No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

We've mentioned Graber struggling here, but how about Matt Baker? For all that chemistry on that line, we need him to start scoring, too. He was an invite to a pro camp this summer. But 5 points this year and 1 goal in the last 2 months is simply not good enough from him.

Not to pick on him, as it's not like Baker is doing nothing--he is gritty and I like his style of play. But he has shown flashed of being a dynamic finisher, and right now, Jasiek is carrying the vast majority of the scoring weight for that line.. I'm hoping Baker and Rutherford as well find themselves on the scoresheet more often in the next 5 weeks (and beyond). That'd be huge, especially with the Timber Line struggling.

Imagine if they both break out of their funks at the same time......
    Last edited by GreenBear; 01-30-2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
      We've mentioned Graber struggling here, but how about Matt Baker? For all that chemistry on that line, we need him to start scoring, too. He was an invite to a pro camp this summer. But 5 points this year and 1 goal in the last 2 months is simply not good enough from him.

Not to pick on him, as it's not like Baker is doing nothing--he is gritty and I like his style of play. But he has shown flashed of being a dynamic finisher, and right now, Jasiek is carrying the vast majority of the scoring weight for that line.. I'm hoping Baker and Rutherford as well find themselves on the scoresheet more often in the next 5 weeks (and beyond). That'd be huge, especially with the Timber Line struggling.

Imagine if they both break out of their funks at the same time......
      100% agreed! Not one player is exempt or gets immunity here. Flat out, Baker has under-performed. Matter of fact, one can be a case that Baker was better last year. In my mind, he is not a center as he doesn't read and recognize enough to make plays, especially on that line that you mentioned. Whereas Jasiek and Rutherford are the opposites, smallish skilled players that can make plays in O zone. However, like you also aptly stated, Baker is useful as he provides that sandpaper grit necessary to complement those other two guts. Baker is a north/south guy where everything is fast, faster,and fastest. At bare minimum, given his skill set, Baker should be getting those greasy goals in front to complement the perimeter of the other two. And yes, he needs to start producing if BG wants to go deep.

Comment

Not to put any added pressure but without a doubt, tonight's game at Harvard is by far the BG's biggest game of the year and many fronts and pretty self-explanatory! Quite simply, the 4-point outcome (unless they tie) will either put the BG near the top of the mix or at the bottom of the mix of the clutter.

Keys to the game:

Stay out of the box as Harvard always torches the BG kill with great Grade A looks even when they are not putting pucks in the net
        Stay out of the box as BG must be disciplined and not take that "lazy and stupid" penalty that drives coaches absolutely crazy
        Stay out of the box as Clark must outperform his counterpart

Finally, have fun playing 5 on 5! You have got this BG...let's GOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post

Finally, have fun playing 5 on 5! You have got this BG...let's GOOOOOOOOO!
          Big Green can stay 3 or under PPs allowed they win. If not. they don't. I think it comes down to that.

Comment

I thought you guys outplayed us for the most part last night. There's a strange stat regarding your team. When you outshoot the opposition, you've only won four times this year. And you outshot us by a wide margin.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              I thought you guys outplayed us for the most part last night. There's a strange stat regarding your team. When you outshoot the opposition, you've only won four times this year. And you outshot us by a wide margin.
              Yes weird stat for sure! It proves a couple of things. We do not have the finishers like you guys have ie ZG, Walsh, Fox, etc and a couple of mistakes are capitalized on for the winning margin.

Comment

BG loses to Harvard in a game which I believe they were the better team. They neutralized Fox at best they can especially on the PP and even an a full 2 minute 5 on 3. Matter of fact, the two best players on the ice were Yau and Lackey. Lackey outplays Clark for the W. In a tight battle, Jasiek's creates a TO by stepping up (nice job in not pummeling Harvard player) where Yau gets it at the blue line and moves to his right and puts a harmless fluttering wrister that finds the back of a lot of net. I would have to think that Lackey did not track this shot at all. BG outshoooting and outplaying Harvard in the first. Then Harvard comes out hard in the second and and capitalizes on a BG D zone mistake. Demler follows the puck up to the circle wide and only to leave ZG all alone. He backhand bats (nice hand to eye) the puck into the net. Clark gave up a juicy rebound here. Then remaining second becomes entertaining as Harvard kills off a 5 minute major while later in the period BG kills off a 2 minute 5 on 3 with two units. Walsh must have missed short side on all his bomb one-timers, but Yau and Graber had alot to to with that getting in the shooting lane. The third starts off with Clark not being able to control (catch) a rebound and Floodstrand wins the battle for the loose puck to tuck it home. Then Roth gets on the wrong side of his man and Donato shoots one five hole on Clark.

BG just find find that second goal as the are scoring-challenged; hence, more dependent of D and goalie. BG played well and deserved the W but until they learn to minimize their D zone mistakes there will remain the gap between Harvard and them. Travel partner nemesis for sure but the gap is getting tighter on the ice although the outcome hasn't really changed. Still and long way to go!

