Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Ohio State Hockey! Return to the Show in Buffalo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-2019 Ohio State Hockey! Return to the Show in Buffalo!

Well, at least the sun came up this morning.

Shame about the opportunity lost. But on the bright side, it won't be difficult regaining focus, given next weekend's opponent.

As for last night, the Gophers didn't get all that many chances. But Gopher sharp-shooters certainly took advantage of the opportunities they were given. Good for them. And while Goalie Robson's talent is certainly no secret, he more than lived up to his reputation.

Obviously the young but talented Gophers are improving as the regular season nears completion. For better or worse, it seems likely that these teams will meet again in the B1G Playoffs. The Buckeyes have been put on notice: There's no room for slow starts or slip-ups. Only our 'A' Game will get the job done.

Comment

• So ND, tsun and PSU all stay alive for another weekend. Disappointing, but if this weekend doesn't refocus and light a fire under this team, I don't know what can.

Comment

I thought we played better in some aspects last night compared to Friday.
        We didn't seem as slow on the ice and we were taking control of the neutral zone and stayed on offense much more which the comparison of shots on goal showed.
        We had a number of opportunities down at the crease but just couldn't get it past their goalie. If the clock has just one more second on it Miller would have had the tying goal.
        We all know those first two gimmie goals for Minnesota were the death blow. I think we were too hungry to strike first and fast as our D men were in too deep allowing the 2 Gophers to blow right past them for the 2 on 0 first goal. Oh well, lessons learned I hope. Sometimes a long win streak can make you feel more invincible than you are so hopefully this stings and gives them focus and determination and that everything MUST be earned!
        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 02-17-2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          There's 2 up there to forget about!
          Oh yeah, forgot about Bemidji State.

Had a great time at the game last night, BTW. The outcome was a bonus, but either way it would have been worth the drive. Good atmosphere and fans. Have to say Gophers got a bit lucky (probably a lot lucky).

On the charge, I think they can only review for a 5 (I'm not totally sure though). Watched the replay on TV when I got home...could have been enough for a 2, but not a major. The call on Nanne at the 17:30 mark was weak. Makeup call?

Comment

I thought we played better in some aspects last night compared to Friday.
            We didn't seem as slow on the ice and we were taking control of the neutral zone and stayed on offense much more which the comparison of shots on goal showed.
            Also, they figured out if you pressure MN in their own zone, they will turn it over a lot. Cant handle the forecheck very well. They wait too long to decide what they want to do with the puck and reverse direction too much. The gophers D lost control of the play behind their own net many times. Robson bailed them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunninwiththerods View Post

Had a great time at the game last night, BTW. The outcome was a bonus, but either way it would have been worth the drive. Good atmosphere and fans. Have to say Gophers got a bit lucky (probably a lot lucky).

On the charge, I think they can only review for a 5 (I'm not totally sure though). Watched the replay on TV when I got home...could have been enough for a 2, but not a major. The call on Nanne at the 17:30 mark was weak. Makeup call?
              From my view I couldn't see his actual impact with the wall but given how long he was down made an assumption that if it was called it could be a 5 min. They would probably also have to call Sasha for retaliating as well.
              Though it pains me to say, congrats on the sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunninwiththerods View Post

You are correct if they go to review they can only call a 5 minute penalty. As for the one called and one not called i wouldnt have called either one. The hit that was reviewed was pretty clean to me and the one on Nanne was pretty bogus as Hein was already falling when nanne made contact with him.

Comment

Doesn't matter what part of the body is checked, it's the results of the check that's judged. If contact is made that it propels you into the boards like that it's a penalty.

"42.1 Boarding - A player shall not body check, cross-check, elbow, charge or
                  trip an opponent from the front or side in such a manner that causes the
                  opponent to be thrown violently into the boards"

Straight from the NCAA rulebook.
                  So from that rule any hard hit can be called a penalty clean or not. That is a bogus rule.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                    So from that rule any hard hit can be called a penalty clean or not. That is a bogus rule.
                    Well I didn't write it. They don't call it unless it involved the head or neck with a possible injury. I didn't stay up late looking through everything in the rulebook for extra definition.

Comment

Well I didn't write it. They don't call it unless it involved the head or neck with a possible injury. I didn't stay up late looking through everything in the rulebook for extra definition.
                      I didnt say you did write it but that rule is dumb because you are giving the ref an easy out on any big hit.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        I didnt say you did write it but that rule is dumb because you are giving the ref an easy out on any big hit.
                        I know you weren't implying that. It's like when someone complains about their car's problems to me and I say well I didn't build it, break it or tell you to buy it! LOL!

Comment

I know you weren't implying that. It's like when someone complains about their car's problems to me and I say well I didn't build it, break it or tell you to buy it! LOL!
                          Jsut hope they can shake this sweep and get that title this week.

Comment

Better the winning streak ends now than in playoffs but dang! 7th in Pairwise now, they really dinged us!

Comment

Good series. Neither game was a given.

This may sound condescending, but it really isn't meant that way.

To understand the rules of hockey you have to go back to the origins of the game.

over 150 years ago, there were two safety rules, no slashing with the stick and no stick able the shoulders.

Open ice, no boards. Maybe some snow piled up in a circle where they shoveled off the ice. A couple of sticks to mark goals opposite each other. A pure simple game.

Banks of snow evolved into the lumber that was available, maybe a foot high to replace the banks of snow.

Boards didn't enter the rules until the 30's. along with ice dimensions.

What is checking today, was considered charging.

You could jostle, push, bump, etc, to fight for the puck, but you did so either standing or moving together with whomever you were competing with.

NO impact, That was charging.

You could could check from behind, but not charge from behind.

You could check the goalie, but you couldn't charge him. This is prior to the adoption of the crease.

Its the reason running into the goalie will get you a charging call.

Eventually the checking rules softened a bit and skating into somebody was allowed.

Anyway, when actual boards came into play, it was illegal to check AT ALL within five feet of the boards. THAT was boarding.

At that point in time, it was illegal to check AT ALL within five feet of the boards.

eventually it became okay to check ALONG the boards, but not into.

As the game matured, the refs were given FULL authority to decide the aggression, malice, retaliation, etc, as far as the boards were concerned.

That is the reason for the ambiguity of the rule.

When player safety became a bigger issue, checking from behind was implemented.

Twenty five years ago it became a hot button issue due to spinal injuries and is now treats accordingly.

Sorry to be so long, but it's a part of understanding the game that has been lost on an entire generation.

See ya in the playoffs!
                              "We all got it comin', kid." -William Munny

Comment

Thanks Gopho. And of course it's completely up to the ref's discretion on how any rule is applied or interpreted.
                                There's not a game played without the fans thinking woulda coulda shoulda on calls. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X