Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Let's go RED!

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

MJ mentioned in his kinda weekly press conference that OSU's rink is smaller than typical. What are the rink dimensions?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    MJ mentioned in his kinda weekly press conference that OSU's rink is smaller than typical. What are the rink dimensions?
    It used to be short but a number of years ago they shrunk the south stands to 3 rows so it could be extended. It's now officially listed as 200 x 85.
    When the men's team played at ASU earlier this season in their old barn it was almost a twin of the OSU women's barn.
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 01-09-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    It used to be short but a number of years ago they shrunk the south stands to 3 rows so it could be extended. It's now officially listed as 200 x 85.
    When the men's team played at ASU earlier this season in their old barn it was almost a twin of the OSU women's barn.
    Older article on rink sizes, but still relevant today:
    https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...are-going-away
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Let's go RED!

Thanks.

Wisconsin will look to keep on rolling this weekend. If we can get the wins against a team like Wisconsin it will be a defining moment for this year's team.
    We've shown moments of greatness with just as many moments of inconsistency.

After thinking about it MJ could have been referring to the very low ceiling.

Johnson and other coaches have been saying that for years. The OSU Ice Rink has been 200 x 85 since the late 90's when they renovated it, same size as the Schott and Nationwide Arena downtown where our NHL team plays.

Wisconsin will look to keep on rolling this weekend. If we can get the wins against a team like Wisconsin it will be a defining moment for this year's team.
    We've shown moments of greatness with just as many moments of inconsistency.
    We need to at least get one of these. We have finally gotten ourselves into the top four of the PairWise. Need to stay there so we can host an NCAA Quarterfinal game. Saint Anselm is actually listed at third, but as Eeyore said earlier in this thread, they are not eligible, and no one is sure why they are listed at third. I agree with you that this team has been great at times this season, but they have also had some head-scratching losses like the sweep at Bemidji. Getting beat at Minnesota State and at St. Lawrence come to mind as well. The St. Lawrence loss looks worse now that they have slipped below .500 and out of the polls. I don't have a problem with the loss at Minnesota or even the loss at home vs Colgate, although honestly, we should have beaten Colgate at home. After a hard-fought 4-3 win in the Friday night game vs Colgate, we jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the Saturday game, then took our foot off the gas and gave up 5 unanswered goals to lose 5-2. But yeah, great wins, great season so far, but need to be more consistent. If we want that home game in the quarterfinals, which is an attainable goal at this point, we need some wins over Wisconsin and Minnesota, and we need to beat the teams we are supposed to beat.
    Last edited by osualum86; 01-09-2019 at 10:49 PM.

It tears me that I won't see these games this weekend. I have commitments Saturday afternoon and no way I can miss the men's team play TTUN!

Well, since we're taking attendance...

Last year I was perfect for the Buckeye Women; I made every home game. According to current plans, I'll only miss one game in 2018-19. Unhappily, it's the Friday evening Badger game. Now I'm sure the Stars will be shining brightly tomorrow night. But the astronomer will be away from the telescope.

Saturday? I'll be there. I'm told we're expecting 3 inches of snow that day. Don't care if it's 13 inches of snow. I'll be there!

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Well, since we're taking attendance...

Last year I was perfect for the Buckeye Women; I made every home game. According to current plans, I'll only miss one game in 2018-19. Unhappily, it's the Friday evening Badger game. Now I'm sure the Stars will be shining brightly tomorrow night. But the astronomer will be away from the telescope.

Saturday? I'll be there. I'm told we're expecting 3 inches of snow that day. Don't care if it's 13 inches of snow. I'll be there!
    A true women's hockey fan, and home team supporter! Sure wish we had more of them, just like you, pgb-ohio.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Now I'm sure the Stars will be shining brightly tomorrow night. But the astronomer will be away from the telescope.
    In that case, I think you should give us an abbreviated 3 Stars in advance. Here is my attempt with the lens cap still on the telescope, and no honorable mentions, because 3 means 3, and I have no honor to spare.

#3 Annie Pankowski: that empty-net goal looks like a line drive in the box score;
    #2 Andrea Brändli: made a lot of saves, but now she knows why Kassidy Sauvé got tired of playing the Badgers;
    #1 Abby Roque: although it might be Sophie Shirley, as the prognostication algorithm I'm using hashes #18 and #9 into the same bucket.

