Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    ...And an ongoing concern of mine for years, off and on, is not shooting with conviction. That has reared its ugly head again this year which I just don't understand at this level. Some of the shooting effort belongs back in Bantam...years ago in their careers.

Watched the 'Dogs' series with UM and it was like night and day...UM players generally shoot like they mean it...like they should...and that is a pleasure to see. We'll see if UMD can correct this serious deficiency and doing so would automatically increase the capitalization percentage.
    Tried to watch for this in the Saturday game. Didn't really see any evidence of Bulldogs being timid about shooting. Of course a Buckeye fan will have a natural inclination to credit the Buckeye Defense when a shot is passed up, rather than question the opposing shooters.

I dunno. Maybe having to face Maddie Rooney everyday in practice has caused the Bulldogs to be just a little too fine with their shots? Meaning an internalized belief that a shot has to be perfect to have a chance. You've seen much more of the Bulldogs than I have; and would know better than I...

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    Pgb, with your Three Stars, which are thoroughly enjoyable, I didn't feel the need to add much. And having been a fan of the Three Stars for many seasons, I am thrilled that you are posting them here!

I will look forward to your Three Stars for today's game whenever you get them up.
    Busy hockey weekend for sure. Nice results over at the Schott, to say the least. That said, I've tried to meet my "publication deadline" a little more consistently this season -- even when there are some worthy distractions.

The Bulldogs travel to Clarkson to take on the Golden Knights in a big non-league series on 11/23 - 11/24.
    Now there's an East/West match-up to be thankful for. Anyone have streaming info?

As for today's game and this weekend as a whole, I will paraphrase a Mark Twain quote ... "Reports of the OSU Women's Hockey team's demise have been greatly exaggerated!"
    Haha. Got a good laugh from this.

But could said reports be deemed to be exaggerated due to OSU's handing that baton off to UMD this weekend?
    Well, I don't think you can hand off setbacks like a hot potato.

It's also much too early to be writing anyone off. Lots of hockey still to be played. Time will tell whether this weekend's results have a big impact on the final standings & rankings. Or not.

But I'm not going to deny the self-evident. It's really nice to have these two games in the win column. The resulting credibility is to be savored. Cramping the skeptics' style feels good. Even if no one was saying the Buckeyes were done for the year, a rough weekend does tend to bring the skeptics out of the woodwork.

Comment

But could said reports be deemed to be exaggerated due to OSU's handing that baton off to UMD this weekend?

Again, didn't see it but hope the play was competitive. As I alluded to last night UMD has offensive production problems. One goal per game isn't going to cut it.

Congratulations on the sweep. Hopefully UMD's offensive will be tuned up for the rematch.
      Glad I could make you laugh! I am not sure if OSU "handed the baton off" or not, but I can tell you the games were competitive for the most part. Maddie Rooney will keep you in games and hopefully your team will figure out the goal scoring soon. They will definitely need goals next weekend when they face the Golden Knights. I will be keeping an eye on those scores. Good luck next weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        OSU was never pronounced dead but there was a time I had hoped for them to have a home game in the NC$$s instead of a trip to Madison. I felt confident either OSU or UMD could do it but it is not looking good at the moment.
        We'll see what happens. I think there is still enough season left and enough games against some top five teams that we could move up into contention for a home game in the NCAA Tournament. We'll see what happens with that. The reason I fired up the Mark Twain quote was a good friend of mine (not going to say who or which team he roots for to protect his identity ) said we were not as good as last season and that I needed to temper my expectations. Maybe you are right, maybe there aren't enough games left to move up into a top four spot in the PairWise and get to host an NCAA Tournament game. Looking at the current PairWise standings, it will definitely be an uphill climb. If we continue to play the way we did this weekend vs UMD, we should put ourselves in position to be one of the eight who get in.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Busy hockey weekend for sure. Nice results over at the Schott, to say the least. That said, I've tried to meet my "publication deadline" a little more consistently this season -- even when there are some worthy distractions.
          It was a great weekend for local hockey fans, wasn't it? Sweeps for both the Buckeye Men and Women, and the CBJ won again last night to remain in first place in the Metropolitan Division!

Comment

... I think there is still enough season left and enough games against some top five teams that we could move up into contention for a home game in the NCAA Tournament. We'll see what happens with that...Maybe you are right, maybe there aren't enough games left to move up into a top four spot in the PairWise and get to host an NCAA Tournament game. Looking at the current PairWise standings, it will definitely be an uphill climb. If we continue to play the way we did this weekend vs UMD, we should put ourselves in position to be one of the eight who get in.
            There are enough games. The issue is that with four conferences, it's really tough for one conference to get 3 teams into the top 4 positions. Has it ever happened in the 8 team tournament era?

