Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    It won't matter. A simple word to the guards, a moment of inattention and the deed is done with no witnesses.
    Good point.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

No charges for the cop who choked Eric Garner to death.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

What a hero

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...-since-deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          I've had Dumpies at work quote me parody stories as facts. I think it is SOP for rightwing poutrage sites.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So the sheriff deputy hired as a school resource officer who was charged with standing around with his thumb up his *** while the Parkland, Florida shooter was on his rampage?

His lawyers are now arguing that "he had no obligation to go in after the shooter."

Attorney Joseph DiRuzzo III wrote in filings filed last week that ... the Broward Sheriff’s Office’s policy for confronting active shooters said deputies “may” enter a building, not “shall.”
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Philadelphia fires 13 cops who made racist and anti-LGBTQIA statements. The local FOP is screaming "their due process!"

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/07/...67v3XJC4NsNx9k
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I am all for them getting due process...lets drag it out in the open and really expose how awful they are. If this is the stuff they posted on Social Media lord knows what they will say under direct questioning!
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yeah, let's trash the people that are serving and protecting:

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...WwF7Pe_vzDKa3M

Kudos to the officers showing restraint.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post

No innocent person deserves the treatment some of these cops got. People going about their jobs do not need to be tormented. But the politicians are not to blame, the cops themselves are. Maybe not these particular ones, but its the overwhelming number of bad ones that have caused people (like me) to have very little respect for the profession -- and as a result, for most of the people who are choosing it.

The problem with these cops and others all over the country, and most of the local unions that represent them, is that anything other than blind allegiance and genuflecting before all things law enforcement is equivalent to "utter disregard for law enforcement."

Mayor Pete goes to a community event and listens to the community and that equates to "utter disregard for law enforcement." A Chicago cop is convicted of murder for putting a dozen bullets into a retreating person and that equates to "utter disregard for law enforcement." A South Carolina cop plants a weapon on an unarmed man he just shot and charges against him are "utter disregard for law enforcement." The cops then whine and moan and generally act like petulant little 3rd graders (or petulant fat presidents) and say they are going to take their ball and go home. They threaten to quit doing their jobs. The head of the South Bend FOP has said morale is so low that as many as 10 or 12 cops might quit or retire at year's end, all because the mayor suggested independent inquiries into the latest white cop killing a black man under questionable circumstances. I am supposed to reflexively defend this kind of behavior? No thanks, I think I'll look more critically at the situation.

They don't prevent crime (studies and statistics bare this out), they don't solve most crimes committed (again, the statistics prove this), the return on our investment in law enforcement in this country is criminally low, and we are bombarded on a daily basis with cops in every corner of the country doing terrible things. The amount of money we sink into law enforcement for our 18,000+ separate agencies is appalling. For law enforcement level money we managed to get to the moon and back a half dozen times. We succeeded.

The money we sink into law enforcement is ill-spent and evidence shows how poorly the cops perform all over America. A South Bend cop with two years on the force and no promotions other than time-in-grade can make $62,000 a year (before overtime, of which many earn in the 5 figures) and retire at 53 with a pension that pays 75% of his or her salary (the last few years when it is likely at its highest) for the rest of their lives. The vast majority of 21 years olds will not see a retirement benefit like that, and the average hourly wage in Indiana (according the the Bureau of Labor Statistics) was a little under $18 an hour in 2018. Yet most murders go unsolved and even fewer property crimes are closed out with even an arrest. It's no wonder people trash them.

There is a reason used car salespeople have long gotten a bad rap. They sell a lot of lemons, often to people who cannot afford the burden of buying a lemon. Go figure people have been making jokes at their expense and bad mouthing them for decades. If the cops were truly heroes and acted with integrity and honor in more circumstances, people like me would respect the profession and reflexively defend cops. People love their local librarian, they love their nurses and the love their firefighters. It's because they have no reason not to. It would be nice to live in a country where there was no reason for so many to feel so differently about law enforcement and the police. For that to change, the police are going to have to change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post

It's almost like decades of horrible police relations lead to this sort of thing (and honestly it'll get worse if it doesn't improve).

