Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Well that was disappointing at the end but was really had me screaming was the camera was zeroed in on center ice from about a minute left until the last 10 seconds! Somebody leave for a bathroom break?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      Well that was disappointing at the end but was really had me screaming was the camera was zeroed in on center ice from about a minute left until the last 10 seconds! Somebody leave for a bathroom break?
      Sure seemed that way...
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I was going to wait until later to write this when I wasn't as emotional, but it won't be any easier to write this later. Ohio State's season ended today with a record of 20-13-2, nothing to be ashamed of, but the season is over nonetheless. The Buckeyes had some quality wins this season, but not enough to offset the plethora of bad losses. Bottom line, today was a must win if the Buckeyes wanted to hear their name called tomorrow night, and they came up short. My heart hurts for them, but hopefully they learn from this so that history doesn't repeat itself next season. The Badgers opened the scoring the first period on a power play goal by Britta Curl. The Buckeyes would tie it up at 1-1 on a goal by Tatum Skaggs and that is how the first period ended. The Buckeyes scored first in the second period on a Charly Dahlquist goal to take a 2-1 lead. Sophie Shirley would tie it up for the Badgers late in the second period and the teams would go into the third period tied at 2-2. In the third period, Wisconsin's Annie Pankowski would net the game-winner for the Badgers to send them into tomorrow's WCHA Title Game vs Minnesota. Wisconsin outshot Ohio State 42-15. Badger goaltender Kristen Campbell stopped 13 of the 15 shots she faced. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopped 39 of the 42 shots she faced. Ohio State's season ends earlier than they wanted and hopefully, that will provide motivation to the returning players. Love our team and coaching staff, and clearly, Coach Nadine Muzerall has the program moving in the right direction. They just fell short of the goals they set for themselves this season. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. Congratulations and special thanks to our Seniors, who really contributed to the bar being raised with this program. They will be missed and cherished by Buckeye Nation, as well they should. Thank you for choosing the Buckeyes ... Lauren Boyle, Charly Dahlquist, Maddy Field, Erin Langermeier, and Jacyn Reeves!
        Last edited by osualum86; 03-10-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.

Can Ohio stop the transfers this off season?
          Pass the puck

Comment

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
            Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.

Can Ohio stop the transfers this off season?
            Who cares? If the athletes don't want to be there...adios! Muzz seems to be a no-nonsense/no drama coach, so if they lose someone who doesn't fit her style of coaching, so what. Sauve v Braendli; 1.68/.937 v 1.88/.939; I would take that trade - three more years with Braendli and less drama. It seems that the remaining players have bought into (or accepted) Muzz's coaching style.

Comment

I have to say that I have watched this team all year and I sure thought this would be the year. It seems as though they struggled at times but when they finished so strong against Wisconsin, wow, I thought here we go. Running into a stubborn Mankato team in the first round might have been a factor. Thinking you are going to blow away a team like that and then play two close games might have affected this team mentally.

As far as players leaving as stated earlier in this thread, I agree, if you don't want to be here, leave. While I am not real familiar with this coach, she seems pretty intense. If I had a kid playing, this is the kind of coach I would want for them. At this level in the WCHA anyone can beat anyone any day. I think you have to be tough and have a tough coach. If you cant handle it, move out so she can get players who can.

Just my opinion (which doesn't mean much) just a fan of this team!

Comment

Originally posted by Milty View Post
                Running into a stubborn Mankato team in the first round might have been a factor. Thinking you are going to blow away a team like that and then play two close games might have affected this team mentally!
                OSU lost on a late goal to the No. 1 team in the country. Wisconsin was a deeper, better team. I'm not sure that blowing the Mavericks away the weekend before would have changed that any.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I have to say that I have watched this team all year and I sure thought this would be the year. It seems as though they struggled at times but when they finished so strong against Wisconsin, wow, I thought here we go. Running into a stubborn Mankato team in the first round might have been a factor. Thinking you are going to blow away a team like that and then play two close games might have affected this team mentally.
                  Appreciate the interest & support. On this specific point, though, I have to disagree.

In person, at the Ice Rink, both victory celebrations were authentic & energetic. A positive send-off to the Final Face-Off. The theory that the players might have been depressed after the wins never occurred to me. And now that the idea is on table, I have to say it doesn't ring true.

I'm presume you're basing this theory on a knowledge of the scores & standings, and perhaps watching webcasts of the games. I just can't fathom that anyone who attended the games in person experienced them as a downer.

