X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Originally posted by Bing View Post
    Any word on if home games will be broadcast by RIT SZ again this year?
    RIT SZ has the complete home schedule for this year (minus the exhibition) listed on their website. Usually we have their video feed up on a laptop in the booth so that we can see replays and different camera angles, and it's a beautiful production.

BTW, Scott and I -- and Matt Campbell (at least) as a fill-in -- are back also, including once again this season simulcast on Fox Sports 1280.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
      It will be interesting to see what sort of ticket allocation each team has and how many are for the general public. If there were a tournament with four of the five NY/PA teams in it, including RIT, it would be a sellout for certain.
      I think the key real key will be RIT still, I think if Canisius makes it, maybe it will see a spike. Hockey crowds in Buffalo have not done great lately, but maybe also some advertising with the Frozen Four may help...

My friends on facebook forgive the following copy paste...

I am happy that I can enjoy the tournament with out the two hour long trips to Rochester, but putting my Buffalo Bias aside, there some serious BS here.

"a bigger event than it was in Rochester"

Bob who are you kidding? You went from a 10,000 seat arena to 1,800. To a city that has not embraced hockey out side of the Buffalo Sabres. The first world Juniors could only be called a success because half of Ontario came down for the Canada games, while most of Buffalo stayed home for the USA games. The second World Juniors was a complete disaster, but in fairness that was brought on by ridiculous ticket prices that kept Canadians watching from home. The US Prospect game was held for a couple years at First Niagara and the Sabres gave tickets away and still drew sparse crowds. The 2003 Frozen Four was a success, but Frozen Four draws thousands of loyal College Hockey fans where ever it maybe.

The ironic thing to me is the real success of the tournament from an attendance point of view may still very well hinge on RIT making it to the weekend. Canisius and Niagara game have suffered from sub par attendance for years. Maybe playing for a conference championship could help things, but when so few made a short 1 hour drive to Rochester it still questionable.

Check Out Attendance when RIT was in the Final.

2016: 3,372
      2015: 3,554
      2012: 2,433 (Note: RIT Women played for a National Title on same night at Ritter)
      2011: 3,400 (Note: RIT Women played for a National Title on same night at Ritter)
      2010: 3,298

All those crowds would not fit in the HarborCenter. And put a dang space between the word Harbor and Center!

The reality here is that this is a failure by the AHA. Despite the national success and respect the league has earned. They still are struggling to create a following for many of their teams. In fairness I think Air Force would have a better road presence if they were not 1,500 miles away from the next closest school in the conference. No other team in the league has the road following that RIT has, which makes the move to Buffalo make sense.

This is an inevitable step towards on campus final. I think the only reason we are not there now is because the league will do anything it can to prevent the chance of having to fly 3 teams, 2 sets of officials, and their league officials to Colorado Springs...
      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
      The Mule
      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
        I think the key real key will be RIT still, I think if Canisius makes it, maybe it will see a spike. Hockey crowds in Buffalo have not done great lately, but maybe also some advertising with the Frozen Four may help...

My friends on facebook forgive the following copy paste...

I am happy that I can enjoy the tournament with out the two hour long trips to Rochester, but putting my Buffalo Bias aside, there some serious BS here.

"a bigger event than it was in Rochester"

Bob who are you kidding? You went from a 10,000 seat arena to 1,800. To a city that has not embraced hockey out side of the Buffalo Sabres. The first world Juniors could only be called a success because half of Ontario came down for the Canada games, while most of Buffalo stayed home for the USA games. The second World Juniors was a complete disaster, but in fairness that was brought on by ridiculous ticket prices that kept Canadians watching from home. The US Prospect game was held for a couple years at First Niagara and the Sabres gave tickets away and still drew sparse crowds. The 2003 Frozen Four was a success, but Frozen Four draws thousands of loyal College Hockey fans where ever it maybe.

The ironic thing to me is the real success of the tournament from an attendance point of view may still very well hinge on RIT making it to the weekend. Canisius and Niagara game have suffered from sub par attendance for years. Maybe playing for a conference championship could help things, but when so few made a short 1 hour drive to Rochester it still questionable.

