No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

BG reverts back to its Sybil personality of inconsistent play and playing better on Fridays than on Saturday’s. I guess one can say that the only thing consistent is their inconsistent play. After playing a pretty airtight game the night before beating Yale, BG just didn’t seem to have the skating legs, losing puck battles, passes were not crisp, etc. This was a very even game despite the outcome. BG was terrible in the first with Brown capitalizing on its PP on a nice set up and execution. While settling in on the left half boards, Marchin takes a few strides back in a “quiter” area and one times a goal past Clark. The goal got a lot of net; I believe this play surprised BG and Clark as I do not believe he was ready for it. Clark was very good but Kania was better stming BG’s every attempt. Brown’ s three best players were Kania, Marchin, and little Stillwell ( almost a exact replica of Yau). The first ends with BG down 1-0. BG comes out, not surprisingly motivated and with a sense of urgency in the second only to be stymied by Kania and maybe this played into their heads. It is my belief that is BG scores here they come back and wins the game. The second ends with Brown still maintaining its 1-0 lead. Both teams trade scoring opportunities in the third and with Brown pressing a rebound deflects perfectly off a Brown weak side D and into the goal. However BG never quit as they exerted more pressure only to be stoned even with an EA towards the end of the game. So with the results of the last month or so things are becoming increasingly clear: the goals against are way down and even amount of Grade A scoring chances given up due to a vastly improved D core and team D, anchored by Clark in goal. As usual and again it’s Achilles Heel is that BG is challenged to score which conflates to too much pressure on Clark and D core. Without proof I believe BG has secured at bare minimum to host a first round playoff tilt. More to come on Senior’s Night and players!

Comment

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Big Green: Can't travel to Meehan for Friday's Q at Brown game but I think I can make it to Achilles to see Dartmoth play U. A lot at stake for both teams. Should be a good game. I will be one of the few rooting for Dartmouth.

Comment

I just did the math: Clark is .943 save percentage in February. And the Big Green went 2-3-2.

Get him some goals, boys! Clark's playing the best hockey of his tenure at Dartmouth so far. Gotta do better for him than 10 goals in 7 games!!

If this team could have everyone click at once they'd be darn dangerous. It hasn't happened yet, at least for any length of time. At this point of the year you usually think it's not going to, but sometimes, the clean slate of the playoffs can be beneficial. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised to be watching/listening to the Big Green at Lake Placid, or conversely if they're eliminated in the first round. Everything is on the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
          I just did the math: Clark is .943 save percentage in February. And the Big Green went 2-3-2.

Get him some goals, boys! Clark's playing the best hockey of his tenure at Dartmouth so far. Gotta do better for him than 10 goals in 7 games!!

If this team could have everyone click at once they'd be darn dangerous. It hasn't happened yet, at least for any length of time. At this point of the year you usually think it's not going to, but sometimes, the clean slate of the playoffs can be beneficial. We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised to be watching/listening to the Big Green at Lake Placid, or conversely if they're eliminated in the first round. Everything is on the table.
          Thx for number crunching GreenBear! Without a doubt Clark has been BG’s best player during that timeframe and he only can do so much....he cannot score goals for them. He he! It is the same old story; the challenge to score goals and I often mentioned “easy” goals like I referenced earlier a couple games ago. However it’s playoff hockey time and its those greasy goals that’s going to do it. This is where the special will probably end of it winning/losing for you. And you know that is not BG’s strength!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
            Big Green: Can't travel to Meehan for Friday's Q at Brown game but I think I can make it to Achilles to see Dartmoth play U. A lot at stake for both teams. Should be a good game. I will be one of the few rooting for Dartmouth.
            Thx for the nice gesture Mike! Like I posted on your thread, this is probably the best Brown has played in some time. Hell, they swept BG this year.
            Good luck the rest of the way!

Comment

I will utterly be remissed if I didn’t bring up Senior Night this past weekend against Brown. Although the outcome was not kosher, that it no way takes away from the contributions of the six departing seniors: Ernsting, Hesler, Jasiek, Kilistoff, Roth, and Yau. BG, let’s go out on top for these boys!

Comment

It's Game Day/Weekend! BG travels to Union and then RPI. What's at stake...everything which is not different than all the teams jockeying for poll position the following week for the start of the play-offs. Although BG lost to Union in Hanover, I believed they were slightly the better team so I hope they get rewarded for that tonight if that plays out of being the better team. Obviously, this Union team is not of teams past but still good and growing. Like GreenBear has duly noted, BG has yet to put it together for both the entire and/or 60 minutes. Sooooo about starting now and going into the Little Dance on a roll.

