X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    To beat those guys you have to play the patience game. Don't give them anything, sit back, make them shoot from outside, wait for a break.
    I don't think RIT will ever play that type of game as long as Wayne Wilson is the coach. (Except maybe if it's the NCAA tournament and they're up on an otherwise superior team.)

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
      Must be nice being able to recruit a team on scholarships...
      I'm sure it is, but 7 of the other teams in AHA have scholarships to offer and they're no better than RIT overall.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        I don't think RIT will ever play that type of game as long as Wayne Wilson is the coach. (Except maybe if it's the NCAA tournament and they're up on an otherwise superior team.)

Powers &8^]
        I would agree that is not RIT's preferred style under coach Wilson.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
          I'm sure it is, but 7 of the other teams in AHA have scholarships to offer and they're no better than RIT overall.

Powers &8^]
          I am highly skeptical that RIT, Union, and most of the Ivies aren't getting their players scholarships of one sort or another. Brown and Dartmouth, okay, I'm buying it. Everyone else, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
            I am highly skeptical that RIT, Union, and most of the Ivies aren't getting their players scholarships of one sort or another. Brown and Dartmouth, okay, I'm buying it. Everyone else, not so much.
            Scholarships/Aid are allowed as long as it comes from a pool that is available to everyone that qualifies. RIT gets a lot of foreign students, so there is money there to help them. Not coincidently, a lot of RIT hockey players are Canadian so they can get some of that aid.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
              Scholarships/Aid are allowed as long as it comes from a pool that is available to everyone that qualifies. RIT gets a lot of foreign students, so there is money there to help them. Not coincidently, a lot of RIT hockey players are Canadian so they can get some of that aid.
              They have to be careful (*cough*Geneseo*cough*) about that one. They just can't hand those out to athletes at will.
              Can't we all just get along?
              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                They have to be careful (*cough*Geneseo*cough*) about that one. They just can't hand those out to athletes at will.
                Brown was heating up, if #6 is out, Brown will not have much space. #12 is not the same on that line. Injuries.

Comment

Agreed there. I'm just stating a way that many RIT hockey players can get aid.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
                    Brown was heating up, if #6 is out, Brown will not have much space. #12 is not the same on that line. Injuries.
                    It would have been interesting to see what a full healthy team could have done against Arizona State. I don't think Valenzuela will be out a long period of time. Not having a top line player shows how your line combinations play together.

If they play like they did the second game (and really, even most of the first game), the Tigers should win most if not all of their remaining conference games.

Comment

I would agree that is not RIT's preferred style under coach Wilson.
                      Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating switching systems. What I'm saying is don't forecheck two guys deep and be especially cognizant of the floaters and breakout scheme they use.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

It was more than just Geneseo... A bunch of schools inadvertently fell afoul of that regulation.

And just so everyone knows, RIT has to follow D3 rules when it comes to "money."
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Coaches ARE and should be judged on wins and losses over the course of multiple entire seasons. That's because if they are routinely making the "right decisions", it should translate into more wins than losses, ultimately. You're correct that within one shift, one period, one game, even one or a couple series not all decisions can be reasonably expected to result in the corresponding wins and losses because of the many other factors involved. Over the long term however, they really should.
                          This comment from earlier this season struck me at the time I read it and it rings more true every day, especially after witnessing this weekends thrashing by Arizona St.

If you go back and look through the yearly threads for the program since Wilson took over the themes are shockingly the same. Undisciplined penalties, uneven play (the Friday vs. Saturday performance observation has been observed in other seasons), handling of goaltenders, questions about talent level, playing down to competition, inability to compete outside the conference, etc. Once you cycle through several recruiting classes, the focus has to move off the players and on to those who are coaching and recruiting them. You can dismiss a miss here or there on a player or 2 in a recruiting class here or there. But when you see the the same themes over and over, you can't ignore the maxim "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

It's getting old. Quickly We talk every year about the same issues, make the same observations, get the same product on the ice. It's not good enough anymore. If you have followed this program all your life the lack of growth and success has to alarm you I would think. We are a mediocre team in a mediocre league. If you thought this is what the school, the program and its supporters signed up for when it started, I guess you are satisfied. But I don't think that is what anyone wanted.

We can talk all we want about what scholarships can or can't do, what a conference change would mean, etc. It's great. However, I think if this program is going to succeed it is going to have to do it by making change. Change that some will find painful, distasteful, disrespectful. I think its about time we strongly consider whether or not Coach Wilson is the man to head this program. Period. There. I've gone ahead and put the elephant in the room.
                          Skate every shift like its your last

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideTigersFan View Post
                            I think its about time we strongly consider whether or not Coach Wilson is the man to head this program. Period. There. I've gone ahead and put the elephant in the room.
                            I don't see any way Wilson gets fired, especially three years removed from a conference championship. Unless we go at least four years, more likely six, mired in the AHA basement, the job is his until he's ready to retire.

As for your recurring themes, I think both the penalty issue and the goaltending management are much improved this year, don't you?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by WestsideTigersFan View Post
                              This comment from earlier this season struck me at the time I read it and it rings more true every day, especially after witnessing this weekends thrashing by Arizona St.
                              Were you actually at the games or just look at the box score? RIT outshot A-State on Friday, and would have been in it for a few bad bounces and a couple soft goals in the end from the backup goalie. Saturday, with Drackett back in net, RIT played another good game to just come up short. Don't forget, A-State is ranked and more importantly, #8 in Pairwise so this is not some bottom feeder team they played.

