This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    And yet they did stack up 'on ice' during the first several weeks of the season, and kept up quite well with non-conference foes.

In other news, Myles Powell has been called up to Rochester in time for tomorrow's Amerks home game.

Powers &8^]
    I agree LtPowers, they certainly did play well early in the season. Let’s hope that they can resolve whatever is ailing them.
    Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 12-11-2018, 04:48 PM.
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

I'm probably going to get crucified for this but I've been posting with most of you for more than 10 years on this lovely forum and love to hear everyone's opinion.

Year in and year out RIT has the same exact problems. As the years go by each team is getting better with more scholarships and new barns. Coach Wilson was hired as a DIII coach for a team that was a little better than the middle of the pack. He was able to take the team to great success in the first few years due to his ability to find diamonds in the rough and an extremely weak conference.

A team like RIT needs to keep moving forward with its program or sooner or later it is doomed to fail. In order for RIT to become something they need to move conferences and need to get rid of Coach Wilson. If RIT is doomed to stay in the AHA we need scholarships but if the rules don't change RIT needs to get out of the AHA at all costs to move to the ECAC. It's hard to recruit players to pay a premium and only play in the AHA.

Am I surprised by RIT this year, no. Coach Wilson's teams every year have the same exact issues without fail. He is a great DIII coach. If things don't change at RIT, like scholarships, a change in conference or coaching this will happen every year. I still love RIT hockey with all my heart but RIT needs to keep moving forward and besides the new barn RIT has not made progress with its program.

A few years ago I was so angry that a program like RIT is in the middle of the pack of the AHA but without changes I'm not at all surprised. I wish these boys the best this season! GO TIGERS!
      R I T HOCKEY
      Frozen Four
      Elite Eight
      NCAA Tournament
      2010-2015-2016
      RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

• Originally posted by Rochester View Post
        I'm probably going to get crucified for this but I've been posting with most of you for more than 10 years on this lovely forum and love to hear everyone's opinion.

Year in and year out RIT has the same exact problems. As the years go by each team is getting better with more scholarships and new barns. Coach Wilson was hired as a DIII coach for a team that was a little better than the middle of the pack. He was able to take the team to great success in the first few years due to his ability to find diamonds in the rough and an extremely weak conference.

A team like RIT needs to keep moving forward with its program or sooner or later it is doomed to fail. In order for RIT to become something they need to move conferences and need to get rid of Coach Wilson. If RIT is doomed to stay in the AHA we need scholarships but if the rules don't change RIT needs to get out of the AHA at all costs to move to the ECAC. It's hard to recruit players to pay a premium and only play in the AHA.

Am I surprised by RIT this year, no. Coach Wilson's teams every year have the same exact issues without fail. He is a great DIII coach. If things don't change at RIT, like scholarships, a change in conference or coaching this will happen every year. I still love RIT hockey with all my heart but RIT needs to keep moving forward and besides the new barn RIT has not made progress with its program.

A few years ago I was so angry that a program like RIT is in the middle of the pack of the AHA but without changes I'm not at all surprised. I wish these boys the best this season! GO TIGERS!
        I won’t crucify you, I’ve been keeping the Fire Wayne Train well-maintained for its yearly voyage.

Comment

Rochester and I share the opinion that some Atlantic Hockey teams would benefit from a coaching change. It does seems Atlantic has finally grown up and it might be time to review coaching to see if it meets with the competitive direction the league wishes to pursue.

I believe Niagara & AIC over the last few years have changed coaching, it certainly isn't a surprise to me that those programs are hungry to win (with new coaching leadership) and it is paying dividends. I cannot speak to every program, but while scholarships have increased the mentality on some teams has to change from breaking even week to week to one of winning each and every night.

Please i do not follow RIT specifically and cannot comment there, but coaching in general i find lacking in Atlantic Hockey which at some point needs to be addressed as a league moving forward.

I also wish for the play-off format to change, eight (8) teams make it and three (3) teams go home. Has to be an incentive for teams to fight game in and game out, earn the post season rather than be given it for nothing.
          Last edited by Blitz; 12-11-2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
            He has been hung out to dry far too many times during this losing streak Blaze. I haven’t looked after this weekend but he had the best save percentage in Atlantic Hockey for goalies with more than a game under their belt. If there is something fundamentally wrong then sure, but he hasn’t lost it yet IMO. For the OOC games sure let the other guys get a chance. If we drop the next three against Niagara well, then we’re singing a different tune when changing the goalie might spark the defense to pick up their game..
            Agreed that he's having a good year but has hit the skids as of late. He's started every game this season and should take a break. Put Short in for y the last game before the break and bring Drackett back in January against Niagra hoping he's week rested and ready to go again. Hopefully, the rest of the team is ready as well.
            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

It's going to be a long night...

