Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: LSSU Lakers 2018-19

Re: LSSU Lakers 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by Deman View Post
    They've been complaining since day 1. Hell, they applied to the NCHC last year but were denied.

But I think the worst kept secret in college hockey is that there has to be another realignment. It's been talked about since we were forced to after Penn State came up, at least the western conferences - I think the east is pretty well set. But I also doubt the NCHC, WCHA, et al are going to do anything major until they know for sure what the heck is going to happen with Arizona State.

That being said, in the Mankato thread that was linked, it mentioned that BG wanted out too. If the WCHA were to lose both Mankato and Bowling Green, I'd like to see us get Western Michigan and Miami, but with Western doing good this year, I doubt they'd want to leave the conference even if the fee was waived.
    Yes, Mankato wants to join the NCHC and the former WCHA members support it. However, Andy Murray and Rico Blasi would not approve another MN team unless an "eastern" team (BG) could also be admitted. So, if Mankato and BG were to join the NCHC. Why would WMU or Miami want to replace them in the WCHA?

With the demise of the CCHA, travel costs for both increased but trading Denver, CC, and NoDak for Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Huntsville would probably be a non-starter. Many years the new WCHA gets only one team in the NCAA although this year it likely will be 2......possibly even 3 if the league championship has an upset winner. The NCHC gets 3-5 teams in and a 4th place finish usually is good enough to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    The season is fun watching the Lakers make a run for home ice and possibly having a shot at the NCAAs.
    Agreed. I decided to pay for the TV package and while a bit pricey, I dont regret it one bit. Its been fun watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarisland View Post
    Why would WMU or Miami want to replace them in the WCHA?
    Why? Because Miami has been in the NCHC's basement for most of it's existence, and Western is only starting to climb in the standings.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Why? Because Miami has been in the NCHC's basement for most of it's existence, and Western is only starting to climb in the standings.
    So can we start the rumor that GLIAC and MAC schools are forming the GLIMAC hockey conference?

The season is fun watching the Lakers make a run for home ice and possibly having a shot at the NCAAs.
    With a sweep over Bemidji, the Lakers could climb to 14 or 15 in the PWR with some help.

Coach Emeritus
    Hoping against hope for a stretch run like last season

Looking forward to being at Taffy Abel for the Saturday game against BSU this weekend.

Talking Re: LSSU Lakers 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Looking forward to being at Taffy Abel for the Saturday game against BSU this weekend.
    Lakers have yet to win a Saturday game at home, so if they win you would have to show up to all remaining Saturday home games.

Coach Emeritus
    Hoping against hope for a stretch run like last season

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Dude View Post
    Lakers have yet to win a Saturday game at home, so if they win you would have to show up to all remaining Saturday home games.
    I'll actually be at the next two in a row, so we'll test that theory.

With a sweep over Bemidji, the Lakers could climb to 14 or 15 in the PWR with some help.
    Bemidji has always been a tough game for the Lakers dating way back to the 60s .

glad to see the Lakers having some success. you got yourselves a good coach. wish he was still with us. Go UP!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

And the Beavers have had issues with Saturdays, only netting two sweeps on the year, at Anchorage and then last week at home against Tech.......
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

The irony here is that when the NCHC was forming Miami tried to block Western from getting in....not "elite" enough. Western hockey fans really love it when they beat Miami. Western is hanging on the edge (#13 Pairwise) They have been swept at Denver and St. Cloud. However, they host Denver this weekend and St. Cloud later in the season. Probably need at least a split in both to have a shot at NCAAs.

Lakers have a respectable 3-1-1 record at home on Friday but a horrid 0-4-1 at home at Saturday. Why can't we win at home on Saturdays?

Quote Originally Posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    Lakers have a respectable 3-1-1 record at home on Friday but a horrid 0-4-1 at home at Saturday. Why can't we win at home on Saturdays?
    Curse of the yellow jerseys.

I just noticed a Bennet Vida plays defense for the Lakers . Who is he and where did he come from ? Was he a walk on ,a recruit ?

Veteran

I just noticed a Bennet Vida plays defense for the Lakers . Who is he and where did he come from ? Was he a walk on ,a recruit ?
    I think he's a walk on. Played junior hockey out east although he's from western Canada. He's played a bit for the Lakers in some exhibition games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I think he's a walk on. Played junior hockey out east although he's from western Canada. He's played a bit for the Lakers in some exhibition games.
    Correct, Vida's from Alberta, Canada and played in the AJHL before coming to the Eastern Hockey League (EHL) for the remainder of his junior hockey career.

https://www.easternhockeyleague.org/...le/show/832792

So while he played in the AJ which has a decent track record of D1 recruits, the EHL is not known for producing same. I would expect he'll get little to no ice at LSSU given the program's upward trajectory, but that's just me.

Thanks for the information from you both .

Lakers need a sweep this weekend to keep home ice position. Michigan Tech is pretty much guaranteed to sweep UAA easily.

Quote Originally Posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    Lakers need a sweep this weekend to keep home ice position. Michigan Tech is pretty much guaranteed to sweep UAA easily.
    I guess you never know. BSU dropped a game to UAA.

Thread Information