Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    the size of the ice surface as it's the same size as everyone else's.
    Wisconsin's in LaBahn is 200 x 90 (and the Kohl Center is 97'); St Cloud is 100'.
    Last edited by robertearle; 01-20-2019, 07:48 PM.

Comment

OSU Ice Rink's dimensions are 200' x 85', and has been since it was renovated in the late 90's, so not sure what you mean by "smaller pad." You're right about us having a distinct advantage at home, but it has nothing to do with the size of the ice surface as it's the same size as everyone else's.
      Mark Johnson again in his weekly presser last week talked about how the small rink is a pain to play in.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        Wisconsin's in LaBahn is 200 x 90 (and the Kohl Center is 97'); St Cloud is 100'.
        Yeah, if LaBahn is 200' x 90', that would explain why Johnson always says our 200' x 85' regulation size sheet is "small." I had forgotten that St. Cloud had an Olympic size sheet like Minnesota does at Mariucci.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
          Or everyone else’s are wrong. Maybe it’s the smaller building but the ice surface sure looks smaller.
          Could be the smaller building or the low ceiling, but the surface is regulation (200' x 85') and has been for 20 or so years since the renovations.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Mark Johnson again in his weekly presser last week talked about how the small rink is a pain to play in.
            LOL, they didn't seem to have a problem with it in the Saturday game!
            Last edited by osualum86; 01-20-2019, 11:19 PM.

Comment

In other news, now that all the scores are in, Ohio State has dropped to 7th in the PairWise. It will be interesting to see how the team responds this weekend against Minnesota now that they have no margin for error whatsoever. It's basically win or set home and watch eight other teams play for a title now. We'll see what happens.

Comment

LOL, they didn't seem to have a problem with it in the Saturday game!
                It was almost comical the fact that he brought it up after the series again. It's not THAT different unless the corners are shaped weird.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  It was almost comical the fact that he brought it up after the series again. It's not THAT different unless the corners are shaped weird.
                  Could it be something like the old Boston Gardens where essentially there were no "corners"? (although in addition the dimensions on that ice surface were something less than 200 x 85, so it was even more noticeably smaller).
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    It's hard to say. It doesn't seem like the corners are shaped weird, but maybe they are somehow a little tighter than other rinks, despite the dimensions.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Could it be something like the old Boston Gardens where essentially there were no "corners"? (although in addition the dimensions on that ice surface were something less than 200 x 85, so it was even more noticeably smaller).
                      One of these days, I am going to get out my tape measure like Coach Norman Dale in 'Hoosiers'. 😃

Comment

These are the rink dimensions according to each of the WCHA school's official websites:

Bemidji State / Sanford Center / 200'x85'
                        Minnesota / Ridder Arena / 200'x85'
                        Minnesota Duluth / AMSOIL Arena / 200'x85'
                        Minnesota State, Mankato / Verizon Center / 200'x90'
                        Ohio State / OSU Ice Rink / 200'x85'
                        St. Cloud State / Herb Brooks National Hockey Center / 200'x100'
                        Wisconsin / LaBahn Arena / 200'x90'
                        2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Originally posted by ChickHicks86 View Post
                          These are the rink dimensions according to each of the WCHA school's official websites:

Bemidji State / Sanford Center / 200'x85'
                          Minnesota / Ridder Arena / 200'x85'
                          Minnesota Duluth / AMSOIL Arena / 200'x85'
                          Minnesota State, Mankato / Verizon Center / 200'x90'
                          Ohio State / OSU Ice Rink / 200'x85'*
                          St. Cloud State / Herb Brooks National Hockey Center / 200'x100'
                          Wisconsin / LaBahn Arena / 200'x90'
                          *To be verified with tape measure by osualum86.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Interestingly, if you go to the NCAA rule book for hockey (https://www.ncaa.org/playing-rules/i...key-rules-game), there seems to be a lot of room for interpretation when it comes to the rink layout. There are a lot of phrases like "as nearly as possible" and "should be" that allow for numerous exceptions to the recommended dimensions. I have no idea if any of these apply to the OSU rink, but these are a couple things that jumped out at me as things that could cause one rink to play differently than another ice sheet with the same dimensions:

Rule 1.2) "The corners should be rounded in the arc of a circle with a radius of 20 feet."
                            Rule 1.4) "A red line 2 inches wide, and a maximum of 15 feet and a minimum of 10 feet from each end of the rink (11 feet is preferred), shall be drawn completely across the width of the ice".
                            Rule 1.4 continued) "The ice area between the two goals shall be divided into three parts by lines 12 inches in width and blue in color, drawn at least 60 feet out from the goal lines, extending completely across the rink parallel with the goal lines... It is preferred that the offensive zone be 64 feet when possible."

Again, I know nothing about the OSU rink layout than what the official website says, but if the boards are rounded differently, or the goal lines or blue lines are located in unusual locations, it would make sense that teams might feel like they are playing on a smaller rink, even if the overall dimensions are 200'x85'.
                            2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

You can 'eyeball' the width of a rink pretty easily by looking at the little lines to outside of the faceoff circles and how close they are to the boards. On an 85' rink, the end of those lines is about three and a half feet from the board. If it is a 90' rink, the end of those lines will be six feet from the boards, and so on.

What I am not good at 'eyeballing' is whether or not the goals are 'too near' or 'too far' from the end boards. But my eyeballs tell me rinks vary some in that regard. As has been mentioned, that can vary from 10' to 15', with 11' being the 'standard'. Of course, if the rink is a true 200', then more space behind the net means a smaller center ice, and vice versa.

(And the whole discussion reminds me of something a co-worker used to say about 'standards': the nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                                But my eyeballs tell me rinks vary some in that regard.
                                I think my eyeballs lie to me at times. For example, AMSOIL always seems narrower than other 85' rinks to me. It must just be the angle to the plane of the ice surface that I'm viewing, but it appears that there's less room compared to somewhere like Ridder or Sanford Center.

I like the standards saying.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X