No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

In 24 hours, the first matches of the conference schedule will be over and you will no longer be able to enter the ECAC Pick the Standings contest (or change your picks if you already entered). It takes very little time to enter, so head on over to the thread and make your pick!
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

It's a BIG Green Game Day as they take on the Crimson Boys for its ECAC and home opener! There is no secret that Harvard has had the upper hand for quite awhile but the gap appears to be closing as evidenced by last year's ECAC quarters where Harvard closed out the Big Green season by taking the final two games of the 3-game series. Let's hope the BIG Green uses this as incentive to start out the year.

The BIG Green's one and only pre-season game vs the U-18's and Jack Hughes was fairly well-played considering the first game of the year. It will be very interesting who dresses for this as the BIG Green appears to be deeper than it has been. Of course, having Carl Hesler back is huge and also the play of Clark and Ferguson in net.

Let's GOOOOO BIG Green!

Comment

Ahh! What a beautiful morning it is as the BIG Green beats is arch rival Harvard is a gunfight at the OK Corral 7-6, (a missed point after TD). Now let's get down to the game. It lacked flow as the refs asserted themselves right away with many ticky tack penalties (I believe some would be questionable in todays NHL stick work/jab/poke/slight hook) to the hands of an opposing player. Let me be very clear, these calls did NOT determine the outcome as to the refs'credit he called it both ways. The BG certainly needs to work on its PK as nothing worked last night as Harvard and Fox did what they wanted and I believe tallied 5 PP goals. I guess things: stay out of the box first then work on it and as they say your best PK player should be your goalie.

The Tree Line amassed many points but they far from dominated when they were out; called cashing in when the opportunities were there. Sellar was the best player on the ice along with Fox. It seems as though Sellar may have added a little decision and play-making to his game. Contrary, the Hesler did not do much. Matter of fact, I don't think any of them were on the scoresheet. If you told me that the BG scored 7 goals and that line did not register one point...I would have said you were lying and crazy. Also the Baker line did not do much as well, maybe they are finding themselves. Although BG congrats to O' Connor notching his first collegiate goal with nice forehand backhand finish. The Grind line did and served their purpose as you know what to expect out of them Blankemeir, way to get inside position for the re-direct.

The D albeit team D as a foursome got eaten up on the PK as Harvard had their way. Fox was just incredible QBing Harvard's PP. Clark seemed to have difficulties tracking the puck. It seemed as though he was guessing and blocking shots instead of making saves. It is very hard to 5v5 on how the BG's D fared. Yes, I believed they only let in one ES goal on a tip in in the slot because so much time was spent on the PK. Markell looks almost exactly like Less which is a compliment. I hope Less is OK as he hasn't dressed in the two game and I cannot believe it is due to a healthy scratch. And as usual Yau was minutes muncher and the same for the above with the Hesler line about not tallying a point.

All in all, great way to start the ECAC season beating a very good Harvard team and as it said previously the gap between them is getting tighter. There is no doubt they get the way more talented players but that's why you play the game.

Things to Improve on:
        - stay out of box and when in it, work on the team PK unit
        - goaltending has to get better (no blame)

Things to Rally Around:
        - Tree Line strikes again and again
        - A W without points from Hesler, Jasiek, Losurdo, and Yau

Comment

Only thing I'll add is that we may have a PP this year. We both mentioned that if the BG have forwards who can score a little, Graber could be a more effective weapon on the point.

A mediocre PP (let alone a dangerous one) could be a big difference maker for this team. It's been a long time since we've had that, but I think we will this season and then some.

Comment

Hey! Someone thinks we're a top 20 team. Dartmouth got a vote.

Then again, some interesting teams have gotten votes so far this year (Brown? Maine? Army? Colgate?) so that may not be saying much!

Comment

Weekend Preview: Harvard/Dartmouth

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...dartmouth.html
              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
              2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
              https://***********/QHockeyBlog
              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

It’s Game Day as The Tigers stroll into town. Let’s not mince words as the potent Princeton offense pounded the BG last year, virtually men vs boys. However that was last year and if the boys have any cahunas they will have filed that in their collective memory banks and change that outcome or at the very least be much more competitive and show some bite back tendencies. Princeton is high octane offense from the D’s to the F’s of which they are talented. Despite all that, they did not show will in the tourney getting bounced one and done.

