This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    Those crappy jobs are for entry level, to either get you promoted higher within that company, or to get experience for a better job. Make no mistake, they are honest jobs, and I don't look down on them whatsoever (I worked many). However, it's not meant to be a job to make your living off of, and requires little skill. Those are facts.
    I am not a fan of this point of view because it essentially argues that certain people deserve to live in poverty. Some simply do not have the skills and/or are not in an environment privy to doing anything besides making burgers or stocking the Walmart shelves. Those people still deserve an adequate standard of living.

The general population is not suddenly going to stop striving for progress simply because working at the Golden Arches will finally earn enough to not be on food stamps. No one will be stopping themselves from becoming an accountant or engineer or lawyer because they could be making 30k manning the register. The entry level jobs aren’t going to magically become fun and cause people to stop wanting more mentally or physically stimulating professions. All we want is for the people who have to work those jobs to have a decent life.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Re: The States: At Least Michigan is Better Than Indiana

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      I am not a fan of this point of view because it essentially argues that certain people deserve to live in poverty. Some simply do not have the skills and/or are not in an environment privy to doing anything besides making burgers or stocking the Walmart shelves. Those people still deserve an adequate standard of living.

The general population is not suddenly going to stop striving for progress simply because working at the Golden Arches will finally earn enough to not be on food stamps. No one will be stopping themselves from becoming an accountant or engineer or lawyer because they could be making 30k manning the register. The entry level jobs aren’t going to magically become fun and cause people to stop wanting more mentally or physically stimulating professions. All we want is for the people who have to work those jobs to have a decent life.
      I can't agree with that point of view. They might not have the skills *yet*, which is what the entry levels jobs are for. That's where you learn and expand your skill set: flipping burgers teaches you organization, when it comes down to it. Sitting at the register teaches you people skills and customer service. That sort of thing.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        Those crappy jobs are for entry level, to either get you promoted higher within that company, or to get experience for a better job. Make no mistake, they are honest jobs, and I don't look down on them whatsoever (I worked many). However, it's not meant to be a job to make your living off of, and requires little skill. Those are facts.
        No they arent facts. Those jobs may have started out that way (and they didnt but I will indulge you) but in the real world plenty of people are working those jobs because they are out of work and cant find good employment. That is why when people post stupid crap on Facebook about McDonalds workers making $15 an hour I want to slap them across the face.

There is no job that can be worked 40 hours a week that should not pay a livable wage. That is the fact. It isnt like that is an exorbitant amount of money. All these restaurants and bars crying foul sound as stupid as they did when they said the smoking ban would destroy their businesses.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I can't agree with that point of view. They might not have the skills *yet*, which is what the entry levels jobs are for. That's where you learn and expand your skill set: flipping burgers teaches you organization, when it comes down to it. Sitting at the register teaches you people skills and customer service. That sort of thing.
          You understand that it isnt just young kids that work entry level jobs right? Been to a Target lately it is mostly older people working the crud jobs. Been to a fast food joint the last few years it aint just kids taking your order.

That is the problem with your point of you (and the people who whine about it on Facebook) they forget that plenty of adults in bad situations work those jobs to feed their friggin kids. How are they going to get more skills?

And as uno said, if the MW had just kept up with inflation it would be $12 right now anyways.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            You understand that it isnt just young kids that work entry level jobs right? Been to a Target lately it is mostly older people working the crud jobs. Been to a fast food joint the last few years it aint just kids taking your order.

That is the problem with your point of you (and the people who whine about it on Facebook) they forget that plenty of adults in bad situations work those jobs to feed their friggin kids. How are they going to get more skills?

And as uno said, if the MW had just kept up with inflation it would be $12 right now anyways.
            There is a big difference between $15 and $12.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah the first is a bare minimum livable wage in most cities and the other isn't.

Comment

There is a big difference between $15 and $12.
                There really isnt...and since most places arent going to $15 yet anyways it is a strawman. The large corporations that seem to hate this the most wont even feel it on their bottom line. And they get no sympathy from me they have been lobbying against this crap forever. If they had just allowed for raises as cost of living went up (or if they had just paid people better) none of this would be a problem. It will hit small businesses like my buddy's...but there are ways to get that back rather quickly.