If these prove to be way off, sorry, but I'm just so preoccupied with concern over the crisis at our southern border.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

To quote the Gopher Play-By-Play-Guy, "Big Win for Ohio State" 1-0!!

Concern over the southern border has a lot of prognosticators off their game I bet. And of course there is the wonderful Jayme Closs news! ARM did have #2 half right, Brandli with 32 saves.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-11-2019 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Hope it's not a day of upsets.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

You can hear crickets on the Wisconsin thread.

Wisconsin has lost two 1-0 games against two of the best teams in the country in Minnesota and Ohio State. Not much to be too concerned about there except maybe lack of scoring.
    "For absolutely no reason we went to Canada and when we were coming back over the border they asked us if we had anything to declare...
    I said yes...War." Steven Wright

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    ARM did have #2 half right, Brandli with 32 saves.
    It's hard to come up with 3 stars in a game with only 1 goal. At least it is for me.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Let's go RED!

I am pretty much it on the UW thread and I was on movie date with my wife and just got back. I have no idea how the game went, therefore I really can't comment too much except a couple Mark Johnson clichés'......Sometimes the puck just won't go in the net, that's how it goes. If you only allow 1 you have a great chance to win, it didn't happen. Obviously it's hard to score on the better teams like OSU and UM.

I am pretty much it on the UW thread and I was on movie date with my wife and just got back. I have no idea how the game went, therefore I really can't comment too much except a couple Mark Johnson clichés'......Sometimes the puck just won't go in the net, that's how it goes. If you only allow 1 you have a great chance to win, it didn't happen. Obviously it's hard to score on the better teams like OSU and UM.
    Tim -
    The one goal came at the 4-plus minutes mark of overlapping penalties against Wisconsin: (IIRC correctly, without looking it up; and hoping my math is right) 1:48 of 5-on-4, then 0:12 of 5-on-3, then 1:25 of 5-on-4, then 0:23 of 5-on-3. The goal came just a few seconds after that 5-on-3 expired, ending the third of the overlapping penalties. During the rest of the game, UW had at least one pipe, and two cross-crease passes to open half-goals that they somehow managed to not put away. Outshot OSU despite playing large amounts of PK. It's a bummer Wisconsin lost, but it's also hard to get too 'worried' about it.

(Plus their first game in over a month, etc etc)
    Last edited by robertearle; 01-11-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Final Score From Friday, January 11th
    Ohio State 1
    Wisconsin 0

Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

Wow! Way to go, Buckeyes!

I just hope I'm allowed back in the building tomorrow after being AWOL tonight.

Using the Indirect Evidence of the Published Scoresheet, How about:

The 3 Hypothesized Stars of the Game?

#3 Star: Sophie Jacques, Ohio State (Primary Assist on GWG; 4 Blocked Shots)

#2 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State (GWG; Key Part of the Stellar Defensive Effort)

#1 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State (Shutout The #1 Team in the Country With a 32 Save Performance)

Final Score From Friday, January 11th
    Ohio State 1
    Wisconsin 0

Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

Wow! Way to go, Buckeyes!

I just hope I'm allowed back in the building tomorrow after being AWOL tonight.

Using the Indirect Evidence of the Published Scoresheet, How about:

The 3 Hypothesized Stars of the Game?

#3 Star: Sophie Jacques, Ohio State (Primary Assist on GWG; 4 Blocked Shots)

#2 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State (GWG; Key Part of the Stellar Defensive Effort)

#1 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State (Shutout The #1 Team in the Country With a 32 Save Performance)
    Pgb, even though you were not there, your Stars of the Game are spot on! Buckeye freshman netminder Andrea Braendli stopped all 32 shots she faced to shut out the #1 team in the country in what was really a great women's hockey game, at least if you are ok with defensive battles. Jincy Dunne scored a power play goal in the first period and the Buckeyes made it stand for the 1-0 win. Wisconsin out-shot Ohio State 32-20 in this game, but the Bucks were able to get one by Wisconsin netminder Kristen Campbell, who stopped 19 of the 20 shots she faced. That is basically it in this one. Not much in the box score. The penalty discrepancy can be attributed to the fact that Ohio State, being at home and having played games vs the Minnesota Whitecaps last weekend, came out flying in the first period and forced Wisconsin to take some penalties. The Bucks were fortunate to get a pp goal in the first period as things settled down after that and Wisconsin seemed to get their legs under them. I expect Wisconsin to come out with a lot of energy tomorrow to avoid a sweep and we will need to match that.

Thread Information