No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

I mentioned in previous post about a line up change but I did not think it would be this radical:

Graber sits, probably hurt but I stated he has not been playing well of late; is that because he indeed is hurt?
    Roth sits, probably more of a rest and taking a look from the stands; he will and should be back in line up
    Blankemeir in which he played is usual game, not hurting but in on forecheck and winning board battles
    Ernsting in but limited minutes and didn't show much
    DiMaio in and struggled with puck management and having a hard time getting out of D zone

Matthews struggled last night which is surprising as he has been playing well
    Markell and Demler is still on the ice when goals are scored; Yes they are on against top lines; they have a problem protecting the "house"
    Forman showed something last night, maybe without Graber with elusiveness and close to impact playing but still loses too many battles
    O'Connor needs to let the puck do the work and use his gifted skating ability; try a pass and go/support
    Han was very good activating being a 3 or 4 man in O zone find open ice and being a dangerous option; pair him with Demler
    Clark was OK but still loss the battle of goalies
    Baker does not have the hands to be a center or the play-making ability as his game is N/S

Comment

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Apparently, flu has been a big issue with Dartmouth and other teams this weekend. Some of the players likely were out for that reason, but I haven't had a chance to ask specifically which ones.

I've figured out Clark: he is solid but usually has one marginal goal per game. Not all of these are "bad" goals, but they're tweeners that you want your goaltender to step up and make. Clark this year has been reliable but hasn't made as many big saves at key times as you'd like to see as a Dartmouth fan. An example of that big save: see Savory's save last night in the 3rd period on the 2x1. That by all rights should have been a goal and 2 points, but Savory saved the game. Clark isn't coming up with those. He stole a couple of games/points last year but you can't point to a game this year where he's done similarly. But as we both agree--he's been solid. It'd just be nice to see him move up to the next tier of "excellent". "Elite" is too much to ask or expect (and I don't think anyone expects it on a night-in, night-out basis)

Shane Sellar played well last night, too. I actually liked the trio of Sellar-Baker-Foreman though I bet it doesn't last when Graber gets back. I'd be intrigued by Baker at the wing on with Rutherford at center (perhaps w/ Jasiek) to see what they could do.

Gotta throw out Yau's name. He was excellent last night. I think he's been so good and so reliable that a good night for him has become routine, but he was again the BG's best defenseman, and was very good all around. (EDIT: You pointed that out two posts ago and I am just seeing that now.)
      Last edited by GreenBear; 02-09-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
        Apparently, flu has been a big issue with Dartmouth and other teams this weekend. Some of the players likely were out for that reason, but I haven't had a chance to ask specifically which ones.

I've figured out Clark: he is solid but usually has one marginal goal per game. Not all of these are "bad" goals, but they're tweeners that you want your goaltender to step up and make. Clark this year has been reliable but hasn't made as many big saves at key times as you'd like to see as a Dartmouth fan. An example of that big save: see Savory's save last night in the 3rd period on the 2x1. That by all rights should have been a goal and 2 points, but Savory saved the game. Clark isn't coming up with those. He stole a couple of games/points last year but you can't point to a game this year where he's done similarly. But as we both agree--he's been solid. It'd just be nice to see him move up to the next tier of "excellent". "Elite" is too much to ask or expect (and I don't think anyone expects it on a night-in, night-out basis)

Shane Sellar played well last night, too. I actually liked the trio of Sellar-Baker-Foreman though I bet it doesn't last when Graber gets back. I'd be intrigued by Baker at the wing on with Rutherford at center (perhaps w/ Jasiek) to see what they could do.

Gotta throw out Yau's name. He was excellent last night. I think he's been so good and so reliable that a good night for him has become routine, but he was again the BG's best defenseman, and was very good all around. (EDIT: You pointed that out two posts ago and I am just seeing that now.)
        Great point with Sellar...I thought about highlighting him but maybe I am expecting too much out of him from last year's stellar performance. Like I said, he is the BG's best puck retriever and has great net front presence as shown last night being the agitator in front of Savory. As you aptly pointed out, he also made that great pass to Baker on that one-timer that Savory stoned. If Baker, gets that up, its a goal.

