Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Ohio State Hockey! Return to the Show in Buffalo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-2019 Ohio State Hockey! Return to the Show in Buffalo!

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Not to get stuck on this topic but I would say at SOME point OSU will have to keep up with the Joneses and be a host institution so what DO you do at that point?
    It may be premature to inquire with the powers that be at OSU about this but I get the impression after this season concludes the wheels may be in motion for a number of things relating to our program and this may be one of the things on the table for discussion.
    Alaska-Anchorage hosted a FF in Anaheim, CA. Wisconsin hosted a FF in Tampa, FL. That constitutes doing a school's share of the hosting, but in no way addresses your concern -- better access for fans in the CCHA States.

I would add that if a second B1G school was at Toledo with us such as ND, Michigan or Michigan State all are within easy driving distance for their fan base and would fill it nicely.
    However this is pure speculation on a best case scenario as we have no idea if we ever host who will be there, including ourselves.
    Exactly. You have to bid on the event years before you have any idea who the participating teams will be.

Note also the rule against intra-conference match-ups in the first round. Which is a very good rule IMHO. So if we're looking at ND, UM, MSU & OSU as the schools that are "local enough," the best case scenario is two of those four schools. For me, that best case scenario is the only one that has a reasonable chance of succeeding in a neutral city. So do we really want to bid on a tournament when the situation is best case scenario or bust? Maybe I'm getting conservative in my old age, but my answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      So do we really want to bid on a tournament when the situation is best case scenario or bust? Maybe I'm getting conservative in my old age, but my answer is no.
      Now I haven't fact checked this but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ohio State is the only school in our conference who has NOT hosted a regional which includes obviously pre-B1G hockey conference.
      If you want to be a hockey school you eventually have to pony up to the bar and do what everyone else in the conference has done at one point or another.
      And we did host a Frozen Four on campus but it was a failure in the respect that there were NO SUPPORTING AMENITIES within an easy walk and the fans were very unhappy in that respect.
      Ohio State would do very well however if they could host a FF at Nationwide as it has EVERYTHING within walking distance. They should really try hard for that at least.
      Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-15-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        We're doing much better now. Success brings change.
        Coach Rohlik was talking in the USCHO story this week about how we're getting 9, 10, & 11,000 at games now and the energy it brings and I'll bet you HE doesn't believe we need a rink below that in size!
        Commencing to beat the dead horse. I think 6-7 thousand is the right size. I've been following the program since the Pooley Brothers, so I don't make any assumptions that the good times won't end (after all, we're not Miami fans). 7K is still a great environment if we hit the skids and average attendance drops intonthe 4k range. Plus, I like the idea of it being a hot ticket. Push people into buying season tickets because they can't count on empty seats. Standing room only in a 7K barn would absolutely be a rocking environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
          . I've been following the program since the Pooley Brothers
          Got you beat - 1963, First season!
          I've got age, beauty AND experience

Comment

Just looked on Ticketmaster on saw only GA available for tomorrow night

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
              Commencing to beat the dead horse. I think 6-7 thousand is the right size. I've been following the program since the Pooley Brothers, so I don't make any assumptions that the good times won't end (after all, we're not Miami fans). 7K is still a great environment if we hit the skids and average attendance drops intonthe 4k range. Plus, I like the idea of it being a hot ticket. Push people into buying season tickets because they can't count on empty seats. Standing room only in a 7K barn would absolutely be a rocking environment.
              I agree with you 6-7K sets arena is big enough not any bigger

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Got you beat - 1963, First season!
                I've got age, beauty AND experience
                Well 2 of 3 isnt bad lol

Comment

Slow and sloppy is it in a nutshell for our performance.
                  Good news is BOTH Notre Dame & Penn State lost tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                    Well 2 of 3 isnt bad lol
                    When it comes to the beauty aspect all I can say is thank God for Photoshop! LOL!

Comment

Now I haven't fact checked this but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ohio State is the only school in our conference who has NOT hosted a regional which includes obviously pre-B1G hockey conference.
                      If you want to be a hockey school you eventually have to pony up to the bar and do what everyone else in the conference has done at one point or another.
                      Keep in mind that regionals at Yost, Munn & Mariucci would not permitted under current rules, and therefore aren't relevant to the topic of future sites. Unless the rules change, of course.

And we did host a Frozen Four on campus but it was a failure in the respect that there were NO SUPPORTING AMENITIES within an easy walk and the fans were very unhappy in that respect.
                      True, but only part of the story. The All WCHA FF was a great credit to that league, but it was a problem for the tournament. Eastern fans cancelled their trips en masse, apparently on the grounds that there was no one to root for. That destroyed the value of the tickets on the secondary market, leaving many of the people who did come in an ornery mood.

Ohio State would do very well however if they could host a FF at Nationwide as it has EVERYTHING within walking distance. They should really try hard for that at least.
                      On this we agree! It would be a great set-up. I wouldn't hold your breath, though. Since the 2020 & 2021 Frozen Fours are so close by, I expect that it will be a period of years before our region gets serious consideration again. But in the medium term, it should happen.
                      Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-15-2019, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Slow and sloppy is it in a nutshell for our performance.
                        Good news is BOTH Notre Dame & Penn State lost tonight!
                        Yup. The coronation will have to wait at least one more day. Sigh.

Give the Gophers credit for playing a good road game, though. They got opportunistic scoring, while seriously slowing down the Buckeyes in the neutral zone. Not the Gophers usual method of operation, but it worked for them tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          Yup. The coronation will have to wait at least one more day. Sigh.
                          Well it may have worked for the best.
                          With the early start time the other games were still going on when ours ended so we wouldn't know to celebrate or not if we had won.
                          With a win tomorrow the confetti will be dropping from the ceiling for certain!

Comment

Well it may have worked for the best.
                            With the early start time the other games were still going on when ours ended so we wouldn't know to celebrate or not if we had won.
                            With a win tomorrow the confetti will be dropping from the ceiling for certain!
                            The other results came in to the good so they can still clinch on home ice tomorrow night with a win. Give minnesota credit they had a good game plan and stuck to it all night long. Ohio state never figured it out until the 3rd period and every time they got within a goal they took a dumb penalty or turned over the puck that led to a goal. I thought the penalty on Dakota was a joke he lifted the guys stick and did not touch his hands until the gopher moved his stick.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                              I thought the penalty on Dakota was a joke he lifted the guys stick and did not touch his hands until the gopher moved his stick.
                              I couldn't believe Kearney tried to take a pointless shot at a guy and then launched off the ice into him! He usually knows better, especially near the end of a game when a stupid penalty will make it impossible to win.

Comment

Here's the good news!
                                With the title and first round bye we would have home ice actually at the Schott for all our games the entire B1G Tournament!
                                We would play at the Schott the Sunday after the first round. If we win we host the title game the next Sunday at the Schott.

Comment

Working...
                                X