No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

OK! Let's get this party started now that the boys are back in session! The BIG Green will look to build on last season's achievements where they lost to Harvard in the ECAC semi's after taking game one but couldn't seal the deal. They graduated one key player in each zone (goalie, D, and F) but certainly have the horses to overcome these losses. Out of the three, the biggest ? is the goaltending. Can someone step up be the "guy", someone that the exudes confidence not only in himself but also his teammates, someone that makes the routine saves, and timely saves on the difficult chances? Other than that almost all the D and F's are returning supplemented by a freshman crew. That said, these two groups should be better and more improved as they get bigger and stronger but more importantly, figuring out what it takes "between the ears" to not only play competitively but EXCEL at the collegiate level. Hopefully they can impart these traits to the freshmen to minimize their transition time.

The ARROWS are pointing straight NORTH for the BIG Green this season!!!

Thoughts GreenBear?

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

6th in the media poll, 8th in the coaches.

Harvard got a 1st place vote? How?

We'll see. I think Dartmouth is being undervalued here, but I suppose with a new goalie, it's to be expected.

Comment

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
      6th in the media poll, 8th in the coaches.

Harvard got a 1st place vote? How?

We'll see. I think Dartmouth is being undervalued here, but I suppose with a new goalie, it's to be expected.

Well the stone has been cast! I cannot speak for the coaching staff and players but if this is NOT bulletin board material I don't know what is. It seems as though the Big Green can never get that RESPECT! Look I get it, it has to be earned and earned consistently on and off the ice. So moving forward, their mantra should be "Prove Them Wrong!" as the season progresses. The coaches must think that last season was an anomaly even though on paper the Big Green should be greatly improved (save for goalie ???) this season and as posted below. Personally, I believe these pre-season polls is all about reputation and the good old boys club. Let's go BIG GREEN and Prove Them Wrong!

Comment

Hello everyone! It might be a little early for it, but I'm pumped, so I've kicked off this year's ECAC Pick the Standings contest! If you are somehow new here, it's a super simple game where you just predict the standings and whoever is closest wins like $1000 gets to brag about it in their signature forever. Join in!
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Dartmouth announces captains. No big surprises: I expected Kilistoff to continue to wear the C and figured the returning Carl Hesler would get an A. That happened. I wasn't sure who the 2nd A would go to, but I think Yau is a very good choice.

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/201...19-season.aspx

On the team itself, I'll probably turn up at the exhibition against the US U-18's and get a look at some of the players. Hard to speculate on much of anything without seeing that first.

Comment

Dartmouth announces captains. No big surprises: I expected Kilistoff to continue to wear the C and figured the returning Carl Hesler would get an A. That happened. I wasn't sure who the 2nd A would go to, but I think Yau is a very good choice.

On the team itself, I'll probably turn up at the exhibition against the US U-18's and get a look at some of the players. Hard to speculate on much of anything without seeing that first.
            100% agreed that is trio of leadership is the right fit, based on tenure, total games played, actions/demeanor on the ice, etc. Additionally, coaches are made the wise choice of a Forward and Defensive Alternates. I am very much looking forward for Carl Hesler to get back into the fray and helping out an experienced team take that next step!

Comment

[QUOTE=GreenBear;6700456]Dartmouth announces captains. No big surprises: I expected Kilistoff to continue to wear the C and figured the returning Carl Hesler would get an A. That happened. I wasn't sure who the 2nd A would go to, but I think Yau is a very good choice.

OK GreenBear! Let's have some fun with this and I will start with the speculating. Starting with the tenured and matured leadership of Kilistoff, Hesler, and Yau, the season is off to a very good start, only going by seeing their actions on the ice and on the bench. This trio will provide good role models and mentorships to the freshmen and also those upperclassmen to take that vital next steps in their development. While I understand it is way too early, let's have some fun in projecting line ups: (this will only include upperclassmen as I have not seen the freshmen)

G Clark

D Yau/Han L/R combo with balanced offensive and defensive abilities
              Matthews/Less same as above
              Demler/Roth one Defensive Dman and Offensive D man
              Markell, Dimaio

F Sellar/Graber/Baker Tree line splintered, Baker can provide more speed
              Jasiek/Hesler/Rutherford Smurf line skilled with Hesler smart and responsible 200ft player
              Warpecha/Kilistoff/Forman Grind line halted, Forman adds more size and scoring punch
              Strong/Ernsting/Michalowski Ernsting needs to regain confidence, like in juniors
              the freshmen forwards