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          No innocent person deserves the treatment some of these cops got. People going about their jobs do not need to be tormented. But the politicians are not to blame, the cops themselves are. Maybe not these particular ones, but its the overwhelming number of bad ones that have caused people (like me) to have very little respect for the profession -- and as a result, for most of the people who are choosing it.

The problem with these cops and others all over the country, and most of the local unions that represent them, is that anything other than blind allegiance and genuflecting before all things law enforcement is equivalent to "utter disregard for law enforcement."

Mayor Pete goes to a community event and listens to the community and that equates to "utter disregard for law enforcement." A Chicago cop is convicted of murder for putting a dozen bullets into a retreating person and that equates to "utter disregard for law enforcement." A South Carolina cop plants a weapon on an unarmed man he just shot and charges against him are "utter disregard for law enforcement." The cops then whine and moan and generally act like petulant little 3rd graders (or petulant fat presidents) and say they are going to take their ball and go home. They threaten to quit doing their jobs. The head of the South Bend FOP has said morale is so low that as many as 10 or 12 cops might quit or retire at year's end, all because the mayor suggested independent inquiries into the latest white cop killing a black man under questionable circumstances. I am supposed to reflexively defend this kind of behavior? No thanks, I think I'll look more critically at the situation.

They don't prevent crime (studies and statistics bare this out), they don't solve most crimes committed (again, the statistics prove this), the return on our investment in law enforcement in this country is criminally low, and we are bombarded on a daily basis with cops in every corner of the country doing terrible things. The amount of money we sink into law enforcement for our 18,000+ separate agencies is appalling. For law enforcement level money we managed to get to the moon and back a half dozen times. We succeeded.

The money we sink into law enforcement is ill-spent and evidence shows how poorly the cops perform all over America. A South Bend cop with two years on the force and no promotions other than time-in-grade can make $62,000 a year (before overtime, of which many earn in the 5 figures) and retire at 53 with a pension that pays 75% of his or her salary (the last few years when it is likely at its highest) for the rest of their lives. The vast majority of 21 years olds will not see a retirement benefit like that, and the average hourly wage in Indiana (according the the Bureau of Labor Statistics) was a little under $18 an hour in 2018. Yet most murders go unsolved and even fewer property crimes are closed out with even an arrest. It's no wonder people trash them.

There is a reason used car salespeople have long gotten a bad rap. They sell a lot of lemons, often to people who cannot afford the burden of buying a lemon. Go figure people have been making jokes at their expense and bad mouthing them for decades. If the cops were truly heroes and acted with integrity and honor in more circumstances, people like me would respect the profession and reflexively defend cops. People love their local librarian, they love their nurses and the love their firefighters. It's because they have no reason not to. It would be nice to live in a country where there was no reason for so many to feel so differently about law enforcement and the police. For that to change, the police are going to have to change.
                          I will repeat that somewhere in the past 25-30 years, local police forces went from "Protect and Serve" to another branch of the armed forces. You can somewhat get away with "Let God sort it out" on the battlefield. You can't in the cities, yet it seems like it is - which is wrong.

Are we training our cops wrong?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Absolutely yes.

Comment

Yes, though it also seems like a lot of cops are told to forget what they learned in training once in the job too. The lack of accountability or any serious reforms is a large part of it.

Comment

I will repeat that somewhere in the past 25-30 years, local police forces went from "Protect and Serve" to another branch of the armed forces. You can somewhat get away with "Let God sort it out" on the battlefield. You can't in the cities, yet it seems like it is - which is wrong.

We are training the police wrong, yes. But if that was the overarching factor, there would be a fairly equal number of black cops shooting unarmed white men. When I see endless loops of black cops gunning down white guys I might be brought around to the idea that it is mostly a training thing. If all it was was a training thing the problems would have been well on their way to being solved years ago. Most industries see a problem that can be solved with better training or standard response protocol, and they adopt it and the problem is either solved, or it is lessened. The problems in law enforcement have much less to do with how the cops are trained, to who the cops are hiring.

Comment

Working...
                                X