Keys to success:
                stay out of penalty box
                Goalie must be very good in making the routine saves and timely saves
                5 man team D with proper structure and discipline
                2 man D with proper gaps and play recognition
                Catch them on counters and transitions
                Tree Line must own their O zone with long zone time followed by points
                Finally remember last year but live in the moment and have fun

Comment

Keys to success:
                  stay out of penalty box--Nope
                  Goalie must be very good in making the routine saves and timely saves--Nope
                  5 man team D with proper structure and discipline--Nope
                  2 man D with proper gaps and play recognition--Sometimes, but not often enough.
                  Catch them on counters and transitions--Nope. Had no odd man rushes all night I don't think. Had a hard time getting up ice.
                  Tree Line must own their O zone with long zone time followed by points--Nope.
                  Finally remember last year but live in the moment and have fun--I can't speak for the team but I'll go out on a limb and say nope here, too.

Bad night at the office all around. As BB would say, "On to Quinnipiac".

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                    Keys to success:
                    stay out of penalty box--Nope
                    Goalie must be very good in making the routine saves and timely saves--Nope
                    5 man team D with proper structure and discipline--Nope
                    2 man D with proper gaps and play recognition--Sometimes, but not often enough.
                    Catch them on counters and transitions--Nope. Had no odd man rushes all night I don't think. Had a hard time getting up ice.
                    Tree Line must own their O zone with long zone time followed by points--Nope.
                    Finally remember last year but live in the moment and have fun--I can't speak for the team but I'll go out on a limb and say nope here, too.

Bad night at the office all around. As BB would say, "On to Quinnipiac".
                    Very good quick synopsis of last quick game as I do not blame you for the hint of terseness and also the “the calls”

Comment

Wow...what a great game for the first the period as that would serve as a great marketing tool for NCAA hockey. The play was awesome up and and down hockey with quality chances at a very good pace. The Tigers made good on a late breaking 3 v 2 with the 3F banging in the goal, great looking play. I believe the BG actually outplayed The Tigers just a tad in the first due to better quality chances stoned by their goalie although down one.

Then the “call” which led to another the “call”! Those who know my postings know I do not blame the refs but on these two “calls” it completely changed the tenor and outcome of the game. What was a great 5v5 very paced game turned into a slow methodical 1/3 of the ice game as in O zone for the Tigers. So this is how I see it, Demler steps up in the neutral zone and open ice and hits a Tigers player with his back as to not totally clock him out. This was clearly a interference penalty. Then the ref converse for about 5 minutes and turns it into a 5 minute major citing “intent for significant injury” while the Princeton player gets up right way and is part of the EA on going play. Then after doing well and killing the first minute or so of the major Kilistoff gets sent off for a trip. This happened right in front of me. The Tiger player actually skates into Kilistoff and they clip legs/sticks and is called for a trip. As I cannot read the refs mind, I believe he saw the play late and saw the Tiger player go down without seeing that said player veering towards Kilistoff. Now this refs calls a trip , the same one that Gaudet was barking at for an explanation of the major. Was it by coincidence? I don’t know? Regardless you cannot call that minor having just called a very marginal at best minor timed into major. At worst, this phantom tripping call should have been either no one gets sent off or Kilistoff and Tiger player ( embellishment or roughing for coincidental minors). So after all that, the Tigers scores two PP goals to control the game and take the great and lively crowd out of it Mind you , BG just let up 5 PP goals last week and also now two of the better PK’ers’ were in the box.

Then BG gets on the PP and for awhile accomplishes nothing until Yau hits a streaking Baker in the neutral zone and he puts wicked wrister through the 7 hole of the goalie and now the traditional raining of tennis balls hits the ice; there were tons of tennis balls along with squid, octopus, and so on. Now that’s college hockey!!! However that excitement was short lived as after a 15 minute break to clear the tennis balls the BG allows a goal on the very first shift back, that’s clearly on them.

