Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2018-19

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    I've never had an issue with regular season ties. Personally, I'd prefer to see them do away with shootouts and the 3 on 3 OT. Have all regular season games worth 2 points and if it ends in a tie, each team gets their point. I wouldn't even mind if they did away with the first 5 on 5 OT. I doubt it will ever go back that way. Too much of a perception that every game must have a winner in some form or fashion.
    Give me back the one overtime and each team gets a point if no one scores . Too many people believe if you win the shootout , you win the game and that is not so .

Comment

I've never had an issue with regular season ties. Personally, I'd prefer to see them do away with shootouts and the 3 on 3 OT. Have all regular season games worth 2 points and if it ends in a tie, each team gets their point. I wouldn't even mind if they did away with the first 5 on 5 OT. I doubt it will ever go back that way. Too much of a perception that every game must have a winner in some form or fashion.
      I would like to see the OT/SO gimmickry eliminated and just play 60 minutes. No chance of that happening though. Also agree and that too many people view a SO win as a win.

Comment

I believe one 5 on 5 overtime is sufficient. Sure the 3 on 3 and sudden death shootout bring a degree of excitement to the game, but I would hesitate to call either of them real hockey. They feel like a gimmick to me, like outdoor games.
        Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
          I believe one 5 on 5 overtime is sufficient. Sure the 3 on 3 and sudden death shootout bring a degree of excitement to the game, but I would hesitate to call either of them real hockey. They feel like a gimmick to me, like outdoor games.
          Not a fan of shootouts, and have no problem with ties, but I can't figure out why college hockey counts a 5 on 5 overtime loss the same as a regulation loss. It's a 60 minute game. As long as you're OK with ties after 65 minutes, why not be OK with ties after 60 minutes? If you want to play an overtime, at least give the loser of that overtime some credit, the same as you do now with 65 minute ties that go to shootout.

Anyway, just stopping in to see if there's any chatter about the big series this weekend. Good luck, and let's see some exciting hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
            Not a fan of shootouts, and have no problem with ties, but I can't figure out why college hockey counts a 5 on 5 overtime loss the same as a regulation loss. It's a 60 minute game. As long as you're OK with ties after 65 minutes, why not be OK with ties after 60 minutes? If you want to play an overtime, at least give the loser of that overtime some credit, the same as you do now with 65 minute ties that go to shootout.

Anyway, just stopping in to see if there's any chatter about the big series this weekend. Good luck, and let's see some exciting hockey!
            The Lakers have played better on the road this season than at home so it should be a good series. I think the key for them is to not let the Mavs jump out to leads of more than a goal. If they can play tough and keep the games close, the Lakers have a shot at some points, especially if they can score first. They also need to stay out of the box; that has been a problem for them at times this season.

Comment

The Lakers have played better on the road this season than at home so it should be a good series. I think the key for them is to not let the Mavs jump out to leads of more than a goal. If they can play tough and keep the games close, the Lakers have a shot at some points, especially if they can score first. They also need to stay out of the box; that has been a problem for them at times this season.
              11-1 in road/neutral site games? You've figured something out!

Comment

I believe the Lakers have never won in Mankato during the regular season. They won a playoff game there a few years ago but have lost every regular season game.
                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                  I believe the Lakers have never won in Mankato during the regular season. They won a playoff game there a few years ago but have lost every regular season game.
                  Gordy Defiel, 57 save shutout. Remember it well, unfortunately. Great goalie performance, but also one of those games where you end up shouting, "Stop shooting it at his logo! I'll take a missed net over more of the same!"

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    Gordy Defiel, 57 save shutout. Remember it well, unfortunately. Great goalie performance, but also one of those games where you end up shouting, "Stop shooting it at his logo! I'll take a missed net over more of the same!"
                    Gordy and Clarke Saunders seemed to have a hypnotic magnet in their chest protectors.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Any reason why Laker Hockey Talk podcasts have not been posted since November 1? That is quite disappointing. Hopefully this week's Laker Hockey Show will be posted eventually.

Comment

Bill Crawford extremely critical of the officiating tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                          Bill Crawford extremely critical of the officiating tonight.
                          Lakers got the first power play of the game and gave up a shorty, so can't be to critical with blown opportunities like that.

Comment

To have a chance tonight, they need to stay out of the box and hopefully score first (or at least don't fall behind by more than a goal). All 3 games they've played against the Mavs this season, the Lakers have fallen behind 3-0 at some point in the game. The Mavs have outscored them 6-0 in the 1st period in those games so obviously the Lakers need to do a better job coming out of the gate. The Mavs are too good of a team for the Lakers to keep trying to play catch up on from more than a goal down.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

Frank Serratore of Air Force just had a nice rant about this. The number of casual hockey fans far exceeds the hockey purists and the rules need to change to reflect that. Most fans don’t want to pay money to watch a game end in a tie. It’s time to switch the entire NCAA to a standardized format. As Frank said though, there are too many coaches who are worried about the possibility of losing vs tying who are holding it up.

Personally, I would like to see both teams awarded a point at the end of regulation, and a 3rd point decided by a 5 min OT, then a 5 min 3v3 OT, then a 3-rd shootout.

Comment

• Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
                                It’s absolutely a gimmick but those gimmicks are exactly what are keeping casual fans interested in the game and keeping rinks alot more packed than they would be.

See, as a game I have no problem at all with ties. But college hockey is as much a form of entertainment now as it is a game, and the many casual fans out there crave the excitement of a win. You know me well enough to know I’m in the Taffy almost every day, but the many casual fans around the Sault choose a Laker game over usually 2 or 3 other events in town on any given weekend. 65 minutes ending in a tie wouldn’t give them a good reason to come back for another game.

Comment

Working...
                                X