Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    How did 15 Texas get a game against 5 Georgia?
    If not in the playoff or hosting, SEC champ plays Big XII champ in the Sugar. If they're in the playoff, the highest ranking conference teams play
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Re: College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team

Here's the rub with our current state of football:

I really do feel that year in/year out, you can make a case for 5-8 teams to win an 8 team playoff. Yes, the difference between Seed 1 and 8 will be noticeable after a 12-13 game regular season. But team 8 can still maybe put up a fight against the 1 seed... Teams 7, 6, and 5 stand a better chance at winning at least 1 game, and depending on the year, can make a case for the whole thing... I'm also willing to acknowledge that there will be blowouts in this scenario... But for a number of factors (main one being preconceived notions of "Good and Bad" (Conference affiliation and preseason polls/power rankings)) the deck is stacked.

The thing is, this varies greatly year to year... But by going to 8, you have all your bases covered... At that point, no one is left out. But how many times have teams that were left out had legitimate cases to be included? This season, look at Georgia and/or UCF. You've seen similar in years past.
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

I really do feel that year in/year out, you can make a case for 5-8 teams to win an 8 team playoff. Yes, the difference between Seed 1 and 8 will be noticeable after a 12-13 game regular season. But team 8 can still maybe put up a fight against the 1 seed... Teams 7, 6, and 5 stand a better chance at winning at least 1 game, and depending on the year, can make a case for the whole thing... I'm also willing to acknowledge that there will be blowouts in this scenario... But for a number of factors (main one being preconceived notions of "Good and Bad" (Conference affiliation and preseason polls/power rankings)) the deck is stacked.

The thing is, this varies greatly year to year... But by going to 8, you have all your bases covered... At that point, no one is left out. But how many times have teams that were left out had legitimate cases to be included? This season, look at Georgia and/or UCF. You've seen similar in years past.
        And with all college sports, you have a definite turnover in players. Lots of seniors? They gone after that year. Lots of freshmen? Could be a really good team for 2-4 years. Huge variable.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

DMB is still a thing?

Are Hootie and the Blowfish going to play the championship game?
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

There has never been 5 legitimate teams in a year that could have won the CFP.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Here's the only issue I see. Once we go to 8 (and I do think we're going to go to 8 sooner than later), someone's gonna get squeezed out of the #8 spot, so there's going to be a groundswell to go to 12...then 16....then 24. You can see it coming a mile away. If we can choke that off, then I'm all good.

God, that was fun...

Comment

And UCF has never been one of those 5.

God, that was fun...

Comment

This year screams for the old BCS playoff more than 8. Sagarin has Alabama, Clemson , then Georgia, OSU, Michigan, Notre Dame grouped farther back as from the 1st two than Missouri and WVU (12th, 13th) are from Georgia.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    And UCF has never been one of those 5.
                    Honestly, if UCF beats LSU, i want them to hang another national title sign.

I'd keep doing it as long as i have undefeated seasons if I'm not in power 5.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        This is more "Same two teams strangling everyone year after year" than "expand the playoff to create more mismatches."
                        Bingo. It’s no different that the 16-1 matchup in March madness. Dumb. I hate those games. Cut it back to 32.

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        UCF went up to Ann Arbor two years ago and gave up a 50-spot to Michigan.

If you want to see UCF-Bama or UCF-Clemson, that's fine. But anyone who thinks it would be any closer than what we're seeing tonight is a ****ed fool. It would be another buttocks-whooping, just in a different wrapper.
                        Also bingo.

Correct.

I support this 100%
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

DMB is still a thing?

Are Hootie and the Blowfish going to play the championship game?
                          Their concert tours are still very popular. More than most bands.

Comment

• Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                            Michigan didn't enjoy Being There while Chauncey Gardner-Johnson did more than watch
                            That is for sure. One would think that being embarrassed by their rival would have been a good motivation.

But it looked to be the opposite. Especially after not getting the quick score.

This is the same team than made Wisconsin, penn st and MSU all look pretty poor on offense. The only way they are that bad is if they don’t want to be there.

Which hangs heavy on the coaching staff.

This was the opposite of bowl game a few years ago when the teams were in opposite locations in the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              That is for sure. One would think that being embarrassed by their rival would have been a good motivation.

But it looked to be the opposite. Especially after not getting the quick score.

This is the same team than made Wisconsin, penn st and MSU all look pretty poor on offense. The only way they are that bad is if they don’t want to be there.

Which hangs heavy on the coaching staff.

This was the opposite of bowl game a few years ago when the teams were in opposite locations in the field.
                              I mean, everyone but Utah St and Indiana made MSU look pretty poor on offense.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

UCF went up to Ann Arbor two years ago and gave up a 50-spot to Michigan.

If you want to see UCF-Bama or UCF-Clemson, that's fine. But anyone who thinks it would be any closer than what we're seeing tonight is a ****ed fool. It would be another buttocks-whooping, just in a different wrapper.
                                That was a 6-7 UCF with a first year coach. Not the team that’s won 25 in a row.

Maybe UCF does get blown out, but that’s like pointing at 2016 ND for why they shouldn’t have been in the playoff this year.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X