Within each conference, losses and ties inevitably occur in the head-to-head match-ups. Now if 3 WCHA contenders run the table against everybody else all year long, I would think it would be mathematically possible to get home ice for 3 teams. But we're already well short of running the table against everyone else. As is UMD. I believe that this is what ne7minder is referencing.

It was a great weekend for local hockey fans, wasn't it? Sweeps for both the Buckeye Men and Women, and the CBJ won again last night to remain in first place in the Metropolitan Division!
            Indeed. Now I wasn't able to do much with the CBJ game, though I did listen to the broadcast on 97.1 during my drive home from campus. Heard 2 goals called. Sounded good!

Of course there was also a certain Football game that was way too interesting...

Comment

The issue is that with four conferences, it's really tough for one conference to get 3 teams into the top 4 positions. Has it ever happened in the 8 team tournament era?
              ARM will know, without having to look it up. No, seriously.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

There are enough games. The issue is that with four conferences, it's really tough for one conference to get 3 teams into the top 4 positions. Has it ever happened in the 8 team tournament era?
                No it hasn't. Those 3 tournament winners (UM, UMD and UW) from the WCHA have probably come the closest, especially in the early years of the 8 team era. Maybe if Wisconsin had beaten Minnesota in that overtime game of the 2005 WCHA tournament they might have gotten a home game against Dartmouth and if they had won that game then Bob's your uncle.
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 11-19-2018, 08:47 PM. Reason: Just wanted to write Bob's your uncle in a post.
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  ARM will know, without having to look it up. No, seriously.
                  I don't doubt it for a second.

When I was I kid, there was character in a series of children's books named "Encyclopedia Brown." USCHO has Encyclopedia ARM.

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                  No it hasn't. Those 3 tournament winners from the WCHA have probably come the closest to it happening though, especially in the early years of the 8 team era and maybe if Wisconsin had beaten Minnesota in that overtime game of the 2005 WCHA tournament they might have gotten a home game against Dartmouth.
                  Appreciate the confirmation. Was pretty sure that was the case, but was too tired/lazy last night to look it up myself. And it was those early years around 2005 that I couldn't remember clearly.

Comment

As I alluded to last night UMD has offensive production problems. One goal per game isn't going to cut it.

Congratulations on the sweep. Hopefully UMD's offensive will be tuned up for the rematch.
                    This year through 12 games the Bulldogs are producing 2.25 Goals/g, ranking second to last in program history. (2017-18 was lowest at: 2.03 G/g)
                    First 10 seasons of Bulldog hockey; 4+ G/g, last ten seasons (including 2018-19); 2.44 G/g
                    Definitely a change in women's hockey since the early years; more teams, better talent, and more competition for recruits - I don't think they need to get back to 4+ G/g, but scoring 3 consistently would be nice.

Comment

Noticed that MeiGray is auctioning off a set of Game-Worn NWHL Jerseys today. (Tuesday 11/20). There's a Lisa Chesson Buffalo Beauts Jersey to be had:

http://meigrayauctions.com/catalog.aspx?auctionid=217

$200 isn't cheap. Conversely, $200 isn't a huge sum of money in the world of Pro Sports Memorabilia. But no matter how you look at the price, it's kind of neat that the NWHL jerseys are in the mix. Naturally the inclusion of a Buckeye & Team USA alum in the auction caught my eye...

OK Buckeye fans. Who's going to be the one to wear that Lisa Chesson Jersey to the next home game at the Ice Rink?

Comment

Noticed that MeiGray is auctioning off a set of Game-Worn NWHL Jerseys today. (Tuesday 11/20). There's a Lisa Chesson Buffalo Beauts Jersey to be had:

http://meigrayauctions.com/catalog.aspx?auctionid=217

$200 isn't cheap. Conversely, $200 isn't a huge sum of money in the world of Pro Sports Memorabilia. But no matter how you look at the price, it's kind of neat that the NWHL jerseys are in the mix. Naturally the inclusion of a Buckeye & Team USA alum in the auction caught my eye...

OK Buckeye fans. Who's going to be the one to wear that Lisa Chesson Jersey to the next home game at the Ice Rink?
                        Well, that is kind of neat. I actually have a #11 Lisa Chesson Buffalo Beauts replica jersey that looks just like that one. We actually have a couple more Buffalo Beauts jerseys on the way ... the wife and I have ordered #18 Julianna Iafallo Buffalo Beauts replica jerseys. We should be getting them soon. I also have some Toronto Furies jerseys of former Buckeyes Tessa Bonhomme, Natalie Spooner, and Danielle Gagne. Mrs 86 has a Laura McIntosh Brampton Thunder jersey. We try to follow and support our Buckeyes after their OSU playing days are over. We are actually going to catch a Buffalo Beauts game next month while the OSU Women are on break.

