This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

You're right Tom it was text book and should be called every time. The point is that it wasn't called every time, just that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
      I just watch a NESN Replay. I'm a lot more upset with the Tigers than the officials. They basically let them play, I'm sorry I gotta disagree with my buddy Matt Cambell (from what I heard though the WITR guys had a terrible vantage point) the Interference call on Willet was text book and should be call every-time. With these officials the excuse that well they aren't calling it tonight (which was a little debatable, I thought it was pretty clean on tape) is just not smart in a tie game. Of any of the calls, I thought maybe the one on Petrucci was a dive, hard to tell they cut away quickly. I think we just get to used to belly-aching over the officiating. Not that there not reason to complain, but this was a game that was there to be taken and if you can't take a game you have in hand and beat minor bad officiating your in trouble when you run into a much better team with bad officiating.

The game winning goal pretty much summed it up. McKay loses an edge, I still don't know how he had no one near him and just had to make a simple cut and the rush is neutralized. Drackett was not even close in making the save. This honestly may have been his worst weekend, he biggest improvement this season has been making that big save and he struggled really both nights. I think Wilson was very right in saying he's got to make the save, and not pinning it on him, the team as a whole deserved this loss. They are showing a bad pattern of not playing well in the 3rd period this season. And it's bitterly disappointing to get out played in the clutch against a team that is struggling as much as Holy Cross. Give them credit though they deserve it. RIT probably can kiss their chance for a regular season title away now, and may miss a first round bye.

Last couple of years, the really suspect for this team has just been explainable brain fart moments at the worst times. They've covered it up with better play this season, but still it has shownit's ugly head at time. This team has to be better in the third if they are going anywhere come playoff time...
      Spot on Tom..unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to listen to the game as I was at the Army-AIC game. I will say AIC is the best team I’ve seen in Atlantic Hockey this year and they deserve to be in the first spot. It’s just crazy that RIT has had their number this year. Army came out with a strong push midway through the second after going down 3-0. After getting back to 3-1, the momentum and crowd got into it at Tate and the tide seemed to be turning towards the cadets favor. However as soon as Army made it three to one and seemingly had AIC on their heels AIC answered right back to make it 4-1, like a cold slap in the face. They skated hard until the final whistle.

With the Tigers game last night, we heard or read coaches comments about the teams play late in the game. Was a timeout called at anytime to try to get the team to regroup? Was it a case of playing down to the competition? We’ve discussed that before. Just can’t let off the gas.

RIT will have their work cut out down the stretch. I still see the Friday game at SHU listed at an 11:05AM start time? Is this for real? If so that is kind of strange. Just kidding but maybe SHU can come to West Point for a 3:05pm game against the Tigers on the front end of Army and Mercyhurst later that night at 7:05pm? Do the same on Saturday. 😀
      Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 02-10-2019, 03:26 PM.
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Officiating was within AHA norms (read that as you like) and perhaps better than average and was not the determining factor in the outcome. You can’t take the attitude that you have two opponents, anyhow. I think things were let go but not in a terribly lopsided way in favor of one team.

The timeout that did make a difference was Holy Cross with about 9:00 left in the second after RIT went up 3-1. RIT seemed to have them on their heels a bit at that point. Once HC scored on the power play to make it 3-2, the Crusaders had the momentum and just dominated the last 5 minutes of the second and the majority of the third.

It would have been nice to see RIT play with some visible determination to put Holy Cross away when it was 3-1. But if you can’t clear the puck, don’t back check strongly, and get out hustled, this is the result. There just didn’t seem to be the killer instinct.

One bright spot: some lesser used players got ice time and showed they deserved it. I’m hoping we see more of them.

Comment

And yes, a ridiculous 11:05 start time Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
            (from what I heard though the WITR guys had a terrible vantage point)
            Instead of being in the press area at center ice like we have been since they built it, we were set up on a folding table behind the stands about 10 feet inside the zone RIT defended twice. We couldn't see well along the near boards and couldn't see the left wing boards or corner or within 5 feet of the boards on the far end. The TV cameras and broadcast were high on the opposite side from us. Willett's interference penalty came on the near side to us and there was little we could see. Also, because we were exiled from the press box, we could not see any replays.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
              One bright spot: some lesser used players got ice time and showed they deserved it. I’m hoping we see more of them.
              I love Bruce's game right now and hope this is the start of more.

