Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    ARM did have #2 half right, Brandli with 32 saves.
    It's hard to come up with 3 stars in a game with only 1 goal. At least it is for me.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      You can hear crickets on the Wisconsin thread.
      I am pretty much it on the UW thread and I was on movie date with my wife and just got back. I have no idea how the game went, therefore I really can't comment too much except a couple Mark Johnson clichés'......Sometimes the puck just won't go in the net, that's how it goes. If you only allow 1 you have a great chance to win, it didn't happen. Obviously it's hard to score on the better teams like OSU and UM.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I am pretty much it on the UW thread and I was on movie date with my wife and just got back. I have no idea how the game went, therefore I really can't comment too much except a couple Mark Johnson clichés'......Sometimes the puck just won't go in the net, that's how it goes. If you only allow 1 you have a great chance to win, it didn't happen. Obviously it's hard to score on the better teams like OSU and UM.
        Tim -
        The one goal came at the 4-plus minutes mark of overlapping penalties against Wisconsin: (IIRC correctly, without looking it up; and hoping my math is right) 1:48 of 5-on-4, then 0:12 of 5-on-3, then 1:25 of 5-on-4, then 0:23 of 5-on-3. The goal came just a few seconds after that 5-on-3 expired, ending the third of the overlapping penalties. During the rest of the game, UW had at least one pipe, and two cross-crease passes to open half-goals that they somehow managed to not put away. Outshot OSU despite playing large amounts of PK. It's a bummer Wisconsin lost, but it's also hard to get too 'worried' about it.

(Plus their first game in over a month, etc etc)
        Last edited by robertearle; 01-11-2019, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, January 11th
          Ohio State 1
          Wisconsin 0

Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

Wow! Way to go, Buckeyes!

I just hope I'm allowed back in the building tomorrow after being AWOL tonight.

Using the Indirect Evidence of the Published Scoresheet, How about:

The 3 Hypothesized Stars of the Game?

#3 Star: Sophie Jacques, Ohio State (Primary Assist on GWG; 4 Blocked Shots)

#2 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State (GWG; Key Part of the Stellar Defensive Effort)

#1 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State (Shutout The #1 Team in the Country With a 32 Save Performance)

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            Final Score From Friday, January 11th
            Ohio State 1
            Wisconsin 0

Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

Wow! Way to go, Buckeyes!

I just hope I'm allowed back in the building tomorrow after being AWOL tonight.

Using the Indirect Evidence of the Published Scoresheet, How about:

The 3 Hypothesized Stars of the Game?

#3 Star: Sophie Jacques, Ohio State (Primary Assist on GWG; 4 Blocked Shots)

#2 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State (GWG; Key Part of the Stellar Defensive Effort)

#1 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State (Shutout The #1 Team in the Country With a 32 Save Performance)
            Pgb, even though you were not there, your Stars of the Game are spot on! Buckeye freshman netminder Andrea Braendli stopped all 32 shots she faced to shut out the #1 team in the country in what was really a great women's hockey game, at least if you are ok with defensive battles. Jincy Dunne scored a power play goal in the first period and the Buckeyes made it stand for the 1-0 win. Wisconsin out-shot Ohio State 32-20 in this game, but the Bucks were able to get one by Wisconsin netminder Kristen Campbell, who stopped 19 of the 20 shots she faced. That is basically it in this one. Not much in the box score. The penalty discrepancy can be attributed to the fact that Ohio State, being at home and having played games vs the Minnesota Whitecaps last weekend, came out flying in the first period and forced Wisconsin to take some penalties. The Bucks were fortunate to get a pp goal in the first period as things settled down after that and Wisconsin seemed to get their legs under them. I expect Wisconsin to come out with a lot of energy tomorrow to avoid a sweep and we will need to match that.

Comment

LOL...Muzzy has really resorted to the Dive Tactics? Should be fun to see what today brings. Hopefully the Bucs can have more core strength than a 10U.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                It's hard to come up with 3 stars in a game with only 1 goal. At least it is for me.
                Since your post was a prediction, you hadn't seen the game either. The lack of material is a rather significant constraint!

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                Pgb, even though you were not there, your Stars of the Game are spot on!
                If I really identified the right Constellation, I'm glad. I just took a Little Dip into the Scoresheet, hoping to get pointed in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  The first two should be easy; the goaltender and the goal scorer. After that, I'd go with the winning team's defender who was most instrumental in shutting down the opponent's offense. A great opportunity to give a non-scoring defender their due.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    You can hear crickets on the Wisconsin thread.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, January 12th
                      Wisconsin 5
                      Ohio State 2

Badgers Bounce Back; Salvage Split

Wisconsin opened strong, scoring in the opening minute. The Badgers dominated the second period, outshooting the Buckeyes 17-1. They finished decisively with two third period goals. In short, they proved that they are deserving of their #1 Ranking.