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
              Agreed that he's having a good year but has hit the skids as of late. He's started every game this season and should take a break. Put Short in for y the last game before the break and bring Drackett back in January against Niagra hoping he's week rested and ready to go again. Hopefully, the rest of the team is ready as well.
              Cause that worked out so well last year? Dracket's fine, even with the tough streak he is still .915 SV% Overal, the drop of in conference play is only .913. I don't think there been really any suspect goal off the top of my head either. You have a week in between games. Your on a 4 game losing streak playing a team that is rebuilding, but having a great first half giving their circumstances. I'd stick to your gun in net, he's been fine, he is not the problem...

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
              Rochester and I share the opinion that some Atlantic Hockey teams would benefit from a coaching change. It does seems Atlantic has finally grown up and it might be time to review coaching to see if it meets with the competitive direction the league wishes to pursue.

I believe Niagara & AIC over the last few years have changed coaching, it certainly isn't a surprise to me that those programs are hungry to win (with new coaching leadership) and it is paying dividends. I cannot speak to every program, but while scholarships have increased the mentality on some teams has to change from breaking even week to week to one of winning each and every night.

Please i do not follow RIT specifically and cannot comment there, but coaching in general i find lacking in Atlantic Hockey which at some point needs to be addressed as a league moving forward.

I also wish for the play-off format to change, eight (8) teams make it and three (3) teams go home. Has to be an incentive for teams to fight game in and game out, earn the post season rather than be given it for nothing.
              Deep breath...

As you said the league has grown up mainly with the coaches who are here now. They got us here and you say coaching is lacking, what evidence do you have?

Yes, Eric Lang has given a new Buzz to AIC and there are positive signs, but the results are not spectacular they are 7-7-1, all wins are in conference so that is positive. But Lang's overal record is 36-49-15. Niagara is off to another hot start under 2nd year coach Jason Lammers who literally cleaned house this summer. They had a nose dive second half last year so I want to see how this team finishes, Lammers to date record is 30-31-5. You also failed to mention 2nd year coach Trevor Large at Canisius. Now he walked into a team at the top of the league when Smith left for RPI, Canisius has only a slight drop off in their regular season record, but looked even more helpless when they got to Blue Cross. I think they are disappointing with their first half start of 6-8-1. I am not saying none of these guys are good, but the reality is that reality flies in the face of changing coach = wins, which is mostly a myth anyways.

Given the upsets in the AHA tournament, I think it would be a big mistake to not take everyone in the tournament. Especially when you consider the biggest selling point to recruits is a chance to play in the DI NCAA Tournament. All teams need that chance.

Originally posted by Rochester View Post

Well I definitely don't think you are Jesus so you can feel safe, but...

Even if RIT doesn't turn it around from this last two weekends, and think maybe they can remember before this they where off to the best start in the DI era, they still have another year to keep alive the streak of every player who played 4 years will leave winning at least one Championship. Think about, how many coaches in DI hockey, in College Athletics can say that. And how many D-III coaches have been to the NCAA Tournament 3 times, back to back just 2 years ago, and been to the Frozen Four and won the DI coach of the year. For good measure to your argument Wayne was good enough to win the D-III National Coach of the year...

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
              Tom, thank you for the shout out, appreciated. I thought you wrote you do not like to call anyone out?

Just curious, not coming at you in anyway. Where did you play hockey?
              If saying some of your points are valid is calling you out then I am guilty. People on here know if someone wants to pick a fight on here I try hard not to start it but I will definitely finish it.

If you really want to know my hockey experience, my father hated the sport and kept me out of it growing up. I had to run to pick up games when I was old enough too. I did do well in Football and Baseball and had SUNY-Cortland looking at me if that means anything to you.

I don't need my ego stroke but ask around if you are curious. While I won't claim to know the most about College Hockey, and Hockey in general, I'm more than confident in my understanding of the game and history, especially at the college level. And I know there are people here who do a lot and know a lot about Hockey who would back me...
              Last edited by Tom Naeger; 12-14-2018, 11:48 AM.
              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
              The Mule
              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