Comment

Thank you for stopping by the thread, Milty! Mrs 86 and I try to get to all the home games and a road trip or two. I thought this would be the year, too. The talent was there, as evidenced by wins over Minnesota (at Ridder) and Wisconsin (took 7 of the 12 points from Wisconsin this season), and some other quality wins. After the Wisconsin series in January, we were 15-7 and setting at #4 in the PairWise. Unfortunately, we stumbled down the stretch (5-6-2), and as I said previously, the quality wins we had were not enough to offset bad losses to teams well below us in the rankings. I don't think the first round series vs Mankato had an adverse effect on our girls. Mankato had a tremendous goaltender this season (Abigail Levy), and she was difficult to score on. Mankato gave a lot of teams fits this season. Getting back to the bad losses, I know it's human nature to maybe not be quite as motivated for a game vs Bemidji as you are for a game vs Minnesota or Wisconsin, but that really cost Ohio State dearly this season. The PairWise really penalizes teams that are ranked in the top ten and lose to teams that are ranked way below them, and Ohio State just had way too many of those this season. The Buckeyes had some of those last season, but they had enough quality wins to overcome them. Unfortunately that was not the case this season. Hopefully, this provides them with the motivation and fire to make sure history does not repeat itself next season and beyond. I am thrilled with Coach Muzerall and her staff. Despite not making the NCAA Tournament this season, clearly, she has the program moving in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                      Thank you for stopping by the thread, Milty! Mrs 86 and I try to get to all the home games and a road trip or two. I thought this would be the year, too. The talent was there, as evidenced by wins over Minnesota (at Ridder) and Wisconsin (took 7 of the 12 points from Wisconsin this season), and some other quality wins. After the Wisconsin series in January, we were 15-7 and setting at #4 in the PairWise. Unfortunately, we stumbled down the stretch (5-6-2), and as I said previously, the quality wins we had were not enough to offset bad losses to teams well below us in the rankings. I don't think the first round series vs Mankato had an adverse effect on our girls. Mankato had a tremendous goaltender this season (Abigail Levy), and she was difficult to score on. Mankato gave a lot of teams fits this season. Getting back to the bad losses, I know it's human nature to maybe not be quite as motivated for a game vs Bemidji as you are for a game vs Minnesota or Wisconsin, but that really cost Ohio State dearly this season. The PairWise really penalizes teams that are ranked in the top ten and lose to teams that are ranked way below them, and Ohio State just had way too many of those this season. The Buckeyes had some of those last season, but they had enough quality wins to overcome them. Unfortunately that was not the case this season. Hopefully, this provides them with the motivation and fire to make sure history does not repeat itself next season and beyond. I am thrilled with Coach Muzerall and her staff. Despite not making the NCAA Tournament this season, clearly, she has the program moving in the right direction.
                      I agree, this team is headed in the right direction. I didn't mean to imply that Mankato was necessarily bad, they do have a good goalie for sure and that #17 looks like a good player as well. I think they may be a tough team for the next couple of years. You are right, the OSU staff is doing a good job. I hope to make my way up there next season to catch a game or two.

Comment

I agree, this team is headed in the right direction. I didn't mean to imply that Mankato was necessarily bad, they do have a good goalie for sure and that #17 looks like a good player as well. I think they may be a tough team for the next couple of years. You are right, the OSU staff is doing a good job. I hope to make my way up there next season to catch a game or two.
                        I get what you were saying about Minnesota State, and we did end up going 5-1 vs them this season, but most of those games were close. Abigail Levy is going to be a tremendous goalie in this league. She is a tall goalie, so with all the gear on, she takes up a lot of space in net, very hard to score on. #17, Brooke Bryant looks like she is going to be a good one. She scored both of the Maverick goals in the 3-2 loss to the Bucks in the Friday night WCHA Playoff game back on 3/1, and she is only a freshman, so opponents will have to deal with her for three more seasons.

Hope you get a chance to come up for some games some weekend! Just a word of advice, though, check the football schedule and try to come up when there is not a home football Saturday. Don't get me wrong, OSU Football is my first love, but it is such a pain trying to get in and out of there on a home football Saturday. In a normal season, there is only one of those. This past season, there were three home football Saturdays when Women's Hockey was home. I was so ready for December to roll around so there weren't anymore home football games. If you have ever been to OSU, the women's games are in the OSU Ice Rink. I am going to date myself on this, but when I was a student at tOSU, the men's games were at the OSU Ice Rink, and it was undersized ... 185 x 80 if I remember correctly. In the late 90's, they renovated it for the "new" women's program and expanded the ice surface to regulation (200' x 85'). In the past, I have vented about it being the worst facility in the WCHA, and it is, but I do like the intimate atmosphere and opportunity to say hello to our girls after the games and encourage them. Hope you are able to make it up.

