No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
    Had no reason to feel going going into this game, but wow.....what a thrashing! I sure didn't expect a 5-0 shutout win. I'll let BG do the analysis; I'm in the NH mountains tonight and skiing again in the AM so I'm gonna get to sleep.
    Great call GB! You should either go to Vegas and/or be a prophet! Watch out for those snow bunnies!

Comment

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

The big Tiger is finally off the collective BG's back as they go into Hobey and totally dominate the Tigers 5-0; BG just about did everything right and held the high octane offense to low grade. Kuffner, Veronneau, and Teves was barey noticeable despite tons of TOI. BG jumped out early and often with Jasiek (getting hot on the line with Baker and Rutherford; good skill) fires in a short side lazer that beats the Tigers goalie above his shoulder. Then while not doing much on a PP O'Connor shreds the D going strong to the net for the second. This is then followed up by another PP goal (did I just write that) with Forman feeding Jasiek on the back post for an easy lay-up goal.

Then the Tigers re-group and comes out hard in the beginning of the second only to be stymied by Clark. Soon after BG scores their 4th Kilistoff going hard to the net and banging home a rebound off a play by Strong and shot by Warpecha. Finally Carl H bangs home another rebound on his off wing.

Princeton just seemed way off and no where close to last year when they got a on roll to the tourney. Their passes were just off and not connecting or maybe they failed to collect a great pass, failing to capitalize on a potential scoring chance. They looked uninspired as they played all 3 goalies after BG chasing the first two. BTW the third goalie did look good as BG did not let up. I should add that their announcers did say that this was the Tigers last game before break and finals and this may have contributed to their play???

Recipe for the W
      - Stay out off the box although they killed off last night's
      - Balanced scoring form 2-4 and this is still without the slumping Tree Line; Blankemeir was inserted in lineup and was noticeable winning pucks
      - No major faux pa's on D with Matthews getting hot and Less getting better after IR
      - Clark was "consistently" good with no bad goals allowed
      - Most important, BG retained that "killer instinct" through out the entire game and did not let up despite the big lead

Comment

It's Game Day/Weekend as the BG heads down to a waiting snow storm but the games must go on. They play at Colgate tonight which promises to be a low-scoring tight game. If the Tree Line and D core offensive output does well, it bodes very good for the outcome. Graber has been in a funk and desperately needs to get out of it. It seems as though he may be trying to do too much when plays aren't there whether it's forcing an ill-advised pass or trying carry the puck through a couple of guys. He needs to pick his spots better. Also Yau/Matthews can help pick up the slack from the back end.
        Win tonight and carry that big "MO" into Elynah tomorrow night and head out of dodge before the big impending snowstorm. You have got this one, BIG Green!

Comment

Wow, last night's game vs Colgate was as even as it gets with BG eeking out a 1-0 victory. Both goalies were outstanding (they both were the best players on the ice last night) with Clark being a bit better than Benson. I am sure Benson would like that goal back he gave up to Jasiek. I do not believe he was ready for it, given the angle of it, between the bottom of the circle and goal line. I think Jasiek's shot actually banked off Benson's far leg as he opened up to the butterfly and trickles in five hole. The goal is listed as unassisted but credit Rutherford for tying his D man and creating the turnover for Jasiek. Also it helps the Jasiek is left handed to help his angle of shot. I do not believe a righty would have scored there. Good call by the coaches to have Jasiek (winger) take the offensive draw vs Baker (center and righty).

While 1-0 from afar seems boring, it was quite the opposite as the game opened up with normal course of actions and careless turnovers by both teams, more from BG leading Grade A scoring chances which both goalies stymied and also uncovered offensive players in slot area. McMann looked like a beast early but was finally neutralized. Jasiek as mentioned earlier in post is getting hot at the right time and seems to be developing some chemistry with Baker and Rutherford. Rutherford and Jasiek are similar type players (smallish but play-making and sees the game alike).