Comment

I managed to catch the "doubleheader" last Saturday, the women at 1:00 PM and the men at 5:00 PM . Love that scheduling since I live near Cincinnati and still managed to be home by the times the drunks started hitting the highways. Impressed with both teams. I was hesitant about going to the men's game since I had had been to both the 6-3 and 8-2 losses. Jinx is over,

On the "Official Site" there is a listing of seven women signing their letters of intent for next season. Worth checking out. Looks like some nice players coming in next season to build on what;s already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                            I managed to catch the "doubleheader" last Saturday, the women at 1:00 PM and the men at 5:00 PM . Love that scheduling since I live near Cincinnati and still managed to be home by the times the drunks started hitting the highways. Impressed with both teams. I was hesitant about going to the men's game since I had had been to both the 6-3 and 8-2 losses. Jinx is over,

On the "Official Site" there is a listing of seven women signing their letters of intent for next season. Worth checking out. Looks like some nice players coming in next season to build on what;s already here.
                            Totally agree on the recruiting class! Those are some big time recruits! Cannot wait to see them all in Scarlet & Gray next season!

Comment

With a few teams ranked above us losing this weekend, the Buckeye Women missed out on a great opportunity to move up in the polls as they dropped a 3-0 game to the Minnesota State Mavericks earlier today. The story of this game was freshman sensation goaltender Abigail Levy of Minnesota State stopping all 41 Ohio State shots she faced to get the shutout. Coach Muzerall felt the effort was there, but said, "We have to learn to score, especially when we put 41 shots on net ... We need to find a way to bury the puck and get it done." Ohio State out-shot the Mavericks 41-22. Buckeye goaltender Andrea Braendli stopped 19 of the 21 shots she faced. The Mavericks' 22nd shot was an empty netter. The two teams were scoreless through two periods. Minnesota State got a power play goal from Anna Wilgren to make the score 1-0, then later in the third period, Megan Hinze added the second goal. Brittyn Fleming scored the Mavericks' empty-netter. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

Coach Muzerall felt the effort was there, but said, "We have to learn to score, especially when we put 41 shots on net ... We need to find a way to bury the puck and get it done."
                                Generally speaking, here's a suggestion.

Learn how to shoot.

I was shocked to find out years ago that UMD didn't hold any shooting drills/clinics...probably still don't. And judging by the way some their players "shot" and still do "shoot"...it shows.

As obvious as the problem was for a few years absolutely nothing was done to address that problem. I know because I asked some of the players and was told that at this level players are supposed to know how to shoot. I expected that answer.

What I also expected was that the coaches would be smart enough to do something about it.

What the coaching staff seemed unwilling to ask themselves was "what if some of them can't shoot? And if they can't, what do we do about it?"

(One would assume that something as important as that would have been on the scouting report.)

Ignoring it seemed to be UMD's strategy. That strategy doesn't work.

Don't know if that is part of the problem on your team but if it isn't then you are in elite shooting company. I've been impressed the last several years how UM and UW seem to have several players on their team who could hold clinics on this. Several on each team is a big reason for their success in my opinion.

A friend of mine (who I've mentioned before) who holds no whistle scrimmages several times per week told me a few years back about a player that came out to one of his scrimmage. His description of her abilities was "she shoots like a man!" (For any PC'ers in the crowd...that is a serious compliment). Never thought her playing or skating ability was anything to write home about, (still don't), and then a couple of years ago she ended up on Team Canada. The reason she ever got noticed in the first place years before that was the same reason that she ended up on Team Canada...she could shoot like a man. Hopefully, the rest of her abilities could be improved upon until it was passable or better, I assume was the thinking.

UMD has continually missed the boat on this topic and it is hard to understand how they willingly do so. Even if half your players can shoot like a man that means the other half can't. Even a 20% or 30% improvement in the shooting abilities of those players should translate into a significant contribution to the team's results. And by "shooting skills" not only am I referring to the biomechanics of the skill but also aiming strategy as in the "hole" system. Ever notice how the top scorers don't shoot the puck into the goaltender's midsection too often when the goaltender is standing still like a cardboard goalie and the one's that don't score often, do?

Can't see that most other teams would be that much different than UMD. Teach them the proper biomachanics, aiming strategy and instill in them the need to always shoot with conviction...like they mean it. When you see players who do this constantly they just jump off the page at you...you cannot help but notice them.

Comment

Working...
                                X