Clear All

Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Nice to win a BCH game!
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
      Nice to win a BCH game!
      First homecoming win since 2011! Feels good after all these years.

On the bad side, RIT needs to stay out of the box. Luckily the PK was good and Colgate's PP was bad because we gave them a whole periods worth of power play time tonight to come back with.

On the plus side Drackett was lights out, the offense and defense both played really well, and as noted the PK had a monster night.

I've followed enough RIT hockey to know that this is probably us playing up to the moment again but I really want to believe this is the team we will see in AHC play. One of the most strongly played games in years.
      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
        First homecoming win since 2011! Feels good after all these years.

On the bad side, RIT needs to stay out of the box. Luckily the PK was good and Colgate's PP was bad because we gave them a whole periods worth of power play time tonight to come back with.

On the plus side Drackett was lights out, the offense and defense both played really well, and as noted the PK had a monster night.

I've followed enough RIT hockey to know that this is probably us playing up to the moment again but I really want to believe this is the team we will see in AHC play. One of the most strongly played games in years.
        I agree with all this. I’ve been to a lot of these games and have gone to everyone since PennState and General Admission. Sat in front of Gene and John and the RIT Sportszone crew and had a nice chat with Gene during a break in the action. Was happy that RIT kept at it all three periods instead of packing it in with the big lead. They won all three periods not just the first two. Hoping this type of play carry’s over to league play.
        RPI Engineers
        RIT Tigers
        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

They may have outscored Colgate in the 2nd period, but they certainly didn't outplay them. They moved last week's 3rd periods to the 2nd period, but Drackett was huge to keep Colgate at bay. They really seemed to be sluggish out of the locker room, and if a couple of those grade A chances go in for Colgate early in the period it's a completely different game. Penalties were part of the problem, but even at even strength they were a step behind. I think they still need to get a bit of a killer instinct territorially. But full credit to Drackett, and the scorers finished their chances when they did come.

Third period was fine. Despite the 12 shots allowed statistically, they didn't really allow much in terms of quality scoring chances.

This certainly does have the chance to be a very good hockey team. It's nice to get into the conference play portion of the schedule without the seemingly annual weekend shellacking at the hands of non-conference opponents (for example Union and RPI last year). There's a lot of offensive talent just on the top line, and if a few players can take a year to year jump (which is not uncommon), they can be a very deep offensive team as well. And Dan Willett looks like a star on the back end. Love the way he moves the puck and battles, despite being a little undersized. The feed to Brown for the opening goal was gorgeous. I suspect Wilson will let Drackett ride out a cold spell - if one should come - rather than being quick on the trigger to go to one of the other guys. Think it's clear he has the most upside.

Comment

I thought the key was RIT not allowing a goal on the full 5x3 and then scoring shortly after that to increase the lead to 4-0.

RIT got a bit of puck luck because Colgate had some chances to get back in it but could not connect. This is a great win for the Tigers.

Big games at Robert Morris coming up to start league play.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I'm the first to tell people it's way, way, way too early to pay attention to the Pairwise Rankings. But look at them tonight: https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairw...kings/d-i-men/

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                I'm the first to tell people it's way, way, way too early to pay attention to the Pairwise Rankings. But look at them tonight: https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairw...kings/d-i-men/
                I had noticed those myself. A win in October counts same as a win in February!

Can’t complain with what I’ve heard about tonight, not one bit. Hopefully this newfound consistency on the back end (both in terms of who’s playing and how they play) will lead to more good results.

Comment

When was the last time we had a winning record entering conference play?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                    When was the last time we had a winning record entering conference play?

Powers &8^]
                    I don't think it's happened in DI unless you count the year where the only game we played before conference was the exhibition.

Comment

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                      I had noticed those myself. A win in October counts same as a win in February!
                      This is also why you don't see computers making the decisions for the NCAA football playoff and basketball tournament for DI. Television has a lot more vested interest in who is watching so the elite traditional powers tend to get a little more of a pass than teams with less of a pedigree.

Comment

Wow - RIT finally wins their homecoming game and has 2 non-conference wins for the first time in a long time, and ...... crickets.

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                          Wow - RIT finally wins their homecoming game and has 2 non-conference wins for the first time in a long time, and ...... crickets.
                          Lol Komey! I’m still recovering from the 6 hour ride home on Sunday and then getting up this morning at 5:30am and going to work. I did want to say that I whole heartily agree with you that the full 2 minute 5-3 power play and Colgate’s inability to score was the critical point of the game. I thought for sure that Colgate would score at least once. If that happened the game may have turned out differently. Looking at the first few games and their outcomes for all of Atlantic Hockey I think we are looking at a very competitive league from top to bottom. RMU only took one point last weekend at home against Army, tying Friday and losing Saturday. They will be playing with an edge against RIT. I hope our boys come to play and don’t show up with bus legs. As well as we’ve played in the OOC games I am still reserving judgement on this team until we get a few in conference series under our belts. I guess I’m still sore from back to back first round losses these last two seasons. I will say that we had such a good time this time around at the BCA that even though it’s a long drive, I’m looking forward to next years Brickcity Homecoming at BCA. Heck I might even come back up this year for the Army series in late January.
                          Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 10-22-2018, 09:17 PM.
                          RPI Engineers
                          RIT Tigers
                          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            I guess if you don't count the 10 posts between the game ending and you complaining, then sure, crickets...
                            RIT

Comment

I guess if you don't count the 10 posts between the game ending and you complaining, then sure, crickets...
                              UMASS Lowell played back up goalie saturday night. Colgate played a goalie who is a freshmen and played his first away game at Brick City Home Coming.What if Colgate had Colton Point, Team Canada World Junior goalie who signed with Dallas in July? Different game. Dracket played well for RIT. Each game this year RIT has played with fire...giving up 2 3rd period leads, a lot of penalties etc... this will catch up to them. Will they learn? Better teams will take advantage of those mistakes. But a win is a win!

Comment

A few years ago, there likely would have been 10 posts in the first couple hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X