Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

And that makes Andy, Bea, Opie and the crew very sad. btw I still watch reruns of that show to this day.

Comment

I've read that police academies will spend 3 weeks on firearms and self defense training and barely 8 hours on de-escalation/conflict management.
      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
        I've read that police academies will spend 3 weeks on firearms and self defense training and barely 8 hours on de-escalation/conflict management.
        Good plan.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
          There is no data to show just how many bad cops there are Brent.

And by the way, I don't bother with the cops either. I suppose there might come a time when it is unavoidable, but due to my disrespect for most in the profession and my belief in their ineffectiveness I don't bother with them and can't imagine needing to. I'm a firm believer in the adage that when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.
          1. They point out all the bad, but rarely is the good reported, comparatively.
          2. Good, if you don't trust the cops, don't ask them for help, which is why I made the original comment in the first place. "I DON'T TRUST COPS! Wait, 911? I need cops, I'm in trouble." It's bullsh*. Tired of it.

YES there are bad cops, I have never denied it. As Slap said, are they as bad as they are made out to be here? No. Not even close.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The notion that having cops come from the ranks of the military might be the issue really tells me more about the current state of the military than anything else. Cops have ALWAYS been coming from the ranks of the military. Lots of vets from both war and peacetime have always populated the ranks of police departments. It's just that a power hungry racist richard-head is a power hungry racist richard-head.

To me there is a line of demarcation and it is 9-11. For some reason, after 9-11 the hero worship was turned up to 11 and beyond for all things law enforcement and military. To a certain extent, I get it. We shouldn't spit on soldiers coming back from serving, but that was really a myth anyway -- do the research before you accept that as a widespread phenomenon. And for the few proven examples of it happening, there were plenty of similar examples of anti-war protesters getting spit on. Anti-WAR protesters, not anti-military personnel protesters. And we shouldn't throw good cops trying to make their communities a better place under the first bus we see.

All I'm saying is, as a society we should be willing and able to do that AND weed out the ones who don't belong. If the so-called "good cops" out there would just make the first move, I bet people like me all over the place would pick up the ball too.

Comment

Agree on the military, with a footnote: the old-school military fought countries. The new-school military fights a movement, where ANYONE can be a soldier of sorts. So, yes, have to retrain them in that aspect, which may prove to be impossible in some cases.

Of course, there are the age-old (yet valid) budget constraints, and the whole "Hey, how would you like to potentially put your life on the line for a job?"

It's a tough gig, and those who take it are a different breed, that's for sure.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

In theory, the psych exam should be weeding out most of the bad apples. But if the department is desperate to fill jobs (which many are), and/or you get a candidate who fudges some of his answers to the shrink (and there's no other evidence of trouble), guess what happens?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  In theory, the psych exam should be weeding out most of the bad apples. But if the department is desperate to fill jobs (which many are), and/or you get a candidate who fudges some of his answers to the shrink (and there's no other evidence of trouble), guess what happens?
                  I agree. The obvious answer is to start paying more, therefore being more selective in the long run. Otherwise we have a shortage (like we do now) and any warm body will do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    And that makes Andy, Bea, Opie and the crew very sad. btw I still watch reruns of that show to this day.
                    Otis was pretty problematic tho

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      Otis was pretty problematic tho
                      I never watched the show, but thanks to crosswords, Otis...dude needed some help, according to the clues.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        I never watched the show, but thanks to crosswords, Otis...dude needed some help, according to the clues.
                        The elevator didn't go to the top floor?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          I agree. The obvious answer is to start paying more, therefore being more selective in the long run. Otherwise we have a shortage (like we do now) and any warm body will do.
                          Pay more? A 2 year police officer in South Bend who has received no promotions other than time-in-grade will make at least $60,000 a year. That doesn't include overtime, of which many scoop up in 5 figures, or 2nd and 3rd shift differential pay, which is $2500-$3500. On top of that they can retire at 53 with a lifetime pension that pays them 74% of the average of their 5 last years, usually their highest paid ones. The median hourly wage in Indiana in 2018 (according the Bureau of Labor Statistics) was $17.18. That means a cop who has managed to do nothing more than work for 2 years without getting fired makes at least 2/3rds more than the average worker in Indiana. Of all the places I've lived the overall cost of living was lowest in South Bend. How much more should they make than the average worker? Twice? 3 times? The fact is, the truly good cops, just like the best public school teachers, the best nurses and the best firefighters out there NEVER make as much as they probably EARN. But the notion cops are "underpaid", just like the notion they have the most dangerous job in the world, is false.

My job requires a fair amount of integrity and people have to trust me. Nobody needs to pay me more because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                            Pay more? A 2 year police officer in South Bend who has received no promotions other than time-in-grade will make at least $60,000 a year. That doesn't include overtime, of which many scoop up in 5 figures, or 2nd and 3rd shift differential pay, which is $2500-$3500. On top of that they can retire at 53 with a lifetime pension that pays them 74% of the average of their 5 last years, usually their highest paid ones. The median hourly wage in Indiana in 2018 (according the Bureau of Labor Statistics) was $17.18. That means a cop who has managed to do nothing more than work for 2 years without getting fired makes at least 2/3rds more than the average worker in Indiana. Of all the places I've lived the overall cost of living was lowest in South Bend. How much more should they make than the average worker? Twice? 3 times? The fact is, the truly good cops, just like the best public school teachers, the best nurses and the best firefighters out there NEVER make as much as they probably EARN. But the notion cops are "underpaid", just like the notion they have the most dangerous job in the world, is false.

My job requires a fair amount of integrity and people have to trust me. Nobody needs to pay me more because of that.
                            I make almost that much in regular salary as a warehouse worker, non-management. And my life is pretty safe. Just sayin'.

Comment

Your job is probably more risky than the average officer’s.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                I make almost that much in regular salary as a warehouse worker, non-management. And my life is pretty safe. Just sayin'.
                                You're more likely to get run over by a forklift in a warehouse than a cop is to die on the job. Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X