Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tragic story about former MSU star/#1 overall draft pick Joe Murphy

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'm not really sure how to respond to this post, so I'll just say this.

Yes, hockey is a contact sport. But the NHL needs to do a better job of, a) completely removing fighting, which is a clear contributor to CTE, b) completely remove hits to the head, which clearly causes CTE, and c) do a better job of helping out those retired players who are suffering from the disease as a direct result of their playing career. None of those steps will detract from the game one iota.

As fans of the game, it is our job to police it. We need to demand it of the league and the teams.
    Ditto. You hit the nail on the head. Just because players know the dangers doesn't mean the dangers shouldn't be minimized where reasonable.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
      Ditto. You hit the nail on the head. Just because players know the dangers doesn't mean the dangers shouldn't be minimized where reasonable.
      This.
      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
      BC - 12
      BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Yes, hockey is a contact sport. But the NHL needs to do a better job of, a) completely removing fighting, which is a clear contributor to CTE, b) completely remove hits to the head, which clearly causes CTE, and c) do a better job of helping out those retired players who are suffering from the disease as a direct result of their playing career. None of those steps will detract from the game one iota.

As fans of the game, it is our job to police it. We need to demand it of the league and the teams.
        Well said, couldn't agree more.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

On C, I can agree.

On B, it can be policed. They can do their best.

On A, I doubt this will happen. Hey we are all fans of college hockey.

But at least I can take a step back and say you know what I might be wrong. Though I doubt you see these changes in a near term.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
            On C, I can agree.

On B, it can be policed. They can do their best.

On A, I doubt this will happen. Hey we are all fans of college hockey.

But at least I can take a step back and say you know what I might be wrong. Though I doubt you see these changes in a near term.
            CTE is not likely mainly driven by fighting. They’re mainly driven by the game itself vis a vis body checking and the boards. The brain isn’t welded to the skull and they’re finding interesting things about how the brain relates to traumas. I think we are going to find that repetitive “casual” head jerks are the main component and unless you are a regular fighter you get far more of it via regular play.

Frankly, it’s going to make us think a lot about direct contact sports like hockey and football which is sad because I like hockey the way it generally is right now
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
            X