X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    This is the strange one, because he always decries that overemphasis in postgame interviews. So it doesn't seem like the overemphasis is coming from him -- at least, not intentionally.

Powers &8^]
    Indeed, I have heard him stress that many times. And yet, RIT has had this problem for years through many recruiting classes. So either Wilson is somehow instilling it or he is completely incapable of coaching it out of players. Either one is bad, so pick your poison.
    RIT

Comment

Komey hit on something when he mentioned that if the Brown/Girduckis line gets back on track the fortunes of the team will likely improve.

There is also some buzz on the Twittersphere posted earlier today about RIT mulling about a goaltending change this weekend. Don’t know what to make of it but I would be shocked if someone other than Mr. Drackett got the start.
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
        Komey hit on something when he mentioned that if the Brown/Girduckis line gets back on track the fortunes of the team will likely improve.

There is also some buzz on the Twittersphere posted earlier today about RIT mulling about a goaltending change this weekend. Don’t know what to make of it but I would be shocked if someone other than Mr. Drackett got the start.
        Seems like a bad idea to start someone else in the last game before break. Don't really want to have it get in Drackett's head and dwell there for 3 weeks. If you wanted to get another look, should have done it at Northeastern.
        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          Seems like a bad idea to start someone else in the last game before break. Don't really want to have it get in Drackett's head and dwell there for 3 weeks. If you wanted to get another look, should have done it at Northeastern.
          Not Northeastern as the Tigers were hot. The Sacred Heart series should have been 2 different goaltenders - especially Saturday. In any case, the team needs a wage up call to snap out of this funk.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
            Not Northeastern as the Tigers were hot. The Sacred Heart series should have been 2 different goaltenders - especially Saturday. In any case, the team needs a wage up call to snap out of this funk.
            Meh. How hot the team is seems irrelevant for out of conference games that mean nothing to lose. If we have an established starter I'd really prefer we ride them for all AHA games as those are what ultimately matters. Do you really want Christian Short in net for his first game of the year as RIT tries to climb out of a 4 game slide? I sure don't.
            RIT

Comment

• Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
              Meh. How hot the team is seems irrelevant for out of conference games that mean nothing to lose. If we have an established starter I'd really prefer we ride them for all AHA games as those are what ultimately matters. Do you really want Christian Short in net for his first game of the year as RIT tries to climb out of a 4 game slide? I sure don't.
              So...Short gets the start tonight according to a tweet 25 minutes ago.. Gutsy move, hope it pays dividends. Go Tigers.

https://***********/genebattaglia/st...999302657?s=21
              Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 12-15-2018, 04:21 PM.
              RPI Engineers
              RIT Tigers
              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                So...Short gets the start tonight according to a tweet 25 minutes ago.. Gutsy move, hope it pays dividends. Go Tigers.

https://***********/genebattaglia/st...999302657?s=21
                Sigh. Classic Wilson is back.
                RIT

Comment

I’ll take it. 😀. Merry Christmas everyone.
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                    Did work though.

Wasn't so sure after those two weak goals in the first.

Nice win in the end, and that's all that counts. All I want to know is where were these guys the last four games? A nice way to go into the holiday break.
                    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                    NCAA DII - 1983
                    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                      Did work though.

Wasn't so sure after those two weak goals in the first.

Nice win in the end, and that's all that counts. All I want to know is where were these guys the last four games? A nice way to go into the holiday break.
                      Did it work? I mean, no doubt we won but Short gave up 4 goals on 31 shots which is a below league average stat line. He would have lost all of our previous 5 games giving up that many (well, one tie). The multitude of empty net goals are a bit of an aberration, but if RIT had scored 5 goals in the games during their 5 game losing streak they'd have gone 4-1 over that stretch so...I dunno I put this more on the offense waking up than anything that Short did.

I suppose the argument can and will be made that it was a shake up that woke them up, maybe true, maybe not. I'd hope after losing 5 straight including 4 straight at home the boys could decide enough was enough without needing to bench the one player who has not been an issue.
                      RIT

Comment

Did it work? I mean, no doubt we won but Short gave up 4 goals on 31 shots which is a below league average stat line. He would have lost all of our previous 5 games giving up that many (well, one tie). The multitude of empty net goals are a bit of an aberration, but if RIT had scored 5 goals in the games during their 5 game losing streak they'd have gone 4-1 over that stretch so...I dunno I put this more on the offense waking up than anything that Short did.

