No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

I came up from RI to see this one last night. As usual, you make many very good points, and a couple I'd quibble with. I'll start w/ the latter:

-As you mentioned, I do think you're somewhat too harsh on Clark and expect him to be make NHL-type stops. That's not who he is--he isn't Oettinger, or his fellow Stars prospect Colton Point, or Matt Galajda, etc. He is, however, an excellent NCAA D-1 goalie and I fully believe we're more solid in goal that we were last year. And that's no knock on Buffalo, who I thought was a great backbone for this team all last season. I'd almost...almost....put him in Charles Grant territory, and in fact would say Clark is better when he's on, but Grant (his senior year anyway was more consistent). I don't blame him for any of the 3 goals he allowed, including the opener where his D hung him out to dry.
    -O'Connor was flat-footed on one goal; he also saved one with a great defensive play knocking a puck off the goal line. I wouldn't mind seeing him play with Graber as a way to maybe energize both. Sellar is right now not able to do anything offensively: one goal since the opener, and that was playing with Hesler. Graber has one point in a month. Maybe give it a try with Graber and one or both of the freshmen, if they want to try Losurdo up there too. I don't know--the scoring doldrums we saw about this time last year are back again.
    -Less will help the defense, but you're right: he was rusty last night (and his turnover showed it). He'll be an asset moving forward.
    -One guy you didn't single out is Matt Baker, who is stone cold right now, and last night had a real hard time getting any opportunities. It stood out to me, so I looked it up--3 goals in his last 24 games. He has been a scratch a couple of times, and I have to think that's why--not lack of production (other guys aren't cashing in either) but lack of production from a guy who is looked at as one of the top 4 forwards on this team and has been an NHL camp invitee. He's not, and they need him to start being the sniper that he was for a stretch mid-season last year.

The break will be good for these guys. And if it's any consolation (it isn't much, but still) at least this funk has happened in non-conference games that don't impact their ECAC points.

Comment

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Originally posted by DLG View Post
      Disappointing year for both teams
      Not yet. This month has been disappointing. But the Big Green's season is completely about their ECAC schedule. A bad run where they lose a bunch of non-conference games isn't really impactful.

If this slide continues into January, then yeah--things will get disappointing awfully quickly, considering where last year's team left the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
        I came up from RI to see this one last night. As usual, you make many very good points, and a couple I'd quibble with. I'll start w/ the latter:

-As you mentioned, I do think you're somewhat too harsh on Clark and expect him to be make NHL-type stops. That's not who he is--he isn't Oettinger, or his fellow Stars prospect Colton Point, or Matt Galajda, etc. He is, however, an excellent NCAA D-1 goalie and I fully believe we're more solid in goal that we were last year. And that's no knock on Buffalo, who I thought was a great backbone for this team all last season. I'd almost...almost....put him in Charles Grant territory, and in fact would say Clark is better when he's on, but Grant (his senior year anyway was more consistent). I don't blame him for any of the 3 goals he allowed, including the opener where his D hung him out to dry.
        -O'Connor was flat-footed on one goal; he also saved one with a great defensive play knocking a puck off the goal line. I wouldn't mind seeing him play with Graber as a way to maybe energize both. Sellar is right now not able to do anything offensively: one goal since the opener, and that was playing with Hesler. Graber has one point in a month. Maybe give it a try with Graber and one or both of the freshmen, if they want to try Losurdo up there too. I don't know--the scoring doldrums we saw about this time last year are back again.
        -Less will help the defense, but you're right: he was rusty last night (and his turnover showed it). He'll be an asset moving forward.
        -One guy you didn't single out is Matt Baker, who is stone cold right now, and last night had a real hard time getting any opportunities. It stood out to me, so I looked it up--3 goals in his last 24 games. He has been a scratch a couple of times, and I have to think that's why--not lack of production (other guys aren't cashing in either) but lack of production from a guy who is looked at as one of the top 4 forwards on this team and has been an NHL camp invitee. He's not, and they need him to start being the sniper that he was for a stretch mid-season last year.

The break will be good for these guys. And if it's any consolation (it isn't much, but still) at least this funk has happened in non-conference games that don't impact their ECAC points.
        Hey GreenBear, I hear you about Clark. Like you aptly stated, he is not NHL quality like the goalies you mentioned but rightly or wrongly, Clark has been out-goaltended by many of the so-called "lesser" losses (teams below .500). But also to your point Clark overall has been good and way better than Ferguson. And also yes to Clark being better than Buffalo.

