it will be with.

All that being said, as uninspiring as the box scores from the last 5 games have been, this season is far from over. If the Buckeyes can get back in gear against St. Cloud and Bemidji over the next few weeks, there will be opportunities down the stretch to stake their claim to being a nationally relevant team.
                      You have successfully talked me off the ledge, and after this weekend's games, I wasn't sure if that was possible. I agree that there is no shame in losing to a team like Minnesota. They are deep, talented, and they do everything well. They skate well, they manage the puck well, and as we found out all too often this weekend, they shoot the puck well. We did have some good periods, but I was hoping the games would be more competitive.

Regarding the talent level, OSU has talent, but are not as deep as Minnesota or Wisconsin. Totally agree, though, that we should be better than 1-5 this calendar year, and it's the coaching staff's job to figure things out and correct things. Having said that, though, I am thrilled with Coach Muzerall and the direction of the program. In hindsight (I know, 20/20), maybe myself and possibly other OSU Women's Hockey fans, had a false sense of where our program was actually at this season after last season's magical run to the Frozen Four. I looked at the roster and thought, "Yeah, we can do that again." Unfortunately, it does not appear that will be the case this season. In fact, Ohio State sets in 8th in the PairWise now, which basically means they are on the outside looking in as the CHA Champion will get an auto-bid and take that 8th spot away from Ohio State. The thing is, it's not the losses to Minnesota and Wisconsin that have us in that position, it's the inexplicable losses to the sub-.500 teams below us in the PairWise that killed us this season. I think you brought up a good point about all the line changes and maybe at this point we should establish some lines and stick with them. OTOH, maybe Coach is trying to give us a spark, seeing as we only scored 3 goals all weekend and 5 last weekend. Actually, if you do the numbers, it's 11 goals in this 1-5 stretch ... 1.83 goals per game isn't going to win many hockey games, especially in the WCHA. I don't have the answers and the coaching staff obviously hasn't figured things out either or we wouldn't still be in this free-fall.

I do agree with you that the season is far from over. The problem is, wins over St. Cloud and Bemidji and whoever we end up hosting in the first round of the WCHA Playoffs are not going to move the needle regarding the PairWise, so what it is now going to come down to now is we will have to win the WCHA Tournament and get the league's auto-bid to get in. That is a steep mountain to climb when we'll have to play Minnesota or Wisconsin in the semi-final, then the other one in the final. It's a bitter pill to swallow, especially because I know the girls had some lofty goals this season. I am disappointed for them that they are going to miss out on some of those goals that they set for themselves. I guess it's true that sometimes you need to take a step back to take two steps forward. Hopefully the kids coming back next season learn from this so that history doesn't repeat itself, and that goes for the coaching staff as well. We have another great recruiting class coming in, so we will be that much deeper next season. It's not easy building a hockey program like Minnesota's or Wisconsin's and it certainly doesn't happen overnight.

We'll see how the program responds next weekend in St. Cloud. Hoping for the best for my team and sticking with them through thick and thin.
                      Last edited by osualum86; 01-26-2019, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Minnesota has switched lines more often than not. Only the Wente line has been mostly left alone.

Based on the last couple of weekends, a really strong performance in goal would go a long way towards getting the Buckeyes back into a groove.
                        Would have been nice to still have Kassidy Sauve back there. Really missing her this season.

Comment

Almost forgot about the stats. The final in today's game was 7-1 and as ChickHicks86 alluded to, the second period was decisive for the Gophers as they outscored Ohio State 6-1 in that period to put the game out of reach. The first period was a good period as neither team could score and it ended up 0-0. Minnesota opened up the scoring in the second period on a power play goal from Crystalyn Hengler. The next two goals were scored by Taylor Heise. Both of Heise's goals were even strength and put the Gophers up 3-0. The Gophers got another power play, but the Bucks' Emma Maltais was able to get behind the Gophers to score Ohio State's only goal. The 3-1 score was short-lived as Minnesota was still on the power play and ended up scoring on that power play to make it 4-1. Taylor Wente got that one for the Gophers. Minnesota would get two more goals in that period, an even strength goal from Alex Woken and a power play goal from Amy Potomak to end the second period up 6-1. Minnesota's Grace Zumwinkle added an even strength goal in the 3rd period to make the final score 7-1. One of the big differences in the game was Minnesota's power play vs Ohio State's penalty kill as the Gophers were 3-for-3 on their power plays. The Buckeyes got two power plays but could not score on either, and didn't get many shots off on either. SOG were similar to yesterday with Minnesota winning that battle 38-22. Sydney Scobee started the game in net for the Gophers and stopped 21 of the 22 shots she faced. Amanda Zeglen came into Friday's game in the third period and stopped all 6 shots she faced, so Coach Muzerall rewarded her with the start today. She stopped 12 of the 17 shots she faced. She was relieved by previous starter Andrea Braendli, who came on and stopped 19 of the 21 shots she faced.

Talked to a couple of my buddies who are Gopher fans after the game. They felt our coaching staff should have gone back to Braendli today in net. Who knows. One of them is the fan who had previously told me that we were not as good as last season and that us Ohio State fans needed to temper our expectations this season. Hate to admit it, but I am thinking he may have been spot on with that. Still love this team, though, still trusting the process, and am thinking Coach Muzerall is the best coach we have ever had here leading our program. The proof is (the Frozen Four banner) on the wall.

