This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

6-5-2 is a .538 winning pct. and you’re losing 5 out of 13. Half empty or half full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
      6-5-2 is a .538 winning pct. and you’re losing 5 out of 13. Half empty or half full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      No matter what, you're at half something. I'd prefer not to be middling at .500 relying on ties to save the actual percentage.
      RIT

Comment

So....clinching scenarios (yes, it's that time of year). Right now, RIT can finish anywhere from 1st to 10th. Which means, more importantly, that they still can be anywhere from winning the league, to traveling in the first round of the playoffs. Let's look at how this weekend's results affect that. This all gets complicated due to everyone playing everyone (obviously everyone can't win out - if two teams are playing each other on a given night, those teams must drop 2 points among them). Due to AIC being off this week, the only way RIT can be eliminated from Conference championship contention is if they drop 3 points this weekend. No outside results can eliminate them from contention.

This week's scenarios:

RIT SWEEP:
        - Alone this does not clinch even a 1st round home series, believe it or not. There's a scenario where 9 of 11 teams could have 29 points or more, with Robert Morris and Canisius bringing up the rear.
        - As long as Holy Cross and Army don't both sweep the weekend (against RoMo and Mercyhurst, respectively), RIT will clinch at least a first round home series.
        - If Niagara takes less than 2 points against Bentley, RIT still clinches a 1st round home series.
        - RIT controls own destiny for first round bye and home ice in the 2nd round.

RIT takes 3 points:
        - A Robert Morris - Holy Cross split would clinch at least a 1st round home playoff series.
        - Army taking 1 point or less would clinch at least a 1st round home playoff series.
        - RIT would clinch a first round home playoff series if Niagara is swept vs Bentley
        - RIT controls own destiny for first round bye and home ice in the 2nd round.

RIT SPLIT:
        - RIT clinches a first round home playoff series if Mercyhurst sweeps Army and Holy Cross/Robert Morris does not split.
        - RIT controls destiny for first round bye and home ice in the 2nd round (Thanks to Mercyhurst and Air Force playing each other next weekend)

RIT takes 1 point:
        - RIT can no longer win the conference
        - RIT controls own destiny for a bye if Air Force and Mercyhurst combine to drop 2 points this weekend
        - RIT controls own destiny for a bye and home ice in the 2nd round of the playoffs if Air Force is swept and Mercyhurst drops 3 points this weekend

RIT takes 0 points:
        - RIT can no longer win the conference
        - RIT controls own destiny for a bye only if Air Force and Mercyhurst combine to drop 4 points this weekend
        - RIT can no longer control their own destiny for a bye and a second round home playoff series.

I didn't go into tiebreakers (particularly because there are a lot of teams that could potentially end up tied at any given point total), so it's possible further clinching scenarios exist (such as sweeping the weekend to clinch a first round home playoff series - as long as we don't finish last in the huge multi-team tiebreaker that could happen at 29 points, we would clinch a 1st round home playoff series there.)
        Last edited by jflory81; 02-13-2019, 08:06 PM. Reason: Added scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          No matter what, you're at half something. I'd prefer not to be middling at .500 relying on ties to save the actual percentage.
          Struggling is a four game losing streak that RIT had in November, or a 2-6-2 stretch that NU is on, or the 1-7-1 stretch HC started the AHA season with. A winning record, (which by the way 6-5-2 really is, whether you agree or not), is not really "struggling", in most cases. It is "middling" as you call it, but I never said anything about them being hot or tearing it up or anything ridiculous like that.
          It's not really a question of what you prefer. Words mean what they mean. Nobody prefers to be around .500. All teams prefer to play 1.000 all the time. But that's not likely. 6-5-2 is certainly preferred for a team that started 1-7-1. Although by that same token, one could say that everything is relative. A team that starts the season 9-0-0 might just say they're struggling if they suddenly went 6-5-2.
          Can't we all just get along?
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

You could wash away any season for any team in any sport with the line "a few breaks here and there go differently and..."