And yet, there were positives for the Ohio State. The Buckeyes stood their ground during the 2nd Period onslaught. The goal count was actually one apiece, thanks to the Buckeye Power Play. More importantly, on Friday OSU proved they could beat any team in the country on any given day. But Saturday belonged to the Badgers.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Wisconsin Honorable Mention: Alexis Mauermann
                      The Badger Backcheck is Brilliant. Rarely do they give up odd man rushes. They're quick to get into position, and immediately hardworking upon arrival. It's clearly a well-coached, full team effort. As such, it's really insufficient to credit just one player. But Alexis had the most ice shavings on her uniform.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Rebecca Freiburger
                      The Badgers made it tough for individual Buckeyes to shine on Saturday. But Freiburger's strong effort was a bright spot. She was the only Buckeye with a winning record in the face-off circle. Despite the loss, her +/- was even on the day. A fine day's work.

#3 Star: Sophie Jaques, Ohio State
                      Sophie got both #3 Stars this weekend. Friday by inference, Saturday by observation. For the Buckeyes, the Saturday highlight was the Power Play goal. Jincy Dunne and Liz Schepers smartly worked the puck back and forth, then found an open Jaques cross-ice. Sophie took a stride toward the net, then ripped the puck through Badger keeper, appearing to beat her through the five hole.

#2 Star: Annie Pankowski, Wisconsin
                      The Badgers' Top Six Forwards are all Stars. But the prettiest play of the day to goes to Annie. Her slick tip off a Mikaela Gardner slap shot was a thing of beauty.

#1 Star: Britta Curl, Wisconsin
                      Britta scored in the clutch. The Badgers opening minute blitz came to a crescendo when Curl slammed the puck home. The in the third period, her solo dash-and-shot essentially ended any realistic hopes for a Buckeye comeback.

And yet, even here we must acknowledge the Wisconsin team effort. Natalie Buchbinder, Abby Roque & Sophie Shirley all won puck battles to spring Britta on their fourth goal. Kudos to that darn Badger Backcheck.

Up Next: Road Trip To Duluth For Two Key Games With The Bulldogs.
                      Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-13-2019, 06:38 PM. Reason: Error Correction

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

They finished decisively, closing out the game with Sophie Shaver's all-too-prompt empty-netter. In short, they proved that they are deserving of their #1 Ranking.

SOPHIA Shaver's goal came at 11:02 of the third period. Not only was it not an 'empty-netter', it wasn't even a power play goal. (It was during a 'delayed penalty' period of time, but it came so quickly after the ref's hand went up that you couldn't even call it an 'extra attacker' goal.)

I was going to jokingly 'nominate' the refs Ludwig and Bauer (?) for your 'three stars' after Friday's game, and the same might be said for yesterday. They had a very 'active' weekend, and their efforts had a big effect on both games. Not saying they were 'bad', though I'm sure each team had calls and non-calls go against them that they would object to. But they were definitely a factor in both games.

Edit, adding a PS, regarding Pankowski's tip: Not as much this year (because of her 'captain' duties?), but in the past, Pankowski has always been the last person off the ice in pre-game warm-ups, and the last thing she and one teammate or another do is the other player throws a puck towards the net while Pankowski tries to get a re-direct into the net. It may take two or three tries - but just as often she gets it on the first try - but it is something she practices before every game
                        Last edited by robertearle; 01-13-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

A few remarks / questions on the Buckeyes' split with the Badgers:

1) Thanks to the OSU posters for keeping us non-locals appraised of the games in Columbus!

2) I saw OSU play at Minnesota back in October with a similar outcome (OSU wins one game by a goal, and loses the other by 3). I thought the Gophers had the upper hand in play that weekend in both games, but OSU made some timely plays in the game they won. Was it a similar feel in Columbus this weekend? Did the Badgers appear to be the better team both days, or did OSU just run out of gas on Saturday?

3) Don't look now, but Ohio State moved up to #4 in the Pairwise after their showing this weekend. If the Buckeyes can win the games they should win (starting with a tough Duluth team next weekend), and being competitive in the games against the Gophers and Badgers, you could be looking at a home NCAA game in the OSU Ice Rink (which is a full size NHL rink despite what Mark Johnson says) come March.
                          Last edited by ChickHicks86; 01-13-2019, 06:44 PM.
                          2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                            SOPHIA Shaver's goal came at 11:02 of the third period. Not only was it not an 'empty-netter', it wasn't even a power play goal. (It was during a 'delayed penalty' period of time, but it came so quickly after the ref's hand went up that you couldn't even call it an 'extra attacker' goal.)
                            Sorry about the brain cramp on #12's goal. The offending phrase has been deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by ChickHicks86 View Post
                              To follow up on robertearle's remarks, I too would suggest double checking the spelling of the players mentioned in the 3 stars, including those on the home team.
                              Sometimes "i before e, except after c" doesn't work. The spelling of Freiburger has been corrected.

