This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

6-4 with a minute left. I think we can safely say this is a very broken team right now.
    John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
    AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
    AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
    NCAA DII - 1983
    NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

• Update: we are in fact bad, now.
      RIT

Comment

• Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
        Update: we are in fact bad, now.
        Yes.

I’m glad I decided to spend my hockey watching this weekend in Oswego.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Couldn't watch or listen to the game tonight but I think it's time to give Drackett a rest and let Short have some playing time.
          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
            Update: we are in fact bad, now.
            Or the talent in the league has surpassed us, SHU almost has twice as many BCHL and USHL players and two HEA transfers. Maybe it’s time to admit that the talent on many Atlantic Hockey at least on paper is stronger than the talent on RIT. Maybe RIT players are playing their guts out but they no longer match up favorably against many of the teams in Atlantic Hockey that have upped their recruiting efforts and are signing better players.
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
              Air Force website goes back to the 06-07 roster. All of the players are American born. SOOOOOO.....either Air Force cannot recruit a foreign player for an athletic team or they do not because of choice . Maybe a foreign person can enlist or had lineage from 1 parent and had dual citizenship (just guessing) but not play on an athletic team? I looked at the Air Force Lacrosse rosters. Canada has a strong lacrosse presence as well as hockey and there were no foreign players on the lax team, back to 06-07.

Lets just agree, the recuiting pool for Air Force and Army are smaller then every other team in college hockey and they do more with less then others.

Just helping people.....
              You are correct that their are challenges to their recruiting, Frank has said so many times. Your stated reason is incorrect...
              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
              The Mule
              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

• Re: &gt;&gt;&gt; RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar &lt;&lt;&lt;

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
                "Locals should play at local schools" is not my point.

But get 1 or two would be nice. RIT has been D1 for 13 years. These players are 16 years old, watching RIT hockey growing up and RIT cannot get 1????????
                Ummmm... Dan Schuler, Garrett McMullen, Mike Rotolo!?!?

You should know better...
                Last edited by Tom Naeger; 12-08-2018, 08:39 PM.

Thomas M. Naeger
                The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Get off recruiting people, you are just proving you have no idea what you are talking about.

Big problem I've seen is RIT top line has really struggled last 4 games. Coaches moved Gabe to help shake things up. Without making tonight game it seemed to help as Gabe made the score sheet and nice to see Brubaker going. We need to get the captains going...

Panic button is officially pressed...

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                    Get off recruiting people, you are just proving you have no idea what you are talking about.

Big problem I've seen is RIT top line has really struggled last 4 games. Coaches moved Gabe to help shake things up. Without making tonight game it seemed to help as Gabe made the score sheet and nice to see Brubaker going. We need to get the captains going...

Panic button is officially pressed...
                    Lump me in with the people who have no idea what they're talking about. In the meantime if you want to list the best five junior leagues in North America for D1 colleges to recruit from, (from best to worse) please enlighten the folks who don't know what they're talking about.

You can state your opinion Tom without criticizing the opinions of others.
                    RPI Engineers
                    RIT Tigers
                    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                      Or the talent in the league has surpassed us, SHU almost has twice as many BCHL and USHL players and two HEA transfers. Maybe it’s time to admit that the talent on many Atlantic Hockey at least on paper is stronger than the talent on RIT. Maybe RIT players are playing their guts out but they no longer match up favorably against many of the teams in Atlantic Hockey that have upped their recruiting efforts and are signing better players.
                      I'm sorry but this is laughable. A few weeks ago we were all discussing how this was the best position RIT has been in this early in the season in a long time. Heck, it was the best October is D1 program history. Has the talent level in AHA risen? Absolutely. Gone are the days of SHU coming on campus, being outscored by 8 on the weekend, and heading home. But to claim that SHU (and the entire rest of the league?) is more talented is totally baseless. Coming into this weekend Sacred Heart was 3-8-2, while RIT was 6-6-1 - hardly looks like SHU was setting the world on fire with their Hockey East washouts. RIT is a team that beat Colgate, beat UMass, lost to Northeastern by 1. All of those teams are better recruited and more skilled than Sacred Heart! We swept AIC, and before you scoff take a look at the standings and note they are #2 in the league right now.

RIT has struggled for years on Friday nights and that trend has continued this year, currently sitting at 1-5. This means the team is 5-3-1 on days other than Friday, which is baffling. RIT played terribly all weekend, well below their talent level that they have showcased as recently as a few weeks ago, and now finds itself in the basement of the league. Erik Brown has disappeared of late and he is the straw that is supposed to stir the drink for our offense. The defense has been uncharacteristically sloppy. These should be correctable issues, but until they are they will force us into losing games we shouldn't be losing.
                      RIT

Comment

• Re: &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;gt; RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar &amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                        Lump me in with the people who have no idea what they're talking about. In the meantime if you want to list the best five junior leagues in North America for D1 colleges to recruit from, (from best to worse) please enlighten the folks who don't know what they're talking about.

You can state your opinion Tom without criticizing the opinions of others.
                        Well, if you can't let it go... And do note I did not call anyone person out...

Here is a break down of Verbal Commits of 2018 AHA Freshmen (Note this is off my spreadsheet and I will admit there probably an error or two, but the numbers will be in the ball park)

NAHL: 30
                        USHL: 20
                        BCHL: 14
                        OJHL: 10
                        AJHL: 7
                        CCHL: 7
                        NCAA Transfer: 6
                        NCDC: 6
                        Prep School: 3
                        SJHL: 2
                        CJHL: 2
                        ACHA Transfers: 1

When is the NAHL going to get some love for crying out loud!?!? Everyone wants to take a dump on that league, yet Air Force keeps stocking up on players from that league to win the most league championships.