This week's games is really big now. They need at least a split, need that first round bye.

BTW, I certainly don't want to be accused of praising AHA officiating, but I do think there are bigger fish to fry and Ed summed it up well.

And sucks on your broadcast spot, I was wondering how you were having trouble telling the difference between Willett and Peacock. That was really funny!
              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
              The Mule
              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                Instead of being in the press area at center ice like we have been since they built it, we were set up on a folding table behind the stands about 10 feet inside the zone RIT defended twice. We couldn't see well along the near boards and couldn't see the left wing boards or corner or within 5 feet of the boards on the far end. The TV cameras and broadcast were high on the opposite side from us. Willett's interference penalty came on the near side to us and there was little we could see. Also, because we were exiled from the press box, we could not see any replays.
                Maybe going to church a little more would help your next visit to Worshshchester! 😀
                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                  Maybe going to church a little more would help your next visit to Worshshchester! 😀
                  I'm probably the wrong denomination.

Comment

Originally posted by unscarred76 View Post
                    Ugh cant lose to a garbage team like that. Awful with a 3-1 lead - no its not acceptable - top to bottom is not a even in AHC we lost to a terrible team (this year)
                    5-4-2 in their last 11 AHA games prior to the RIT games. Not tearing it up, but certainly not "garbage".
                    Can't we all just get along?
                    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I'm a lot more upset with the Tigers than the officials.
                      I don't think you're alone in that.
                      This is the typical game that gets (I'm guessing) most of us so frustrated even though it is only their second conference loss this calendar year (6-2-2). We've all seen how well this team is capable of playing (4-0 vs AIC, nearly having 4 or 5 NC wins, etc.), but then they go out and crap the bed so they nearly blow both two goal leads on the weekend. Inconsistency in many areas (puck control, team defense, even goaltending, etc...) is killing this team. It just seems like the effort level suddenly drops and they don't seem to be able or willing to recover sometimes.

And it's bitterly disappointing to get out played in the clutch against a team that is struggling as much as Holy Cross.
                      As I stated earlier, HC was 5-4-2 in their last 11 AHA contests prior to this past weekend (two of the losses were against AIC). Hardly struggling compared to the putrid first half of the season for them.

RIT probably can kiss their chance for a regular season title away now, and may miss a first round bye.
                      AIC and Bentley are making sure of the regular season title part of that. Even if the Tigers had won Saturday, it would have been tough the way those two are playing.
                      As far as the first round bye, a lot can change certainly, but it's looking like a four team race for three spots at this point. Win the two games against SHU (no small task) and they'll be in good position to stay in the top 5 (5 point lead with 4 games remaining), but even with those two wins would still need 2 more wins in the last 4.
                      Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 02-11-2019, 12:18 PM.
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post

As I stated earlier, HC was 5-4-2 in their last 11 AHA contests prior to this past weekend (two of the losses were against AIC). Hardly struggling compared to the putrid first half of the season for them.

AIC and Bentley are making sure of the regular season title part of that. Even if the Tigers had won Saturday, it would have been tough the way those two are playing.
                        As far as the first round bye, a lot can change certainly, but it's looking like a four team race for three spots at this point. Win the two games against SHU (no small task) and they'll be in good position to stay in the top 5 (5 point lead with 4 games remaining), but even with those two wins would still need 2 more wins in the last 4.
                        The five wins are against teams going in the wrong direction or near the bottom of the league. RMU, Mercyhurst, Niagara (plus a tie), only real exception is Sacred Heart I'll give em. But the point here is the reason AIC is looking so good is they are taking care of business against these teams at the bottom of the league, infact they are feasting on them. Also don't forget that AIC has a lot of games in hand, granted all wins, but RIT could have still overtook them by winning those games. I felt that if they could have great shot with a sweep at Holy Cross and a split at SHU they would be in good shape with a very favorable schedule at the back end. And unless I missed a memo, 5 teams get buy, 6 play in the first round. So a split at SHU is needed at the least, a sweep would give them a shot again at the regular season title. But yes the loss to Holy Cross has reduced the margin of error for a first round bye.

