No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Great Win !!! You are correct in that you want to score first against Cornell. You are the Giant Killers !!!
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

A BIG BIG GREEN win vs the little red! This was a great win for many reasons: Cornell is good, came from behind, scored within a couple minutes after both Cornell goals, and protected and held on to the lead. Cornell was the better team in the first and third with BG winning the second period. Yes, they were without their stud goalie (and a couple of D men) but even he could not have done anything on the first two and maybe the third on Strong's forehand, backhand, and five hole dribbler partial breakaway and winning goal. Additionally, BG did not let adversity tear them down as two calls went against them leading one goal getting overturned (right call on replay) and one going against a high stick that BG couldn't challenge like Cornell did and won because they used up their time out. By the way, that timeout used earlier to get BG some rest after sustained attack by Cornell late in the second was the right move, leading by one heading into the third. That goal that was reversed was a thing of beauty as Jasiek air mails the puck diagonally through the neutral zone with Rutherford batting down at waist level and controlling it, all the while Yau is jousting with a Cornell defender on a center lane drive. Rutherford gets the puck to Yau who one touches to late trailing Baker who finishes a nice backend, all for nought. But what a GOAL! Then the other is where Cornell wins their O zone draw back to the point and players going to the net, shot was tipped in with a high stick but BG couldn't challenge to overturn due to having used a timeout.

The GOOD:
      For the team, is stated above
      Clark was the best player on the ice last night and that's saying a lot
      Demler was good in d zone

The Need to IMPROVE:

PP starting with entries, then pucks on net
      Winning more board/puck battles in D zone

Yes, it's absolutely OK to be riding sky-high into tonight's tilt with Colgate but let's not get "trapped". Gooooo GREEN!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
        A BIG BIG GREEN win vs the little red! This was a great win for many reasons: Cornell is good, came from behind, scored within a couple minutes after both Cornell goals, and protected and held on to the lead. Cornell was the better team in the first and third with BG winning the second period. Yes, they were without their stud goalie (and a couple of D men) but even he could not have done anything on the first two and maybe the third on Strong's forehand, backhand, and five hole dribbler partial breakaway and winning goal. Additionally, BG did not let adversity tear them down as two calls went against them leading one goal getting overturned (right call on replay) and one going against a high stick that BG couldn't challenge like Cornell did and won because they used up their time out. By the way, that timeout used earlier to get BG some rest after sustained attack by Cornell late in the second was the right move, leading by one heading into the third. That goal that was reversed was a thing of beauty as Jasiek air mails the puck diagonally through the neutral zone with Rutherford batting down at waist level and controlling it, all the while Yau is jousting with a Cornell defender on a center lane drive. Rutherford gets the puck to Yau who one touches to late trailing Baker who finishes a nice backend, all for nought. But what a GOAL! Then the other is where Cornell wins their O zone draw back to the point and players going to the net, shot was tipped in with a high stick but BG couldn't challenge to overturn due to having used a timeout.

The GOOD:
        For the team, is stated above
        Clark was the best player on the ice last night and that's saying a lot
        Demler was good in d zone

The Need to IMPROVE:

PP starting with entries, then pucks on net
        Winning more board/puck battles in D zone

Yes, it's absolutely OK to be riding sky-high into tonight's tilt with Colgate but let's not get "trapped". Gooooo GREEN!

Clark was outstanding!!!!! Goal by Strong was a beauty. Negatives bad on face offs
        They are ruining the game with incessant time outs and reviews

Comment

Am sure a come-from-behind tie felt like a win for my beloved Colgate.
          Was happy to see friend Cam Strong get a goal each night for Dartmouth, just glad it wasn’t a GWG for the second straight (last) night.
          Continued good luck to Dartmouth this season and Go ‘Gate.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
            Am sure a come-from-behind tie felt like a win for my beloved Colgate.
            Was happy to see friend Cam Strong get a goal each night for Dartmouth, just glad it wasn’t a GWG for the second straight (last) night.
            Continued good luck to Dartmouth this season and Go ‘Gate.
            Iowa, you are one good man and devoted college hockey guy...cheers to you! Yes, Cam has been coming on and fulfilling that 4th line role and even adding a scoring punch! I am sure we will see each other down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by eddieshack23 View Post
              Clark was outstanding!!!!! Goal by Strong was a beauty. Negatives bad on face offs
              They are ruining the game with incessant time outs and reviews
              Hey Shack, great to hear from you. You are bang-on regarding winning face-offs. Regarding the replays yes it does take too much time out out of the play. While I understand of getting the calls correct, the possibilities of getting a review are too vast. And based on the Cornell, it would have been a split for the BG with both goals getting overturned.

