Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

Originally posted by jfromvt View Post
    I like Lisa, so maybe I was a bit harsh, but this blog is so negative. I’m not sure a coaching change is necessarily the solution. They play hard, I think they are well coached despite what others think. The problem is they can’t recruit an elite scorer or two. That changes the whole dynamic, the current first line center is now the second line and it waterfalls down. So why can’t they get these guys? Part of it is the facility. I know for a fact, directly from his father’s mouth, that Johnny Gaudreau, whose family has deep, deep Vermont roots, took one look at the Gut and said “Dad I’m not coming here”. And the other problem is Sneddon has relied too much on his assistants to do the recruiting legwork, and not establishing connections in Quebec, for example, instead going after kids from Western Canada which is not sustainable. So some of the blame is on Sneddon, but like I said, if you get one or two blue chippers, I think there is enough depth in the program to make them a top-15 team. And I do agree about Ted Ryan, his story on Lekkas was a pipe dream.
    You make some really good points in here, thanks for weighing in. I've said several times I wish the guys who don't think Sneddon's the problem would post more. It's always good to have a diversity of viewpoints. Totally agree with the thought that UVM has fallen flat in recruiting goal scorers. And like you said, it doesn't take more than 1 or 2 guys to make a difference. You look at UVM's two FF teams and both had gifted scorers. St. Louis and Perrin the first time, and Stahlberg the second time. Other than Tim Thomas, the rest of the guys were basically good, solid role-players.

Comment

On the plus side, nobody left the team during the winter break

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        You make some really good points in here, thanks for weighing in. I've said several times I wish the guys who don't think Sneddon's the problem would post more. It's always good to have a diversity of viewpoints. Totally agree with the thought that UVM has fallen flat in recruiting goal scorers. And like you said, it doesn't take more than 1 or 2 guys to make a difference. You look at UVM's two FF teams and both had gifted scorers. St. Louis and Perrin the first time, and Stahlberg the second time. Other than Tim Thomas, the rest of the guys were basically good, solid role-players.
        Stalberg and role players???? haha really????

How about rock steady defenseman and NHL player Kevan Miller???
        How about Dean Strong 100 point scorer and best faceoff man ever?
        Plenty other players who score 70+ points in career include Irwin who made NHL for cup of coffee Roloff Pete Lenes Carlson Vock all these guys that year would crush most 'top 6' guys of recent year
        Not to mention probably not seen modern d corp as good since Miller Cullity McKenzie Lawson Medvec
        a top 5 all-time UVM goaltender in Madore
        You have your opinion but that team was more than role guys it was a team that could beat you 4-3 or beat you 1-0 because they had talent commitment two things that LACK today for UVM and have ever since!!

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post

Plenty other players who score 70+ points in career include Irwin who made NHL for cup of coffee Roloff Pete Lenes Carlson Vock all these guys that year would crush most 'top 6' guys of recent year
          Not to mention probably not seen modern d corp as good since Miller Cullity McKenzie Lawson Medvec
          You have your opinion but that team was more than role guys it was a team that could beat you 4-3 or beat you 1-0 because they had talent commitment two things that LACK today for UVM and have ever since!!
          Forgot about Miller, he was definitely a standout. Irwin also edged into that category as well. The others, Strong, Lenes, Vock, Roloff, Cullity, McKenzie, Lawson, Medvec were all indeed role players. My post said "good, solid role-players" and that's exactly what they were. Not trying to belittle them at all -- they were in fact good, solid players! As for Madore, he had a magical Freshman year when they went to the FF. His sophomore year he was still pretty good, but by his junior and senior seasons he was at times dreadful.
          Last edited by UVM Cat in Texas; 01-07-2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post

All recruited and committed before Sneddon arrived on his white horse....

Comment

Next two weeks will be tough! On the road against the #1 ranked team in Pairwise, and then back on the road against a team that tends to beat us like a drum. Anyone see any points coming out of these two weeks? Honestly, I'd have to say no. It'd be a pleasant surprise to come away with a win, but I think maybe eking out a tie is the more likely scenario, if we're going to steal any points at all. We shall see--game is on NESN tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                We shall see--game is on NESN tonight.
                Or not....

Comment

It is interesting following the remarks on UVM hockey.The scapegoats, outdated facilities or unimpressive recruiting or ineffective coaching echo the sentiments from the RPI and Colgate faithful. All three teams enjoy a rich heritage but have been mired in mediocrity for a long time. Over at Union Achilles Center is often maligned, but a recent national championship banner hangs from the rafters. UVM's hiring of Sneddon lead to the hiring of Nate Leaman, who really got the ball rolling. His departure for Providence was a blow but Rick Bennett, his assistant, transitioned beautifully into the head coaching job. Each has succeeded brilliantly (two national championships between them). The Union and Providence faithful owe a debt of gratitude to the UVM athletic department!
                  Last edited by Miami Ice; 01-13-2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
                    It is interesting following the remarks on UVM hockey.The scapegoats, outdated facilities or unimpressive recruiting or ineffective coaching echo the sentiments from the RPI and Colgate faithful. All three teams enjoy a rich heritage but have been mired in mediocrity for a long time.
                    You can add Maine to the list. Their thread is always good for some chuckles if you're into misery and despair.

Comment

242-270-76
                      Nuff said. Time for change.

Comment

Any driving down for the games this weekend?
                        Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                        Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                        "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                        KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Indifference

Comment

• Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                            Indifference
                            +1

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                              Indifference
                              the only highlight of the last couple weeks was Sneddon complaints about Lowell not moving star wars night time up and even then his team comes out flat and shows no effort
                              still don't think hes fired because the guy in charge is his best friend but rumors circulate that only way it happens is if basketball team makes the big dance so the school can use that money to buy out Sneddon final year because no of the big pocket people want to step up and school in budget crisis!
                              pathetic!

Comment

Jim Connelly picks the Cats to sweep this weekend. Even against Merrimack at home, I see it as a split at best.

Disappointing loss for the b-ball team the other night, especially if making it to the Big Dance is gonna save the hockey program!

Comment

Working...
                                X