Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2018-19

Originally posted by Deman View Post
    They've been complaining since day 1. Hell, they applied to the NCHC last year but were denied.

But I think the worst kept secret in college hockey is that there has to be another realignment. It's been talked about since we were forced to after Penn State came up, at least the western conferences - I think the east is pretty well set. But I also doubt the NCHC, WCHA, et al are going to do anything major until they know for sure what the heck is going to happen with Arizona State.

That being said, in the Mankato thread that was linked, it mentioned that BG wanted out too. If the WCHA were to lose both Mankato and Bowling Green, I'd like to see us get Western Michigan and Miami, but with Western doing good this year, I doubt they'd want to leave the conference even if the fee was waived.
    To give this some context, I'm going to post as a MSU fan. There is certainly a lot of bitterness on our part about the leagues. A large part of it is simply because it has been very hard to generate excitement around this team in large part because of the conference. It's not necessarily due to the other schools so much as it is the lack of familiarity. It's going to take a ton of time and effort to build up the same amount of connection as we had in the old WCHA. We lost our 5 biggest "rival schools" in the conference shift. We lost UMD, UND, St Cloud, MN, and UNO (I could even make an argument for WI as well). All of which we have a much larger natural connection to Mankato than any school in the conference (including Bemidji). I know and work with grads of each and every one of those schools which lends itself to having a bigger connection to the conference. I can't say the same of any school in the current conference. Additionally, I know this can't be measured, but the buzz in the arena is not near what it was a few years ago.

Yes, we have had a lot of success in the WCHA as it stands today. I think most Mankato fans truly believe that we would have had just as much in the NCHC (maybe not in terms of the volume of wins, but overall success). The realignment also coincides with our hiring of Mike Hastings. He was hired one year before the conferences shifted, meaning we had one year in the old conference under his tutelage. With virtually the exact same roster as the year before we went from 12 to 24 wins, so there is reason to believe we would be successful regardless.

All that being said, I sense the tide MAY be changing from the fans perspective. We are getting our old rivals to come in for non-conference games now. Granted, it's not the same as it being in the same conference as them, but we're playing them none the less. I was very impressed by the announced attendance this last weekend. It was over 8,000 for you guys. That's not something we would have been able to reach a few years ago. I think the level of competitiveness in the WCHA is also getting better. If that keeps happening, maybe the fan sentiment will start changing.
    the
    Point being, there are logical reasons that there is that sentiment. Some conferences are just better fits for given schools. Up until this point, the NCHC has been a better fit in many people's minds.
    Last edited by Bale; 01-22-2019, 01:09 PM.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

It is all about money. How do the schools get the best bang for their buck . I am sure down the road the travel distance and what it cost will start to hurt the making money part of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
        ...Point being, there are logical reasons that there is that sentiment. Some conferences are just better fits for given schools. Up until this point, the NCHC has been a better fit in many people's minds.
        Imagine us. Our small school used to play Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State & Notre Dame twice a year, and save for Michigan, one series here in the Sault. Huge regional schools that could attract some good crowds. In 2011, for example, the Saturday Michigan State game brought in 3,451 fans, according to the game summary here on USCHO. I think the only times we've gotten close to that number since the realignment has been on our Great Lake State Weekend series, when we've brought back either Michigan or State. Now, year over year, attendance has been on the rise.

There certainly some new familiarity being formed here with the current alignment. The first time we played you guys, I had to look up where Mankato even was, same with Bemidji. I knew nothing of your schools. But with every ***-whooping we'd get, the more interesting it got, since now, personally, if we can steal a game or two from you a year, I consider the season a success.

But I do think the league is a lot better than some of the others give us credit for. But if MSU leaves for the NCHC, and BG ends up leaving for 'greener' pastures, I worry about what'll happen to the schools in the current WCHA, especially since the Alaska schools are struggling to get Wins, so I worry about how long their Board of Governors will be able to keep both programs funded, and convince players to move all the way up there & take long road trips. That's assuming the NCHC doesn't want to keep the number of teams low, thus allows either a free out for teams, or a discounted cost.
        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Imagine us. Our small school used to play Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State & Notre Dame twice a year, and save for Michigan, one series here in the Sault. Huge regional schools that could attract some good crowds. In 2011, for example, the Saturday Michigan State game brought in 3,451 fans, according to the game summary here on USCHO. I think the only times we've gotten close to that number since the realignment has been on our Great Lake State Weekend series, when we've brought back either Michigan or State. Now, year over year, attendance has been on the rise.

There certainly some new familiarity being formed here with the current alignment. The first time we played you guys, I had to look up where Mankato even was, same with Bemidji. I knew nothing of your schools. But with every ***-whooping we'd get, the more interesting it got, since now, personally, if we can steal a game or two from you a year, I consider the season a success.