I agree with you on Baker and I have pointed him and Rutherford out on previous post. And I didn't know that he was a prospect invitee at an NHL camp; good for and by him but he does need to step it up. He plays with an edge and physicality that is suited for him being down low on the PP and with him and Sellar with net presence. Remember some of his goals last year were of the tip in variety on the PP.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
          I agree with you on Baker and I have pointed him and Rutherford out on previous post. And I didn't know that he was a prospect invitee at an NHL camp; good for and by him but he does need to step it up. He plays with an edge and physicality that is suited for him being down low on the PP and with him and Sellar with net presence. Remember some of his goals last year were of the tip in variety on the PP.
          I missed you mentioning Baker (and wasn't intending to suggest that you should or shouldn't have--just that he was one I noticed outside of those you'd just mentioned). He went to Vegas Golden Knights camp as an undrafted invite; no idea if he turned any heads there, but just getting an invite was impressive enough. I do think he'll start scoring; I have the feeling that he may be a streaky player. If the PP gets going, Baker may heat up as well, but right now, the power play has been pretty anemic. I'm not sure if Baker's lack of production lately is more resulting from the lack of PP success or is more a factor in it. I do hope he starts filling the net in the new year (or more accurately, he can start just before if he'd like at the Ledyard).

I don't think Rutherford is getting the ice time he was last year, which may be a part of why he hasn't been in the offensive mix. Also not playing on the 2nd line as often.

Here's another thing: we have one goal from our defensemen. One. I know last year we didn't exactly get a ton of scoring from the back end, either, but we did have Tim Shoup. Yau and Less set up plenty (and Yau has continued to, and will almost certainly surpass his career best 12 assists his sophomore year), but the one goal the Big Green do have is a prayer from Han against Yale that happened to go in.

There are plenty of positives to like about the Big Green this year, recent slide notwithstanding. But I do hope that as has been the trend recently, the BG improve after the break. And if they do, and do get depth scoring, some offense from defense, and have even a respectable power play combined with the ability of Clark to play consistently at his best, then this team is an upper-echelon ECAC team. We who closely follow the club see that possibility; it's just that a few things have to simultaneously happen for them to get there. It's possible, and in fact it mostly was the case last season, which is why we're at this point of "Placid or the year is a letdown". It'll be intriguing to see how things play out.

Looking forward to the Ledyard already.

Comment

Hey GreenBear, thanks for your thoughts and giving a different and much needed perspective on the BG! And 100% agreed on your point with the BG needing some supplemental scoring help from the backline; you have pointed out puck distributors in Yau and Less and I would like to add a sleeper in Matthews but you would need to pair him with a defensive, stay at home D (just like with Han). Matthews can carry the puck as good as any D man BG has. So with all this said, let's some have some fun and tinker with the line ups: (cannot hurt as we are in a mid season funk)

G Clark
            D Yau/Less Demler/Markell Matthews/Han/Roth (3 man rotation and let it play itself out)
            F O'Connor/Graber/Rutherford
            Jasiek/Hesler/Forman
            Sellar/Baker/Losurdo
            Warpecha/Kilistoff/Strong
            Ernsting, Michalowski, Blankemeier waiting in the wings
            Freshmen S Hesler and LeSueur needs to get at least a fighting chance to show what they can do

Thoughts GreenBear and Backwater???

Comment

It's Ledyard Classic Weekend with a twist as the games will be played on Saturday and Sunday this year! Enclosed are the particular details:

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/201...-thompson.aspx

Here is what I hoped Santa dropped off for the BG:

1. Much and improved and potent PP as the PK steadily improved; must win or bare minimum break even on the special teams point differential each game

2. Have to get Graber going...if he gets going so will the Tree Line or whoever is on his line

3. As to GreenBear's point, imperative for supplemental D scoring (goals and primary assists) as in Yau, Han, Matthews, , Markell, etc

4. Clark to win and be even in the goaltending battle with opposing D each game and tighter D zone recognition, responsibilities, and coverage

5. SKATE SKATE SKATE as the BG is a good skating team with good up and down speed; have fun in the game!

Were you NAUGHTY or NICE? Let's get a NICE pair of W's this weekend and bring home the Ledyard!

Comment

A huge BG win as they take down Army 5-2! BG controlled the play throughout this one and looked like they were having fun as they FOI ( find open ice) which let’s their player with speed and skill make plays and that is exactly what happened last night. Balanced scoring all throughout line up as the Hesler dominated , Tree Line dominated possession but couldn’t find the back of net ( (Forman’s goal came from a nice feed from Jasiek), plenty of D men on the score sheet with Matthews scoring his first collegiate goal ( he was one of the best players on the ice last night), and Clark outplaying his opponent. All this adds up to a BG W! While the PP did not score (actually they did only to have a review reverse it) they looked good and finally dangerous, propelled with Graber and Yau making the puck and play making decisions.