Comment

Would have been nice to still have Kassidy Sauve back there. Really missing her this season.
                            ARM makes a good point that 5, 5, 6, 7, and 7 are not very good numbers to have in the goals against column over the last few games. There were some empty-netters and garbage time goals sprinkled in there, but certainly OSU misses the stability and confidence that Sauve brought at the goaltender position. The goalies (and really the skaters too) on the roster now have shown they are capable of playing at a high level, but it is finding that consistency on a weekly basis that seems to be elusive. But, as Blackbeard has said on the UMD thread, your goaltender can't score goals (though the Northern Michigan men's team might argue), and even when Sauve was in net for the Buckeyes, their best wins weren't when she stood on her head and made 50 saves, but when the rest of the team found ways to put the puck in the net.
                            2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

I do agree with you that the season is far from over. The problem is, wins over St. Cloud and Bemidji and whoever we end up hosting in the first round of the WCHA Playoffs are not going to move the needle regarding the PairWise, so what it is now going to come down to now is we will have to win the WCHA Tournament and get the league's auto-bid to get in. That is a steep mountain to climb when we'll have to play Minnesota or Wisconsin in the semi-final, then the other one in the final. It's a bitter pill to swallow, especially because I know the girls had some lofty goals this season. I am disappointed for them that they are going to miss out on some of those goals that they set for themselves. I guess it's true that sometimes you need to take a step back to take two steps forward. Hopefully the kids coming back next season learn from this so that history doesn't repeat itself, and that goes for the coaching staff as well. We have another great recruiting class coming in, so we will be that much deeper next season. It's not easy building a hockey program like Minnesota's or Wisconsin's and it certainly doesn't happen overnight.

We'll see how the program responds next weekend in St. Cloud. Hoping for the best for my team and sticking with them through thick and thin.
                              I agree making the NCAA tourney this season looks to be a steep hill for Ohio State to climb right now, but I don't think an at-large bid is totally out of the question. Not all of the ECAC teams currently in the logjam ahead of OSU in the PairWise are going to be able to stay there. Inevitably they will have to play each other down the stretch and some teams will climb while others will fall in the rankings (though teams like Boston College are also going to be vying for the vacated spots). As you point out, potential wins against St. Cloud and Bemidji won't be what shoots OSU back into national contention, but the regular season finale in Madison and the potential for matchups against the top teams at Ridder in the WCHA tourney could provide the needed boost in the PairWise, even if their record was say 2-2 in those games. It's hard to remember with the January results fresh in one's memory, but OSU has shown they're capable of winning games against Minnesota and Wisconsin this season, something no other team besides Minnesota and Wisconsin can claim.

All that being said, there's still a good month of hockey before watching any type of rankings will have much value. What it amounts to is that the playoffs are starting now for teams in the hunt, and Ohio State has a great opportunity to build some momentum and confidence in St. Cloud next weekend.
                              2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, January 26th
                                Minnesota 7
                                Ohio State 1

Humble Pie: Best Enjoyed In Moderation

Regrettably the Buckeyes were at the All You Can Eat Buffet this weekend, and consumed two heaping portions of Humble Pie. The inevitable result: Sunday Morning Indigestion. So we'll just give credit where credit is due, then move on.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Minnesota Honorable Mention: Crystalyn Hengler
                                Hengler had a key assist on Friday. She topped that effort by opening the scoring on Saturday. Her blistering PP slapshot from the left wing circle caught metal, then blazed into the net. By the way, it was her first goal as Gopher. Quite a weekend for Crystalyn.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Emma Maltais
                                Emma provided the Buckeye highlight with a brilliant individual effort on the short-handed goal. Maltais gained control of the puck at the Gopher right point, squeezed herself through the Gopher defender, skated the length of the ice, and somehow squeezed the puck through the Gopher goalie. It gave the large crowd something to cheer about on an otherwise grim day.

#3 Star: (9-Way Tie)The Minnesota Power Play
                                The Gophers were 3 for 3 on the PP. It was a big part of their Saturday success. But among the array of talent, who should be honored with a Star? Let's see. 3 goals were scored; 6 assists were awarded. To Nine Different Players. Singling out one star in that impressive constellation takes a better telescope than I have.

#2 Star: (tie)Sophie Skarzynski, Minnesota; and Patti Marshall, Minnesota
                                But for Emma's Superhuman Shortie, the Gopher 'D' had a shutout. That fine defensive effort must be recognized; I selected the 'D Pair of Skarzynski & Marshall. Some Stats: Both 'D' were +3 on the day, which led all players. And it gets better when you take into account PP results. Patti was on the ice for 5 Gopher goals; Sophie for 4 Gopher tallies. Note that Sophie had the shot block that led to the 3rd Gopher goal.

#1 Star: Taylor Heise, Minnesota
                                The Heise/Potomak x 2 Line was relatively quiet Friday. They made up for lost time on Saturday. After the first period stalemate, Hengler struck quickly to give the Gophers a one goal lead. The game was at the crossroads. Would the Buckeyes have an answer? Or would the Gophers be off to the races again?

Taylor made sure it was the latter. Heise scored two authoritative goals 44 seconds apart, with strong support from Sarah Potomak. Not to be left out, Amy Potomak scored a goal of her own to complete the explosive sequence.

Saturday's multi-goal outburst actually outdid its Friday counterpart by a good margin. All told, the Maroon & Gold scored a dizzying 6 goals in a span of 10:56. Yea or Yuck, depending on one's rooting interest. Moving on...

Up Next: The Suddenly Crucial Road Trip To St. Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                                X