At the end of the day you are what your record says you are. RMU and Niagara both having losing records in conference (and are worse overall) and are teams that we need to beat.
            I don't disagree with any of that. I think you missed the point. My point was that as tight as this conference is, there isn't such a huge difference between the abilities of the 3th place and 8th place teams that we can sit here and say that RIT should have beaten HC just because they're lower in the standings. RIT has proven to be better so far this season, but not all that much better that winning those games is a fait accompli. Hard work and attention to detail (and maybe a few breaks) are the only things that are going to get RIT wins against anyone in this conference, including those in the bottom half of the standings.
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Anybody familiar with parking in our around the Webster Bank Areana?

Is it plentiful and what the cost is?
              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Here's a link to parking. Not sure what the parking is like during the business day. The arena should be mostly empty. http://www.websterbankarena.com/View...CLID=205157093

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                  Here's a link to parking. Not sure what the parking is like during the business day. The arena should be mostly empty. http://www.websterbankarena.com/View...CLID=205157093
                  Thanks Ed. I was on there site yesterday but missed this done how. I'll be catching the late game on Saturday!
                  RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    Oh come on, now. We all know there is not a whole lot of difference between the middle and bottom of this conference. Regardless of who you play, going 6-5-2 over 13 games is not "struggling", especially for a team that lost nearly all of their games prior to that. Part of the reason some of those opponents are in the bottom half or going in the wrong direction is because HC beat them. A few breaks here and there go differently and maybe HC, NU, Army and or RMU are fighting for the last three byes while RIT, AFA, MU and or SHU are battling for the last two first round home ice spots.
                    You arguing semantics. Bentley and AIC are a perfect 6-0 against Holy Cross this season. So if you want to argue middle to bottom fine, I really don't care, it's irrelevant despite what some may think I like finishing in the top. I hope your right about Holy Cross though because Bentley has two more games with them and Air Force stops there for two. Simply put these are the games you want to feast on because they are capable. Yes, Holy Cross is not just going to lay down, and I give them credit for that, but they are by far a young team and really not surprise where they are this year in the standings. This missing two points has great potential to loom large come end of regular season...

So you're saying winning 6 games out of every 13 is....not struggling? You must be a Bills/Sabres fan.
                    Ok Winters said something funny, I like it. To put some perspective on it I'm a disgruntled Bills/Sabres Fan...

Can I get some Half and Half? All though I do prefer Irish Cream... Yeah I have not had my Coffee this morning can you tell?

I'm probably the wrong denomination.
                    Maybe if I go with you next time it will help, I am a Roman Catholic in supposedly good standing with the church. No one in the Church wants to crucify me, not sure about the message board or some former goaltenders

Campbell might be a tough sell, I am not sure if he has religion outside of the Red Sox

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                    Anybody familiar with parking in our around the Webster Bank Areana?

Is it plentiful and what the cost is?
                    I went back in 2011, there was a parking garage near the arena, at the time it seemed reasonable from what I remember.
                    Last edited by Tom Naeger; 02-14-2019, 10:01 AM.
                    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                    The Mule
                    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

It's fair to say that RIT missed out on a great opportunity to give themselves some breathing rooms as they fight for at least a first round bye with that loss. Holy Cross has not been playing well most of the year, but was able to get a split. Sacred Heart has been playing well and is making a move for a bye. RIT will need to get at least a split out of this weekend.
                      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2010 Frozen Four participant
                      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Thank you Ed and Tom. The garage looks like the best option. Oh by the way. Bentley won again last night. Looks like them and AIC will be the teams to beat this year.
                        RIT Tigers

Comment

“Some keys for the Tigers this morning”

Never heard that before. 😄
                          RPI Engineers
                          RIT Tigers
                          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                            “Some keys for the Tigers this morning”

Never heard that before. 😄
                            2-0 after two for the Tigers. The dreaded two goal lead. SHU will bring it in the 3rd period.
                            RPI Engineers
                            RIT Tigers
                            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                              2-0 after two for the Tigers. The dreaded two goal lead. SHU will bring it in the 3rd period.
                              Got it done. Nice job Tigers and nice job radio guys. Kind of a weird game day but it is what it is, a nice win. So does anybody come back to the rink/court tonight to watch the Harlem Globetrotters? Scott? 😄
                              RPI Engineers
                              RIT Tigers
                              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Well thank you Mr. Drackett for that amazing game. Not sure I'm happy much with the rest of the play, but if they get goaltending like that and a good effort they could walk out with a sweep and help forget about the Saturday Night Holy Cross game...
                                Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                                The Mule
                                Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Working...
                                X