Keys to Vic:

- Continue to plays good team D (D core supplemented by F's) and of course consistent (no bad goals) goaltending
                - Continue to put pucks on net but with more traffic or shoot for a rebound as BG does not have a proven finisher
                - Graber needs to finds his mojo again (sleeper alert...Clay Han)
                - Win the special teams game with a bare minimum even, hopefully a in the plus column
                - Just skate, skate, and skate and have fun!

Let's Goooooooo BIG GREEN!

Comment

Big Green: terrific game last night. Dartmouth's comeback with two goals in final minute and a half after Union went up by two goals a minute before, with tying goal at :32 was a great effort. Actually, after U went up by two, Dartmouth showed a determination it would not lose. Here is local newspaper account of game - OT goal descriotion is accurate

https://www.timesunion.com/test/spor...n-13656493.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                    Big Green: terrific game last night. Dartmouth's comeback with two goals in final minute and a half after Union went up by two goals a minute before, with tying goal at :32 was a great effort. Actually, after U went up by two, Dartmouth showed a determination it would not lose. Here is local newspaper account of game - OT goal descriotion is accurate

https://www.timesunion.com/test/spor...n-13656493.php
                    Thanks Mike for kind words and link! BG did indeed comeback to no avail. They were their own worst enemy as they played terrible throughout the whole prior to the EA and ensuing goals. Since we both took it on the chin last night, good luck tonight and the rest of the way for your Bears!

Comment

How fickle can BG be? Doing the splits again...losing Friday to Union and coming back to beat RPI. BG was actually only existent for the last 5 minutes of the Union with a EA with Union dominating the game. Then BG gets outplayed in the first and a careless blind backhand pass by Demler deep in BG's D zone leads to a easy RPI goal in the slot where Clark had absolutely zero chance. Then RPI comes out storming with extensive O zone time although nothing Grade A but had BG hemmed in their D zone for probably the first 5 minutes. Then the parting of the Red Sea. Graber who has been MIA for the last month or so rifles bardown upper right 90 to ignite and jump start a BG team left for dead. Then quickly thereafter Graber goes wide and deep and centers a pass to a center and hard driving O'Connor for the nice re-direct goal. Then a bit after that with BG on the PP, Yau moves the puck over to a forward momentum moving Graber who poys another upper right 90 for a PP goal. Did I just say that? That was the game as BG took control for the rest of the game. If Graber can keep this pace and results up, BG can be dangerous in the playoffs, along with a consistent, steady, and reliable Yau and Clark. More to come of BG's 5th place finish and match up with St. L in the first round of the playoffs.

Comment

Big Green: Here's story about your team's win last night https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...h-13658836.php

Looking forward to an all Ivy Final Four in Placid - Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell and Harvard!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                          Big Green: Here's story about your team's win last night https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...h-13658836.php

Looking forward to an all Ivy Final Four in Placid - Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell and Harvard!
                          Thanks a bunch Mike! I thought for sure you Bears would get the 5 or no worse than 6th seed going into this past weekend but you ran into some hot and good teams. Good luck on match up! Go Ivies!

Comment

Graber is the engine that makes the offense go. I sure hope he's back after his huge night (again--he had a hat trick last year too!) at RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                              Graber is the engine that makes the offense go. I sure hope he's back after his huge night (again--he had a hat trick last year too!) at RPI.
                              Without a doubt, your best players have to be your best players. Here's hoping that last game's performance has him righting the ship because we all know BG is scoring-challenged! The time is NOW!

Comment

It's playoff time! BG hosts ST L for best 2/3 series. They played each other last year with BG needing a third and final game to put ST L away. Last year's ST L team was better with Pritchard who transferred to UMass/AM and doing great. However with that said, BG won and barely tied ST L this season. In the first in Hanover, they ran rough shod over ST L putting over 50 shots on goal winning 4-1; it could have and should have been a more lopsided score. To ST L credit, they bounced back at home a played much better leading late I believe before BG tied it 2-2.

Keys to Vic:

- score early and often as ST L just do not have the team or fire power to rally from behind
                                - this is great to say, partial Tree Line hopefully continues off a big last game (note O' Connor in for Sellar)
                                - team D with its D core and F playing sound; of course Clark
                                - no reason the PP should not get at least one goal a game
                                - finally skate, skate, and then skate as BG is the much better skating team

Comment

Working...
                                X