Comment

Just popping in to advertise the ECAC Pick the Standings contest again. It's a super simple game that takes like 1 minute of thought to play. Entrance is allowed through the first ECAC matches at the end of the month, but feel free to make a guess now and revise later. Thanks!
                RPI Pep Band
                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Plugging the ECAC Pick the Standings contest again. All you have to do is guess what the final standings will be! Entries close in a couple weeks when the puck drops on the conference slate. Thanks!
                  RPI Pep Band
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Probably the second-to-last time that I'll spam the ECAC Pick the Standings contest. Only one week remains until the first ECAC contest of the season, so get your picks (or revisions) in soon!
                    RPI Pep Band
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Well, it is the night before Game Day; yes on a Monday night. The U-18 NTDP comes into town after beating Harvard 6-3 on Saturday night. Some hockey folks has said this might be the best ever U-18 team the program has ever assembled, quite lofty but I get the point. They feature the consensus #1 overall in Jack Hughes, not quite generational but very good and probably 8 others going in the first round, with possibly the entire team getting drafted. That said, that's why you play the game! Yes a BIG Green win would be huge but more importantly, they come together and start developing some chemistry on and off the ice while still learning. Coming out of the game unscathed would also be a boost. Thoughts GreenBear?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                        Well, it is the night before Game Day; yes on a Monday night. The U-18 NTDP comes into town after beating Harvard 6-3 on Saturday night. Some hockey folks has said this might be the best ever U-18 team the program has ever assembled, quite lofty but I get the point. They feature the consensus #1 overall in Jack Hughes, not quite generational but very good and probably 8 others going in the first round, with possibly the entire team getting drafted. That said, that's why you play the game! Yes a BIG Green win would be huge but more importantly, they come together and start developing some chemistry on and off the ice while still learning. Coming out of the game unscathed would also be a boost. Thoughts GreenBear?

Watched the ESPN feed of this game. Very impressed with Losurdo and Markell especially among the new guys, and O'Connor as well. Carl Hesler had a goal and 2 helpers: played with Losurdo and Jasiek quite a bit tonight. Usual top line of Graber, Seller and Foreman were dangerous; didn't score. But considering the team got 4 and none were from the top line, I'd say that's a good thing for a club that last year struggled to find scoring depth. I think that'll be much improved this year. Clark looked very good in goal; Ferguson looked like a talented guy who was starting his first college game, and having him hung out to dry at times facing Jack Hughes leading a 2x1, well....that'll be a goal most of the time regardless of who is in net.

Charlie Mickalowski was playing defense. Brandon Less wasn't in uniform. Broadcast didn't mention why that I heard anyway--hopefully just a virus or something and not a more substantial injury. But I'd have to think that if he could have played tonight he would have.

More later....but this was a ton better feeling than I had last year when I went to the game with the US team and the Big Green were blown out.
                        This made me even more excited to see the real season start.

Comment

Where was the crowd tonight? I watched on ESPN + and couldn’t believe all the empty seats. I realize that it was an exhibition, but are there really that many other things to do in Hanover on a Monday night?

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                            Where was the crowd tonight? I watched on ESPN + and couldn’t believe all the empty seats. I realize that it was an exhibition, but are there really that many other things to do in Hanover on a Monday night?
                            Thompson has not really been a big draw and like you stated, it was on a Monday night! No excuses though and the only way to change that is to put a solid product on and off the ice backed by solid marketing. The process is starting....

Comment

Watched the ESPN feed of this game. Very impressed with Losurdo and Markell especially among the new guys, and O'Connor as well. Carl Hesler had a goal and 2 helpers: played with Losurdo and Jasiek quite a bit tonight. Usual top line of Graber, Seller and Foreman were dangerous; didn't score. But considering the team got 4 and none were from the top line, I'd say that's a good thing for a club that last year struggled to find scoring depth. I think that'll be much improved this year. Clark looked very good in goal; Ferguson looked like a talented guy who was starting his first college game, and having him hung out to dry at times facing Jack Hughes leading a 2x1, well....that'll be a goal most of the time regardless of who is in net.

Charlie Mickalowski was playing defense. Brandon Less wasn't in uniform. Broadcast didn't mention why that I heard anyway--hopefully just a virus or something and not a more substantial injury. But I'd have to think that if he could have played tonight he would have.

More later....but this was a ton better feeling than I had last year when I went to the game with the US team and the Big Green were blown out.
                              This made me even more excited to see the real season start.
                              Agreed with most of your assessment! The Hesler line was by far the Big Green's best line. It is nicely constructed with Jasiek as the smallish skill guy, Losurdo the bigger forward digging out pucks and making plays from them, and Hesler, the prototypical two way 200ft forward. Welcome back Carl! The Tree Line had their moments but I believed they should have gotten more zone time with their reach and length. Their zone entries were not good. They should have owned the ice below the dots but didn't consistently last night. The other lines were mix and match I believe and hard to tell although when Ernsting was on the ice, offensive things happened which is a great sign. A little uneven efforts from Baker and Rutherford; they will come around.

The D was OK last night. Yau was the their best overall, not because he scored but because of his solid positioning, play recognition, and active stick. Markell played like Less did last year (solid if unspectacular) which is a good thing for a D. Like anything else, the group has to make better decisions as against a talented group like the U-18's. Demler went for the open hit on Hughes and missed leading to an easy goal. Dimaio indecisiveness in the neutral zone led to a slight breakway as he neither got puck or man. Han has some nice plays in D zone but was caught up either activating or watching led to counter goals by the U-18's. Interesting on Michalowski playing D and it helps that he is right handed. Hope you are right on Less?

Clark and Ferguson in net were very good and not in awe and they did not look shaky in their saves or even in GA. This might be the biggest key takeaway.

In summation, this is probably one of the best the Big Green has looked this early as they usually don't round into shape until turn of the New Year. While it is only one game, they can certainly rally around and build off it for this weekend against Harvard. Oh BTW, Jack Hughes did live up to his lofty expectations; coming in from the off wing with his speed, skill, and moving lateral ability, Hughes is downright dangerous! Go BIG GREEN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X