Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
Results 301 to 311 of 311

Thread: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

  1. #301
    Now UVM Cat in Georgia
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

    Quote Originally Posted by jfromvt View Post
    I like Lisa, so maybe I was a bit harsh, but this blog is so negative. I’m not sure a coaching change is necessarily the solution. They play hard, I think they are well coached despite what others think. The problem is they can’t recruit an elite scorer or two. That changes the whole dynamic, the current first line center is now the second line and it waterfalls down. So why can’t they get these guys? Part of it is the facility. I know for a fact, directly from his father’s mouth, that Johnny Gaudreau, whose family has deep, deep Vermont roots, took one look at the Gut and said “Dad I’m not coming here”. And the other problem is Sneddon has relied too much on his assistants to do the recruiting legwork, and not establishing connections in Quebec, for example, instead going after kids from Western Canada which is not sustainable. So some of the blame is on Sneddon, but like I said, if you get one or two blue chippers, I think there is enough depth in the program to make them a top-15 team. And I do agree about Ted Ryan, his story on Lekkas was a pipe dream.
    You make some really good points in here, thanks for weighing in. I've said several times I wish the guys who don't think Sneddon's the problem would post more. It's always good to have a diversity of viewpoints. Totally agree with the thought that UVM has fallen flat in recruiting goal scorers. And like you said, it doesn't take more than 1 or 2 guys to make a difference. You look at UVM's two FF teams and both had gifted scorers. St. Louis and Perrin the first time, and Stahlberg the second time. Other than Tim Thomas, the rest of the guys were basically good, solid role-players.

  2. #302
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    230

    Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

    On the plus side, nobody left the team during the winter break

  3. #303
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    108

    Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

    Quote Originally Posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    You make some really good points in here, thanks for weighing in. I've said several times I wish the guys who don't think Sneddon's the problem would post more. It's always good to have a diversity of viewpoints. Totally agree with the thought that UVM has fallen flat in recruiting goal scorers. And like you said, it doesn't take more than 1 or 2 guys to make a difference. You look at UVM's two FF teams and both had gifted scorers. St. Louis and Perrin the first time, and Stahlberg the second time. Other than Tim Thomas, the rest of the guys were basically good, solid role-players.
    Stalberg and role players???? haha really????

    How about rock steady defenseman and NHL player Kevan Miller???
    How about Dean Strong 100 point scorer and best faceoff man ever?
    Plenty other players who score 70+ points in career include Irwin who made NHL for cup of coffee Roloff Pete Lenes Carlson Vock all these guys that year would crush most 'top 6' guys of recent year
    Not to mention probably not seen modern d corp as good since Miller Cullity McKenzie Lawson Medvec
    a top 5 all-time UVM goaltender in Madore
    You have your opinion but that team was more than role guys it was a team that could beat you 4-3 or beat you 1-0 because they had talent commitment two things that LACK today for UVM and have ever since!!

  4. #304
    Now UVM Cat in Georgia
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

    Quote Originally Posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
    Stalberg and role players???? haha really????

    How about rock steady defenseman and NHL player Kevan Miller???
    How about Dean Strong 100 point scorer and best faceoff man ever?
    Plenty other players who score 70+ points in career include Irwin who made NHL for cup of coffee Roloff Pete Lenes Carlson Vock all these guys that year would crush most 'top 6' guys of recent year
    Not to mention probably not seen modern d corp as good since Miller Cullity McKenzie Lawson Medvec
    a top 5 all-time UVM goaltender in Madore
    You have your opinion but that team was more than role guys it was a team that could beat you 4-3 or beat you 1-0 because they had talent commitment two things that LACK today for UVM and have ever since!!
    Forgot about Miller, he was definitely a standout. Irwin also edged into that category as well. The others, Strong, Lenes, Vock, Roloff, Cullity, McKenzie, Lawson, Medvec were all indeed role players. My post said "good, solid role-players" and that's exactly what they were. Not trying to belittle them at all -- they were in fact good, solid players! As for Madore, he had a magical Freshman year when they went to the FF. His sophomore year he was still pretty good, but by his junior and senior seasons he was at times dreadful.
    Last edited by UVM Cat in Texas; 01-07-2019 at 03:32 PM.

  5. #305
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    253

    Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

    Quote Originally Posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
    Stalberg and role players???? haha really????

    How about rock steady defenseman and NHL player Kevan Miller???
    How about Dean Strong 100 point scorer and best faceoff man ever?
    Plenty other players who score 70+ points in career include Irwin who made NHL for cup of coffee Roloff Pete Lenes Carlson Vock all these guys that year would crush most 'top 6' guys of recent year
    Not to mention probably not seen modern d corp as good since Miller Cullity McKenzie Lawson Medvec
    a top 5 all-time UVM goaltender in Madore
    You have your opinion but that team was more than role guys it was a team that could beat you 4-3 or beat you 1-0 because they had talent commitment two things that LACK today for UVM and have ever since!!
    All recruited and committed before Sneddon arrived on his white horse....

  6. #306
    Now UVM Cat in Georgia
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

    Next two weeks will be tough! On the road against the #1 ranked team in Pairwise, and then back on the road against a team that tends to beat us like a drum. Anyone see any points coming out of these two weeks? Honestly, I'd have to say no. It'd be a pleasant surprise to come away with a win, but I think maybe eking out a tie is the more likely scenario, if we're going to steal any points at all. We shall see--game is on NESN tonight.

  7. #307
    Now UVM Cat in Georgia
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    We shall see--game is on NESN tonight.
    Or not....

  8. #308
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Miami, Fl.
    Posts
    163

    Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

    It is interesting following the remarks on UVM hockey.The scapegoats, outdated facilities or unimpressive recruiting or ineffective coaching echo the sentiments from the RPI and Colgate faithful. All three teams enjoy a rich heritage but have been mired in mediocrity for a long time. Over at Union Achilles Center is often maligned, but a recent national championship banner hangs from the rafters. UVM's hiring of Sneddon lead to the hiring of Nate Leaman, who really got the ball rolling. His departure for Providence was a blow but Rick Bennett, his assistant, transitioned beautifully into the head coaching job. Each has succeeded brilliantly (two national championships between them). The Union and Providence faithful owe a debt of gratitude to the UVM athletic department!
    Last edited by Miami Ice; 01-13-2019 at 02:20 PM.

  9. #309
    Now UVM Cat in Georgia
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

    Quote Originally Posted by Miami Ice View Post
    It is interesting following the remarks on UVM hockey.The scapegoats, outdated facilities or unimpressive recruiting or ineffective coaching echo the sentiments from the RPI and Colgate faithful. All three teams enjoy a rich heritage but have been mired in mediocrity for a long time.
    You can add Maine to the list. Their thread is always good for some chuckles if you're into misery and despair.

  10. #310
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Georgia, VT
    Posts
    41

    Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

    242-270-76
    Nuff said. Time for change.

  11. #311
    Is this the year?
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    3,831

    Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

    Any driving down for the games this weekend?
    Gary

    www.umlhockey.com
    Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

    182nd member to 2,000 posts
    "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
    KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •