X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
    Well, this is a team sport and the only change in player personnel this week was the change of goallie. Can you propose another method of measuring the succuss or failure of Wilson's change other than the win?
    Weren't the lines juggled again? I don't remember Dupuis being on the top line this year.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      Weren't the lines juggled again? I don't remember Dupuis being on the top line this year.
      The lines were exactly the same for the last two Saturday games, Sacred Heart and Niagara, with the exception of goaltending.

Coach Wilson flipped the centers of the first and second forward line in the third period of the Friday Sacred Heart game and has rolled with it since.
      Scott Biggar
      WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
      Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Well, this is a team sport and the only change in player personnel this week was the change of goallie. Can you propose another method of measuring the succuss or failure of Wilson's change other than the win?
        It may not be measurable. That doesn't mean you take whatever measurable you have and assume it made the difference.

Also, there was another major change in player personnel this week compared to last -- the opponents.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
          It may not be measurable. That doesn't mean you take whatever measurable you have and assume it made the difference.

Also, there was another major change in player personnel this week compared to last -- the opponents.

Powers &8^]
          Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Let's face it, RIT was playing a team that a) was struggling themselves, b) had a goalie barely better than an empty net, and c) a team that actually had finals that Saturday.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Powers &8^]
            How does industry claim that something is new and improved if they aren't measuring a new product against their old product with what measurable metrics they have to measure against? You've just set back 'As seen on TV' 100 years!

And maybe, just maybe.....the Tiger's goalie (Short I believe his name is) allowed Niagara to score less goals than the Tigers offense was able to score against Niagara? We should also research whether Wilson was wearing a different colored tie.
            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
              I'm sorry but I have got to push back against that, Wayne stepped into a mess. Hoffberg had left without much recruiting done, in fact didn't have a goaltender. There was a bunch of stuff I'm not going to mention, but even the jersey's were falling apart and had not been ordered. That is why the Tigers ended up with those simple Orange Uniforms that just said Tigers across the middle. It was pretty much a shock when RIT won the ECAC West Regular season and Tournament. I remember during the final broadcast of the season Randy saying "The Tiger certainly over achieved this season". Which was very true, with that young team no one expected a 22-7-1 season.

Lets look at some highlights of the D-III Wayne brought in.

2000-2001

Defense: Matt Moore, Ryan Francke, Mike Walling, Ryan Fairbarn. Matt and Mike were very solid all 4 years, Francke had skills like Galway, the decision making wasn't always there but he was very good. Ryan Fairbarn had a shot you did not want to get in the way off. Upfront, Mike Tarantino could have been the smartest players the Tigers ever had, at least in my time during D-III. Galway and him would make it close. He basically made the 2 second goal happen.

2001-2002

Small class. Jason Chafe, Roberto Orofiamma, Michael Tucciarone, and he got David Bagley from Geneseo. Bagley should have and would have been at RIT for 4 years if Wayne had anything to say about that. He was a great player. Jason Chafe could mix it up and scored some big goals for RIT, even if his attitude got the better of him at times. Orofiamma and Tucciarone I thought were fine players.

Darren Doherty - He would contribute a lot when D-I came around
              Brent Macovi - Was very skilled, maybe would have liked to seen more numbers, but he was skill
              Marc Hyman - No doubt he had skills if you watched him play, was a little soft, but he scored a big goal against Plattsburg
              George Eliopoulos - Yeah he was interesting, I think all of us old timers would agree, but he did have the first ever D-I shutout in RIT history
              Craig Hupp - I'm just throwing this one in for me, this was a very good kid I enjoyed watching him play

2003-2004

Tristan Fairbarn & Rob Tarantino, both had brothers on the team and did not quite reproduce their numbers, but good players. I will admit this was probably not his best year

2004-2005

Matt Harris, Brent Patry, Ricky Walton, Simon Lambert, Matt Smith, Darrell Draper, and Jocelyn Guimond (he had to sit out the year for playing some Major Juniors). For those who go back to the DI days you will remember these names. Lambert probably would have won National Player of the year in D-III if the jump was not made.

2005-2006

This was the first D-I mixed with playing D-III teams, given when the announcement was made it hard to tell if they would have come to RIT if they where not D-I, but I am sure at least some would have come if RIT was just a D-III team.