Comment

It absolutely breaks my heart to say this but....the BG are a good but NOT a very good team right now. Now why do I say that; they have not shown that consistency in outcomes/results needed to be a very good team. Thus far, BG has shown to play well on Friday's and and not so well on Saturday. Look I get it as it's a grind for back to back night's but it is for both teams and this is mostly playing home games thus far. Maybe being away helps?

BG dominated this game for most of the night except a good part of the 3rd period after Colgate ties it up early in the 3rd which seemed to get them some momentum and energy. The previous the BG were able to negate that and bounce back with a goal withing a couple minutes of giving up one.
                Colgate made the most of their chances whereas BG squandered theirs. Their second and game-tying goal was a killer as Bg had guys back. Markell does the shade mostly to the guy on the boards instead of puck carrier and he and Strong did their best version of OLE' and the Colgate guy splits them with a beautiful top shelf finish. Markell gave up inside position and got neither puck or man. On the first goal, I believe Clark just got beat far post, maybe distracted by some jostling just to the right of him. 9 out of 10 times he makes that save.

Good:

Baker, Rutherford, and Jasiek seem to be heating up which is direly needed as they have the skills to do so
                Although not really challenged Roth had his best game and Han looked good as well
                Strong continues to make make the most of his opportunities

Need to Improve:

PP is just terrible right now, lifeless and not dangerous at all with no shots; going to huge as the season progresses
                O'Connor and Losurdo have slowed down a bit; O'Connor needs to let the puck do the work especially in the O zone; his individual play and turnovers will leave the other 4 skaters hanging out to dry and bite the BG
                Tree Line is struggling now as that are nowhere near as dangerous as they once were; good O zone time (cycle) but nothing dangerous

I'll take the 3 point weekend but based on beating the little red, it should have been a 4 point weekend! Go BG!

Comment

Got to see Joey Musa play yesterday. Listed at 5’9”....160, that’s about right. He can skate, very quick hands & very skilled you can see that. He didn’t score, unless he had the 2nd assist on their lone goal (1-1 tie w/Albany Academy). Got 7 games in Nov. with Omaha of the USHL (scoreless). He’s not ready, IMO, for D1 next year. BTW, I see LeSeaur hasn’t played yet. Is he injured or a healthy scratch?
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    Got to see Joey Musa play yesterday. Listed at 5’9”....160, that’s about right. He can skate, very quick hands & very skilled you can see that. He didn’t score, unless he had the 2nd assist on their lone goal (1-1 tie w/Albany Academy). Got 7 games in Nov. with Omaha of the USHL (scoreless). He’s not ready, IMO, for D1 next year. BTW, I see LeSeaur hasn’t played yet. Is he injured or a healthy scratch?
                    Great to hear from you Turk! BG currently has someone like that in Rutherford so not sure when Musa is going to come in because BG is very deep.

Obviously, not having inside knowledge but I believe LeSeur has been a healthy scratch which stinks. Out of the freshmen class, three have been in the line up from the get go and contributing, F's O'Connor and Losurdo and D Markell. I believe F Sam Hesler and G Justin Ferguson has gotten in game each. It will be very tough this year for those freshmen that aren't already playing regularly as BG is deep, not the most talented but good enough.

Comment

In state rivals squares off in a home and home series weekend! Again with the BG, these games have been pretty tight to my recollection. Let's make this a 4-point weekend by doing the little things that adds up to a BIG W. PP has to convert one as they have been only scoring at ES lately and that starts and ends with good entries followed by good net presence and pucks to the net. Also let's get the Tree Line back into shape and even maybe some supplemental goals by some D men. Let's gooooo BIG GREEN!

Comment

With all due respect to UNH as they have many loyal posters here, this was flat out a bad loss by the BG; unfortunately there isn't any other way to sugar coat it which I never do anyway. BG fell behind early and didn't right the ship until the 2nd period. If and a big IF BG plays 60 minutes they win this game. On the first GA against, Warpecha turns it over with clear possession and options (outs), second was kind puck bounces for UNH coupled with their player wanting the puck more (terrible goal given up by Clark), and final goal started with losing a board battle close to the blue line then a harmless shot that Michalowski tries to glove it or blocks it, then the puck lays harmlessly for the open UNH to bang it in inside the circle. I really cannot say that anyone really stood out for BG although when Ernsting was in, things happened. All in all, UNH cashed in on their limited opportunities while BG did not.