Comment

More Random Thoughts: Two Days After

Tree Line line looked better than it has been but still didn't get on the score sheet; played below goal line plenty but nothing dangerous
                  Hesler's line is a mess with Losurdo AWOL and O'Connor still figuring out college defenses although very talented; they should be better with C Hesler
                  Baker's line is good and will get better once Baker starts producing but love his tenacity and grit
                  Grind Line although matched up against top line is not good now as they have trouble getting out of their zone; hands are not good on that line

Have to infuse some new blood/energy something to get this offense going; start changing and mixing is in must order for these forwards
                  Why not bring in a S Hesler and/or LeSeur and you know what you get with Blankemeir; also Ernsting can spark the O if given opportunity
                  With Rutherford and Jasiek, they can be and should be more creative in O zone ie criss-crossing drop pass, far pad shot/pass, etc

Yau/Matthews are the best D pair offensively and one could argue defensively as well; they probably spend the least time in their D zone
                  Demler/Markell gets matched with top line and plays tons but leaks are starting to appear more with Demler with unforced D zone TO's such as leading to Harvard's second goal and also D zone coverage is getting iffy at times
                  Roth/Less's play is very uneven right now; which pair are you going to get on a given night? straighten those out and get Less back to where he was last year

Quite simply stated, need more offensive production out of D core; Yau/Matthews have the abilities/capabilities to do so
                  The other pairs can chip in while still playing solid D; Han (scratched lately) can spark from the back end

Clark has battled consistency issues and it seems like in big games; is it nerves? Again he has been very good but needs to be more consistent and I would love to see him "steal" a game vs a top notch opponent and maybe a "must win" game scenario

I think Ferguson/Shatzer should get a chance sometime here although beit very little chance

Thoughts GreenBear? Please chime in!

Comment

No way will we see Ferguson or Shatzer this season barring injury or blowout. And Sam Hesler is reportedly hurt, so that's likely the reason we haven't seen him.

I thought similarly to you. Dartmouth was equal to Clarkson and Harvard but they haven't been able to finish. The guys who are their scorers haven't been scoring.

If they get that sorted, that'll go a long way toward a decent playoff run. If they don't, I see another 2nd round exit, as I don't think Clark can compensate. He's solid, but not consistent enough and hasn't been "great" nearly enough this season.

So hopefully 10, 28, 14 and 26 especially begin to find the scoresheet more often. 18, 11 and 17 have done their part--the rest have to step up and make themselves seen on the scoresheet.

Comment

Looking ahead, Nick Unruh has committed to Dartmouth. Listed as a 6'2, 205 pound left defenseman who has good offensive numbers over 2 years in the BCHL--65 points and counting in 2 seasons. I don't get too ahead of myself with stats, but that's a very good league and it's encouraging that he's putting up points there as a Dman. Big Green could certainly use a puck-moving offensive threat on their blueline right now, but he's reportedly not coming until 2020 so he's a couple years away.

Comment

Looking ahead, Nick Unruh has committed to Dartmouth. Listed as a 6'2, 205 pound left defenseman who has good offensive numbers over 2 years in the BCHL--65 points and counting in 2 seasons. I don't get too ahead of myself with stats, but that's a very good league and it's encouraging that he's putting up points there as a Dman. Big Green could certainly use a puck-moving offensive threat on their blueline right now, but he's reportedly not coming until 2020 so he's a couple years away.
                        Unruh is a forward.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Unruh is a forward.
                          I've never seen him play, so if you have you're probably right. I just saw it on this site which had him listed as LD. https://collegehockeyinc.com/commitments.php

Too bad: Looks like a nice player regardless but I'd really love that offensive Dman we're missing for the Big GReen's PP. Haven't had one of those in a while.

EDIT: Team's media says forward so I'm inclined to believe them + Ralph and conclude that College Hockey Inc made a mistake.

Looks like he'll have a chance to keep his number if/when he's with the Big Green: Cam Strong graduates next season so #12 would seem to be open.

https://www.saobserver.net/sports/si...-week-mention/
                          Last edited by GreenBear; 02-07-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I've never seen him play, so if you have you're probably right. I just saw it on this site which had him listed as LD. https://collegehockeyinc.com/commitments.php

Too bad: Looks like a nice player regardless but I'd really love that offensive Dman we're missing for the Big GReen's PP. Haven't had one of those in a while.

EDIT: Team's media says forward so I'm inclined to believe them + Ralph and conclude that College Hockey Inc made a mistake.

Looks like he'll have a chance to keep his number if/when he's with the Big Green: Cam Strong graduates next season so #12 would seem to be open.

https://www.saobserver.net/sports/si...-week-mention/
                            And I got all excited! If he can play it doesn't make a difference if he's a F or D although D would have been sorely needed.

Comment

Its Game Day / Weekend! Well, the BG failed the test last week in their loss against Harvard although they did ply fairly well. However, at this juncture of the season, playing well and not getting the W, just isn't enough. So with that said, this weekend games are a must 4-pointer as they get back to home-cooking. The entire team up and down the lineup need to step up their offensive production. Let's GOOOOOOO BIG Green!!!

Comment

BG ties RPI late to scratch out a point. However, this has to be a downer as a W would have obviously put them in better position in the standings. IMHO BG lost this game in the first where they thoroughly outplayed RPI only to have RPI scored the first goal (really their only look and chance) to go in tied after one. After that, the game was dead-even although I should point out that RPI never trailed and BG having to rally each time.

Again Yau was BG's best player. And if Yau is their best player then BG is in trouble. This has absolutely nothing against Yau as he is undoubtedly playing his best hockey but more of an indictment on the rest of the players which I will get into later. Savory outplays Clark to get the W. Han also looked very good on the offensive end from the D position.

Comment

Working...
                                X