X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
    UMASS Lowell played back up goalie saturday night.
    Although to be fair, Hernberg played the majority of time in net for Lowell last season, going 14-10-0 with a .921 save percentage and 2.08 GAA. So while he's no draft pick like Wall, he's no slouch, either.

Comment

The world is upside down. I have to say I am not really happy, I always will take a win but Saturday was a strange game.

I thought RIT was the better team in the first period, deserved to take a lead to the room, and a lucky bounce or two gives them a 3-0 lead. After that I was rather upset with how the Tigers played the rest of the game. Lost way to many one on one battles, sloppy puck management, took way to many bad penalties, yes the refs missed some calls against Colgate, but that shipped has sailed...

Simple break down, they show they have the talent to score goals, play solid defense, and get good goaltending. They have shinned at times, but also showed glimpses of the sloppy, be their own worst enemy play that made them a simple 500 team that was bounced out of the playoffs by the worst team in the league for two straight years. So I am not sold nor am I selling at this point, I tell you this much, I've seen the Mercyhurst team they will play in two weeks. They will not get away with a game like Brick City against that team I saw play Notre Dame...
      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
      The Mule
      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
        The world is upside down. I have to say I am not really happy, I always will take a win but Saturday was a strange game.

I thought RIT was the better team in the first period, deserved to take a lead to the room, and a lucky bounce or two gives them a 3-0 lead. After that I was rather upset with how the Tigers played the rest of the game. Lost way to many one on one battles, sloppy puck management, took way to many bad penalties, yes the refs missed some calls against Colgate, but that shipped has sailed...

Simple break down, they show they have the talent to score goals, play solid defense, and get good goaltending. They have shinned at times, but also showed glimpses of the sloppy, be their own worst enemy play that made them a simple 500 team that was bounced out of the playoffs by the worst team in the league for two straight years. So I am not sold nor am I selling at this point, I tell you this much, I've seen the Mercyhurst team they will play in two weeks. They will not get away with a game like Brick City against that team I saw play Notre Dame...

Well written and stated. Seems like the same kind of team for the past few years but squeaked out an ot win and then was opportunistic saturday night. Correct the issues or the same results as years past. RMU has a solid PP but goal tending is questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
          A few years ago, there likely would have been 10 posts in the first couple hours.
          Yeah and a few years ago forums were a lot more relevant than they are today. The overall number of posters here in the RIT threads has declined, so have the number of posts, but that's more because old school forums like this are a dying breed more than some kind of issue with the fans or fanbase.
          RIT

Comment

I feel like we are dwelling on so many negatives everyone is forgetting that RIT is 2-1. Let's look at some positives.

More balanced scoring. I believe all 4 lines have scored this year already. The 4th line could easily move up if they are hot that game.
            The power play has scored a bunch of goals.
            The improved play of Drackett. He has played very well so far and is taking the starting job by the horns.

I get that there are things to work on. These next 4 games in PA will be big. I think coming out with a split of those 4 is a good result. Then RIT will HAVE to start winning more at home.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
              Well written and stated. Seems like the same kind of team for the past few years but squeaked out an ot win and then was opportunistic saturday night. Correct the issues or the same results as years past. RMU has a solid PP but goal tending is questionable.

I think this is bordering on the ridiculous a little bit. Certainly they have things to work on (mainly how to stay aggressive with multiple goal leads without committing penalties), but "the same team as the past few years" is a bit too far. RIT deserves credit first of all for building the leads in the first place that resulted in the foot coming off of the gas a little bit, and also for the killed penalties that maintained that lead (ugly or not) against Colgate. With the senior line being a year older and keeping most of the supporting cast intact, I think it's pretty clear this is the most talented offensive team we've had here in awhile (I think this team's secondary scoring will probably end up superior to the MGM season), and I think there's a very good chance Drackett can make a jump in net (so far, so good).

I mean, last year's team got run out of the building in consecutive nights in the 2nd weekend of non-conference play, one of them to a legitimately bad RPI team. They were outscored 24-15 in non-conference play, and in half of those games they were beaten by 5 goals each. The year before they managed a whopping 8 goals in non-conference play over 6 games (we have 12 already through 3 games this year).

Again, all of this is not to say that they don't have things to work on, because they obviously do, and even if they looked flawless over the first couple of weekends something's always going to pop up. There's going to be a down spell at some point during this season; there always is. But the start they've put forth this season is far superior to how they've both opened and closed the last couple of seasons, and it's not really close. They're simply playing better hockey now than they were then.

