Brown Hockey 2018-19: Marchin Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2018-19: Marchin Orders

I looked at the box score and we out-attempted them 79-38 (59-23 at even strength). If someone had told me that before the game, I would’ve expected a big win. But hockey is a cruel game, and Cornell jumped all over us right away and never let up.

I’m cautiously optimistic going forward. Some of the younger guys were impressive this season, and we’ll return an exciting upperclassman nucleus of Giuttari, Nieto, Beaudoin, Berger, and Stillwell. But make no mistake about it – Tommy Marchin and Max Gottlieb will be missed. Still, I think the program is inarguably in a better place than it was at this time last year.

One thing that will be interesting to watch over the coming weeks: Brendan Whittet’s contract is now up. Does Brown give him an extension to try and continue the momentum? The overall W-L record under BW has been bad, but he’s been dealt some really tough cards. I have no idea what to expect, honestly.

Comment

It is nice to see some positive comments about Brown for a change. I hope that such positivity continues. I stopped posting on the Brown thread 18 months ago as I was so turned off by the negativity that permeated the thread. Looking forward to seeing more positive posts.

I certainly believe Brendan has earned a new contract and a multi-year at that. This year's play with a great freshmen class and what appears to be a strong incoming class bodes well for Brown. It would be a mistake to pull the rug on Brendan now. Four Final fours over his tenure speaks well.

He has seen player decommits at a late date through no fault of his, players leaving due to scholarship issues, injuries and , coaching defections. Program appears to be poorly supported by the AD and the administration. Maybe now there may be change in attitude.

Most important at least to me is that the Brown team to a person represent well the University. This has been true through all Brendan's tenure. I have been fortunate to see many Brown alums in the AHL play here in Albany with the Devils. They worked the crowd and the community well, always giving their time for the kids. Even visiting Brown alums, Harry Z, Bobby Farnham, and Marc Naclerio when in Albany would spend time with the children of Brown alums and others before boarding the bus. Jeff Buvinow has done a great job as the ast coach of the local prep school Albany Academy. Brendan has had a major role in accomplishing this.

In sum, looking forward to a great 2019-2020nseason with Brendan in charge,

Comment

Brendan Whittet and Brown agreed to a three-year contract, per Mark Divver’s Twitter. Very excited to see how he builds on this past year! I’m also pleased that Brown gave him three years, so he gets ample time to prove he’s the guy for the job long-term without locking him down forever based on one good run this season.

Seems like a good move all around. Looking forward to next year.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
          Brendan Whittet and Brown agreed to a three-year contract, per Mark Divver’s Twitter. Very excited to see how he builds on this past year! I’m also pleased that Brown gave him three years, so he gets ample time to prove he’s the guy for the job long-term without locking him down forever based on one good run this season.

Seems like a good move all around. Looking forward to next year.
          Three years is smart. Anything more would have been crazy plus should they not build on this year in say the next 2 they can always move on and eat a year.
          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
          https://***********/QHockeyBlog
          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
            Three years is smart. Anything more would have been crazy plus should they not build on this year in say the next 2 they can always move on and eat a year.
            Yep, my thoughts exactly! It’s a nice reward for this past year, but it has some flexibility.

Comment

Some news from Mark Divver’s Twitter:

“Brown is bringing in a big freshmen class next season. Unfortunately, that means two players cut to make room. Word is they are Nolan Aibel & Joe Maguire, both of whom will be seniors next year.”

That must be really tough for those two guys, but ultimately I think it’s a healthy sign for the program. A big freshman class is never a bad thing. Best of luck to Joe and Nolan, whether they stay at Brown to finish their degrees or transfer elsewhere (maybe a NESCAC school) to use their final year of hockey eligibility.

Hoping to see big things from the incoming freshmen.

Comment

Working...
              X