The Good:
          - playing a tight game and finally rewarded with a goal midway through 3rd
          - after scoring protecting lead as Benson couldn't even get out of his goal for a EA until maybe 30 seconds remaining
          - Clark (best player on ice) was a stud and bested Benson

The Bad:
          - Graber is way off and so is Forman and Sellar; the Tree Line looked like a stump; although towards the end did well in cycle and protecting lead
          - careless turnovers with minimal pressure in D zone
          - Less is still recovery in process; Roth seems to relaxed in D zone; Matthews has be careful of his transitions and falling
          - PP was awful again especially the second unit with passes and entries

Let's carry this little bit of "MO" to Elynah and get out of dodge with a W before the storm. I am sure the Cornell will be looking to avenge the previous meeting so please weather the first five minutes of game.

Comment

BG gets snowed in figuratively and literally as they lose to the Big Red. Red was the better team as they play with structure and play it well. The first period was pretty even although Red had 1-0 lead as a BG player (Matthews should have taken low guy and Hesler should have taken high guy) loses his mark and gets in for a easy rebound. It seemed like BG went man to man in D zone as both Yau (high slot) and Matthews (corner) covered their man. Then to start the second BG converts with a delay penalty and EA with Brendan Demler ramming home a rebound (congrats to Demler on his first collegiate goal). And this might be the killer. BG now goes on the PP with momentum only to stink it up on the ensuing PP. Actually it so bad that Red gained momentum. Then a couple of penalties: hooking on Forman which I did not see (away from the play I think) leads to a PP goal as BG loses coverage in goal mouth (when in doubt always protect the house). Then this is very questionable as BG had offensive pressure and the puck pops high in the air and Graber, all of 6'5" reach up to glove it down. The ref says he closed his hand on it. This rarely called and when it is called, it is due to a player gaining an unfair advantage ie. gloving and dropping it down in the opposite direction of defending player. That was not the case here as Graber gloves it down and puts it down in the same direction he was skating (no stop and start). Of course Red scores on the ensuing PP. Tough calls but BG has to play through it and that's by killing the PP. Clark has got to make that save on Red's third goal. Third was unevenful except maybe for a non-call as Yau is boarded from behind, in live action it looked like a 2-minute boarding as even the announcers said so but no call even after review.

As the announcers suggested many times, this play was uninviting marred by faulty executions. Could it be the move up to 3pm? As it turned out, BG had to stay anyway. If (big if and makes why it was moved) it was a played at the regular scheduled time it would have made for a better game game with better legs/play. Players have their routines! Let's be very clear, this is NOT way BG lost as Red was clearly the better team.

Travel safely home BG!

Comment

• Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
              BG gets snowed in figuratively and literally as they lose to the Big Red. Red was the better team as they play with structure and play it well. The first period was pretty even although Red had 1-0 lead as a BG player (Matthews should have taken low guy and Hesler should have taken high guy) loses his mark and gets in for a easy rebound. It seemed like BG went man to man in D zone as both Yau (high slot) and Matthews (corner) covered their man. Then to start the second BG converts with a delay penalty and EA with Brendan Demler ramming home a rebound (congrats to Demler on his first collegiate goal). And this might be the killer. BG now goes on the PP with momentum only to stink it up on the ensuing PP. Actually it so bad that Red gained momentum. Then a couple of penalties: hooking on Forman which I did not see (away from the play I think) leads to a PP goal as BG loses coverage in goal mouth (when in doubt always protect the house). Then this is very questionable as BG had offensive pressure and the puck pops high in the air and Graber, all of 6'5" reach up to glove it down. The ref says he closed his hand on it. This rarely called and when it is called, it is due to a player gaining an unfair advantage ie. gloving and dropping it down in the opposite direction of defending player. That was not the case here as Graber gloves it down and puts it down in the same direction he was skating (no stop and start). Of course Red scores on the ensuing PP. Tough calls but BG has to play through it and that's by killing the PP. Clark has got to make that save on Red's third goal. Third was unevenful except maybe for a non-call as Yau is boarded from behind, in live action it looked like a 2-minute boarding as even the announcers said so but no call even after review.

As the announcers suggested many times, this play was uninviting marred by faulty executions. Could it be the move up to 3pm? As it turned out, BG had to stay anyway. If (big if and makes why it was moved) it was a played at the regular scheduled time it would have made for a better game game with better legs/play. Players have their routines! Let's be very clear, this is NOT way BG lost as Red was clearly the better team.

