Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Definitely better than thou art.
    The ablative is thee.

Edit: yeah, but this is the nominative. we/thou; us/thee.

You are correct! "Than thou."

Edit again: oh f-ck, then what about "to thine..."

No, that's OK, that's genitive, because it's thineself. Possessive.

Yeah, it's thou.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-04-2019, 02:11 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

*leaves*
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        *leaves*
        What? You're not interested in waiting for Kep to get all snobby about the dative, locative, and instrumental cases?

If we really want to get pedantic about grammar, we should get into Hungarian.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          What? You're not interested in waiting for Kep to get all snobby about the dative, locative, and instrumental cases?

Knowledge isn't the same as snobbery.

Preferring to be wrong rather than right in order to not be laughed at by the Great Unwashed (hurr, you know things, hurrrrr!) is what got us Dump.

Be better.

Is there really an "instrumental" case? Never heard of that. Cool!
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I wasn’t even familiar with the term ‘instrumental case’ or ‘grammatical case’ 23 seconds ago.

The concept, maybe. Not the term. I spent far too much time in school working from the final chapter in the math books backwards.

Then again, maybe if i knew what a case was, I would have gotten into first college instead of waitlisted. :-/
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Then again, maybe if i knew what a case was, I would have gotten into first college instead of waitlisted. :-/
              IIRC MIT had (has?) a 200 Club for people who scored at least that many more points on math than verbal.
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                IIRC MIT had (has?) a 200 Club for people who scored at least that many more points on math than verbal.
                I aced my math on SAT and SAT II. I made it to the third round of the AMT(?). I took second in district on math team and made it to state. I finished calc before I was out of 11th grade. I got three fives on my AP calc exams. I got two fours on my AP physics. I got a five on AP stats. I aced my AP Chem test. I placed 17th in Minnesota on the chemistry test. I tutored AP Chem when I was junior in high school.I had two years of college classes before I stepped onto any campus. I was an AP national scholar with distinction. My first class in college was quantum mechanics.

I still didn’t get into MIT. I gained an incredible respect for the talent at MIT when I got that waitlist letter.
                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 10-04-2019, 10:54 PM.
                Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I is an engineering stoodint?

Comment

I aced my math on SAT and SAT II. I made it to the third round of the AMT(?). I took second in district on math team and made it to state. I finished calc before I was out of 11th grade. I got three fives on my AP calc exams. I got two fours on my AP physics. I got a five on AP stats. I aced my AP Chem test. I placed 17th in Minnesota on the chemistry test. I tutored AP Chem when I was junior in high school.I had two years of college classes before I stepped onto any campus. I was an AP national scholar with distinction. My first class in college was quantum mechanics.

I still didn’t get into MIT. I gained an incredible respect for the talent at MIT when I got that waitlist letter.
                    I have three second or third hand brushes with MIT.

A first cousin I really do not know well graduated from there.

I have a close friend whose brother in law was a astro-physics wunderkind who was a tenured professor there at a very young age and was in the running for a Nobel in physics. I found he had zero personality, and his own sister described him as a complete jerk.

I had a short but pleasant conversation with a another dad when I was visiting schools with my daughter while she was still in HS. He was with his daughter and we were doing the tour thing at Columbia or Williams, I think. A nice friendly guy, completely without pretense, which was very refreshing compared to many parents making those visits. We straggled at the back of the group and talked about family a little. When he described his son, who was accepted at MIT, just shrugged and smiled as if he couldn't really understand it, and said: "He sees math."

Our daughters probably both got perfect or near perfect scores on parts of their ACT and SATs, but not in math, and I'm pretty sure he was as math-challenged as I and was plainly candid about it.

You're lucky to have that gift, dx. But I gotta ask: How can a guy as smart as you be dumb enough to be a gopher hockey fan? And if it's a quarky answer, don't bother.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post

I have a close friend whose brother in law was a astro-physics wunderkind who was a tenured professor there at a very young age and was in the running for a Nobel in physics. I found he had zero personality, and his own sister described him as a complete jerk.

I had a short but pleasant conversation with a another dad when I was visiting schools with my daughter while she was still in HS. He was with his daughter and we were doing the tour thing at Columbia or Williams, I think. A nice friendly guy, completely without pretense, which was very refreshing compared to many parents making those visits. We straggled at the back of the group and talked about family a little. When he described his son, who was accepted at MIT, just shrugged and smiled as if he couldn't really understand it, and said: "He sees math."

Our daughters probably both got perfect or near perfect scores on parts of their ACT and SATs, but not in math, and I'm pretty sure he was as math-challenged as I and was plainly candid about it.

You're lucky to have that gift, dx. But I gotta ask: How can a guy as smart as you be dumb enough to be a gopher hockey fan? And if it's a quarky answer, don't bother.
                      He wasnt a good speller and found solace in celebrating a team that walks you through spelling the team name after a goal?
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post

Thanks for sharing.

Ha. Because my safety school was the second or third best chemical engineering school: Minnesota.

I almost applied to the other science and engineering mega schools like cal tech, cal, etc. But only wanted MIT or Minnesota in the end.

Honestly, the first year I started watching gopher hockey was the 01-02 year. That kind of moved the needle as well.
                        Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Thanks for sharing.

Ha. Because my safety school was the second or third best chemical engineering school: Minnesota.

I almost applied to the other science and engineering mega schools like cal tech, cal, etc. But only wanted MIT or Minnesota in the end.

Honestly, the first year I started watching gopher hockey was the 01-02 year. That kind of moved the needle as well.
                          I dont seem to recall that season. I remember the Ralph opening and then I dont recall any college hockey being played until a few years later.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            I dont seem to recall that season. I remember the Ralph opening and then I dont recall any college hockey being played until a few years later.
                            Was that the year a Nodak brought Minnie back from 25 years of obscurity?

Comment

Math sucks, and that's not just because I was an average math student jealous of the people who pulled a 30+ on the math part of the ACT and could breeze through their calculus homework. In my experience, the people who are really, really good at math are often sociopaths (this is not meant as an ad hom towards you, dx). They get all excited about the numbers, and have little to no concern for any consequences.

That's why I was a lit and vocab guy, and to this day, a language nerd.

Anyway, isn't this the cop outrage thread?

Comment

My older son scored (1490?) on his PSAT and with nearly identical scores for Math and R/W. He also scored a perfect TOEFL his Freshman year (now a junior) while the younger (sophomore) scored a perfect TOEFL this fall. The younger is about a 1/4 step behind the elder in math but works his *** off to close the gap.

They should score solid TOEFLs mind you (Test of English as a Foreign Language is a standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers wishing to enroll in English-speaking universities) but there are typically only 2-3 perfect scores in the country annually and there are plenty English born students living in Manila taking the same test. Not bad I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X