Comment

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda. Again.

Outshot Union, outplayed them for a lot of the night, but outside of Baker's pretty finish on the breakaway, couldn't buy a goal. Certainly had chances, but no finish.

A top 4 finish is out of the question, most likely. Dartmouth will probably finish in the 2nd 4. My gut feeling is 8th and RPI in the 1st round. But they could conceivably drop to 9th and a road game, although I think they grabbed enough points at the start of the year to limp across the finish line.

Maybe I'm just down about another game the Big Green could have won, and a 1 point weekend when I was thinking 2+, but this is setting up to be a really disappointing end to the season considering the way last year played out.

Comment

Bang on GreenBear as i was thinking the same thing...maybe I over-valued (expectations) the BG based on last season's finish. Regardless, while playing well, they are not getting the points as the two previous weekend's outcome shows. Brown (maybe the hottest ECAC team) jumps them in the standing and Union right behind. If not with some freshmen juice, BG would be in trouble this year as many of the players with so-called career years last season have flat-lined. And even so the freshmen are not even the same players as they were at the beginning of the season but they get the benefit of the doubt for being freshmen.

Now onto last night's game. It played out pretty similar to the previous night's vs RPI. BG comes out hard with many scoring chances only to be tied at zeros after one. Then Roth stretches and beautiful seam pass to a fast -moving and cutting Baker who comes in composed and shelfs a goal. This is probably one of BG's best goals when accounting for quick strike ability. However, in did not last long as Union counters with Matthews inadverdently deflects Union goal off his stick. The scores stays this way with BG getting the better of the play to no avail as Hanson stands on his head (getting to be a broken record against BG). It would only be fair to say that he was matched by Clark as well although not as many chances. The with less the 4 minutes to play and a D zone FO with Baker. He loses it clean to Union and a lefty shoots and it either beats Clark short-side or five hole. Either way, that save has got to be made. It looked like he wasn't quite ready and possibly screened a bit but saveable. The with a EA BG gets O zone time but between Graber and Yau they fail to shoot and trying to do a interchange at the blue line turns it over. With pressure that high. that puck has got to go to the half boards with un-pressured support. Or maybe a forward has to support as a bumper but it shouldn't get in that position the first place if puck properly managed by Graber. Of course O blue line breakaway EN for Union. I really thought that BG might score there just like last night and force overtime.

In the end, either the opposing has BG's number or BG's lack of finishing skills come back to bite them, probably a combo of both. Additionally, the read and recognition of BG is not up to par. For example, Kilistoff comes on a clear-cut 3 on 2 with F3 being the trailer but he forces the puck to F2 and it gets negated. This is not even counting the correct read and the execution goes awry. Unfortunately, Hanson bests Clark. This league is becoming very clear that the league is top heavy (Red and Q) although on any given night they can be beaten as shown but they have been the most consistent. It is from 3- 8 or 9 where it gets a little fuzzy. Come on BG hunker down and dig deep(er). You can bounce back!

Comment

Adrian Clark: man, if he could just play against Clarkson all the time. Huge 1-0 win for the Big Green. Been waiting for him to steal a game all season--there it is.

I didn't see it--heard portions of periods 1 and 3 on the Dartmouth broadcast. Clark was 1st star and I'll have to find highlights in the AM of a couple saves he made that the broadcaster was going crazy over. One was on Sturm I know. Looking forward to seeing the highlights.

Great win, Dartmouth--just don't go lay an egg at St. Lawrence tomorrow. Haven't taken 4 points in a weekend all year--it's there for the taking.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                Adrian Clark: man, if he could just play against Clarkson all the time. Huge 1-0 win for the Big Green. Been waiting for him to steal a game all season--there it is.

I didn't see it--heard portions of periods 1 and 3 on the Dartmouth broadcast. Clark was 1st star and I'll have to find highlights in the AM of a couple saves he made that the broadcaster was going crazy over. One was on Sturm I know. Looking forward to seeing the highlights.