Justin Hofstetter
              Jesse Newman
              Steve Pinizzotto
              Brennan Sarazin
              Bobby Raymond
              Louis Menard

Even if we assume we lose 2 or 3 of these players if they were not going D-I, I will say my only regret about going D-I was this team probably would have won a National Title at D-III , it could have made 2007 (Oswego for the old timers) very tough for me.

The best coaches in College Hockey have down turns, anyone see what Jerry York is going through right now? But now a days boy do things get spun out of context on the years they are down. What ****es me off, is much of this nonsense can be proven false if people just spent a little time googling things before they post.

We are talking about a man who in 20 seasons has a record of 346-235-63, 8 regular season league titles, 6 conference tournament titles, 2 Frozen Fours (DI,DIII), DIII coach of the year, and DI coach of the year. For some hick from Guelph that is dam impressive. I really love those saying, RIT needs to fire Wilson, get Scholarships, and go to the ECAC. Imagine what Wayne could do if he had Scholarships! Your like the guy saying the pro team is not bringing in enough talent, but fire the coach instead of the GM. Basically the same thing here, even though its college and Wayne does bring in players, no scholarships has been a handicap and he has the right to complain about it as much as you do saying he should be fire, but he hardly ever blames it, all though he does says it would be nice.

Look your welcome to type until your have carpal tunnel, and yet most of you will probably keep typing after that, saying Coach Wilson should be fired. But prepare yourself, it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. Unless he has a meltdown like Bob Knight or scandal like Joe Paterno, RIT will never fire Wayne Wilson, I just don't see that happen. Wayne will leave when he has had enough...
              OK, first of all... Breathe... Relax...
              Second of all for the record, I have NEVER posted anything about firing Coach Wilson. So stop ranting about my post as though I had. Be nice.
              That being said, all I did was post FACTS. And they were posted in response to someone saying that the team Coach Wilson took over was "little better than middle of the pack" (categorically not true) and that ECAC West was a weak conference (arguable - not necessarily true IMO). What went on behind the scenes before and during Wilson's tenure is unknown to me (and honestly I don't really care). As for who was recruited, as Komey said the top recruits don't mean anything unless they are coached to become winning teams. What I (and most fans) see is the team on the ice and ultimately the the results. That is the bottom line and what we buy tickets to see. Sorry if that offends anyone.
              Don't get me wrong. I truly am impressed by student athletes who succeed in the classroom and make the school proud (and don't get arrested while they're here), but that's not what I'm writing about. I'm writing about hockey. Teams/coaches/players are as good as their record says they are. From the finals appearance in his second year (2001) onward, his D-III teams took a step backwards each year. Negative trend. That's all I was pointing out. Get over it.

As a side note: You mentioned the recruiting class for the last D-III season as though they were recruited for D-III only. I don't have any idea, but I can imagine they didn't hide their D-I aspirations from the recruits that year. It wasn't like the announcement of the switch came as a surprise to Coach Wilson and his staff in December of 2004. I would guess (again, don't know) that many of those recruits would not have come here had there been no plan to upgrade to D-I. Those were legitimate D-I players. You could tell watching the transition year that the freshmen AND sophomores were the core of the D-I future. And all of those guys proved that over the subsequent two seasons.
              Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 12-18-2018, 11:39 AM.
              Can't we all just get along?
              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                Most people's problem when they assets a coaches performance is they are all results oriented on Wins an Losses. That approach completely misses the fact that even making the right decision doesn't mean you will win the game. Coaching is a lot less of the trick plays and fancy speeches Hollywood makes it out to be.
                Coaches ARE and should be judged on wins and losses over the course of multiple entire seasons. That's because if they are routinely making the "right decisions", it should translate into more wins than losses, ultimately. You're correct that within one shift, one period, one game, even one or a couple series not all decisions can be reasonably expected to result in the corresponding wins and losses because of the many other factors involved. Over the long term however, they really should.
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                  Coaches ARE and should be judged on wins and losses over the course of multiple entire seasons. That's because if they are routinely making the "right decisions", it should translate into more wins than losses, ultimately. You're correct that within one shift, one period, one game, even one or a couple series not all decisions can be reasonably expected to result in the corresponding wins and losses because of the many other factors involved. Over the long term however, they really should.
                  Niagara is struggling.... RIT is struggling...... The move to play a goalie who has not played a game in a long time is HOPING (sometimes that is coaching) and it happened to work out, good for Short.... If you are staying with a goalie for the year let him play his way out of the funk......
                  I stopped watching this event (very hard to call this a game) after the second period. The hockey is sloppy, difficult to watch and both teams did everything they could to lose the game. Bad hockey all around. OHL was a solid option B saturday.