Why do people who have to work these jobs deserve to NOT make a living wage? Leaving aside the kids that people like you Dillo seem to think should never make fair money...my father was working at Target just last year. He is highly skilled but other factors wont get him hired for "better jobs" but yet Target was paying him under what the COL was. I was looking for jobs just a couple years ago and I am highly skilled in multiple fields...the compensation for said jobs has been depressed beyond belief. Hell I have a Masters Degree now and it STILL is depressed in many fields. That isnt do to skill and it certainly isnt due to the minimum wage...it is due to one thing GREED.

I lived in Seattle when they started to roll out the $15 minimum wage...it hurt nothing. Hell I think they started it with like $13 at the airport (and there were the usual cries like the ones you are making) and nothing really changed. Well that isnt true, the workers were happier...but who really cares about those lowly fools.

Dont buy the hype and dont buy the propaganda...the short term hurt will lead to very long term gains.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

There really isnt...and since most places arent going to $15 yet anyways it is a strawman. The large corporations that seem to hate this the most wont even feel it on their bottom line. And they get no sympathy from me they have been lobbying against this crap forever. If they had just allowed for raises as cost of living went up (or if they had just paid people better) none of this would be a problem. It will hit small businesses like my buddy's...but there are ways to get that back rather quickly.

Why do people who have to work these jobs deserve to NOT make a living wage? Leaving aside the kids that people like you Dillo seem to think should never make fair money...my father was working at Target just last year. He is highly skilled but other factors wont get him hired for "better jobs" but yet Target was paying him under what the COL was. I was looking for jobs just a couple years ago and I am highly skilled in multiple fields...the compensation for said jobs has been depressed beyond belief. Hell I have a Masters Degree now and it STILL is depressed in many fields. That isnt do to skill and it certainly isnt due to the minimum wage...it is due to one thing GREED.

I lived in Seattle when they started to roll out the $15 minimum wage...it hurt nothing. Hell I think they started it with like $13 at the airport (and there were the usual cries like the ones you are making) and nothing really changed. Well that isnt true, the workers were happier...but who really cares about those lowly fools.

Dont buy the hype and dont buy the propaganda...the short term hurt will lead to very long term gains.
                  Good post. I also have a Master's Degree. Doesn't mean much.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    Good post. I also have a Master's Degree. Doesn't mean much.
                    I am lucky, since I teach in the State System so I am getting my MBA for free. Right now that is about the only thing that will help me if and when this adjunct faculty thing fizzles out.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I am lucky, since I teach in the State System so I am getting my MBA for free. Right now that is about the only thing that will help me if and when this adjunct faculty thing fizzles out.
                      I paid out of pocket for my Master's. Didn't really do anything for me. Probably my fault it didn't but I got it in '07 and the entire economy and my bank account went belly up in '08. Made me extremely skittish about the market (jobs, and economy). Just stayed where I am. I make my own hours pretty much and have tons of vacation time. I also for the most part like what I'm doing. I get to talk to a lot of people at a lot of other companies that are in positions in my field and I don't want the job they have. I'm in the wrong profession if you want real self actualization in your life. Came to terms with that about 5 years ago.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Brent, your big problem is that this:
                        Make no mistake, they are honest jobs, and I don't look down on them whatsoever (I worked many).
                        Does not line up with this:
                        Those crappy jobs are for entry level, to either get you promoted higher within that company, or to get experience for a better job... However, it's not meant to be a job to make your living off of, and requires little skill. Those are facts.
                        Is not very consistent to say “I don’t look down on them” and then immediately look down on them and say they don’t deserve a living wage.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

^^^

Rube, time to take the L, admit you don't really care about unskilled labor, and move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            ^^^

Rube, time to take the L, admit you don't really care about unskilled labor, and move on.
                            Easy there bud, it’s just a product of our misguided labor culture that can be changed with thoughtful discussion, not by being a dick.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Christ, I sounded like dx with that post.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                Easy there bud, it’s just a product of our misguided labor culture that can be changed with thoughtful discussion, not by being a dick.
                                lololololololololololololololol

Comment

Working...
                                X