The rest of the game the Tigers were on cruise control as the air was taking out of the crowd and a couple of “bad” goals allowed just contributed to it. In the end, quite a disappointment at the outcome as in my opinion the refs clearly dictated the outcome after as I stated a great opening period of hockey. Let’s be crystal clear the refs did not lose the game for BG as there was still half of the left but given the lack of quick strike and high potent offense talent, it would have been very difficult to come back against a very talented and fun to watch Tiger team. Although I obviously root for the BG, I consider myself very objective in just wanting to see great hockey which I did, unfortunately for only the first period.

As Bob Seegers says, “Turn to Page”. BG, let’s put this in the rear view mirror and channel that edge and terseness to Q tonight and focused on the positives such as your play in the first period against the Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                        Very good quick synopsis of last quick game as I do not blame you for the hint of terseness and also the “the calls”
                        The officiating was strange last night. The Markell interference major I'd need to see again. But as you mention, Kilistoff going off for tripping during that 5 min PP was ridiculous. And that 5x3 PPG changed the nature of the game. (EDIT: Watched it again. It wasn't interference. And it didn't look like a head shot. Demler got 5 minutes for hitting too hard. And the Kilistoff call was a JOKE.)

Also--I like the tennis balls. It's a great tradition. But for the 2nd year in a row, we could have used the momentum of a big goal to either extend an early lead (last year) or get back into the game (this year), and the clean-up delay seemed to snuff it out. In any case, PU came back to score almost immediately in both cases. Classic case of a double-edged sword: great college hockey tradition but a potential momentum killer as well.

I think things will be better tonight. I expect to see Clark back in goal--Ferguson wasn't awful or anything, but didn't make timely saves and didn't play well enough to get a 2nd start IMO. Wonder if we see any skater changes. I would really like to see Cam Strong inserted; who I'd want him to replace is the question. It's not like anyone jumps out at me as needing to be sat, but we'll see what Coach Gaudet has in mind.
                        Last edited by GreenBear; 11-03-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Quinnipiac's poor effort ends winning streak in 5-1 loss to Dartmouth

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...s-winning.html
                          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                          https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Things sure were a heck of a lot better last night. It's excellent to have more than one line that is counted on to score a disproportionate amount of goals. Having a power play that actually uses the entire zone and can burn you from either the point or a well-executed one-timer from in-close is something we haven't had in a long time. I expect to see THAT Dartmouth team far more than the one we saw in Periods 2 and 3 on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                              Things sure were a heck of a lot better last night. It's excellent to have more than one line that is counted on to score a disproportionate amount of goals. Having a power play that actually uses the entire zone and can burn you from either the point or a well-executed one-timer from in-close is something we haven't had in a long time. I expect to see THAT Dartmouth team far more than the one we saw in Periods 2 and 3 on Friday.
                              100% agreed! Great bounce back W against a supposedly good Q team. While this did not have nearly the pace compared to the first period of last night, understandable given the back to back nights, the outcome was certainly needed.

Things we we found out:

Contributions from freshmen O'Connor , Losurdo, and Markell have been noticeable
                              Roles appear to be more defined such as Grind Line as checking line, Tree Line O zone FO's, Hesler's line balanced O/D traits
                              Yau is playing some of best hockey thus far and if the other D's can play simple, especially in D zone, they are decididely better
                              Still too early to tell on the goalie situation

Comment

Nice weekend of hockey put by forth the BG although the end result was a split. However, as stated previously, positives can be and should be extracted from the Princeton loss. On paper, it appears to be a lop-sided blow-out but for the first period the play is as good as it gets in college hockey with clean up and down play where BG actually slightly outplayed Princeton by creating and getting better Grade A scoring chances while down 1-0. Then the wheels fell off after letting up a couple of PK goals and the BG never recovered. It would have been nicer to see a little sense of urgency and bite but the calls took the entire crowd out of the game and unfortunately it transcended down to the coaches and players on the ice.

BUT the BG certainly righted the ship which with a nice bounce back W. After a slow and uneventful first period, the BG took control over the game vs Q with timely scoring and more importantly controlling their D zone, not giving up much if anything. This was a total team win from from coaches on down to the 3 units (5v5, PP, and PK). GOOOO BIG Green!

Comment

Working...
                                X