Travel safely home BG!
              Good game summary. Both teams may have been a bit off by the change in routine. Cornell was also decimated by injuries, as the 7th defenseman was used as 4th line center and Cornell didn’t dress a 19th player.

I can understand Dartmouth being frustrated by the delay of game penalty, as I’ve never seen that called in the offensive zone. Typically it’s called (and rarely at that) when a defender covers up the puck around the net.

Comment

More Random Thoughts on the BG

Graber and his Tree Line should be broken up for now as all three are ineffective of late
                Maybe try this Jasiek / Graber / Rutherford; two smallish skill guys with Graber to speed up his pace; also he doesn't need to carry the puck
                Hesler's line is inconsistent as Losurdo's early productivity has dried up; O'Connor has individual skill but needs to learn how to play in control setting
                Maybe try this O'Connor / Hesler / Baker; Baker with the grit; Hesler 200 ft responsible; let O'Connor reign free so to speak
                At this point why not try LeSueur S Hesler and Ernsting as bottom 6 have not been producing although I understand you need a checking line
                On a whim, Sellar / Ernsting / LeSueur or S Hesler; two skills guys with a the best puck retrieval guy and big and lengthy
                Finally, Kilistoff with the remainder of Warpecha, Strong, and Blankemeir; Losurdo deserves to be up there but let's see how this plays out

As for the D, they just don't have the horses so pairing are way more difficult
                Why break up Yau/Matthews; best +/- on team and best offensive pair by far
                Same for Demler/Markell; usually up against top line
                Less after a tough start coming back from IR had his best game yesterday; Roth plays a lot on the wrong side of the puck in D zone; Han has O skills

Clark is good but can be that much better if not letting in bad goals, like yesterday's third; yes two consecutive shut outs are awesome

Comment

It's Game Day Weekend! BG plays hosts St Lawrence and Clarkson. They better overlook St. Lawrence and forging ahead to Clarkson. If so, they are "trapped". Either way, let's hope there are some line up changes/tweaks because what was out there was not working too well. Jasiek must continue his hot hand until Graber gets out of his funk. Baker needs to start producing points as well. Team D with goaltending included must be solid. And finally, special teams must be at bare minimum be even and hopefully in the plus category. Yes, PK it is you we are talking about!
                  Let's goooooooo BIG Green!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post

This was a good review.

I never saw the delay penalty and thought at the time that was a bad break for Dartmouth. I also really enjoyed watching Graber play. He does some interesting stuff both with and without the puck.

Dartmouth lined up against the Red very well in Hanover and I was surprised (pleased) that we handled them fairly easily at Lynah. As far as I'm concerned Dartmouth was the better of the two teams we faced last weekend, and I can see them surprising somebody in the post-season.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      This was a good review.

I never saw the delay penalty and thought at the time that was a bad break for Dartmouth. I also really enjoyed watching Graber play. He does some interesting stuff both with and without the puck.

Dartmouth lined up against the Red very well in Hanover and I was surprised (pleased) that we handled them fairly easily at Lynah. As far as I'm concerned Dartmouth was the better of the two teams we faced last weekend, and I can see them surprising somebody in the post-season.
                      Thanks Kep! BG has to find a way to bounce back from adversity...it's a learning that they will have to improve to do well moving forward.
                      Yes, Graber has world's of talent for a big lanky guy...can skate with good hands. However, he is in a major funk now and BG needs him to regain his touch for them to get deep in ECAC playoffs.

Good Luck on your Big Red as again they are poised and seasoned to go deep!

Comment

BG spanks St.Lawrence 4-1 although the score does not do it justice as it is quite misleading. BG puts up over 50 shots and many were of the Grade A variety only to either have Brey stoned them or Brey was just positioned so well to have BG"s shots find his crest. St. Lawrence had a terrible time getting out of their D zone, through a combo of BG's forecheck and St. L careless passes and individual TO's in D zone.

The GOOD:

- BG finally took advantage of their good skating ability against a bigger and slower (not a good skating team); making plays
                        - Jasiek's is on fire with his linemates of Baker and Rutherford; they are the best line now
                        - Yau/Matthews are making plays from the back end and also in their O zone; this would be critical moving forward

Improvements:

- Better finishing after pummeling 50 shots and netting only 4 goals with one banking off a defender's skate

Clarkson's will be mad after coming back and ultimately losing in OT to Harvard but maybe also a bit tired making the over 2 hours post game to Hanover last night. Let's goooooo BIG Green!