I suppose the argument can and will be made that it was a shake up that woke them up, maybe true, maybe not. I'd hope after losing 5 straight including 4 straight at home the boys could decide enough was enough without needing to bench the one player who has not been an issue.
                        Yes, it worked

The goal of any competitive event is to win. The facts of last night's winning game and the five previous loses cannot be changed.

Even without the empty netters, the tigers would have won 5 to 4 but the facts again have the tigers scoring eight goals.

So in the case off last night's game, the team on the ice reversed their fortunes and came out with the proper result. Does this mean that the tigers will win all games going forward? Does this mean Short should start every game? Of course not but for the moment, I think the team and fans should be satisfied with the win.

Merry Christmas everyone!
                        RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                          Yes, it worked
                          By "did it work?" the operative question is not "Did the team win?" but "Was the goalie change the primary factor in winning a game that the team would have lost if not for the goalie change?"

Powers &8^]

Comment

Well after defending coach Wilson all week he went and made a move I completely disagreed with, but got away with it. This probably would have been a 4-1 game if not for 2 leaky goals in the first RIT would have completely dominated the opening 20.

Most people's problem when they assets a coaches performance is they are all results oriented on Wins an Losses. That approach completely misses the fact that even making the right decision doesn't mean you will win the game. Coaching is a lot less of the trick plays and fancy speaches Hollywood makes it out to be.

In the real world coaching is not unlike poker. Which to play with the best you have to have a master understanding of the mathematics of the game or as in hockey the systems in the game that are constantly evolving. A famous poker player was quoted as its not about winning or losing its about making the right decision. That what coaching comes down to over a season. Cause then comes the other common aspect poker and coaching has which is luck.

Who gets dealt the better hand or team. Who gets lucky bounces or is dealing with injuries. Who comes up with a great game plan then loses cause his team took the night off. Each night ultimately the players decide the game, the coach does everything in his power to put the players in a position to win, while keeping an eye on the fact that he is coaching a season and not just one game.

So let's look at this decision and I do not want to beat up Short, I've said before he is a great kid and think highly of him. However this is a cruel business and you have to focus on winning.

I look at stats to get an idea of how a goaltender is doing. But the biggest thing I look for is not kept in any Stat. I look to see if he is making the saves he should and not allowing any softies. Stealing a big save is gravey. Drackett in my opinion was doing all he could do, his play was not an issue last two weeks.

OK, but as I said we are coaching a season. So some says it's good to throw a change and mix things up. That is true to a point, but still when you have a player like Drackett playing fine I think it becomes a coin flip if your team responds positively or not. The biggest thing to me is how badly do you need this game. I'd argue pretty badly. You got off to a hot start, but 4 straight losses has the RIT world all pressing the panic button. Your players feel that. You need a win going into the break. You then have a good moment and can tell the room hey guys, it's pretty simple for the second half. We shown we can play and do damage and be the best team in this league, but if we fart off we can be bad enough to be at the bottom. That is the margin of error, we have the talent it's up to the guys in the room.

In the end I just saw little upside to starting Short. Yeah they won, but how many want Short in for the next game. I'll just say if they would have started someone else I would have chosen Ian based on the fact I think him and Short has been even and he has 2 more years and will be a factor.

Bottom line, despite positive result it was a bad decision in my opinion. Hopefully it serves its purpose. I'll give Wayne credit for sticking with it, but hey even I can disagree with Wayne.

Thanks for reading, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
                            Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                            The Mule
                            Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Who knows what went into the decision to roll with Short over Adriano last night. Maybe Short had better practices. Maybe Adriano isn't quite healthy. We aren't in the locker room no matter how much we seem to think we are in the know. I fully expect that Drackett will be back in net for the next game. As for Short - I'm glad he got in a game in his senior year, but based on last night, he isn't much of a viable option to win games.

What is also important is that Brown and Girduckis got back on the scoring sheet. They are key players on offense and while Hammacker has been great lately, we need the captains to produce goals.

And I don't think Wayne would EVER pull his goalie with 6 minute to go in a 2 goal game during the regular season. That made things out of control and really that decision hurt Niagara. It was obvious Short was not playing well, so there should have been patience.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                                By "did it work?" the operative question is not "Did the team win?" but "Was the goalie change the primary factor in winning a game that the team would have lost if not for the goalie change?"

Powers &8^]
                                Well, this is a team sport and the only change in player personnel this week was the change of goallie. Can you propose another method of measuring the succuss or failure of Wilson's change other than the win?
                                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Working...
                                X