I think it is safe to say that tonight will be a totally different game as Providence will be much more structured and better and the BG will be less likely to FOI. If the BG plays like that did last night, this will be a tight game one goal game. They keys have not changed so...Let’s Go BIG GREEN! Bring home the Ledyard!

Comment

A little tardy on this post. BG loses to Providence in the Ledyard Final. Providence was the better team and the best team BG has played thus far. They are fast and relentless. Their will and determination were off the charts. They won most 50/50 board puck battles and puck support was awesome In quite the contrast to the night before, BG had very little time and space and puck pursuit and pressure by the Friars caused major havoc for the BG and stunned then early on until they were finally able to acclimate to it. That all being said, BG actually led after one 2-1 with goals from Jasiek (heating up) and Yau (blueliners are scoring now) and more than holding their own. Then the threaded 5 minutes in the second. While on the PP, Friars wraps the puck around the boards and Yau desperately tries ties in vain to keep it in but could not and it gets past him for a 2 on 0 breakaway SH with weak side Graber trailing. Shot rebound and goal. Then Friars turns it on ( BG in shock) scores three more to get a comfy lead at 5-2 . So what turned out to be. 2-1 lead and on PP leads to a 5-2 deficit. Friars then pull back in the third and protects the lead with Graber getting a late goal.

This should be a good learning experience for the BG:
                  Coming back a taking lead
                  Losing lead and composure
                  What the bar can be as shown by the Friars especially the intangibles of WILL and Determination
                  No shame in losing to the Friars except for those vital 5 minutes

Happy New Year BG!!!! No to get down to the heart of the ECAC schedule and posturing .

Comment

A little tardy on this post. BG loses to Providence in the Ledyard Final. Providence was the better team and the best team BG has played thus far. They are fast and relentless. Their will and determination were off the charts. They won most 50/50 board puck battles and puck support was awesome In quite the contrast to the night before, BG had very little time and space and puck pursuit and pressure by the Friars caused major havoc for the BG and stunned then early on until they were finally able to acclimate to it. That all being said, BG actually led after one 2-1 with goals from Jasiek (heating up) and Yau (blueliners are scoring now) and more than holding their own. Then the threaded 5 minutes in the second. While on the PP, Friars wraps the puck around the boards and Yau desperately tries ties in vain to keep it in but could not and it gets past him for a 2 on 0 breakaway SH with weak side Graber trailing. Shot rebound and goal. Then Friars turns it on ( BG in shock) scores three more to get a comfy lead at 5-2 . So what turned out to be. 2-1 lead and on PP leads to a 5-2 deficit. Friars then pull back in the third and protects the lead with Graber getting a late goal.

This should be a good learning experience for the BG:
                    Coming back a taking lead
                    Losing lead and composure
                    What the bar can be as shown by the Friars especially the intangibles of WILL and Determination
                    No shame in losing to the Friars except for those vital 5 minutes

Happy New Year BG!!!! No to get down to the heart of the ECAC schedule and posturing .
                    Great post. It was a pretty darn good weekend overall....except for those 5 minutes.

On to Bentley to avenge the worst loss of the season last year, I hope.....

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                      Great post. It was a pretty darn good weekend overall....except for those 5 minutes.

On to Bentley to avenge the worst loss of the season last year, I hope.....
                      Are you visiting our new arena?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Are you visiting our new arena?
                        It does not specify but I am assuming and hope so.

Comment

The game is at Bentley's new rink, yes. I may be able to make the trip up--hope so.

Comment

It's Game Day as the BG travels to Bentley! As the GreenBear stated previously, the BG looks to avenge a terrible loss to Bentley last year in Hanover. The BG is coming off a good weekend of hockey, beating Army and losing to Providence. They looked fast and re-energized. Can they capture those key learnings for the game vs Providence? This is start of the New Year and all accounts the BG has under-performed thus far this season but one thing about Gaudet's teams is that they usually play better on the back half. Let's goooooo BIG GREEN!

Comment

It's Game Day as the BG travels to Bentley! As the GreenBear stated previously, the BG looks to avenge a terrible loss to Bentley last year in Hanover. The BG is coming off a good weekend of hockey, beating Army and losing to Providence. They looked fast and re-energized. Can they capture those key learnings for the game vs Providence? This is start of the New Year and all accounts the BG has under-performed thus far this season but one thing about Gaudet's teams is that they usually play better on the back half. Let's goooooo BIG GREEN!
                              Safe travels. Should be plenty of parking adjacent to arena. Bentley on semester break for another week, so should be lots of available seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Safe travels. Should be plenty of parking adjacent to arena. Bentley on semester break for another week, so should be lots of available seats.
                                Thanks Snive! You guys should be commended on playing a gutsy game and battling back! Good luck moving forward!

Comment

Working...
                                X