Great win, Dartmouth--just don't go lay an egg at St. Lawrence tomorrow. Haven't taken 4 points in a weekend all year--it's there for the taking.
                GreenBear, you took those very words out of my mouth regarding Clark's performance! Awesomeness!!!

Comment

I have been rather tough on Clark but to be fair and balanced...Clark literally and figuratively STOLE last night's 1-0 W over and tough Clarkson team. This team is built to go deep if they get a little more scoring. Their D core and team structure is sound and tight and back that up with Keily you have a recipe for success deep into playoffs.

BG outplayed Clarkson in the first with one really good one-timer in the slot by Sellar which Keily stoned. He looks so effortless and efficient; most definitely a great trait for a goalie. Then in the second the Clarkson comes out on fire and the game opens up a bit, penalties contributes to this. While killing, Clarkson down on a 2-1, then 2-2, then late trailer (take notes BG on the 3 man trailer) Sturm who gets a Grade A chance but Clark is there. Then on their PP, they set up the triangle (tic tac toe) with in the high slot only to be denied by Clark. Clarkson dominates the second and third only to have Clark keep them scoreless, obviously TEAM D helped out. Then with less than a minute left in the game O'Connor at the very end of a shift after Clarkson has extended O zone time, comes out on a harmless 2 on 2 then 3 on 3. He moves the puck over to a supporting Han who stays wide and centers a puck (Han had no other better options) to a hard driving center lane drive by O'Connor (pass and go yeah O' Connor) who deflects home Han's centering pass, just like you draw it up. So with about 30 seconds to go with Keily playing the puck behind the net gets tripped by Forman. Clarkson gets into an O zone FO and gets an absolute Grade A one timer by Brosseau from right FO circle which Clark slides over and saves. GAME OVER as BG wins this tightly contested play-off atmosphere and game-style affair.

Comment

Well after playing one of their best games of the worst, BG turns Jekyl & Hyde and proceeds to play one of their worst games of the season in tying SL 2-2. The highs and lows played out from the previous night as BG were "trapped". I would have expected somewhat of downer but not to this extent. This game was downright ugly as no one player really stood out. The players standing out were of reasons you don't want to stand out for. It was filled with TO galore preceded by bad decision-making, bad (off) passes, bad hands to receive passes, you name it! The good thing was that the effort was there.

A "bad" goal given up by each goalie turns out to be a wash, tied at 1's. Then Yau clears the puck off the high glass onto a streaking Sellar who has a 2 on 1 (I think either Forman or Graber) as the defender plays it well. Sellar shoots and I believe it goals five-hole to take the lead but a bit later SL ties it on a scrum in front. Ugly but they don't ask how but rather how many! That's the way it ends in both regulation and OT.

More will come on later! Stay tuned BG fans!

Comment

The good from the weekend:

Roth/Han was maybe their best pair as both provided O support, especially Han; still scary defending in their own zone or trying to get out
                      Clark stole the Clarkson game but then reverted back to inconsistent play, albeit good enough
                      Sellar might have turned the corner and back to playing to his strength; puck-retrieval, instigator, net presence, and PK
                      Demler good deep in corners with board battles and so so in open ice stepping up with bad reads

The Need to Improve:

PP was atrocious with the first unit with no puck retrieval thus set up; second unit with better entries and zone time but not dangerous
                      Graber is not the same player as he was earlier in season; why I cannot tell you
                      Forman has been scoring hands are suspect and needs to win more board battles with that reach; not a good decision-maker
                      Jasiek has cooled off and was invisible this weekend
                      Hesler needs to find some offensive output
                      O' Connor while dangerous in O zone badly needs to work on D zone coverage and puck decisions; this isn't minor or junior hockey anymore
                      Losurdo is AWOL
                      Yau/Matthews has been the best pair all season but so so this weekend
                      Markell might be hurt and Less takes over; he is still work in progress
                      Grind Line hands are very suspect and I guess an achievement for them would be an EVEN at the end of game; pluses are a bonus for them

I wish there were more Goods than Improves but that's how I saw it!