10 goals in two games....I vote no!
                9 goals in a few minutes more than two games, actually. There was one ENG.
                Can't we all just get along?
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Coach Wilson was hired as a DIII coach for a team that was a little better than the middle of the pack.
                  I'm not sure what Tiger teams you seem to be remembering, but prior to Coach Wilson, RIT had made the NCAA's in 94, 96, 97, 98, and 99, including a championship game appearance in 96. That success continued through Coach Wilson's first three years, including making another championship game appearance as an undefeated team in 2001 (choke). Once the previous regime's recruits had all moved on, the Tigers fortunes dropped off significantly each of the next three seasons, with the last D-III year being possibly one of the hardest to watch... (remember the thoroughly embarrassing Elmira game collapse?). One could argue that his record as a D-III coach on the ice was not terribly successful by RIT standards.
                  He was able to take the team to great success in the first few years due to his ability to find diamonds in the rough
                  Again... His "diamonds in the rough" managed a steady decline in the program's fortunes once they became the upper-classmen. Hoffberg's players were the core of the successful teams Coach Wilson had.
                  ...and an extremely weak conference.
                  I wouldn't go that far. ECAC West wasn't the NCHA certainly, but between RIT, Elmira and Manhattanville was certainly strong enough. It just wasn't big enough after the split with SUNYAC many years ago. Lebanon Valley, Neumann and Hobart didn't help much and the lack of an auto-bid to the NCAA's made it difficult, too. Shortly after RIT left though, even programs like Hobart and Neumann really stepped up their game and made that conference one of the best in the nation from top to bottom. I think they sent multiple teams to the D-III Frozen Four a couple times, if I'm not mistaken.
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    I'm not sure what Tiger teams you seem to be remembering, but prior to Coach Wilson, RIT had made the NCAA's in 94, 96, 97, 98, and 99, including a championship game appearance in 96. That success continued through Coach Wilson's first three years, including making another championship game appearance as an undefeated team in 2001 (choke). Once the previous regime's recruits had all moved on, the Tigers fortunes dropped off significantly each of the next three seasons, with the last D-III year being possibly one of the hardest to watch... (remember the thoroughly embarrassing Elmira game collapse?). One could argue that his record as a D-III coach on the ice was not terribly successful by RIT standards.
                    I'm sorry but I have got to push back against that, Wayne stepped into a mess. Hoffberg had left without much recruiting done, in fact didn't have a goaltender. There was a bunch of stuff I'm not going to mention, but even the jersey's were falling apart and had not been ordered. That is why the Tigers ended up with those simple Orange Uniforms that just said Tigers across the middle. It was pretty much a shock when RIT won the ECAC West Regular season and Tournament. I remember during the final broadcast of the season Randy saying "The Tiger certainly over achieved this season". Which was very true, with that young team no one expected a 22-7-1 season.

Lets look at some highlights of the D-III Wayne brought in.

2000-2001

Defense: Matt Moore, Ryan Francke, Mike Walling, Ryan Fairbarn. Matt and Mike were very solid all 4 years, Francke had skills like Galway, the decision making wasn't always there but he was very good. Ryan Fairbarn had a shot you did not want to get in the way off. Upfront, Mike Tarantino could have been the smartest players the Tigers ever had, at least in my time during D-III. Galway and him would make it close. He basically made the 2 second goal happen.

2001-2002

Small class. Jason Chafe, Roberto Orofiamma, Michael Tucciarone, and he got David Bagley from Geneseo. Bagley should have and would have been at RIT for 4 years if Wayne had anything to say about that. He was a great player. Jason Chafe could mix it up and scored some big goals for RIT, even if his attitude got the better of him at times. Orofiamma and Tucciarone I thought were fine players.

Darren Doherty - He would contribute a lot when D-I came around
                    Brent Macovi - Was very skilled, maybe would have liked to seen more numbers, but he was skill
                    Marc Hyman - No doubt he had skills if you watched him play, was a little soft, but he scored a big goal against Plattsburg
                    George Eliopoulos - Yeah he was interesting, I think all of us old timers would agree, but he did have the first ever D-I shutout in RIT history
                    Craig Hupp - I'm just throwing this one in for me, this was a very good kid I enjoyed watching him play

2003-2004

Tristan Fairbarn & Rob Tarantino, both had brothers on the team and did not quite reproduce their numbers, but good players. I will admit this was probably not his best year

2004-2005

Matt Harris, Brent Patry, Ricky Walton, Simon Lambert, Matt Smith, Darrell Draper, and Jocelyn Guimond (he had to sit out the year for playing some Major Juniors). For those who go back to the DI days you will remember these names. Lambert probably would have won National Player of the year in D-III if the jump was not made.

2005-2006

This was the first D-I mixed with playing D-III teams, given when the announcement was made it hard to tell if they would have come to RIT if they where not D-I, but I am sure at least some would have come if RIT was just a D-III team.

Justin Hofstetter
                    Jesse Newman
                    Steve Pinizzotto
                    Brennan Sarazin
                    Bobby Raymond
                    Louis Menard

Even if we assume we lose 2 or 3 of these players if they were not going D-I, I will say my only regret about going D-I was this team probably would have won a National Title at D-III , it could have made 2007 (Oswego for the old timers) very tough for me.

The best coaches in College Hockey have down turns, anyone see what Jerry York is going through right now? But now a days boy do things get spun out of context on the years they are down. What ****es me off, is much of this nonsense can be proven false if people just spent a little time googling things before they post.