Now lets look at the break down of this years players which we are very familiar with, without trashing anyone:

BCHL

Christian Short - Anyone who spends 5 minutes talking with this kid knows he a great kid, but things have not gone smooth.
                        Adam Brubacher - Talent now doubt
                        Spencer Berry - Potential there

USHL

Dan Willett - Makes up with under size with great talent
                        Jake Hamacher - He is on the up

So yeah, good conferences, but what about the OJHL

Gabe Valenzuela - I think he playing the best of any Tiger right now
                        Abbott Girdukis - Team Captain
                        Jordan Peacock - Really hurt not seeing him in line up.

And two guys that can really make a splash down the road...

Jake Joffe
                        Andrew Petrucci

And oh yeah, Erik Brown from the CCHL.

Now lets look at some noteable RIT players in the DI era:

USHL

Jared Demichiel
                        Cameron Burt
                        Taylor McReynolds
                        Sean Murphy
                        Mike Janda
                        Chris Saracino
                        Alexander Kuqali
                        Anthony Hamburg
                        Shane Madolora (Note he played most of his Juniors in the NAHL and then played last season in the USHL)

BCHL

Jocelyn Guimond
                        Josh Watson
                        Brad McGowan
                        Matt Garbowsky
                        Josh Mitchell
                        Myles Powell

OJHL

Dan Ringwald
                        Steve Pinizzotto
                        Chris Tanev
                        Bobby Raymond (also player MWJHL)
                        Andrew Favot
                        Chris Haltigin
                        Trevor Eckenswiller
                        Jordan Ruby

CJHL

Brennan Sarazin
                        Simon Lambert

CCHL

Louis Menard

MWJHL

Tyler Brenner
                        Bobby Raymond

Prep

Matt Smith

Now I am not trying to say that the USHL and BCHL have not produce some good talent for RIT, you can see names that prove it. However I included a few names, not to pick anyone, but show that players from that league, like any other league, can sometime not have the career you would have hoped for. What I am really laughing at is that I remember there were some people on the Board who didn't take the BCHL seriously until the MGM line. I think you could make the argument that the OJHL has produce the most for RIT, including the guys who made it to the NHL.

Listen everyone, the point is there a lot more to recruiting than what league a guy came from. There are so many talented leagues that load up the frequent flyer mileages for the scouts. If we are honest, many if not all of the players did not have the AHA as their first choice. That turns this to a complete different game than what the Big Tens, NCHA, etc get to play.

I'm the first to say and want RIT to go DI in all sports, offer scholarships and move to a difference conference. I've also looked at a heck of a lot of recruiting data the last couple of years. There is no obvious downturn in recruiting. If you want to prove there is, you need to come at it with more than their recent record, I can site numerous examples of recruits that just didn't work out for big time programs. RIT has not fallen off on recruiting, yes other teams in the AHA are doing much better. But just because you pull in the top recruits doesn't mean you are a shoe in to win the league...
                        Last edited by Tom Naeger; 12-09-2018, 11:11 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar, of course

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                          Not to mention a lot of these schools are now getting their own (sometimes very nice) new arenas. They are no longer at a facility disadvantage in the recruiting wars.

Nonetheless, I like Tom's analysis,
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

RIT is the only Atlantic Hockey program to not advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs a single time over the past two seasons. They currently sit 3 games under .500 in what still is the worst conference in the country, despite the strides that have obviously been made.

Yes, this is a bad hockey team. You are what your results say you are. The results have not been there for a long time. It's always something with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              Not to mention a lot of these schools are now getting their own (sometimes very nice) new arenas. They are no longer at a facility disadvantage in the recruiting wars.

Nonetheless, I like Tom's analysis,
                              I also like Tom’s analysis, Tom does a great job in keeping track of all of the future and past players who have played for RIT.

All I’m saying is...is the number of BCHL and USHL players on a given team a ‘rough’ barometer as to the success of the team? I understand that it is difficult to recruit these players and RIT is always searching for that “diamond in the rough” that other teams passed over. RIT’s frozen four team was stacked with players from these leagues, in recent years we’ve seen a decline of players from these leagues. Is that by design or is it because of the challenges RIT faces when recruiting in these league against colleges who now have more to offer?
                              RPI Engineers
                              RIT Tigers
                              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                                RIT is the only Atlantic Hockey program to not advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs a single time over the past two seasons. They currently sit 3 games under .500 in what still is the worst conference in the country, despite the strides that have obviously been made.

Yes, this is a bad hockey team. You are what your results say you are. The results have not been there for a long time. It's always something with them.
                                Wait a second!!

Did you forget that the season before that time period the Tigers won their second consecutive league title? College classes last 4 years. Judging a program over 2 and half years is ridiculous. Many RIT fans are just spoiled by the unbelievable quick success they had. In effect any time there is a downturn there is a "Remy" size outburst.

Saying stuff like the number of USHL and BCHL recruits predict success is just not supported by the reality of the AHA, specifically the success Air Force has had (thanks your making me sound like Hockeyplayer82), and the number of high quality players in other leagues.

Given the logic here the Buffalo Sabres was the Best hockey franchise ever last month to the worst this month. Some just need to get a grip on reality. The Tigers have played their worst two weekends of the season and it is embarrassing. There is still an entire second half of hockey to play. This team that played and beat top talent and was off to the best start in the D-I era is down. They are not out and have time and the talent to turn this around. Will they I do not know. This is why I love college sports, with these young kids you never know how they will respond.

Thomas M. Naeger
                                The Mule

Comment

Working...
                                X