But I do think the league is a lot better than some of the others give us credit for. But if MSU leaves for the NCHC, and BG ends up leaving for 'greener' pastures, I worry about what'll happen to the schools in the current WCHA, especially since the Alaska schools are struggling to get Wins, so I worry about how long their Board of Governors will be able to keep both programs funded, and convince players to move all the way up there & take long road trips. That's assuming the NCHC doesn't want to keep the number of teams low, thus allows either a free out for teams, or a discounted cost.
          Yeah, I think all the teams in the league are in a tough spot. There is a reality in college sports that I think we all have fought and that is that money plays a huge role in the success of schools. I don't agree with the thinking of the NCHC schools when they broke off, but I do understand it. It's not only difficult when for the schools that have a lower budget on whether they can survive or not, it's also difficult on their conference mates. The uncertainty that the Alaska schools went through last year was not good for anyone and, if anything, lent credence to the complaint that the league is unstable. And that perception isn't going to go away easily.

From a competitive standpoint, the league is getting better. MSU, Tech, NMU and BG seem to be the stalwarts. It seems like LSSU is also making some strides to get to that point. I'm certain that Ferris will be back at some point. And Bemidji is going to jump up every couple of years. The only thing that is going to start changing the perception of the league, both in fans' and recruits' eyes though, is to improve that out of conference record. We were off to a good start this year and then fell off. Perceptions mean a lot. It means a lot to fans and players. If the teams can keep improving and winning it will bring more fans and recruits, it will do wonders to the budgets.

I really hope that, if MSU doesn't win the conference tourney, that it's not BG either (and I'm sure they're thinking the same about us). I think MSU and BG are likely going to finish well enough that they could both get autobids. Having a 3rd team in the NCAAs would be fantastic for the league as a whole. I really do think it would do wonders in starting to turn some of the perception of the league in a better direction.
          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
            Any reason why Laker Hockey Talk podcasts have not been posted since November 1? That is quite disappointing. Hopefully this week's Laker Hockey Show will be posted eventually.
            Internet stream of this evening's Laker Hockey Show wasn't working. Hope they get the podcast up soon. It looks like they caught up with podcasts for both Laker Hockey Talk and the Laker Hockey Show (other than this evening).
            Last edited by Bill; 01-22-2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

They've been complaining since day 1. Hell, they applied to the NCHC last year but were denied.

But I think the worst kept secret in college hockey is that there has to be another realignment. It's been talked about since we were forced to after Penn State came up, at least the western conferences - I think the east is pretty well set. But I also doubt the NCHC, WCHA, et al are going to do anything major until they know for sure what the heck is going to happen with Arizona State.

That being said, in the Mankato thread that was linked, it mentioned that BG wanted out too. If the WCHA were to lose both Mankato and Bowling Green, I'd like to see us get Western Michigan and Miami, but with Western doing good this year, I doubt they'd want to leave the conference even if the fee was waived.
              Yes, Mankato wants to join the NCHC and the former WCHA members support it. However, Andy Murray and Rico Blasi would not approve another MN team unless an "eastern" team (BG) could also be admitted. So, if Mankato and BG were to join the NCHC. Why would WMU or Miami want to replace them in the WCHA?

With the demise of the CCHA, travel costs for both increased but trading Denver, CC, and NoDak for Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Huntsville would probably be a non-starter. Many years the new WCHA gets only one team in the NCAA although this year it likely will be 2...……...possibly even 3 if the league championship has an upset winner. The NCHC gets 3-5 teams in and a 4th place finish usually is good enough to get in.

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                The season is fun watching the Lakers make a run for home ice and possibly having a shot at the NCAAs.
                Agreed. I decided to pay for the TV package and while a bit pricey, I don’t regret it one bit. It’s been fun watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarisland View Post
                  Why would WMU or Miami want to replace them in the WCHA?
                  Why? Because Miami has been in the NCHC's basement for most of it's existence, and Western is only starting to climb in the standings.
                  LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post
                    Why? Because Miami has been in the NCHC's basement for most of it's existence, and Western is only starting to climb in the standings.
                    So can we start the rumor that GLIAC and MAC schools are forming the GLIMAC hockey conference?

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                      The season is fun watching the Lakers make a run for home ice and possibly having a shot at the NCAAs.
                      With a sweep over Bemidji, the Lakers could climb to 14 or 15 in the PWR with some help.

Comment

Looking forward to being at Taffy Abel for the Saturday game against BSU this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          Looking forward to being at Taffy Abel for the Saturday game against BSU this weekend.
                          Lakers have yet to win a Saturday game at home, so if they win you would have to show up to all remaining Saturday home games.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                            Lakers have yet to win a Saturday game at home, so if they win you would have to show up to all remaining Saturday home games.
                            I'll actually be at the next two in a row, so we'll test that theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                              With a sweep over Bemidji, the Lakers could climb to 14 or 15 in the PWR with some help.
                              Bemidji has always been a tough game for the Lakers dating way back to the 60s .

Comment

glad to see the Lakers having some success. you got yourselves a good coach. wish he was still with us. Go UP!
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X