We are talking about a man who in 20 seasons has a record of 346-235-63, 8 regular season league titles, 6 conference tournament titles, 2 Frozen Fours (DI,DIII), DIII coach of the year, and DI coach of the year. For some hick from Guelph that is dam impressive. I really love those saying, RIT needs to fire Wilson, get Scholarships, and go to the ECAC. Imagine what Wayne could do if he had Scholarships! Your like the guy saying the pro team is not bringing in enough talent, but fire the coach instead of the GM. Basically the same thing here, even though its college and Wayne does bring in players, no scholarships has been a handicap and he has the right to complain about it as much as you do saying he should be fire, but he hardly ever blames it, all though he does says it would be nice.

Look your welcome to type until your have carpal tunnel, and yet most of you will probably keep typing after that, saying Coach Wilson should be fired. But prepare yourself, it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. Unless he has a meltdown like Bob Knight or scandal like Joe Paterno, RIT will never fire Wayne Wilson, I just don't see that happen. Wayne will leave when he has had enough...
                    Last edited by Tom Naeger; 12-14-2018, 02:30 PM.
                    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                    The Mule
                    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

I never know where to fall on the Wayne Wilson debate. I believe I have argued in both directions through the years. There are absolutely some hallmarks of a Wayne Wilson team: playing up to good teams and playing down to bad teams, an overemphasis on "pretty" plays rather than generating shots, generally poor power play schemes (sometimes overcome by raw talent such as MGM line), complete goalie mismanagement when there is not a clear cut and dry every game guy.

Now thankfully I am pleased that he said before the season he was changing his attitude towards goaltending and has followed through, allowing Drackett the net even after a bad game or a string of losses. This is the first real change in coach's approach to anything with this team since 2011 so...I'll take it.

However it's also hard to argue with the D1 resume which is the most accomplished in the league save for possibly Serratore. We've won multiple regular season titles, even more AHA Championships, and have had more success in the NCAA tournament stage than the rest of the conference in our D1 era. Certainly the only one to make the Frozen Four, was the first #16 to beat a #1, and so on and so forth. Some of Wilson's alums are among the most successful AHA hockey pros to date, obviously headlined by Chris Tanev but we have had our share of AHL and ECHL success stories, I'd venture a guess to say more than any other single AHA team.

Whether or not Wilson is who we need to take the next step forward is unknown to me, but he's certainly a top 2 coach in the Conference based on the data since he joined the league. Who is going to be better than him and still willing to come to Atlantic Hockey? I suspect not too many.
                      Last edited by RIT Winters; 12-14-2018, 02:42 PM.
                      RIT

Comment

Does anyone know if RIT is still pressing hard for scholarships?
                        R I T HOCKEY
                        Frozen Four
                        Elite Eight
                        NCAA Tournament
                        2010-2015-2016
                        RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

I took the week off the message boards and boy howdy did I miss a lot. I didn't mean to take the whole week, but it just happened.

I don't want to go back down the recruiting/scholarship rabbit hole. That topic has been talked to death. All I have to add is that recruiting isn't everything. Once the recruits come, you have to coach them to make them better. Give me a 3 star recruit that's willing to work over 5 star recruits who are lazy. I will bet after 4 years of that, the 3 star is as good if not better than the 5 star.

While I am a fan of having a stable goaltending situation, I felt that Saturday's game should have been a start for Short or Adriano. Not that Drackett has been horrible, but sometimes, I think stepping back for a game can help refocus or shake up the players that are playing to snap out of this funk they are in. I would not do that Saturday against Niagara because it's not a 2 game weekend. I would like to see what happens after the holiday break to see if a shakeup is needed.

The team needs the Brown/Girduckis line to get back on track and scoring again. The top line is in a scoring drought and that does not help. I think if they get back on track, everything will start coming together again.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally Posted by blazer777
                            Agreed that he's having a good year but has hit the skids as of late. He's started every game this season and should take a break. Put Short in for the last game before the break and bring Drackett back in January against Niagara hoping he's week rested and ready to go again. Hopefully, the rest of the team is ready as well.
                            Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post

Cause that worked out so well last year? Dracket's fine, even with the tough streak he is still .915 SV% Overal, the drop of in conference play is only .913. I don't think there been really any suspect goal off the top of my head either. You have a week in between games. Your on a 4 game losing streak playing a team that is rebuilding, but having a great first half giving their circumstances. I'd stick to your gun in net, he's been fine, he is not the problem...
                            I'm talking one game here, not a rotation for the goalies.
                            RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                              9 goals in a few minutes more than two games, actually. There was one ENG.
                              You are correct, I saw it later but was being too lazy to drop the count by the empty netter. I will try to do better in the future.
                              RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                                an overemphasis on "pretty" plays rather than generating shots
                                This is the strange one, because he always decries that overemphasis in postgame interviews. So it doesn't seem like the overemphasis is coming from him -- at least, not intentionally.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X