Check Out Attendance when RIT was in the Final.

2016: 3,372
        2015: 3,554
        2012: 2,433 (Note: RIT Women played for a National Title on same night at Ritter)
        2011: 3,400 (Note: RIT Women played for a National Title on same night at Ritter)
        2010: 3,298

All those crowds would not fit in the HarborCenter. And put a dang space between the word Harbor and Center!

The reality here is that this is a failure by the AHA. Despite the national success and respect the league has earned. They still are struggling to create a following for many of their teams. In fairness I think Air Force would have a better road presence if they were not 1,500 miles away from the next closest school in the conference. No other team in the league has the road following that RIT has, which makes the move to Buffalo make sense.

This is an inevitable step towards on campus final. I think the only reason we are not there now is because the league will do anything it can to prevent the chance of having to fly 3 teams, 2 sets of officials, and their league officials to Colorado Springs...

Another reason Atlantic Hockey teams will not get high end players. This hurts RIT more then any other team in the league. Other leagues are playing at the Garden, Excel Energy center etc....Compare, No scholarships, high tuition, league championship max attendance is 1800 Harbor Center and a lot of travel for league games. Not a good thing for RIT.

However, the Blue Cross Arena only worked if RIT was in the finals. $$$ wise the right move was to get out of a 10,000 seat arena.

Any arena around that is 5k seat arena that could have worked?

Atlantic Hockey made it easy to have CHA Women and Atlantic Hockey at the Harbor Center. What other arena could have been used for this event? Erie Insurance Arena, where the OHL team plays holds 6,000. Central location and supports an OHL franchise??????????

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
          Any arena around that is 5k seat arena that could have worked?
          Good question. Aside from Erie, which was my first thought, Jamestown is even smaller than HarborCenter. The problem with both of those is how far west they are. Even Buffalo seems pushing it if they're claiming centrality as a bonus.

The other options would be Elmira or Utica, each just under 4,000 capacity, but then you'd have no team close enough to fill the seats reliably.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Bottom line, they'll have Pegula Sports and Entertainment as a partner and they'll have them behind it. I'd expect to see it promoted much better.
            That may be, but they could have had that in Rochester, too, especially with PSE taking over management of the Blue Cross Arena.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Not to hijack your thread, but the new Exhibition Center at the NYS Fairgrounds is pretty good size....

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...ize=1200%2C486
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                Not to hijack your thread, but the new Exhibition Center at the NYS Fairgrounds is pretty good size....

There were some options and no one will know if Atlantic Hockey investigated any of them. Business side of the league, this was the right move.

Regarding RIT.....Get out of the league.... RIT needs a different league to get some better players....Cupboards are very empty for this years team...Freshmen class looks good on paper but they all do each year... Yes, Atlantic hockey has made some progress but no where near the other leagues... Division I hockey players with choices will not choose Atlantic hockey...Hockey players will choose Atlantic hockey because they have very few (partial scholarships, asked to walk on...etc) if any choices. I am interested to see how Lancaster from Mercyhurst competes with Denver this year. If he does well, certainly adds a conversation about top players in Atlantic hockey being able to compete with other teams.

Comment

Not bad capacity, but not very intimate. Some of those seats don't even face the ice. I have no idea, but maybe the end bleachers could be moved to wrap around the goal end when the Fair is not in progress.
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Also, there's a much easier hurdle to fill 1,800 seats than 10,000. It just makes more sense. Let's face it, BCA should have been replaced. The renovations were insufficient, and three decades later, that's even more evident.
                    Two decades later. The major renovations were in the late '90's, just after the last time the Amerks won the Cup (1996) in the arena with the old configuration.