Comment

Hope you get a chance to come up for some games some weekend! Just a word of advice, though, check the football schedule and try to come up when there is not a home football Saturday. Don't get me wrong, OSU Football is my first love, but it is such a pain trying to get in and out of there on a home football Saturday.
                          You speak the truth. And yet, someone coming from a great distance might reasonably decide that seeing both Football & Hockey in person, on the same trip, is worth the inconvenience.

In a normal season, there is only one of those. This past season, there were three home football Saturdays when Women's Hockey was home. I was so ready for December to roll around so there weren't anymore home football games.
                          Don't know if this season's schedule was an aberration or a new normal.

One thing to take into account is that virtually every organization in Central Ohio tries to avoid Football Saturdays for weekend events. It makes the "open" Fall Weekends awfully busy with non-Football stuff. In other words, lots of schedule conflicts. This certainly includes competing sports events, such as Men's Hockey & CBJ Hockey. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like this problem has gotten worse over the years. So pick your poison, I guess.

Comment

I get what you were saying about Minnesota State, and we did end up going 5-1 vs them this season, but most of those games were close. Abigail Levy is going to be a tremendous goalie in this league. She is a tall goalie, so with all the gear on, she takes up a lot of space in net, very hard to score on. #17, Brooke Bryant looks like she is going to be a good one. She scored both of the Maverick goals in the 3-2 loss to the Bucks in the Friday night WCHA Playoff game back on 3/1, and she is only a freshman, so opponents will have to deal with her for three more seasons.

Hope you get a chance to come up for some games some weekend! Just a word of advice, though, check the football schedule and try to come up when there is not a home football Saturday. Don't get me wrong, OSU Football is my first love, but it is such a pain trying to get in and out of there on a home football Saturday. In a normal season, there is only one of those. This past season, there were three home football Saturdays when Women's Hockey was home. I was so ready for December to roll around so there weren't anymore home football games. If you have ever been to OSU, the women's games are in the OSU Ice Rink. I am going to date myself on this, but when I was a student at tOSU, the men's games were at the OSU Ice Rink, and it was undersized ... 185 x 80 if I remember correctly. In the late 90's, they renovated it for the "new" women's program and expanded the ice surface to regulation (200' x 85'). In the past, I have vented about it being the worst facility in the WCHA, and it is, but I do like the intimate atmosphere and opportunity to say hello to our girls after the games and encourage them. Hope you are able to make it up.
                            Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated. I have been to an OSU game before, many years ago when it was still a horseshoe. OSU has a great athletic history for sure. Look forward to maybe battling the crowds and catch both. The beauty of retirement is flexibility in schedule. Thanks again and Go Bucks!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated. I have been to an OSU game before, many years ago when it was still a horseshoe.
                              This is probably splitting hairs, but technically it still is. The current South Stands, while very permanent, is a separate structure. There's a ramp for players & coaches on each side of the structure.

How far back do we have to go to find a year when there were no South Stands? I can't even remember such a time! Or maybe the temporary bleachers from the '90's on back don't count as compromising on the horseshoe shape. Back in the day those bleachers were removed for Track & Field season.

OSU has a great athletic history for sure. Look forward to maybe battling the crowds and catch both. The beauty of retirement is flexibility in schedule. Thanks again and Go Bucks!
                              History indeed. I've even got some great memories specific to those rickety old bleachers. Do you remember the Home win over Notre Dame/Lou Holtz? When Terry Glen scored the long touchdown, it was like an earthquake in those stands.

Hope you can make the trip soon. You wanna go back. You gotta go back.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                How far back do we have to go to find a year when there were no South Stands? I can't even remember such a time! Or maybe the temporary bleachers from the '90's on back don't count as compromising on the horseshoe shape. Back in the day those bleachers were removed for Track & Field season.

History indeed. I've even got some great memories specific to those rickety old bleachers. Do you remember the Home win over Notre Dame/Lou Holtz? When Terry Glen scored the long touchdown, it was like an earthquake in those stands.

Hope you can make the trip soon. You wanna go back. You gotta go back.
                                My best friend and I were at that ND game in 1995, and you'll never guess where we sat?!? Yeah, South Stands, and those stands were definitely shaking, especially on that long TD by Terry Glenn. I will never forget that play. A really significant thing about that play was that one of the ND guys Terry Glenn outran on that play was Allen Rossum, a track star who ran a 10.02 100 meters and was a two-time All-American for the Irish Track Team. It showed how fast Terry Glenn was in his own right. But yeah, in my years at tOSU (1982-1986), Ohio Stadium still had a track, so South Stands came down after football season was over. I like your last two lines from 'I Wanna Go Back To Ohio State.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBiY48bRO-I

Ok, how about that Terry Glenn play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRi6ArvLgRU
                                Last edited by osualum86; 03-15-2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X