Comment

- Better finishing after pummeling 50 shots and netting only 4 goals with one banking off a defender's skate
                          Great recap. This one's gonna be big tonight: have to cash in on opportunities against a goalie like Kielly.

BG brought it last year against Clarkson. The game in Potsdam was one of Clark's best games. They'll need him to be at that level again tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                            Great recap. This one's gonna be big tonight: have to cash in on opportunities against a goalie like Kielly.

BG brought it last year against Clarkson. The game in Potsdam was one of Clark's best games. They'll need him to be at that level again tonight.
                            For sure GreenBear! If's If's and more If's...Carl H on his breakaway center ice in although Carl had his head up the whole time. Sometimes you just have to credit the goalie and that's the case here. Jasiek's on PP in prime scoring position (given his hotness who knows) but his indecisiveness led to losing the puck, etc

Comment

Clarkson comes into town and gets out of town with 2-0 victory in a very very close contested game. It looked and felt like playoff hockey. I would have to say maybe and just slightly Clarkson was the better team last night although out shot. Kiely was not only the best player on the ice but was the difference in the game. There was very little open ice the the entire game and when there was both goalies came up big. Both teams played with discipline, structure, and focus.

Egle comes in on a partial 2 on 1 with Markell playing right from center ice on in to the top of the circle as Strong was busting his butt on the backcheck. Egle then snipes top short corner for the goal. In retrospect and this is nitpicking, Clark could have played tighter to the post as Markell body positioning covered the far post. But like I said it was such a snipe that it probably would have scored anyway. Then a little later O'Connor springs C Helser for breakaway center ice in with Markell trailing, essentially a 2 on 0. Hesler's was composed with head up the entire way and goes high glove which Kiely snares. This is a big IF... if Hesler scores there I believe the BG comes back and wins. Additionally, BG had other potential chances only to fizzle at the end with not even a shot attempt. Most of BG's looks were forward and not back as in trailers and/or low to high (point). Kilistoff tries a tough wrap around only to have Clarkson protecting the house with 5 men, leaving Matthews and Yau wide open at the point. Then Clarkson scores at ES although it was to a PP ending with Clark getting beat short side.

Thoughts:

- Effort was there for the BG despite maybe the legs not matching up but understandable for both teams
                              - Sturm although not spectacular with the WOWS was very good; very little if any mistakes
                              - Tree Line is a mess and like a said before a shake/break up is in order; Graber is meeting his match each game
                              - Kilistoff's line (checking I think and maybe up against top lines) is losing that battle
                              - Roth was the best player for BG last night helping ignite O from the back end; still a little scary defending deep in D zone
                              - There is some leaks in Demler's game with the puck deep in D zone; tries to be to cute and gets in trouble; play it simple
                              - Losurdo might have hit freshman wall or maybe hurt but either way not even close to the same player at the beginning of season

Comment

Good write up as usual, BG.

Tree Line is a mess and like a said before a shake/break up is in order; Graber is meeting his match each game.
                                I'd be shocked if he's not playing through injury. And that's hurting Sellar more than Foreman, as Foreman is able to create more for himself than is Sellar. Shane needs his set up man. He's working hard, though, that's for sure.

Losurdo might have hit freshman wall or maybe hurt but either way not even close to the same player at the beginning of season
                                Heard on good authority that he's definitely coming off an injury. Asked why not insert Sam Hesler, because I was annoyed that he'd played so well and got benched, and got a logical response--he wasn't "benched". Sam is hurt as well.

Dartmouth looked very good this weekend. Saw the game Saturday live, Friday on the stream....I think that's been the best two-game span I've seen so far. If they can keep it up and follow the "peak in the 2nd half of the season" routine that has been the story the last 2-3 seasons, this is a team that could under the right circumstances be a tough out in the playoffs. The thing is, they need consistency, and that's what we haven't seen enough of yet.

Harvard on Friday. I think the Big Green come away with points.

Comment

Working...
                                X