While I agree about the arena needing to be replaced and not renovated (like they're talking about doing again - yikes). Would the replacement (or more appropriately refurbished) arena have helped here, though? The goal (at least as stated publicly) of the '90's renovations was to update the arena and make it a more attractive venue for large concerts / events that had begun to forego Rochester because of the outdated arena that was too small (which could lead into an even longer discussion about how poor their foresight was with the renovations they did do - don't get me started). My assumption would be that if they had gone the replacement route, they would have replaced it with one at least the size of the renovated arena. If they had replaced it with a similarly sized arena, the AHA/AHC championship attendances would have still looked pathetic. Even when RIT does make it, 3,000 to 5,000 isn't enough in a 10,000+ barn.
                    Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 09-10-2018, 11:52 AM.
                    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
                      RIT needs a different league to get some better players
                      Easier said than done. There are no leagues currently looking for new teams (that us in the general public are aware of). They can't accept invitations that aren't coming.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                        Easier said than done. There are no leagues currently looking for new teams (that us in the general public are aware of). They can't accept invitations that aren't coming.

$$$$$$$$$ and a travel partner will get a team in without an invitation. Its coming. WCHA is a travel budget nightmare. There will be a shake up soon and Atlantic hockey will be poached to revive the old CCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          Next it will be at Bentley
                          Nope, the JAR is no longer available for such a prestigious event 😏
                          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

It also doesn't have permanent ice. It sounds like they didn't want to. They want to keep it open for other things during the year. Having ice during the fair was merely a nice attraction and break from the summer heat for the fairgoers, and a dog and pony show for the governor to showcase his newest "achievement" after taking out the much-loved by race fans, historic, 1-mile dirt racetrack a few years ago.
                            Last edited by Tiger98; 09-11-2018, 11:58 AM.
                            Only Tigers hockey!!!©

NCAA DI Regional Champions: East-2010 (3rd year eligible, 1st time in tournament!)

AHA Champions
                            Regular Season:
                            2007 (1st Season in Conference / 2nd Season in D1 / Did it with 40% D3 Recruits), '09, '10, '11
                            Tournament:
                            2010, 2015, 2016

RIT Men 9 time ECAC West Champions: 1984, 1986, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

2-time NCAA Champions: 1983 (DII), 1985 (DIII)!!!!

Elmira will forever Suck—Infinity!!

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

The other options would be Elmira or Utica, each just under 4,000 capacity, but then you'd have no team close enough to fill the seats reliably.
                              I may be biased, but I think Utica could be a great place to host. I said it as soon as they had the updates made when the AHL went back. Its a fantastic arena, and anyone who hasn't yet should check out a Comets or Utica College game if they get a chance. Yes, there aren't any teams in the immediate area, but I think that being a couple hours closer to the eastern teams helps out, since travel to Utica is no more than 4 hours for any team, save RMU and AF. That's an easier trip to swing than 6 or 7 hours. RIT fans would still undoubtedly travel, and the Buffalo/RM fans that traveled to Rochester would still come to Utica I think. Add to that, the fact that hockey is the only show in town in Utica, and you'll get more local fans there than in ROC or Buffalo. Rob Esche does a great job promoting the events that happen at the AUD, and would definitely get local fans to come out. Nearby Clinton didn't win the Kraft Hockeyville USA award this year for nothing...
                              Last edited by larfretz44; 09-12-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by larfretz44 View Post
                                I may be biased, but I think Utica could be a great place to host. I said it as soon as they had the updates made when the AHL went back. Its a fantastic arena, and anyone who hasn't yet should check out a Comets or Utica College game if they get a chance. Yes, there aren't any teams in the immediate area, but I think that being a couple hours closer to the eastern teams helps out, since travel to Utica is no more than 4 hours for any team, save RMU and AF. That's an easier trip to swing than 6 or 7 hours. RIT fans would still undoubtedly travel, and the Buffalo/RM fans that traveled to Rochester would still come to Utica I think. Add to that, the fact that hockey is the only show in town in Utica, and you'll get more local fans there than in ROC or Buffalo. Rob Esche does a great job promoting the events that happen at the AUD, and would definitely get local fans to come out. Nearby Clinton didn't win the Kraft Hockeyville USA award this year for nothing...
                                The Eastern teams' fan bases (where they exist) just don't travel well, generally. It probably wouldn't make much difference if it were in Rochester, Utica, Springfield, Fairfield, or Boston.
                                And just remember... "Springfield is one of America's 400 fastest growing cities... ...Watch out Utica, 'cause Springfield is on the grow".

Comment

Working...
                                X