I saw OSU play at Minnesota back in October with a similar outcome (OSU wins one game by a goal, and loses the other by 3). I thought the Gophers had the upper hand in play that weekend in both games, but OSU made some timely plays in the game they won. Was it a similar feel in Columbus this weekend? Did the Badgers appear to be the better team both days, or did OSU just run out of gas on Saturday?
                              OK, I've just been tried & convicted of three separate offenses, so I don't have much standing to complain. But methinks you're guilty of skipping some of the assigned reading. Specifically, Post #250.

Don't look now, but Ohio State moved up to #4 in the Pairwise after their showing this weekend. If the Buckeyes can win the games they should win (starting with a tough Duluth team next weekend), and being competitive in the games against the Gophers and Badgers, you could be looking at a home NCAA game in the OSU Ice Rink (which is a full size NHL rink despite what Mark Johnson says) come March.
                              Yeah, I've been taking note of the ups and downs in the Pairwise with more than a little interest. An NCAA home game would be awesome, and certainly should be near the top of the Buckeye wish list. But the resident Pairwise people will have to let us know if that's a reasonable wish.

As for the Ice Rink's dimensions, I've been told a number of conflicting things by people with reason to have good info. I no longer know what to believe.

The Background: Pre-renovations -- meaning pre-Women's D-1 -- we were told the rink dimensions were essentially the same as the old Boston Garden & Chicago Stadium. As someone who has played recreational hockey countless times at the Ice Rink, I never had any reason to doubt that it was 10-15 feet short, and a few feet narrow as well. Next, I can tell you with certainty is that when ice sheet was renovated, it was lengthened & widened considerably. Most of the seating in the South End bleachers was sacrificed; a row or two was lost in the West Side stands as well. At that time -- 20 years ago -- we were told the dimensions had been updated to the full 200x85. Until recently, I didn't doubt that either.

I dunno; maybe the renovations fell a few inches or a foot short. Maybe the corners are tight. Or, maybe Labahn is a little wider than regulation, and MJ is just saying the Ice Rink is a little smaller than what they're used to at Labahn.

Come to think of it, maybe Coach Muzz needs to get out there with a tape measure & and a film crew to settle the "controversy" once and for all.

Comment

I am late on here because I had to hustle out of there yesterday, then drive down to Athens (in the snow) to do Christmas with Mrs 86's family. This was the first weekend we could all be in the same place. Yeah, I know, crazy. It was definitely a white-knuckler. Reminded me of our trip to Mercyhurst last December in that snow. Needless to say, I was glad to get to my destination last night without ending up in a ditch. Then again, being a lifelong Ohioan, I know how to drive in that stuff. Enough about that.

Wisconsin looked sharp yesterday, definitely looked like the #1 team in the country. The Badgers got the lead and never relinquished it. Wisconsin is not a team you want to chase the game against. Wisconsin scored in every period and dominated the shots on goal by a count of 45-14, including a suffocating second period where they out-shot Ohio State 17-1. The only good thing about that was the one shot Ohio State got in that period was a power play goal by Sophie Jaques, which got the Buckeyes within a goal. Give Wisconsin a lot of credit for absolutely smothering Ohio State and not allowing our Bucks to get much going at all yesterday. It's a credit to the talent and coaching we have in our program now that we were able to still be in the game into the third period yesterday.

The Badgers opened the scoring and it didn't take a full minute as Britta Curl got Wisconsin on the board at the :52 mark. Later in the period, Ohio State's Emma Maltais tied the game at 1-1. Sophie Shirley scored a power play goal late in the period to give Wisconsin a 2-1 lead and that is how the first period ended. The teams traded power play goals in the second period. Annie Pankowski scored for the Badgers to put them up 3-1, then the Buckeyes' Sophie Jaques scored right before the end of the period to bring Ohio State to within 3-2. Wisconsin put the game away in the third period with a couple more goals. Britta Curl scored her second goal of the game and Sophia Shaver scored Wisconsin's final goal in the 5-2 win. Wisconsin's Kristen Campbell stopped 12 of the 14 shots she faced. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopped 40 of the 45 shots she faced.

The Buckeyes will go on the road to face Minnesota-Duluth next weekend. Some have mentioned Ohio State being in 4th in the PairWise and I would love to not have to travel for the first round of the NCAA Tournament. What Ohio State needs to do to stay there is get another win or two vs Wisconsin or Minnesota, and do not lose to teams we are supposed to beat. Ohio State is in a good spot now because they are high enough that they likely will not get knocked out by potential postseason upsets, but they need to keep winning if they want to stay there.

The Badgers will travel to Minneapolis to take on the Gophers in a battle of #1 vs #2. Thinking that will be a tough ticket to get, and should be a couple of great games!

Comment

Working...
                                X