X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    ...was that some recruits that seemed highly touted (unless I am misremembering things) becoming excellent role players.
    I think that can be said of a lot of recruits coming in. I don't follow the recruiting scene really at all outside of this forum, but it seems like most of the players we get put up numbers in juniors. So as a fan who never follows those leagues and has never seen them play, I (and I assume a large number of RIT fans aside from Tom) have absolutely no idea what kind of player they will turn out to be when they get here. I'm sure the coaching staff has a pretty good idea how they'll fit in and what their role will likely be early on, but most of us do not, necessarily, until we see the results. I can recall at least a couple of times where a freshman came in with junior numbers and got himself a few goals in his first game or two, leading to a belief (by us who don't know any better) that he might be the next top-line star. More often than not, he doesn't end up being that guy, but what we didn't know is that it was never the plan. He just had an aberration of a great game or two right out of the gate. So some of those are unfairly painted as "disappointments", when really they weren't.
    I think I've actually accused this team during down times of having a team full of very good role players and no stars to populate that top line that opponents have to scheme for. I agree that they have a bunch of talent, but they either don't have enough game-plan-disrupting talent at the top end or the guys that would be that aren't having very good years. Although right now I'm not sure how much that theory holds out. Last season Brown was without a doubt in that category with Powell certainly in the conversation as well, but the team didn't do well at all. This year, the team has looked very good (more often than not), despite the facts that Powell is gone (and arguably hasn't been replaced yet) and Brown is not having his best year by any means. A lot of very talented role players are stepping up and filling those voids... most of the time.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
      I agree that they have a bunch of talent, but they either don't have enough game-plan-disrupting talent at the top end or the guys that would be that aren't having very good years. Although right now I'm not sure how much that theory holds out. Last season Brown was without a doubt in that category with Powell certainly in the conversation as well, but the team didn't do well at all. This year, the team has looked very good (more often than not), despite the facts that Powell is gone (and arguably hasn't been replaced yet) and Brown is not having his best year by any means. A lot of very talented role players are stepping up and filling those voids... most of the time.
      I think the difference from last year to this was the breakout of Drackett putting up league average or better numbers (something all 3 goalies failed to do last year) and our defense playing a more responsible two way game. The scoring really has not necessarily been there for us, and as you note we certainly do not have a line or even a player we can really count on when we really need to get something going. Instead, we need our D and goalie to make sure we never end up in a situation like that.
      RIT

Comment

• What happened to Drackett?

Comment

Originally posted by 35TH40TH View Post
          What happened to Drackett?
          "Out with a lower body injury sustained last weekend" per WITR.

At least they aren't turning to Short..
          RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
            "Out with a lower body injury sustained last weekend" per WITR.
            Any updates on Peacock?
            John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
            AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
            NCAA DII - 1983
            NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
              Any updates on Peacock?
              Did not hear any, no.
              RIT

Comment

I think the difference from last year to this was the breakout of Drackett putting up league average or better numbers (something all 3 goalies failed to do last year) and our defense playing a more responsible two way game. The scoring really has not necessarily been there for us, and as you note we certainly do not have a line or even a player we can really count on when we really need to get something going. Instead, we need our D and goalie to make sure we never end up in a situation like that.
                Absolutely! Drackett's improvement has been a big part of this team's success. Continued play like that will go a long way to breaking RIT's streak of 1st round exits in the AHA tournament.
                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2010 Frozen Four participant
                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Andriano looked pretty good last night, too. Safe to say Shorty is probably never seeing action again except to clean up a blowout.
                  RIT

Comment

Andriano looked pretty good last night, too. Safe to say Shorty is probably never seeing action again except to clean up a blowout.
                    I thought he was pretty good as well, especially later in the game. He still left some big rebounds, but the defense was able to clean them up. Tonight's game is almost more important than last night's now when you consider that next week is a pair of non-conference games.

Comment

Nice weekend. Andriano played well all weekend, and the 2nd line really stepped up tonight. Hopefully the injuries suffered on the weekend aren't too serious. Nice to see them start to take care of buisness at home. Two home sweeps in a row will boost that home record to levels we haven't seen since the Garbowski class at least. I am a huge fan of the free student nights. You've got a big building, and it's tough to fill. You're not turning away paying customers by giving students free tickets, so in my mind it's a no brainer, especially when you take into account concessions. It also helps that they're winning these games.

Comment

RIT is 6-1-2 in its last 9 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                          I am a huge fan of the free student nights. You've got a big building, and it's tough to fill. You're not turning away paying customers by giving students free tickets, so in my mind it's a no brainer, especially when you take into account concessions.
                          I agree it's good to get the students in the building, but giving away tickets is not quite a no-brainer. The main objection is that it devalues paid tickets; people (in this case, students) become less likely to pay full price for tickets in the future, as they figure they can just wait for free ones to come around again. Many minor league pro teams have encountered this problem, such as the Knighthawks before Styres' ownership.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                            I agree it's good to get the students in the building, but giving away tickets is not quite a no-brainer. The main objection is that it devalues paid tickets; people (in this case, students) become less likely to pay full price for tickets in the future, as they figure they can just wait for free ones to come around again. Many minor league pro teams have encountered this problem, such as the Knighthawks before Styres' ownership.

Powers &8^]
                            Red Wings GM Dan Mason is not a fan of free ticket days as those people aren't necessarily going to buy concessions. He is in favor of reduced price tickets. Another idea would be a food drive where a can of food gets you a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

Powers &8^]
                              In the future I think the math gets more complicated, but with the current attendance usually sitting at like 50% I really don't think there is a good argument against it. Even if you lose a bit of the ticket gate to what you mention, you still gain concessions due to more total bodies in seats. And more importantly, you gain the oppurtunity to captivate students who were previously disinterested and turn them into fans. Winning a bunch of free student games will lead to overall better attendance and interest from students, which means more merch sales, more season ticket sales, and more seats bought when free tickets aren't an option
                              RIT

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

Powers &8^]
                                There's a significant difference between minor league teams providing free tickets and college teams doing it only for their students. I would go a step further and say only walk up tickets should be free for students. Obviously at current attendance levels it amounts to the same thing, but if they ever start selling out the building consistently then you would be giving precedence to paying customers - if you want to make sure you can get in, you'd have to buy them.
                                Last edited by jflory81; 01-27-2019, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X