Comment

It’s Game Day/Weekend as BG hosts Yale then Brown. You can call it Jockey Weekend as well as most teams including BG will be fighting for first round byes and home ice. These are all 4 point weekends. Yale is coming in on a good roll seems to almost always put up some crooked numbers against BG although BG and Clark shut them out last meeting at the Whale, go figure. I do not foresee that happening tonight. It appears BG plays their better weekend games on Friday. Additionally, BG appears to have tightened up their team D. Is that because of their overall play, structure, goaltending , etc , probably a combo of the above but one thing is for sure ....that is the overall essence of play-off hockey. Also is it at the expense of team offensive output? BG has always been challenged to score goals especially “easy and quick ones” like counters and odd man advantages. Goooooo BIG Green!

Comment

BG beats Yale 2-0 in a very even and fast paced game. BG gets on the board less than one minute as the Yale D misplays a clearing pass onto a streaking Baker who centers a pass to a hard driving Less going to the net. Less opens up his hands and deflects the puck right in the crease for a beautiful goal. However Yale had the better play in the first but nothing really Grade A for a highly skilled and octane offensive team. BG comes out in the second and turns the tide in play, controlling pace and possession. They catch Yale pinching at blue line and off on an odd man advantage with O’ Coonor threading a nice pass to Rutherford who bangs one off the inside of the post only to have a hard driving Baker follow up with the rebound in the open net. Baker was the best player on the ice last night, playing hard and with purpose, factoring in in both BG goals. Then the third was fairly even. Although BG had a two goal lead they did not sit back but rather played smart hockey rather than preventive hockey. Kudos goes out to the D core and team D as Clark made the timely and consistent saves to get another shut out. BG shuts out Yale in both games this season, go figure as the are fast and skilled. That was indeed a playoff gameesque!

So BG holds serve on Friday but as mentioned earlier they seemed to not be as sharp for the Saturday game and Brown will be coming in hot, despite losing to Harvard yesterday. A 4 point weekend here will almost assuredly guarantee ( without loooking at scenarios) a first home ice first round playoff for the BG. Gooooo BG!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                            So BG holds serve on Friday but as mentioned earlier they seemed to not be as sharp for the Saturday game and Brown will be coming in hot, despite losing to Harvard yesterday. A 4 point weekend here will almost assuredly guarantee ( without loooking at scenarios) a first home ice first round playoff for the BG. Gooooo BG!
                            It's pretty unlikely that Dartmouth would open up on the road at this point--just a matter of who they'll play. Both a 1st round bye and a road series in the opening round seem equally unlikely, but again--I haven't seen the latest projections.

One thing I'll add to your very good writeup is the effort from the Big Green last night. They outworked Yale consistently over the 60 minutes, which is a necessity when the opponent does have more skill. That recipe--outwork them and get excellent goaltending--can take a good team a long way. And Dartmouth is a good team--they don't have the great pieces that other teams have, but when they play well as a team and that formula holds, they can stay with anyone.

Only team I just can't see Dartmouth beating in a 3 game series is Cornell. At the same time, there are teams below them who can certainly beat Dartmouth if the Big Green don't get the goaltending and effort they have been receiving lately.

Comment

Something about Brown. BG have lost 3 straight to the Bears now.

Dartmouth does have home ice in the playoffs for sure. But after the way last season ended, this "maybe we'll be 5th, maybe we'll limp into 8th" conclusion to the year is disappointing. Power play can't connect, some of the big guns are silent, and right now, I don't see an easy matchup with whoever we get: RPI, Princeton, Colgate or Union--I doubt we get St. Lawrence.

Maybe they'll go into this weekend and take 4 points in NY. That'd have me a lot more optimistic than I am now. It's a roller coaster with this team--I was pretty happy 24 hours ago with that win over Yale. I've gone from "Only team I just can't see Dartmouth beating in a 3 game series is Cornell" to "man, we may be done in 2 weeks".

Comment

100% agreed GreenBear! Something about Brown that BG has trouble with. Brown is last year’s Princeton. In the past, while BG was better on paper, the results were almost always a split.

Comment

Working...
                                X