The GOOD:

24 turn around time for REDEMPTION

The BAD:

PP was awful. I am starting to think it might be the scheme coupled with personnel. Just cannot rely on EV goals all the time as any + goals of the PP/PK would immensely help the BG out. Let't get back to the overload on the left wall with Graber there. As noted long time ago, his length, decision making, passing and shooting ability are a huge asset there. Put Forman down blow the goal line for a right stuff or a pass out to Sellar in the slot. Then have O'Connor and his nice shot on the right half wall, and all this with Yau QBing the PP (you need at least one D just in case of counters)
                        No energy coupled losing board/puck battles
                        Graber needs to find his game back

Motto for tonight "pay back is a *****"!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                          With all due respect to UNH as they have many loyal posters here, this was flat out a bad loss by the BG; unfortunately there isn't any other way to sugar coat it which I never do anyway. BG fell behind early and didn't right the ship until the 2nd period. If and a big IF BG plays 60 minutes they win this game. On the first GA against, Warpecha turns it over with clear possession and options (outs), second was kind puck bounces for UNH coupled with their player wanting the puck more (terrible goal given up by Clark), and final goal started with losing a board battle close to the blue line then a harmless shot that Michalowski tries to glove it or blocks it, then the puck lays harmlessly for the open UNH to bang it in inside the circle. I really cannot say that anyone really stood out for BG although when Ernsting was in, things happened. All in all, UNH cashed in on their limited opportunities while BG did not.

The GOOD:

24 turn around time for REDEMPTION

The BAD:

PP was awful. I am starting to think it might be the scheme coupled with personnel. Just cannot rely on EV goals all the time as any + goals of the PP/PK would immensely help the BG out. Let't get back to the overload on the left wall with Graber there. As noted long time ago, his length, decision making, passing and shooting ability are a huge asset there. Put Forman down blow the goal line for a right stuff or a pass out to Sellar in the slot. Then have O'Connor and his nice shot on the right half wall, and all this with Yau QBing the PP (you need at least one D just in case of counters)
                          No energy coupled losing board/puck battles
                          Graber needs to find his game back

Motto for tonight "pay back is a *****"!
                          I think any UNH fan who has a clue would agree with you...that we let a 2 goal lead slip away (you know...the 'dreaded 2 goal lead') but at least we took advantage of a situation that worked out for us (for a change I might add) and was able to hang on to the end...something we haven't been able to do on a few occasions (see our OT's and ties) so that in itself was positive. BG had us hemmed in continuously and excellent goal tending by Freshman Ty Taylor made the difference. UNH has to manage the puck better, get more offensive opps that's all there is to it. Penalties were an issue for UNH as well and we are thankful your PP is / was as you describe....nothing personal totally get it. UNH has hung in with their injuries and maybe they can do it (again) tonight! Playing a full 60 has been elusive for us and they will need to do that tonight.... I won't be there unfortunately so hopefully we can handle your revenge...
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-08-2018, 10:12 AM.
                          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

24 turn around time for REDEMPTION! That was the quote from the previous night's loss to UNH. Well, that turned out to be a farce as the BG gets "broomed" by UNH at the home and home in-state series weekend. There is no other way to label these two losses;these are strong words but maybe something they can rally behind...downright embarrassment. I am sure the staff and players will tell you the same thing. The BG needs a break in the worst way to re-group and get away from it all and re-charge. But before they do that, BG plays their last game before Ledyard at BU. So let's go out on break on a positive.

I will not go into specifics of the game as it was much as the same as the night before though much more magnified. In short, BG were out hustled, battled, and efforted and that is not good as those traits are controllable. And of course, they were out-goaltended which is the primary reason for these losses. This could be an area of concern. Clark is the clear #1 but he has to find that consistency to make that timely save and maybe steal a game, last in Hanover two nights ago.

Let's put this in the rear-view mirror and forge forward, needing everyone from top on down to re-group and re-charge for BU. BG, let's meet this adversity head on with very correctable solutions and it starts between the ears and the left side of their chest!!!

Comment

I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone right now that a sweep at the hands of UNH is a disappointment - but I don't think Dartmouth was all that bad.

A fortunate third period bounce turned what could have been a well-earned Big Green tie (after a tough start) into a an opportunistic UNH win on Cippolone's goal. A few hit posts in the third for DC really change the narrative...

Last night UNH won the game early against Ferguson. He struggled. He's young and talented, but when you feel obligated to try to get him minutes it's going to come with some bumps in the road. I thought it was a curious decision to start him, and UNH made them pay - but you're also talking about a banged up F group that has struggled to score even at full strength with UNH, so...

Still the first five minutes, coupled with some big Robinson saves was entirely the difference in an otherwise pretty even game.

Obviously you guys have beaten some really good opponents this season - so if you can find some consistency you should be alright.
                              Last edited by Dan; 12-09-2018, 12:28 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

I worry about the outlook for Ferguson. I was at the U-18 game and the Princeton shellacking. Whatever his skill level is - any more of this won't help his mental state.

Comment

Working...
                                X