Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    I haven't been in Vermont for a few years, but before I left there was talk of building a shiny new modern facility. What happened to that idea?
    I've been following UVM hockey since I first stepped on campus in 1983. Since then, there has ALWAYS been talk of building a shiny, new, modern facility. Although construction doesn't appear to be a problem at almost every other school that fields a D1 hockey team, a new arena has never happened at UVM, and probably won't during my lifetime. Gutterson was already refurbished once around 1988 and will be refurbished again soon, leaving us with The Gut 3.0. UVM appears able to construct plenty of new buildings, just not one that involves their signature sport. (Check that, the signature sport is probably basketball now which, ironically, will be getting a shiny, new, modern facility). UVM has been free-falling in terms of hockey relevance and, unfortunately, this ain't gonna help.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Ref View Post
      The student section is only the middle section. They didn't used to stand all the time, it is very annoying and selfish as others can't see play in the corners. The generation that is all about themselves I guess, sigh.
      Translation: Millenials Are Killing Hockey Sightlines

Standing in the student section is basic College Hockey in 2018 protocol lol. Also, while it is where most students sit because it offers the best view, the two corner sections around the band can also be sat in by students, and if the band is ginormously big, some of their stragglers stand there
      Last edited by TovarishchLisa; 08-30-2018, 01:00 PM.
      https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        I've been following UVM hockey since I first stepped on campus in 1983. Since then, there has ALWAYS been talk of building a shiny, new, modern facility. Although construction doesn't appear to be a problem at almost every other school that fields a D1 hockey team, a new arena has never happened at UVM, and probably won't during my lifetime. Gutterson was already refurbished once around 1988 and will be refurbished again soon, leaving us with The Gut 3.0. UVM appears able to construct plenty of new buildings, just not one that involves their signature sport. (Check that, the signature sport is probably basketball now which, ironically, will be getting a shiny, new, modern facility). UVM has been free-falling in terms of hockey relevance and, unfortunately, this ain't gonna help.
        The Gutt and the new hoop arena will share concessions and restrooms. The improved Gutt will include new boxes, media facilities and chairback seating. It will also include major lockeroom and player area improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
          The Gutt and the new hoop arena will share concessions and restrooms. The improved Gutt will include new boxes, media facilities and chairback seating. It will also include major lockeroom and player area improvements.
          Thanks for posting George. I honestly do hope it's a gem.

Comment

I think they are also replacing the refrigeration system.

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
              Translation: Millenials Are Killing Hockey Sightlines

Standing in the student section is basic College Hockey in 2018 protocol lol.
              More like basic College Hockey protocol from the 60's and 70s - that's the way it was when I was a Dartmouth back in those days. When they build Thompson Arena, students began sitting.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                I like that concept of shared sports complex with hockey and hoops along with making seating more comfortable. Keeping a full arena and exciting atmosphere as well is important which also depends on a decent product on ice. If we are competitive the arena will be full. It is not a hard concept in Burlington.

Comment

More like basic College Hockey protocol from the 60's and 70s - that's the way it was when I was a Dartmouth back in those days. When they build Thompson Arena, students began sitting.
                  Wasn’t it Davis Rink at Dartmouth before Thompson Arena? Think I saw a game or two there as a little kid before Thompson got built.

Comment

Wasn’t it Davis Rink at Dartmouth before Thompson Arena? Think I saw a game or two there as a little kid before Thompson got built.
                    Correct. It was your basic college rink of the era.

Comment

Today I learned. (Hey, I'm a youngin, don't mind me, I'll get off your lawn =P)

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Folks seem about as fired up as I am for the new season!

Comment

Folks seem about as fired up as I am for the new season!
                          seriously, it is dead silent here. I'm not sure if this is a good gauge for the fanbase in general, but it seems like no one's really that hyped this year.

Comment

I'll be rooting them on like I always do, and hoping for the best, like I always do...but expecting the same. I wish it were different. I just don't see enough being done differently for us to expect anything but another average season.

In the words of Mr. Einstein, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Comment

Hoping the coaching staff can settle on stable line combinations early in the season instead of using last year's random line up generator. I think UVM should be much better on defense so maybe the offense can focus more on scoring goals and less on blocking shots.

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                                Hoping the coaching staff can settle on stable line combinations early in the season instead of using last year's random line up generator. I think UVM should be much better on defense so maybe the offense can focus more on scoring goals and less on blocking shots.
                                Isn't your coach still Sneddon? If so, that seems unlikely.

Comment

Working...
                                X