Comment

Across Division I this season, among 60 teams and over the course of 478 games, 136 goalies have played, or an average of 2.27 per team.

Only nine goalies have more starts than Logan Drackett's 15. Three are in AHA: Niagara's Brian Wilson, Bentley's Aidan Pelino, and RMU's Francis Marotte, each with 16. (Those three teams are all sub-.500, for what it's worth.)

42 goalies have started more than 10 games, so there are teams where their goalies have played only about half the schedule.

Starting another goalie for one game isn't necessarily indicative of anything. In fact, if these numbers are any sort of indicator, not starting more than one goalie is the outlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                      Starting another goalie for one game isn't necessarily indicative of anything.
                      Exactly.

So say this hypothetical scenario occurs:
                      Drackett plays all 34 regular season games (or at least all 28 AHA games), keeping the critics of the decision to start Short last weekend happy.
                      Late in the last regular season game, Logan suffers a "lower body" injury (possibly due in part to fatigue, but no way to know that for sure) and isn't able to go for the AHA playoff first round the next week.
                      Coach is forced to start either Short or Andriano and the team loses two out of three games by 2-0 and 3-2 scores.
                      How much time would pass between the end of the third game and the first complaint (from one the same critics mentioned above) that Coach Wilson didn't give the backup enough playing time during the regular season, rendering him unprepared for the playoffs (even though the goaltending clearly wasn't the problem)?
                      I'm guessing about 5 - 10 minutes, max.

Comment

Exactly.

Drackett plays all 34 regular season games (or at least all 28 AHA games), keeping the critics of the decision to start Short last weekend happy.
                        Late in the last regular season game, Logan suffers a "lower body" injury (possibly due in part to fatigue, but no way to know that for sure) and isn't able to go for the AHA playoff first round the next week.
                        Coach is forced to start either Short or Andriano and the team loses two out of three games by 2-0 and 3-2 scores.
                        How much time would pass between the end of the third game and the first complaint (from one the same critics mentioned above) that Coach Wilson didn't give the backup enough playing time during the regular season, rendering him unprepared for the playoffs (even though the goaltending clearly wasn't the problem)?
                        I'm guessing about 5 - 10 minutes, max.
                        Don't people post from smart phones nowadays? More like 5 - 10 seconds.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          Don't people post from smart phones nowadays? More like 5 - 10 seconds.
                          You're assuming that they didn't do it before the series even started😆
                          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

You're assuming that they didn't do it before the series even started😆
                            All great points

Comment

I don't think anyone was calling for Drackett to start all 34 games. The question is when's the best time to give him a spell? On the second game of a two-game weekend to try to snap a 3-game losing streak? Or on the only game of the week, the last one before a three-week layoff, to try to snap a 4-game losing streak?

Powers &8^]

Comment

I don't think anyone was calling for Drackett to start all 34 games. The question is when's the best time to give him a spell? On the second game of a two-game weekend to try to snap a 3-game losing streak? Or on the only game of the week, the last one before a three-week layoff, to try to snap a 4-game losing streak?

Powers &8^]
                                Either way, the argument ultimately comes down to "We have no faith in our backup, so when is it ok to risk losing a game?", even though nobody will come right out and say that. And that is not unique to Christian Short or any other # 2 goaltender. It's just the way hockey fans think. Outside of NC games, there is no game where it's ok to risk losing, especially in the AHA where 1 or 2 points can be the difference between 4 or 5 spots in the standings. That being said, the backup is probably going to have to spell the starter at some point. It's kind of like a couple deciding when to have a child. If they look for reasons why it's not a good time to start trying, they'll never have one.

Comment

Working...
                                X