If you go back and look through the yearly threads for the program since Wilson took over the themes are shockingly the same. Undisciplined penalties, uneven play (the Friday vs. Saturday performance observation has been observed in other seasons), handling of goaltenders, questions about talent level, playing down to competition, inability to compete outside the conference, etc. Once you cycle through several recruiting classes, the focus has to move off the players and on to those who are coaching and recruiting them. You can dismiss a miss here or there on a player or 2 in a recruiting class here or there. But when you see the the same themes over and over, you can't ignore the maxim "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"
                              The penalty situation is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. As for goaltending, Wilson settled on Drackett early as the #1 and only didn't play him after a 5 game losing streak, where you could argue that he waited too long. Adriano's streak game with Drackett being injured. Also, Drakett is a whole lot better than last year. Coach Wilson was trying to win games with inconsistent and often mediocre goaltending. Drackett's improvement is the biggest reason RIT is contending for a conference title and has a reasonable chance to win the AHA tournament.

I don't know where you get not being competitive in non-conference play this year came from. RIT could have easily been 4-2 instead of 2-4. The had a chance against Lowell in the game they lost and gave up a 3 goal lead to Northeastern - not exactly teams that are terrible.
                              It's getting old. Quickly We talk every year about the same issues, make the same observations, get the same product on the ice. It's not good enough anymore. If you have followed this program all your life the lack of growth and success has to alarm you I would think. We are a mediocre team in a mediocre league. If you thought this is what the school, the program and its supporters signed up for when it started, I guess you are satisfied. But I don't think that is what anyone wanted.
                              What kind of growth are you looking for? I don't think RIT is a mediocre team - just one that has had a couple down years where they were still not near the bottom of the league. This year's team looks to be much better than that. As for a mediocre league - that's actually a step UP from where the league was before. The bottom teams are way more competitive now than they were back then. Just what exactly is it that you expect?
                              We can talk all we want about what scholarships can or can't do, what a conference change would mean, etc. It's great. However, I think if this program is going to succeed it is going to have to do it by making change. Change that some will find painful, distasteful, disrespectful. I think its about time we strongly consider whether or not Coach Wilson is the man to head this program. Period. There. I've gone ahead and put the elephant in the room.
                              What is your definition of success? NCAA tournament appearances? RIT has 3 under Coach Willson - the last one was 2 years ago. Conference regular season titles? Admittedly, it's been a while for one of those, but the 2 tournament titles since make up for it. Frozen Fours? - Coach Wilson checks off that box. National Titles? That's a tall order.

Comment

Were you actually at the games or just look at the box score? RIT outshot A-State on Friday, and would have been in it for a few bad bounces and a couple soft goals in the end from the backup goalie. Saturday, with Drackett back in net, RIT played another good game to just come up short. Don't forget, A-State is ranked and more importantly, #8 in Pairwise so this is not some bottom feeder team they played
                                Frankly, it sounds like you're the one reading from a boxscore in an attempt to make Friday's game look better than it really was here. They were badly outplayed for all but about 10 minutes in the 2nd period where they were ascendant when they were down 3 goals. Everything outside of that 10 minutes came from the outside and had very little chance of beating a good keeper. Then, once they scored, Arizona State turned the screws and not only allowed just 7 shots over the final 22 minutes or so but scored 3 more times to put the game away. Yes, there were a couple soft goals, but there were plenty of other grade-A chances Arizona State had that didn't go in. The SOG total of this game was deceiving - RIT was never really in the game while it was close.

Originally posted by komey
                                What kind of growth are you looking for? I don't think RIT is a mediocre team - just one that has had a couple down years where they were still not near the bottom of the league. This year's team looks to be much better than that. As for a mediocre league - that's actually a step UP from where the league was before. The bottom teams are way more competitive now than they were back then. Just what exactly is it that you expect?
                                Mediocre might be harsh when describing RIT with regards to the rest of the conference, but they have been barely above average in winning percentage for about 7-8 years. To be exact, from 2012-2019 they are a grand total of 5 games over .500 over 186 games. That's a .513 winning percentage over 7 years of play. I'm not sure mediocre sounds too far off. It sounds more like a mediocre team got hot at the right time a couple of times than any consistent performance over that span. (I think the Garbowski team was legitimately great by the end of the year, but I do not feel the same way about the year after - I feel that team did just get hot at the right time.) Certainly they have a chance to end this season on a high note and even compete for the regular season championship for the first time in that span, particularly with what their schedule is coming down the home stretch, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch. They could just as easily struggle with the poor teams down the stretch, limp to the finish line, and end up having to play in the first round yet again.

As for the conference, mediocre is being kind. For all the improvements the bottom of the league has made, the conference is still playing less than .300 hockey against the rest of the country - lower than the last two seasons (when it peaked at .330), and even at .330 you're still looking at the worst conference in college hockey.

I do think it's a little bit ridiculous to downplay what Wilson has done at the D-1 level (particularly in the early days), and I'd like to wait to see what the end result of this season is and where the team is trending at that point before making any sweeping judgements about much of anything, but I do think that if this team fails to reach the last 4 in the conference again, that some conversations may need to at least begin.

Comment

Working...
                                X