I don't know will see what happen, RIT didn't beat AIC 4 times with luck. They have the talent and when that talent performs I honestly think they are the best team in the league. But they have this odd habit of taking extremely dumb penalties, poor decision making, and lack of compete level that has plagued this team for the last 2 + years. If they avoid those self inflicted wounds, they will be in the NCAAs, if not we can get a repeat of the last two seasons.

Not sure if that is to harsh or not, but it's that time of the year where we find out who are the boys and who are the men...
                        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule
                        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Playing with leads has been a problem all season. They played with fire a little bit in both of the road AIC games and the first Holy Cross game, but it finally came back to bite them in the Saturday game. They've lost 5 games already in which they've had a 3rd period lead this year. Sacred Heart got them twice like that earlier in the year, so hopefully they can start to put their foot on their throat if they open up a couple goal lead in the middle period this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                            Playing with leads has been a problem all season. They played with fire a little bit in both of the road AIC games and the first Holy Cross game, but it finally came back to bite them in the Saturday game. They've lost 5 games already in which they've had a 3rd period lead this year. Sacred Heart got them twice like that earlier in the year, so hopefully they can start to put their foot on their throat if they open up a couple goal lead in the middle period this time.
                            I watched how AIC handled Army’s push into the O zone this weekend. They had no problem clearing the zone by lifting the puck out to Center ice and letting Army try again. No fancy break out passes or anything cute where a bad turnover might occur. AIC would do it once, twice or three times and then finally dump the puck into Army’s end, forecheck, get a steal and look for a teammate rushing the front of the net. Pass right onto the blade of the stick, boom, goal. If that was Coach Lang’s plan his team executed it to perfection. Doesn’t have to be pretty it just has to be effective.
                            RPI Engineers
                            RIT Tigers
                            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

And unless I missed a memo, 5 teams get buy, 6 play in the first round.
                              I'm not sure if you're agreeing with what I said or not. We all know how many teams go to which round. My point was that the way the standings shape up at the moment, it looks like there is in essence a four-way race for the last three first round byes. Air Force, RIT, Mercyhurst and Sacred Heart are all within one point of each other at 3, 4, 5, and 6. The only head-to-head matchups in that foursome remaining are the two this weekend between RIT and SHU and a pair between Mercyhurst and Air Force in Erie later. If either of those series ends up in a sweep (although unlikely), the victor will be in great position to lock up one of the top five spots.
                              Of course the way things go in this conference, both of those series will split, AIC and Bentley will find their way back to this pack and Niagara will get hot and close their gap as well. Then that four team race becomes a seven team mess and this analysis can be thrown out the window.

The five wins are against teams going in the wrong direction or near the bottom of the league. RMU, Mercyhurst, Niagara (plus a tie), only real exception is Sacred Heart I'll give em.
                              Oh come on, now. We all know there is not a whole lot of difference between the middle and bottom of this conference. Regardless of who you play, going 6-5-2 over 13 games is not "struggling", especially for a team that lost nearly all of their games prior to that. Part of the reason some of those opponents are in the bottom half or going in the wrong direction is because HC beat them. A few breaks here and there go differently and maybe HC, NU, Army and or RMU are fighting for the last three byes while RIT, AFA, MU and or SHU are battling for the last two first round home ice spots.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                                Oh come on, now. We all know there is not a whole lot of difference between the middle and bottom of this conference. Regardless of who you play, going 6-5-2 over 13 games is not "struggling", especially for a team that lost nearly all of their games prior to that. Part of the reason some of those opponents are in the bottom half or going in the wrong direction is because HC beat them. A few breaks here and there go differently and maybe HC, NU, Army and or RMU are fighting for the last three byes while RIT, AFA, MU and or SHU are battling for the last two first round home ice spots.
                                So you're saying winning 6 games out of every 13 is....not struggling? You must be a Bills/Sabres fan.

You could wash away any season for any team in any sport with the line "a few breaks here and there go differently and..."

At the end of the day you are what your record says you are. RMU and Niagara both having losing records in conference (and are worse overall) and are teams that we need to beat.
                                RIT

Comment

Working...
                                X