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                A few years ago, there likely would have been 10 posts in the first couple hours.
                I just lurk for the most part at this point, but I’m here. Good start to the season, but trying to not get ahead of myself

Comment

• Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                  I just lurk for the most part at this point, but I’m here. Good start to the season, but trying to not get ahead of myself
                  Like Tom, yourself and others, happy with the start but as I posted earlier I want to see where the team stands after a few AH series. Big tilt with RMU this weekend and then Mercyhurst. I think mid terms are this week too so it will be important for our coaches and captains to have this team fired up at the drop of the puck on Friday night. Not sure if it helps but RIT is visiting RMU after Army and then will be visiting Mercyhurst after Army as well.
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                    Yeah and a few years ago forums were a lot more relevant than they are today. The overall number of posters here in the RIT threads has declined, so have the number of posts, but that's more because old school forums like this are a dying breed more than some kind of issue with the fans or fanbase.
                    And a few years before that, it was the email listservers, Hockey-L and d3hockey, that were the dying breed. I still miss those...
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      And a few years before that, it was the email listservers, Hockey-L and d3hockey, that were the dying breed. I still miss those...
                      It's hard to fathom right now, but someday we'll be saying the same thing about Facebook. There was also a brief time when Yahoo! Groups were the preferred method of discussing things (although in reality those were mostly just glorified discussion forums).

Comment

I feel like we are dwelling on so many negatives everyone is forgetting that RIT is 2-1. Let's look at some positives.
                        Correct me If I am wrong but I believe this is the first time in RIT D1 history we have gone 2-1-1 against NC teams in the beginning of the season. I will take this winning record. This team seems to be well rounded.

As for me I lurk mostly. I moved away but still love my Tigers! I am still very bitter about not having scholarships.

I hope everyone is well.
                        R I T HOCKEY
                        Frozen Four
                        Elite Eight
                        NCAA Tournament
                        2010-2015-2016
                        RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

This team has looked must sharper right from the exhibition game than they have the past few years. I feel like we have a good year ahead of us
                          RIT Tigers
                          Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                          Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                          Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Just to be clear I am not doom and gloom, in fact I am optimistic that this team can make it to Harbor Center and the NCAAs. As Coach Wilson likes to say the bar is set high at RIT. I am just looking at the small sample size which has some nice wins and is promising but there are also some clear lessons the team needs to learn. Like all college hockey teams do, these are kids. Looking at pairwise and having a laugh at the old idiots who used to filibuster the board on the Non-Conference record is nice. However beating your chest to it is about as outside of reality as most of those posters who have left us has been.

Last two seasons, RIT's worst enemy has been itself. Poor discipline and puck management was a killer. I commented multiple times in different outlets that its not the number of mistakes as much as how outrageous the mistakes were at the worst possible times. There are certain points in any hockey game when you have to just make good decisions and that was just not happening. What was more disturbing was nothing the coaching staff was doing was helping. That is not a knock against the coaches as honestly I was flabbergasted too. Last season this team was suppose to have a chip on it shoulder, and maybe they got mad, but they didn't get smart. As time went by things seemed to improve and hope would emerge, but you still saw small landmines they would step on and honestly in the end of the last two seasons when they lost to the last place team in the league all you really could say was they deserved it.

In the USCHO recap that touched on the Brick City game, Jim Connolly politely communicated that RIT has been playing down to their competition and should be winning their league or at least much higher than they have been. There is no doubt talent on this team that was flying high after two somewhat unexpected league championship that was a nice surprise, but then a very unpleasant surprise followed the next two years. So we are kind past now fool me twice. As I stated I have no doubts on the talents of this team. It's their maturity and discipline that will determine how far they go...
                            Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                            The Mule
                            Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                              In the USCHO recap that touched on the Brick City game, Jim Connolly politely communicated that RIT has been playing down to their competition and should be winning their league or at least much higher than they have been. There is no doubt talent on this team that was flying high after two somewhat unexpected league championship that was a nice surprise, but then a very unpleasant surprise followed the next two years. So we are kind past now fool me twice. As I stated I have no doubts on the talents of this team. It's their maturity and discipline that will determine how far they go...
                              I have a little bit of a hard time with this paragraph. There are a lot of teams that would be thrilled to have the kind of conference success that RIT has had in it's relatively short time in Atlantic Hockey - particularly the first few seasons. What I think people forget is how the landscape has changed, especially in conference. AHC teams can offer more scholarships. Schools have upgraded their facilities. Two teams were added to the conference since RIT and Air Force joined. I think a lot of that was brought on by the success of RIT and Air Force when they joined. I think it's going to be very difficult to see a team get on the kind of runs RIT and Air Force were on. Air Force went back to back, but before that had not won a championship in 4 years - including a year with a losing record.

This year's team has the potential to be very good. The results have been excellent so far. However, there's a long way to go. Let's not push some of the problems the previous years teams have had on to this one.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Wow - RIT finally wins their homecoming game and has 2 non-conference wins for the first time in a long time, and ...... crickets.
                                Part of the reason for this, I'm sure, is that the non-conference wins mean absolutely nothing if they don't follow it up by separating themselves from the pack of Atlantic Hockey teams.

Whether or not they overlooked RoMo coming off the big win in front of a big crowd, this is a series they probably should win against a young team who were pretty badly outplayed by Army last weekend if they want to be who we think they can be, and they're frankly getting their butts kicked up and down the ice.

Comment

Working...
                                X